1st Grow, RainForest 318, 400W HID, Chronic Haze, Yumbolt47, California Dream

Bolivar

I started the grow a month ago on Oct. 20, and wasn't even going to post a journal because the only camera I had was a POS Tracfone cam, and the pics are terrible. I did keep taking pics for my own use, though, and since I think I'm going to get a proper camera after the 1st of the month, what I've got so far may be of interest to some people.

Those who might be interested are those who are about to do a first grow (like I am), those who are interested in how the RainForest system works, and those who are interested in any of the 3 strains I'm growing (and I hope I can get them to harvest...).

My objectives with the grow were:
1) Learn how things go and how things look in a real-life grow, rather than pics of other people's experiences.
2) Figure out nutes. So many different brands, regimens, dosages, etc. to decide on. I decided to go with the GH nutes that came with the RainForest, and go way easy on the dosages (thinking that it's a lot easier to add more than it is to remove stuff from the res...).
3) How to control temp, humidity, and air circulation.
4) Best lighting schedules and heights.
5) When to switch from veg to bloom, and when to harvest.
6) Characteristics of the 3 strains.

So far, no big problems. But I'll start at the beginning...

First, the seeds:

I bought the California Dream seeds several months ago, back when I thought I was closer to starting than I actually was... I got them from Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds, and this is their description (corrected for spelling, lol):
This lady strain has her roots in California. Smoke her and she will take control of your mind, body and soul.
Lose your mind and find yourself in a psychedelic californian dream.

California Dream is a indica / sativa hybrid. She doesnt grow too tall and she will be ready for harvest after 8 weeks of flowering.

A large producer under optimum conditions. BIG FAT BUDS covered with loads of resin.

So no info as to genetics, basically.

The other seeds are from Attitude. The Yumbolt47 is a cross of Yumbolt and AK47. The Chronic Haze is a cross between Chronic and Haze (who'da guessed?). I found out later that the two share a lot of ancestors, so may not turn out to be all that different in characteristics.

I also started the 2 freebies that were included, L.A. Woman and Sour Cream, but they're no longer with us...

All seeds are feminized.

Oct 20 - 2 am: Put seeds in paper towels inside Germination Station (dome, heating mat). 2 YB47, 2 ChrH, 1 LAW, 1 SC.

Oct 21 - 1 am: All seeds cracked except LAW.
Afternoon: Put the 5 cracked seeds into Rapid Rooters under dome.

Tested newly-arrived RainForest, put hydroton in to soak.

Oct 22 - 3 am: Seedlings broke ground and are shedding seed coats.

1022090310.jpg

Put floor lamp over dome (just to provide SOME kind of light, no flourescents available)
Set up Darkroom 150, hung 400W HID with MH.

Accidentally strangled the SC, by propping it up with a split toothpick. The toothpick absorbed water from the Rapid Rooter, swelled up, and squeezed the stem till it died. Bummer. Lesson learned...

The LAW still not showing a crack, so put 2 California Dreams into paper towels.

10/24 - 0005: Put the 2 CDs into Rapid Rooters. Probably a bit early, as the roots were just barely peeking out of the seeds. Put the RRs into the tray with the other 4. Temp is around 80, RH is at 39-40%.

1800: Light is about 24" from plants under MH, temp 87, RH 42%.
CDs already peeking out from the surface of the RRs. Looks like the first 4 have stopped stretching for the light, and are leafing out more.

2045: Mixed nutes in RainForest (plants still in tray, not in RF). Added 9ml ea. of GH Grow, Micro, and Bloom (31% of recommended for seedlings).

10/25 - 0140: The YB47s and ChrHs are showing roots out of the RR plugs, so moved the RF into the tent and potted the 4 RR plugs into hydroton inside 3" netpots. Started the RF up, and had too much vibration for my liking, so put some iron weights on the top, which helped. Eventually the vibration went away and the RF is nearly silent except for the sound of the spray hitting the sides of the res. The 2 CDs are gaining altitude in the dome still.

1025090230.jpg

1025090231.jpg

0900: The 2 CDs are coming along under the dome. Had to help them off with their seed coats. They look pale but healthy.

1600: Put the CDs in the dome under MH in tent.

2215: Put the CDs into netpots in the RF.

Temp 85, RH 50%

Bolivar,
Looks like they are stretching like crazy. May want to move your light closer. Looks like we started our grows on the same day. Best of luck to you.

I think you're right, Screwnuts. Next time I germinate I'm going to use a proper light when they come out. The too-long stems were a weak link that I had to keep addressing for the first few weeks. Had to prop them up to keep them from falling over under the weight of the leaves.

my plan is to go for the 6 but go into 12/12 pretty quick..maybe scrog (much to learn)......

Yes, I think you could work them OK with scrog. I was going to do that, but decided there wasn't enough room in the tent to get my big ass around filling the screen.
I think next time I'll have a larger system in a larger tent, and probably will build a screen, maybe using the RainForest for vegging only. Too early to know enough to decide on that yet.

10/26 - 0140: Added some pH down. Added 3ml ea. of Grow and Bloom, 1.5ml Micro.
1450: pH good, added 3ml ea. of Grow, Micro, and Bloom. (11 gal. reservoir).
Checked netpots to see if any roots made it out yet, negative results.

The 2 YB47s are at top right and lower left, the ChrHs are at top left and lower right (don't ask). the 2 little farts in the middle are the CDs. Had to prop them up with the rubber pucks because the stems were so flimsy.
102609111.jpg

102609112.jpg

10/29 - No pics. More visible growth, all look healthy, first 4 still have spindly stems. pH still fine.

10/30 - pH still good, everybody looking healthy. Leaving lights at 24/0...

ChrH 1 and CD 2:
1030090830.jpg

YB47 1, CD 1, ChrH 2, front to back:
1030090831.jpg

YB47 2 and CD 2 (right to left):
1030090832.jpg

CD 1 and ChrH 2:
1030090833.jpg

The CDs are starting to catch up with the first 4.

Nov 2 - 0825: Added 36ml Growth, 18ml Micro.
Roots have reached the water in the reservoir.

No pics.

Nov 3 - 1500: Some leaves showing heat stress, turned off light for 30 min., got temp down 12 degrees, RH up a bit. pH still good, plants looking healthy, roots in reservoir growing lots of branches. No pics.

Nov 4 - 1405: Added 25ml Growth, 15ml Micro (Going to highlight all nutrient additions from now on, will go back and edit the earlier ones). Added some tap water as well. Raised light higher, plants responded favorably after a few hours.

1104091230.jpg

1104091231.jpg

Nov 9 - A day short of 3 weeks from seeds into paper towels.
0900: Started 12/12 (Should've waited at least a week)
2100: Lights on, YB47 2 fell over in the dark and pinched its stem. Stood it back up and propped it, but it's hanging by a thread. Not too optimistic.
Others droopy after first sleep, but good color and looking good otherwise. Definitely too crowded.

11-09-09_210.jpg

11-09-09_211.jpg

Back
Top Bottom