Would like to hear from old timers like myself - the 70s

If you remember being called a Freak, you might be old enough...

The social classes in high school in 1974 were, Jocks, preps, goatropers and the Freaks.

of course this was in Cochise County Arizona, where primo mex was around $100 a lbs.

I have taken pot with me on lifes journeys, and now in my 50's I don't see any reason to not finnish the run together...

If you remember being called a Freak, you might be old enough...

The social classes in high school in 1974 were, Jocks, preps, goatropers and the Freaks.

of course this was in Cochise County Arizona, where primo mex was around $100 a lbs.

I have taken pot with me on lifes journeys, and now in my 50's I don't see any reason to not finnish the run together...

We had Jocks, Preps, and Heads as in Pot Heads

We had Jocks, Preps, and Heads as in Pot Heads

In North East Texas in 1973 - 1977 we had Hippies, Goat Ropers, Cowboys, Socialites...and yes we hippies were also known as "Freaks". We never took offense to it, in fact we took pride in it. It was amazing how naive the public (mainly the faculty) was to our high times back then. Once a bunch of the brothers were caught "smoking" on campus. The faculty member who saw them did not confront them he only turned their names over to the Principle. And he told the Principle that it must have been their last cigarette, because they were "passing it around" ...... ? Never occurred to them it was reefer.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. I graduated in 1968 (yea, I am OLD).

I used to pre-roll a couple and put them in my Marlboro cigarette box and head off to school. I was a senior. And a "lid" which was a baggie about as big around as your wrist, of medium grade Northern California skunk cost $10.

One day I was standing across the street from school, smoking a cigarette (tobacco). The boys dean walked up to me and said "hi" and asked me for a smoke. I really liked him, he was a good guy. I took the box outta my shirt pocket and started to open it to get him a smoke, and he took it from me. All the time talking, telling me something that he thought was important. Still talking, he opened it without looking, snagged a smoke and threw it in his mouth. I really didn't know what kind of smoke I was going to see hanging off his face - but, when I looked it was tobacco. He closed and handed the box back to me without ever looking inside.

My heart was beating so hard I couldn't even hear what he was saying. LoL.

Remember kids, this was back in the day when ONE JOINT could get you FIVE YEARS. Now, I was still a kid so I wouldn't have done prison - but expulsion from school and juvenile hall were a real possibility.

~Auggie~

In North East Texas in 1973 - 1977 we had Hippies, Goat Ropers, Cowboys, Socialites...and yes we hippies were also known as "Freaks". We never took offense to it, in fact we took pride in it. It was amazing how naive the public (mainly the faculty) was to our high times back then. Once a bunch of the brothers were caught "smoking" on campus. The faculty member who saw them did not confront them he only turned their names over to the Principle. And he told the Principle that it must have been their last cigarette, because they were "passing it around" ...... ? Never occurred to them it was reefer.

and you know, never seemed to think of how bad we must have reeked going back to class

This was a great post and read Rick - cheers brother. Love the use of the mic stand btw :) I remember all the Mexican schwag coming up to CO in the 80s. $30 1/4s, $100 lids, and $300 QPs and generally the bigger the purchase =ed bigger and more stems - and always enough seed you could have setup a small home biodiesel extractor. Then there was all the Kentucky farm schwag in the Midwest during the late 80s about the same price and quality as the Mexican. Then, one day I remember a short little bearded guy w/ fannie sack showing up on campus for a few days and turned a bunch of us on to this new stuff called 'hydro bud'. Months later once it was flooding markets (1989ish) the quality quadrupled and the price doubled. Bagseed became valuable commodity and 'couch lock' became a household term! Great history, thanks for sharing all. Happy Holidays :)

All 61 years of Geeman here. Black & white hash,hash oil,Thai,P.Red-all in the 70's.The best I've ever smoked was hawaii gold. No seeds and instant couch lock & nodding out on that stuff. :yummy:

I remember those "new fangled" Thai sticks (sort of :laughtwo:) ... and hash oil The latest and greatest around 1970 (?).
"Dime bags" were dime bags = $10 / oz.

A quarter oz. - nickel $5 ,half oz. -$10 , lid - $15 , oz. - $20 . And who tied those sticks ? I thought it was a cruel joke until it was smoked. Weird and different .:ganjamon:

Good story Auggie. Listen to this one. I was smoking with a friend in his car, and a State Trooper pulled us over for a light issue. The car was full of smoke. My friend rolled down the window, and the trooper gave us a warning. Then he said, "Could you guys spare some weed." Complete silence, then my friend gives him a joint, and off he goes. What a trip!

Not the first time I`ve told this story, but here it goes again. Set it up first. I`m a retired firefighter. We always had a police vs. firefighter golf tournament. There was a back-up at the #3 tee box. When we were the only foursome left, the one LEO looked at us, as he pulled out a joint and asked "do you mind ?". The answer was "hell no" as we pulled out a joint to pass. We had the "highest" score of the day. Had a great time that tournament. Everyone wondered what took us so long to finish. Later. Peace.

I like to share some of the things we did in 'the old days' with my current circle of young smokers. I love how their eyes light up when they first encounter a good hookah, loaded with good weed and some cheap, red, Italian wine. I have become known as 'the old expert!' FUN! And of course, my eyes still light up too!

:Namaste:

I'll toss a fun one into the mix...
In our area, most houses have small alley ways (about 3ft) going down each side to the back yard. I had just moved in and apparently the neighborhood kids had been using my house's alley way as a shortcut for a year to two while the house was unoccupied.
I was enjoying a nice bowl in a small side porch right off the alley way about 1/2 way down the house when I heard a noise. It was a kid opening the gate and heading down the alley way.
I stepped into the alley way and turned him around with some loud words. As I was bellowing in his general direction, a steady stream of nice dank herb smoke was billowing from my mouth with every word.
Surreal.

Back
Top Bottom