My First Indoor Grow 2400w HPS Soil Medium - Advice Welcome

Dasher

MY FIRST INDOOR GROW
My first journal as well so here goes basically for my first grow i will be constructing an indoor grow room, i will be using 4 x 600watt High Pressure Sodium Lights with plants growing in a soil medium.
Mission Statement
My intention is to grow sixteen plants and yield 32 oz dry as efficiently and cheaply for my knowledge and this basic system. As its my first grow i will try to follow "Keep It Simple Stupid" principles along with advice and support from a grower who's basic system i will be copying and anyone else who could give me advice, hopefully you.

My Grow Stuff, so far.....
4 x 600watt HPS sets (Ballast, Lights, Shades + Chains)
Auto on/off Power Timer
Double Power Adapters
2 x 20ltr Bags Medium Grade Potting Mix.
16 x Jiffy Pots
"Clonex" Rooting Hormone Gel
Liquide Fert "Powerfeed" NPK 12,1.4,7
2x stand house fans
Thermostat Radiator Heater

So at this stage i have built my light tight room in the corner of the garage it measures approx 11 x 8 feet , i've painted walls high gloss white and hung lights. Ive light tightened with window seal.

My First Room

Re: My First Indoor Grow 2400w HPS Soil Medium- Advice sought.

Outside_Room.jpg
Outside_Room.jpg
Open_Door1.jpg
Room_24.jpg
Early_Days.jpg
Looking_Out.jpg

FIRST GROW DAY 1
Lets get started, Yeee Ha !
I have secured a small cloned female of what the grower calls Hesketh Hurry Up an older Far North NZ predominantly Sativa strain x Ice, this cross has a uplifting, heady high and its yield qualities seem ok considering the basic grow method ive observed. Ive put it under 600watt HPS on 18/6 at about 20 inches from top.
FIRST GROW DAY 7
Cloning Day: After a week the plant is at a stage where i believe i can harvest the clone cuttings (another first for me).
After watching some cloning on u tube, 19 tips were angle cut, stems quickly immersed in "Clonex" cloning gel, and placed in jiffy pots. I also recieved 10 clones harvested today of a new strain. Out of all these i want 8 Hesketh Hurry Ups and 8 of the new strain to raise to maturity, Ive started with 29 clones all up for safety in getting my sixteen and i dont want the mum anymore therefor ive taken all decent tips off (nineteen) and then she was laid to rest (poor girl it wasnt easy, but she had been badly raped) anyway not sure what strain or strains for next grow and have access to these current strain mothers. I intend to purchase a tent for veg cycle to increase production. All going well i will have decided what strain to grow and be veged up and ready to flip as my current crop is finishing.

All these have been been in the DIY clone box for three days under 1x 20watt fluoro light running 18/6 which is maintaining a constant 24 degree temperature inside box. Im misting with tank water (unknown ph) with no additives 3 times daily. I have been using a heater in the room to maintain the temp of 24 when the lights off.
Clone_Box_Setup_1.jpg

Just before misting
Clones_Day_3.jpg

I think theyre taking ok any comments ?
Clones_close_up_Day_3.jpg

the two strains, Hurry up on the right. I brought the wrong sized jiffy, wrong as far as i could have done it cheaper, which is an important philosophy and reality of my grow lol, one of many first time mistakes i expect to make.
2_Clones_Day_3.jpg

i have no idea of ph of my rain tank water, heard water should have ph around 5.8, will endeavour to find out as depending how expensive and trouble it is, id like to have it at a good ph level. No sign of roots extending from jiffy sides yet but not expecting to until around day 7-9 hopefully sooner but maybe later, i should just be hoping enough survive to get my healthy 16.

This is where im at if there are any hints tips or comments id be thankful to hear them:thumb:

Re: My First Indoor Grow 2400w HPS Soil Medium- Advice sought

Improve your lighting efficiency with durable, 5.5mil thick black and white Panda Film. The white surface of our Panda Film reflects 90% of light omitted and the black surface prevents any light from penetrating through. The heavy-duty waterproof film also helps prevent algae and mold growth on walls.
:peace:

Clones 10 days old and stink no roots forming. This one was badly taken so opened her up and had a look.
i think i took them too large, or is this normal ?
Exposed_Stem_Clone_Day_5.jpg

Clone_Help1.jpg

any suggestions out there that if i were to take this stem as cutting what, where would i cut and what if any, i would strip off ?

Hi Dasher

I just happened to see your clone pic when I was uploading some of my own pics. You've got a nice setup there! I love how it's hidden.

Sometimes it just takes awhile to clone certain strains. I've never clones in those little pods you're using, but I've seen the pods. They should work OK. Keep them pretty moist is all. I've had clones take 10 days to start rooting. Your clone wasn't too big. Some folks take huge clones. I think they tend to wilt more. They do make bigger plants faster though. It's a matter of preference I guess. My cloner spacing is pretty tight too, so I need to take smaller clones to make them all fit.

You might want to try Rapid Rooters. That's the brand GH sells. I think there are other similar products, but I've used Rapid Rooters. I just started using the aero cloner, but since you're in soil, you would do well to use the RR plugs. I used to use rockwool for years with great success. I tried the RR plugs a couple months ago after hearing others rave about them. Now I know why. They are very nice to work with. Much better consistency than the little pods you're using. Those jiffy pods seemed like they just stuck some soil into a tiny mesh bag. I had really good success with them. You might like them.

They look fine, so just be patient. That one you opened up might be a lost cause now, but you could try recutting an putting it back in. You took extras, so hopefully enough will take. You really need some of these to root since you already culled the mother. I probably would have waited until the clones rooted, but ce la vie.

Good job getting the flat white paint up. I'm a fan of the panda plastic too, but flat white paint is nearly the same reflectivity, is cheaper, and more durable in some ways.

You're off to a great start. It will be great to see that room full of buds! :Namaste:

:rocker:
I would try cutting the first node and re try. I am not great at cloning
search jon705, Mcloadie they clone regularly

I also suggest adding a signature to make your info easily available

I checked out heaps of the clone information and found it a great help ill be taking my clones a little differently with greater confidence next time Cheers :thumb: also i wound up following Icemud's Hi Brix Gas Lantern grow (not sure how to link to journal) and was just blown away. i had to force myself to stop reading at 4am or id have been there all night. A level of plant and grow understanding to truly aspire to.

Honoured to have you aboard KingJohnC i appreciate your support.

:420: Rocks (so im giving back and get membership).\:drool:

Hi Dasher

I just happened to see your clone pic when I was uploading some of my own pics. You've got a nice setup there! I love how it's hidden.

Sometimes it just takes awhile to clone certain strains. I've never clones in those little pods you're using, but I've seen the pods. They should work OK. Keep them pretty moist is all. I've had clones take 10 days to start rooting. Your clone wasn't too big. Some folks take huge clones. I think they tend to wilt more. They do make bigger plants faster though. It's a matter of preference I guess. My cloner spacing is pretty tight too, so I need to take smaller clones to make them all fit.

You might want to try Rapid Rooters. That's the brand GH sells. I think there are other similar products, but I've used Rapid Rooters. I just started using the aero cloner, but since you're in soil, you would do well to use the RR plugs. I used to use rockwool for years with great success. I tried the RR plugs a couple months ago after hearing others rave about them. Now I know why. They are very nice to work with. Much better consistency than the little pods you're using. Those jiffy pods seemed like they just stuck some soil into a tiny mesh bag. I had really good success with them. You might like them.

They look fine, so just be patient. That one you opened up might be a lost cause now, but you could try recutting an putting it back in. You took extras, so hopefully enough will take. You really need some of these to root since you already culled the mother. I probably would have waited until the clones rooted, but ce la vie.

Good job getting the flat white paint up. I'm a fan of the panda plastic too, but flat white paint is nearly the same reflectivity, is cheaper, and more durable in some ways.

You're off to a great start. It will be great to see that room full of buds!

Hi Hiker thanks for your kind words:high-five: i feel blessed with the amount of room i have when i see some of the stealth spaces many are forced into, im amazed at there results tho adversity certainly breeds ingenuity. I have conservative neighbour farmers who pop around so thought id at least box it i. Your appraisal of the soil pot is spot on just soil wrapped in mesh, ill be checking out RR or equivalent on next visit to local garden centre. Im quite isolated here its 4 hr drive to closest dedicated grow shop but i suspect ill have a long list of much needed equipment when i next visit, reassuring to know the money spent will be based on informed choices. :thanks:

Hi Hiker thanks for your kind words:high-five: i feel blessed with the amount of room i have when i see some of the stealth spaces many are forced into, im amazed at there results tho adversity certainly breeds ingenuity. I have conservative neighbour farmers who pop around so thought id at least box it i. Your appraisal of the soil pot is spot on just soil wrapped in mesh, ill be checking out RR or equivalent on next visit to local garden centre. Im quite isolated here its 4 hr drive to closest dedicated grow shop but i suspect ill have a long list of much needed equipment when i next visit, reassuring to know the money spent will be based on informed choices. :thanks:

My first grow < I had appartment with 12' ceilings, but was in the middle of snitch island, I built a 18" sub floor put a dresser on ether side of the "ditch" for a 6x3x3 space with cfls and t8 fluorescents .
Now that I have a great space I can"t get away from the bending and lst
I do not remember where I was going with this but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back
Top Bottom