Should I flip to flowering? 13/11?

Hi,

I need some advice about going to flowering. I have a grow journal in progress but I guess it maybe not as visited as this forum. As I don't want to double post would you mind helping me? All the details of my question are in this post :

Blue Dream x Tutankhamon x Green Crack

:Namaste::circle-of-love:

In case someone would be interested I ve been on 13/11 for 6 days and first lil pistils are starting to appear on every plants. Seems that going from 20/4 straight to 13/11 was enough to trigger flowering. Now let's see how it will go on and if I can get a big harvest (I can't compare to 12/12)

Going from 20/4 to 13/11 will definitely trigger flowering.

Just curious why your giving them 13 hours of light instead of 12 or 11? I would never give that much light to a flowering plant.

Just curious why your giving them 13 hours of light instead of 12 or 11? I would never give that much light to a flowering plant.

Hi,

I m doing it because of my hours of readings on forums and grow journals. Many people claim they had more yields. It may also take one week more what it would normally under 12/12 but many growers say it s worthy. From what I could read many strains get more than 12 hours of direct light in nature and flower well. When you shorter the light hours, the plants finish quicker. Flowering under 10/14 will finish faster than 12/12. Many growers choose longer nights when they want to finish faster. So I think if a particular strain in some places in nature flower with for example 14 hours of direct sunlight, it s because they got used to it and developed in that way. I guess putting those varieties under less sun may prevent them to reach their full potential.

Anyway I don't know and I m just experimenting as again I saw many growers and even some who had made comparisons, pretending they were getting a bit more yields with 13/11

You'd be better off with 11/13 than 13/11.

You'd be better off with 11/13 than 13/11.
Matter of point of view... Unfortunately there is no one who took time to make a time-lapse of that experiment. I ve seen people reporting 11/13 to give more potency bud smaller buds. I also so people saying 11/13 give same results as 12/12 but with less power cost. I ll see. I don't plan to grow anymore after this upcoming harvest so I don't care paying a bit more electricity bill

Hi,

I m doing it because of my hours of readings on forums and grow journals. Many people claim they had more yields. It may also take one week more what it would normally under 12/12 but many growers say it s worthy. From what I could read many strains get more than 12 hours of direct light in nature and flower well. When you shorter the light hours, the plants finish quicker. Flowering under 10/14 will finish faster than 12/12. Many growers choose longer nights when they want to finish faster. So I think if a particular strain in some places in nature flower with for example 14 hours of direct sunlight, it s because they got used to it and developed in that way. I guess putting those varieties under less sun may prevent them to reach their full potential.

Anyway I don't know and I m just experimenting as again I saw many growers and even some who had made comparisons, pretending they were getting a bit more yields with 13/11

Makes sense. If it still keeps the phytochrome ratios to induce flowering, but has more hours per day for photosynthesis, that will invariably mean more growth. Plus as you said, many strains do flower with more than 12 hours of light per day, but I believe 12/12 was developed specifically to insure induced flowering and that you might need strains that are more acclimated to outdoor light schedules like landrace strains than modern hybrids produced under indoor 12/12 lighting schedules.

As far as plants finishing faster with increased dark... I don't know about all that. I feel like that's just a placebo effect people have or something.

Makes sense. If it still keeps the phytochrome ratios to induce flowering, but has more hours per day for photosynthesis, that will invariably mean more growth. Plus as you said, many strains do flower with more than 12 hours of light per day, but I believe 12/12 was developed specifically to insure induced flowering and that you might need strains that are more acclimated to outdoor light schedules like landrace strains than modern hybrids produced under indoor 12/12 lighting schedules.

As far as plants finishing faster with increased dark... I don't know about all that. I feel like that's just a placebo effect people have or something.
Yep I understand. Will see then. I don't think it will change a lot so I m ok with that as again it s my last grow of the year so I don't care being patient (even if it s hard)

Well, once you get to 14 hours you risk accidentally re-vegging the plants, and 13 hours is just too close to that point for my liking. Besides, resin production happens when the lights are off. There are plenty of studies proving that 13 hours of darkness actually increases resin production over 13 hours of light while also lowering your electricity bill a little bit. To me its a no brainer.

Well, once you get to 14 hours you risk accidentally re-vegging the plants, and 13 hours is just too close to that point for my liking. Besides, resin production happens when the lights are off. There are plenty of studies proving that 13 hours of darkness actually increases resin production over 13 hours of light while also lowering your electricity bill a little bit. To me its a no brainer.

Thanks for 'splaining. :)

BTW, I grew an auto with 24/0 light from seed to harvest and had great resin production--she was a sticky mess!--which would seem to run counter to the notion of resin production happening in darkness...

Thanks for 'splaining. :)

BTW, I grew an auto with 24/0 light from seed to harvest and had great resin production--she was a sticky mess!--which would seem to run counter to the notion of resin production happening in darkness...

That's genetic. Autoflowers are very different from photo period plants.

That's genetic. Autoflowers are very different from photo period plants.
True.

I understand your point of view regarding the fact 13 is too close of 14 but it still 1h different. Anyway I ve spent time this afternoon trying to know more about that but can't find anyone who really made a true comparison of the different flowering light schedules.... It s just people saying it's better or not.... A bit the same story with defoliation.....

Can I get a link to these studies? I'm always curious to see information regarding stuff like this.

I ve spent time this afternoon trying to know more about that but can't find anyone who really made a true comparison of the different flowering light schedules.... It s just people saying it's better or not.... A bit the same story with defoliation.....

That's pretty much the case with everything related to cannabis culture--it's pretty much all hearsay and folklore and acquired experience.

Back
Top Bottom