#1 Stealth Dresser Growbox - Afghan Kush Ryder Auto By WoS - CFL/LST/Scrog

Re: #1 Stealth dresser growbox, Afghan Kush Ryder auto. by WoS - CFL/LST/Scrog

hello mate, great work! your setup seems clean and great, and your plant seems great and fast growing!

I made tons of research before buying my equipment and seeds, and it seems that autoflowering strains don't like training, so I would not SCROG autoflowering plants. they do not have a long enough vegetative period. with auto's i suggest that you just let them do their thing bro.

remember, auto's don't depend on light cycles to trigger flowering stage, so the bigger they are when they flower, is the yield you are going to harvest.

i'm subbed to your journal and will keep an eye on your posts so keep that excellent work
cheers!

Hey man, thanks for stopping by. ;)

Same here, did tons of research on autoflowers and generally growing them. I know they don't like any kinds of stressful training, but I had this one method in mind the whole time which I think could actually work good.
Just to show what I exactly had in mind, I did my best to draw it in photoshop, figured it would be the easiest way (since I didn't really explain it in detail at all to begin with);

* Don't mind if the growth looks unrealistic, it's just to show the direction of the plant's growth :laughtwo:

So my plan is to try and expand the growth evenly throughout the scrog screen. Just letting it grow horizontally, at first under and then later above the screen. The main stem/s would go throughout the screen, making its way as long as it could (side branches too) and then I'd let the tops shoot up vertically also as much as they could. Wouldn't that be the best way to try and do this since I have limited space? Would that really be too much for her?

Because this way all the new growth will receive same amounts of light as everything else which would logically maximize all the possible growth until it starts flowering, right?
I haven't really told this theory/method yet to anyone so I really don't know if it makes sense to you guys as much as it does to me, so feel free express your thoughts on this one.

Cheers, netstatmen! :blunt:

MM, don't get me wrong. You may get the inexpensive soil probe that proves accurate. The next one off the assembly line could be totally wonk. How do you know? Equipment to accurately measure soil values cost some serious bucks and requires frequent calibration. Putting your faith in one of those probes is sort of like having faith in a half-blind taxi driver who forgot her glasses getting you to your destination safe and sound.

Folks who do hydo need to worry about pH more than soil folks. That is common knowledge. The dogma says 5.8 for hydro and 6.5 for soil. You've gotta ask yourself why is there a difference? The answer is that there is a huge herd of micro-organisms living in a symbiotic relationship in soil. In a nutshell, those various microorganisms live and die according to pH. They moderate soil pH on an ongoing basis. Folks who get a few tablespoons of runoff after watering assume that the runoff is an accurate measure of soil acidity or alkalinity. LOL! Most of them are not even aware that the pH scale is logarithmic. They are just parrots repeating the same old nonsense.

Nobody should feel bad if they don't understand logarithms or pH. It's one of those things that we may or may not have learned in school. If we did, we likely supposed we didn't need to know, and quickly forgot. Then we start growing weed and understanding it becomes, suddenly, relevant.

We could discuss hydrogen ion concentration and pH but we'd just get bogged down. The important thing is the logarithmic part. When we move down from a pH of 7.0 (neutral), a pH of 6.0 that is ten TIMES more acidic than 7.0. It is not 10% more acidic, it is ten TIMES more acidic. 5.0 is ten TIMES more acidic than 6.0, not 10% more acidic.

Think about that... The fact is, the total difference in relative acidity between pH 7.0 and pH 6.0 is equal to the total difference in acidity between 6.0 and 5.9... Working between 7.0 and 6.0 is like splitting hairs. If the pH of your water is 8.2, you need to be concerned. If it is 7.2 - meh, who gives a rat's ass? The biota in the soil will sort it out. There are countless resource on the web where people have spent far more time than I have in this post figuring out how to explain pH in terms that are easy to understand. Go find them. Don't pay much mind to some stoner on the forum who is just repeating what other stoners say. Those who understand it are not going to write detailed posts trying to explain it. Doing so takes a ton of time and effort, and they are not likely to explain it as well as someone who has put a huge amount of time and attention in to figuring how to put it all into laymen's terms.

Your SCRoG observations are very intuitive. I don't have any experience with autoflowers. You may want to look at my journal where I detail a SCRoG tequnique along the lines of what you are proposing. Your logic is very sound! +reps for sound thinking on the SCRoG!

sounds like a good plan and it make sense, will be looking very closely to your grow and see how that turns out, hoping you get awesome results mate!

PeeJay, I totally get what your saying man. That was a lovely reply, stretched out, full of info I wanted to head on pH and the rest of things about it. I'm also glad you and netstatmen both dig my training plan, I really think it could work, if it doesn't, I may get a bit less yield then I would if I have just let it grow and do some little LSTing on her and I can handle that. At least I'll know what to do for the next grow. :icon_cool

Yesterday, DAY 13:

Today, DAY 14 (two weeks in): *am also going to get a 3rd CFL tomorrow.

Here we go, default.

x1 zoom

x2 zoom

x3 zoom

x4 zoom

aaaaand x5 zoom..

same, x5 zoom, without flash.

side view, x4 zoom, with flash.

side view, x4 zoom, without flash. (looks like a damn alien :laughtwo:)

side view, default.

aaaaaand a closeup on a leaf. (was testing picture quality)

Cheers until next time!
:roorrip:

Subn up Madmunchies!
I have got one auto bean that I am waiting to pop. Will be good to see you play this girl out :high-five:

Thanks a lot man and damn right it's a girl! (it showed sex, pictures below)
I didn't get a chance to come earlier and do an update in the last few days so my apologies to everyone for that, just been real busy, but here's a little update.

I have put up the screen and as stoner me didn't watch what he was doing, I almost "broke off" one of the biggest fan leaves along with its whole branch when I was installing the screen. You can't really even call it a break, it just kinda drooped like it was over watered after what happened. So I put up this small piece of cardboard to support it as it was before. Amazingly, just one night later (it happened yesterday) it healed completely, standing and pointing up as strong as before atm and I thought it was all over and that I just screwed everything up.
:yahoo:

Also, is it normal that the very first set of leaves is already yellowing up? Only the first two ones are, everything else that seems "yellowish" on the photos is just fine, the effect is caused by the lights.

Anyway, she's in DAY 20 from seed, 3 weeks tomorrow and she is about 15cm tall:
I also don't really have much angles I can take photos from anymore because I had to lower the lights just above the screen after installing it so bear with me.

Cheers!

:Namaste: Madmunchies, you are correct in thinking that those two smaller leaves will die off, they are the first to go :) I'm sure this is the same with photoperiod and autos alike. Good going on saving that fan leaf, in the world of autos I'm sue that leaf there is a good chunk of her energy :)

CONGRATS ON THE PISTILS :party:

hi mate i see you are doing great! im very interested, will you fim or tap her? or the screen is just for lst?
keep up that grat work! :blunt:

Sup guys, a good buddy of mine borrowed me his 16 megapixel camera with a 30x manual zoom lens, so expect a lot more pictures from now on, at least that is until I have to return it. The pictures didn't upload in their full resolution, I have no idea why but their still good enough, so if you want a larger version just click on the picture.
:Rasta:

It's been a while. I already started with training (tied down the main stem and big fan leaves so they don't block the light for all the new tops), also almost broke the main stem clean off too while doing that, but it healed right back in a day or two, doesn't look like it stunned her or anything (wasn't careful enough while bending and twisting it so it loosens up the outer walls of the stem). Stems got stronger and thicker, there's lots of new tops now too, all in all, she looks quite healthy to me, I don't see anything wrong with her except that the tips on the new leaves on the main top are turning light green/yellowish (started turning white at first) and I'm not sure what's the reason hiding behind it though (pictures below).

Anyhow, start of DAY 26 right now. How much more in size do you guys expect it to grow?

Overall growth:

Tops:

Main top's new leaf tips:

Main stem and pistils:

Steam break.

Also, there's one more thing that kinda bothers me. All the little white spots on the older leaves you can see from the photos below. One note tho, don't mind the brownish bug looking thingy on one of the pictures, it was a bit of something from the soil and the slug's trail looking spots are from the little water droplets that evaporated after the plant got sprinkled with it earlier. I thought it could also be resin starting to kick in but I just want to be sure it's not something bad. :icon_roll

*click on the pictures for larger versions.

Oldest fan leaf at the moment, some nute burn spots from a while ago (took this while testing macro).

Feedback much appreciated and as usual, cheers! :blunt:

I think it won't grow a lot more than this, what do you guys think?

We're on 4 WEEKS mark today, I lowered the lights to about 6cm from the plant's tops. Now I don't have much space to do pretty much anything to the plant so if I'd want to do a bit more lsting, I'd have to rise it up again and trust me, it's a pain in the ass to do it since there is no light fixture. Everything's just laying on the glass sheet, but oh well, I'd rather give them more lights than having more space to operate on them.

Less effort, less of a product in the end so I won't brag anymore about anything being hard on this journey, I'll just do my best.
:ganjamon:

Here's a few shots from last night, the only difference from last night and now is that the main top is now pointing straight up. Since I lowered the lights I have a very poor angle to take pictures.

Right about 4:20 here, cheers everyone!

Edit: a macro shot from last night, cleaned the smallest grinder I had and loaded everything on top of a jay a bit later. :D

She's is looking great Madmunchiez! I don't know much on autos, but I think she should grow more and more throughout her life as she is packing on buds, is this auto going about 3 months or so? Man.. I should pop my dang auto bean and play catch up! She looks super healthy, keep up what you are doing she looks to be loving it :) and that macro a page back looks like a very very minute burn. I think you should be gravy :thumb: some reps your way buddy :Namaste:

most autos don't get very big
Happy Sativaday subbed
don't forget to vote for this months contests :thumb:

She's is looking great Madmunchiez! I don't know much on autos, but I think she should grow more and more throughout her life as she is packing on buds, is this auto going about 3 months or so? Man.. I should pop my dang auto bean and play catch up! She looks super healthy, keep up what you are doing she looks to be loving it :) and that macro a page back looks like a very very minute burn. I think you should be gravy :thumb: some reps your way buddy :Namaste:
Hey CA, thanks a lot man! :ganjamon:
It says on WoS website that this one should be done from seed to harvest in about 65 to 70 days. It also stated that they grow from 40 to 80 cm in height or even more.

And about the macro picture on the page before, I already know about the last picture (the bif nuteburned fan leaf). What I was and still am concerned about the little white spots/dots you can see on these leaves;

most autos don't get very big
Happy Sativaday subbed
don't forget to vote for this months contests :thumb:

Hey man, thanks for stopping by and subbing! :D
One of the main things in an autos height apparently is that they can be controlled with different pot sizes, so mine has about 4.some liters or soil in it which is just under the "recommended" 5.5 liter "rule", so I'm hoping that should be good enough.

Sure thing!

Hey CA, thanks a lot man! :ganjamon:
It says on WoS website that this one should be done from seed to harvest in about 65 to 70 days. It also stated that they grow from 40 to 80 cm in height or even more.

And about the macro picture on the page before, I already know about the last picture (the bif nuteburned fan leaf). What I was and still am concerned about the little white spots/dots you can see on these leaves;

Of course just keep a close eyeon the girl, she still has awhile to go. I personally will harvest on the trichs, but before that i'm analyzing the pistils waiting for the majority of them to brown up. With photoperiod plants I've read to always overshoot the breeders expectations as they have optimal conditions and have possibly grown that strain out many many times, use their dates as a gauge to start anticipating some flushing. The little white specs don't look like much on the pictures.. Do they wipe off with your finger rubbing on them? Or are they little bite marks on the leaves? Do you have white flies in your grow space?

:joint: CA

Of course just keep a close eyeon the girl, she still has awhile to go. I personally will harvest on the trichs, but before that i'm analyzing the pistils waiting for the majority of them to brown up. With photoperiod plants I've read to always overshoot the breeders expectations as they have optimal conditions and have possibly grown that strain out many many times, use their dates as a gauge to start anticipating some flushing. The little white specs don't look like much on the pictures.. Do they wipe off with your finger rubbing on them? Or are they little bite marks on the leaves? Do you have white flies in your grow space?

:joint: CA
True that, she does have optimum conditions and the expected height is probably based of the breeders grow which probably way under near perfect conditions for her strain in particular. As for the white things, most of them do come off as I try to wipe them off the leaves. As for the flies, I have seen like 2 or 3 in the first 2.5 weeks of the grow but they were black with transparent wings, looked like the ones that start gathering around fruit. I would find them dead on the bottom of the growbox and would just throw them out. Right after I found the 3rd one I put up a screen over my intake fan, since then, haven't seen anything move around, especially on the girl.

DAY 29, she's just lovin' life.

Also, is it a good idea to make a CO2 generator out of yeast, sugar and water? I read that it works great. If I do decide to make it, the plant will use more nutes and since I don't plan to add any extra nutes in, all she's going to get are the ones from the soil and I don't know if that's enough for her.
That's option A, option B is that I do get some extra nutes and feed her, but since I don't know much about extra nutes in general, I'll have to ask you guys what is the best nute brand I can go with (for flowering and good for beginners)? :D I think she's the right age to start receiving some, but the problem then is that I don't think it will be possible for me to flush her later on since I can't get get out of the box unless I chop her down since she's growing all over and in between the screen. It would be possible but too risky, could break the whole thing and end up with a dead plant.

I could try to use a plastic container and some rubber tubing to make a simple water drainage system though. Just need some opinions first.

:tokin:

I would think those white specs was just some dust if they just wipe off, I wouldn't be too worried :)
Those sound like fungus gnats or some type of gnat, annoying little efers.. I have been seeing them around my girls as well.
Good you don't see them anymore though they will get out of control if not taken care of.
I would think the diy c02 generator would be fun, I never have personally made one the but see people still using their mixes in their grows! Couldn't hurt right, I say go for it!

And for the flushing thing.. I see your problem.

I would possibly try to use some top feedings with organic guanos, when you water it will wash the goodies down to the root base. With organics you don't really need to flush as you aren't filling your girl up with a bunch of synthetic crapola, but it would be good to finish off with some clean water. I would also pick up some Blackstrap unsulphered molasses, I love the stuff! Gives your girl some good carbs and helps with the plumping and taste, from what I read and the results I see :)

Your girl is looking spectacular :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom