Advice needed regarding SCROG issue

HardCast

OK, so a little background. My last grow (which was my first grow), I manifolded 3 plants grown in hydro. The plants did very well (health wise) but I had way too much popcorn bud which I believe stunted the growth of the main flowers - they were not very dense. I harvested 11 quarts so the quantity was great but again, the density was not to my liking. So, I decided this time I would try SCROG and trim everything off below the screen, hoping that all the flowers would get good light.

Unfortunately, this is not working out very well. I vegged for 6 weeks (from seed), which filled out the screen about 80%. I continued to weave the branches through the screen for 2 weeks into flower and I just ran out of room (filled the screen) by then so I stooped weaving. So now I am starting week 4 of flower and one of the plants has gone psycho! This one plant is 3-4 times the size of the others - not just in width but in height. She has stretched about 3 feet in 1 1/2 weeks. She is blocking out the light for the 3 other plants and all of the colas are so long that I fear I am going to have the same issue as last time where the lower parts of the cola flowers will not develop well and just rob the top flowers of nutrients.

Let me know what I may have done wrong? I think I may have been better off planting just one of these plants for the 4x4 foot area and just kept weaving for at least another week?

Is there anything I can do at this point to slow down her stretch? I only have about 8 more inches of hight to raise the light. I trimmed everything off below the screen, should I trim more off above the screen on this one plant? Any other advice?

IMG_119544.JPG
IMG_119648.JPG
IMG_119746.JPG

I am not a scrogger as of yet. But your net seems to low. But maybe you just need a second one. You must look at scrogdawgs scrogging. I will see if I can get him here. Your plants look healthy. Also I would defole a little.

By the look of the leaves I'd say you have a sativa there and they are tough even in a scrog because they grow so tall. Bout all you can do now is try super cropping the branches on the tall one and maybe tie them back a little. I had a sativa get away on me last grow like that and it grew right up passed the lights in the tent.

Good luck.

your net seems to low. But maybe you just need a second one.
TG - I went 12" because this was at the high end of most of the tutorials that I read.

Regarding adding another screen; this might increase the problem I already have because I would be weaving the larger plant over the top of the other plants?

Scrogdawg - These plants are Grand Daddy Purple which I believe is mostly indica. You think supper cropping at 4 weeks into flower is OK? Even if I did that, as I stated to TG above, I think that could exacerbate the problem by spreading out the tall plant over the other 3 and they would get even less light unless I could keep the plant in the same area as it is in now. Again though, what would i do with everything under the top foot of colas that is not getting light - trim some?

Too many plants for a SCROG that size. You ran out of space to tuck properly.

If I was going to do a SCROG in a small grow area I'd do a single plant in a 10 gallon pot. Top the hell out of it and use whatever training techniques you're comfortable with and you should have a monster plant after a 2 month veg.

Back
Top Bottom