Yellow white leaves almost overnight

Jedisam

420 Member
Hi all,

First time posting - first time growing

I started germination in a peat puck which worked great. I already had a seedling poking out the next day. At 1 week I was ready to plant her in a pot. I had read that the cloth around the outside of the puck doesn't decompose and I cut it off (noting that no roots had begun to poke through it yet) before transferring her to her first pot.

I started noticing when I went to water her that the puck would stay wet for nearly a week while the growing medium dried out in two or three days. This confused me... When overwatering is such a prevalent issue how could a damp soggy puck hugging the roots be healthy? I did my best mostly going 3 days between watering (going for the wet/dry cycle) even waiting once 5 days in between watering. While growth was slow, it didn't seem to show any symptoms of harm...

When I went to transfer her to her final home I had allowed her to dry out for 3 days and everything fell away nicely... except the peat puck. I squeezed it gently and about half of it crumbled off in my hand. I didn't want to touch the rest as the roots had grown well past it at this point but I'm afraid I damaged it.

Just a day later when I checked on her, the bottom set of leaves had gone almost completely yellow white and papery and the set above it had started as well. After a few days both sets fell off at a slight touch.

It's been about a week or so from the transfer. Attached below is what it looks like now.

If I had to guess I'd think I damaged the roots in the transfer... that being said, I know nothing from nothing about this. Can she be saved?

Thank you very much in advanced for any and all insight.

Details:
Growing medium
: coco coir
Watering: Bottled mineral water - Every 2-3 days (Only started introducing Fert at about 4 weeks. I would have started sooner but she seemed small - about 3.5 inches tall and only two sets of leaves at that point - I might have waited a bit longer as well but the leaves had started to look a little pale)
Fertilizers: Simple 3 pre mixed bottles, one for growing, on for flowering and the last is a 'booster'.
Light: Started with a household white CFL, moved on to a 250w white CFL at the same time as starting the fertilizers (placed starting at about 3 feet above the plant). After about a week or so I lowered it to about a foot and a half from the top where it is currently.
Temps: 99% of the time has remained between 76-80. Low of 72, high of 82? Has remained fairly consistent
Humidity: Averages about 50-55% most of the time. Dipped down to 25% at one point for a couple days when she was about a month old.

Attachments

• port=download&id=1bozxiq2my99N0VytXCD9q7vdFpVdx4zn.jpg
    port=download&id=1bozxiq2my99N0VytXCD9q7vdFpVdx4zn.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 26
  • port=download&id=17jUer2Ww7AxBZ7INjYDStkL7rPEFLZsd.jpg
    port=download&id=17jUer2Ww7AxBZ7INjYDStkL7rPEFLZsd.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 27
  • port=download&id=1KRUJqfacvWOku9oHgdnmAw7mpCD5Rfwv.jpg
    port=download&id=1KRUJqfacvWOku9oHgdnmAw7mpCD5Rfwv.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 26
  • port=download&id=1LDqQ8jnvLtSI8cTxcVZe53I6QqOwMWBQ.jpg
    port=download&id=1LDqQ8jnvLtSI8cTxcVZe53I6QqOwMWBQ.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Details:
Growing medium
: coco coir
Watering: Every 2-3 days (Only started introducing Fert at about 4 weeks. I would have started sooner but she seemed small - about 3.5 inches tall and only two sets of leaves at that point - I might have waited a bit longer as well but the leaves had started to look a little pale)
Fertilizers: Simple 3 pre mixed bottles, one for growing, on for flowering and the last is a 'booster'.
Light: Started with a household white CFL, moved on to a 250w white CFL at the same time as starting the fertilizers (placed starting at about 3 feet above the plant). After about a week or so I lowered it to about a foot and a half from the top where it is currently.
Temps: 99% of the time has remained between 76-80. Low of 72, high of 82? Has remained fairly consistent
Humidity: Averages about 50-55% most of the time. Dipped down to 25% at one point for a couple days when she was about a month old.
Wassup Padawan, :ciao: ...touching the roots won't hurt them, unless you force them to stretch or something, cuz they don't stretch, they snap :rofl:

First, if you continue to grow in coco, you need to read about it, it has no nutrients in it, and you have to keep it moist...

Now :nerd-with-glasses: you have to water at least twice a day with cal-mag and small amounts of nutrients, and you'll have to PH it to 5.5 and no higher than 5.8...twice a day...

Can I talk you into fox farms ocean forest soil, or fox farms happy frog soil? It' much easier and you don't have to water everyday, and if you use their nutrients, no need to PH anything...I use the Ocean Forest soil myself :thumb:

Coco coir is essentially hydroponics. She's underwatered and starved near to death.. Appears to be an auto? It has already started flowering. I'm afraid your gonna have to start over she's beyond help at this point.

Auto's can kick in to flowering early? Not just early but like... only halfway to the 80 day mark?

In regards to the coco, I know I said first grow and while that's technically true for a female plant I had found a random seed at one point and grew it, turned out to be a male but it thrived in the coco with a very similar watering regimen.

Wassup Padawan, :ciao: ...touching the roots won't hurt them, unless you force them to stretch or something, cuz they don't stretch, they snap :rofl:

First, if you continue to grow in coco, you need to read about it, it has no nutrients in it, and you have to keep it moist...

Now :nerd-with-glasses: you have to water at least twice a day with cal-mag and small amounts of nutrients, and you'll have to PH it to 5.5 and no higher than 5.8...twice a day...

Can I talk you into fox farms ocean forest soil, or fox farms happy frog soil? It' much easier and you don't have to water everyday, and if you use their nutrients, no need to PH anything...I use the Ocean Forest soil myself :thumb:

You could certainly talk me into those master ;)

IF they were sold where I live. Unfortunately I doubt they exist in my foreign far away country ;)

For reference coco seems to do best between 5.8 and 6.2 ph. Calmag isn't necessary in many cases either.
I haven't done coco in years, so I will differ to your knowledge Master PE :rofl:
Auto's can kick in to flowering early? Not just early but like... only halfway to the 80 day mark?

In regards to the coco, I know I said first grow and while that's technically true for a female plant I had found a random seed at one point and grew it, turned out to be a male but it thrived in the coco with a very similar watering regimen.
Yes, they usually take longer than stated...here's my Northern Lights auto at 51 days from sprout...

You could certainly talk me into those master ;)

IF they were sold where I live. Unfortunately I doubt they exist in my foreign far away country ;)
Look into super soil recipes...they're just water and grow...google is your friend :thumb:

Well thank you both very much. I don't have a PH meter unfortunately and while I can get one, I'm using pre-mixed nutrient series so there's not much to play with except for how many ml to add to the water.

Someone told me that I should offset the nutrient schedule that comes with the nutrient series by two weeks when dealing with autos. So basically nothing for the first two weeks and then start? Is that hogwash or good advice?

As far as twice a day watering... first I'll say I'm pretty sure it's coco... I'm not 100% as I'm translating from another language and months ago when I bought the stuff. But it does stay fairly moist to about an inch and a half depth for 2-3 days... Which I probably mistakenly understood was the measure of when to add water.

Well thank you both very much. I don't have a PH meter unfortunately and while I can get one, I'm using pre-mixed nutrient series so there's not much to play with except for how many ml to add to the water.

Someone told me that I should offset the nutrient schedule that comes with the nutrient series by two weeks when dealing with autos. So basically nothing for the first two weeks and then start? Is that hogwash or good advice?

As far as twice a day watering... first I'll say I'm pretty sure it's coco... I'm not 100% as I'm translating from another language and months ago when I bought the stuff. But it does stay fairly moist to about an inch and a half depth for 2-3 days... Which I probably mistakenly understood was the measure of when to add water.
It's hogwash, my autos get nutrients as soon as they form a tap root...straight from my soil :thumb:

Awesome guys... the force is strong with you

Do you guys have any experience/preference/tips regarding the peat pucks? Should I bother with them?

Also, and don't hurt me if this is a completely ignorant question lol, can I pop the top bit off my stalk and smoke it before trashing the rest? :p

Waste not want not ;)

Also, and don't hurt me if this is a completely ignorant question lol, can I pop the top bit off my stalk and smoke it before trashing the rest? :p

Waste not want not ;)
In my experience, it takes a good 5 weeks of flowering, to produce anything that will catch you a buzz...but hey it's yours :thumb: try it :lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom