XS-1500 PRO: The Perfect Light For A Common Sized Space

About 2 months ago I was asked to use and review what I think of the xs1500. Is it worth it for one? How does it compete against the 100s of led already on the market? What makes this model a must have for every grower?

So first. I’ll answer fast, yes. Absolutely. Viparspectra xs1500 is completely worth it. It’s designed like a bar light, but at a compacted size to fit a 2x2 comfortably. I’m going to eventually flower a 2x2 with this light. I need a new tent for that. Give me some time. I’ll buy one specifically for that. Any how. Back on track.

What makes this light so much better? Effective efficiency and low levels of heat. I haven pushed passed 75%. Haven had to. Iv had other lights. Iv had to pin it with power to keep up dli. NOT THIS. I was impressed that I actually had to tone it down.

Why do I believe this model belongs in every growers arsenal? Well if you have a nursery, make tents, or just a 2x2 and looking for the right light to cover each corner and check every box. This is the light 100%. I don’t see myself using anything else for some time. I’m happy and content. And I know you will too.

Here’s some specs that’s easier on the eyes. I’ll have some harvest photos of some flower that I finished under these. If you wanna see flower cycle. It’s in my sig.

I need this title changed to XS-1500 PRO pretty please

A2793C84-DD6D-456B-BE33-853BB3976CA0.png

7AE6227E-EB7B-4EE6-8C45-F3E3B3848139.png

C0EC2EEF-7D2D-47A1-B824-6BD81E4EA594.png

525D93B7-8C36-4326-A1DE-5D275A5E240A.png

D0984BD2-7428-4CC7-98D2-24561A534CB6.png

4DAFDB1E-D3E0-485D-85F7-4C0D91F90B7D.png

7A93E358-4057-48BA-9A92-A414A25EE802.png

Here’s some 4 and 5 week flower shots. Under these exclusively from the day of flip. Beautiful spectrum, evened out the stretch quite well. Other than genetics bar. I’m impressed with how many nodes are on them. Triple to what I’m used to. And the only difference is the lights.

8AE10A68-EC71-40A4-8C29-AD0CA80F272B.jpeg

04ED2E5B-8C99-470D-92BE-C19272B47738.jpeg

9D63BD2E-03C8-4E10-90E4-1787B4049A29.jpeg

ED8B3460-3EE6-49CC-85E5-54D99109CE65.jpeg

21013ECE-9F56-47BC-A33A-D2216EC891C3.jpeg

About 2 months ago I was asked to use and review what I think of the xs1500. Is it worth it for one? How does it compete against the 100s of led already on the market? What makes this model a must have for every grower?

So first. I’ll answer fast, yes. Absolutely. Viparspectra xs1500 is completely worth it. It’s designed like a bar light, but at a compacted size to fit a 2x2 comfortably. I’m going to eventually flower a 2x2 with this light. I need a new tent for that. Give me some time. I’ll buy one specifically for that. Any how. Back on track.

What makes this light so much better? Effective efficiency and low levels of heat. I haven pushed passed 75%. Haven had to. Iv had other lights. Iv had to pin it with power to keep up dli. NOT THIS. I was impressed that I actually had to tone it down.

Why do I believe this model belongs in every growers arsenal? Well if you have a nursery, make tents, or just a 2x2 and looking for the right light to cover each corner and check every box. This is the light 100%. I don’t see myself using anything else for some time. I’m happy and content. And I know you will too.

nice review @CultivationArt - the only thing i'd like to see different is a dimming option with a full sweep instead of by percentages. it can be a real advantage, if you do go to the highest level, you can pull it back just a bit, giving the rig enough of a break to help it last at least 50% longer.

nice review @CultivationArt - the only thing i'd like to see different is a dimming option with a full sweep instead of by percentages. it can be a real advantage, if you do go to the highest level, you can pull it back just a bit, giving the rig enough of a break to help it last at least 50% longer.
I typically run my LEDs for the most part at 50% and no more than 75

I typically run my LEDs for the most part at 50% and no more than 75

i never run over 90% myself. full spec lights will drop parts of the spectrum when under driven. usually parts of the blue spectrum will disappear.

edit : different emitters at different kelvin have different thresholds.

i never run over 90% myself. full spec lights will drop parts of the spectrum when under driven. usually parts of the blue spectrum will disappear.

That’s cool to know

I kinda just go off the growth of the plant. My best response is about 70-75% peak flower with more than enough light. I rather dim down the extra light then max out the single light. This grows the most potent and best tasting and best looking FOR ME. Anytime I max it out. I get burns. And I can’t raise the lights any higher. I’m literally just listening to the plant. Otherwise I would crank 90% for sure.

I kinda just go off the growth of the plant. My best response is about 70-75% peak flower with more than enough light. I rather dim down the extra light then max out the single light. This grows the most potent and best tasting and best looking FOR ME. Anytime I max it out. I get burns. And I can’t raise the lights any higher. I’m literally just listening to the plant. Otherwise I would crank 90% for sure.

my experience is almost identical. pretty sure you have most things present in the emitters by 75%.

Thanks for reviewing the XS1500 PRO! @CultivationArt
The plants are grown nicely under it. May your harvest be bountiful! :thumb:

Also, thanks for your suggestions on the dimmer. @bluter:thanks:

Here’s an update and under the xs1500 pro and p1000. Xs1500 pro on the left and p1000 on the right. No burns. No bleaching. Still very early. And any burns is completely my fault on flipping later than I should’ve. But overall. Preforms like beast. I love this light. It really puts the work in. And as for heat. It gets warm if you have standing air. If you have good air flow. You can rest you hand on the top no problem.

Pic 1 p1000
Pic 2 xs1500pro

IMG_4862.jpeg

IMG_4863.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

I've looked this up and talked to electrical engineers and they've all told me this is not true. Dimming your lights doesn't affect the color spectra of the fixture.

"In contrast to MH and HPS grow lights, dimming LED grow lights does not affect the light spectrum or reduce efficiency. You can save electricity by using these dimmable LED grow lights because they require less current when they are dimmed." - Jacob Jones.

Most of the engineers told me running your fixtures at 100% for extended periods of time will shorten the lifespan of your fixture IF the fixture was not designed with an appropriate heat sink.

What will affect their performance is not cleaning them regularly. We introduce lots of fertilizers and chemicals into our gardens like sulfur and those chemical vapors can degrade diode performance over time.

I also have an XS1500Pro and will concur with the OP that it is a perfect light solution for a 2 x 2 space. It also has a silicone layer over the lights that make it easy to clean and keeps those vapors from affecting the diodes.

I had a few clones I had put outside too early and they began to flower so I brought them in and isolated them in my 2 x 2 tester but left them on a 12/12 schedule. I had another tent growing the same strain and the 2 x 2 produced some really nice, chunky flowers! I was impressed.

Build quality is good.

As has been mentioned, the only con to the light is the dimmer which I would prefer be full sweep rather than stepped.

I've looked this up and talked to electrical engineers and they've all told me this is not true. Dimming your lights doesn't affect the color spectra of the fixture.

"In contrast to MH and HPS grow lights, dimming LED grow lights does not affect the light spectrum or reduce efficiency. You can save electricity by using these dimmable LED grow lights because they require less current when they are dimmed." - Jacob Jones

What will affect their performance is not cleaning them regularly. We introduce lots of fertilizers and chemicals into our gardens like sulfur and those chemical vapors can degrade diode performance over time.

I also have an XS1500Pro and will concur with the OP that it is a perfect light solution for a 2 x 2 space.

I had a few clones I had put outside too early and they began to flower so I brought them in and isolated them in my 2 x 2 tester but left them on a 12/12 schedule. I had another tent growing the same strain and the 2 x 2 produced some really nice, chunky flowers! I was impressed.

Build quality is good.

As has been mentioned, the only con to the light is the dimmer which I would prefer be full sweep rather than stepped.

that holds so long as all the emitters are the same kelvin.

different kevin emitters 'excite' or become active at different thresholds. output is not even across all emitters. full spec lights are created with a mix of several kelvin.

if the dimmer input is good enough you will notice some emitters are brighter at very low levels than others. at the extreme you will get some beginning to glow while others remain either dark or very dim.

it's far easier to notice the effect on old style cob, as the emitter is huge with a much larger area, and is isolated better from other cobs of different k.

when working with led in production rigs, i can color mix by dropping or adding different k in or out of the spectrum with different dimming levels on individual kelvin emitters. the mixing board is made to isolate different k.

if you look at light spectrum graphs you will notice they all have dips and valleys. if all the k were present at the same levels you would only see smooth even bell curves.

When I had my conversations with them they mentioned something about linear curve vs square wave. I got lost when they started getting deep in the weeds!!! 😄

So what I'm taking from your post is that each diode color has a specific voltage that it needs to excite it to it's maximum performance? For example, if blue diodes don't need as much energy to reach peak performance as red then at 50% Blue will be at max performance but red will drop from its peak performance it needing more voltage to excite the diode into peak performance?

Speaking of Kelvin....you stated that each diode has its own kelvin. When adjusting your light meter app what do you set your light kelvin to? 6500K, 5000K, 4500k?

Back
Top Bottom