Which side do I use?

TheDirtDoctor

I'm having trouble trying to figure out which side of the aluminum foil to use to line my beginners grow box. I will eventually use mylar, but tight on money. I know one side is shinier but is that the side to have facing out with the plants and lights?

What about using cheap car sun reflectors that use mylar? Just cut and glue it to the inside

You probably won't notice that much of a difference between covering it with a reflective metallic and covering it with white. I have never used mylar or tin foil for my grows, but every once in a while, I put up black and white polly plastic just to protect the walls from sprays. It's my opinion that metallic reflectives are good for light reflector hoods and not the walls

I don't think it makes a difference to the plants, but if it's inside, you might want to roll it on so it doesn't get everywhere. My mom room has wood paneling that I haven't ever covered up. Seems to do fine. I think I would cover it with white if I wanted to bloom in there though.

The box that I am constructing is simply a cardboard standing closet that came with a metal beam to hang on. I had to modify it and cut a door for lower access. I'm using 2-3 bulb vanity lights with a y in each socket. I'm going to mount the two lights side by side giving me a total of 12 cfls. Any pointers?

If you are going to use foil then use the less reflective side out. I paint my walls flat white with good results. Mylar blankets are nice but for me finding them was an issue. I have used tin foil with fine results..... Even a can of semi gloss white paint being sprayed in there would be more then suffice. All your going for is to not loose light by being absorbed other places in your grow environment. White or tin foil tend to refect giving the light energy another chance to get to your plants.

The box that I am constructing is simply a cardboard standing closet that came with a metal beam to hang on. I had to modify it and cut a door for lower access. I'm using 2-3 bulb vanity lights with a y in each socket. I'm going to mount the two lights side by side giving me a total of 12 cfls. Any pointers?

Hopefully someone that is familiar with cfls will chime in. I've never used them to grow any kind of plants. What watt cfls are you using?

I just went and bought some white spray paint. I'll be taking the box outside soon to paint it. I am also in the process of constructing my 12 light cfl chandelier. I will be posting pictures of everything once it starts rolling. Thanks for the helpful support. Any other information is always welcome.

Ok, I have the box painted and dry. But how do I get rid of the paint smell? Can this harm the growth of any plants in the future? And since I'm new at this, how do I post pictures?

Cardboard is very flammable. I don't recommend using lights, not even cfls, in a cardboard box.

Back
Top Bottom