10 Minute DIY Tupperware Bubble Cloner

Afternoon Ms. Emilya, aah I'm with you at the moment, I was going to ask about cloning into soil, but this convinced me to try your method. I have a 10ltr black bucket I can use but no plugs..Foam board for kneeling on in the garden or pool noodle maby for the plugs maby...?? I have an OG Kush I want to clone off but not sure about the length of the cuttings needed...

May I post a pic of the girl..?? :goodjob:
:bravo:
There really isnt a rule about the length of the cutting and I found that some of the shorter ones actually were the most aggressive in growing the roots. I think what is actually happening is that the least amount of moisture hitting the exposed root, the better. The goal isnt to keep the roots constantly wet, being able to see oxygen part of the time is also a part of the process. The cloner is almost magical though, and as long as your cutting is not hanging down in the reservoir water, it should work.
Cloning can be done in soil too, using a watering method that approximates what is happening in the cloner... having small periods of time when the roots see oxygen, but also showing them that there is a water path heading down to the bottom of the container so that roots can develop to chase that water. It is the same principle, except you cant see what is happening with soil in the way.
So let's see a picture!

I've been using perlite as the rooting medium in hempy tubes with a plastic baggie over the top.
2 different sizes. I can easily do 4 in the larger one. Solo cups work just as well. Just water 'em, bag 'em and let them set for 2 weeks.

DSCN62692.JPG

So very lazy.

Evening there Emilya, pics as promised...

The clone I have at moment snapped branch, in soil inside 1.5 ltr bottle. New growth.
6b159c8dc4c960164f46e2f6b63e4597.jpg

Today- 13 days old new growth..

5a3febbd1f0ccc77bf4ffdbec2d32910.jpg

Option 2 is bubbler, already was toying but hesitating as I'm unsure how to do it...
f66635d91d4548193a73bfe0c85ee6ee.jpg
d8ff77f68919f3082dedd48dd6dc5ab7.jpg

Extra bucket can hold 5 nicely

This is what I have nutes wise, also biobizz grow/ bloom

4fd335bdff5bb336e6ca219ab137869f.jpg
45160a6d06ff3db52313349403ab35c4.jpg

These are the 5-6 I'm considering..

5e6fe520b634b27c682766324f8b0ba4.jpg

Thanks and + reps for the prompt reply ( is there a button) for reps... ??? sorry if it's long winded, just want to do it correctly.....

A happy smeegol/learner.... Have a great evening......

lower branches work better for clones, but even snips from the top can be used. I did one of those when I wrote this article on the cloner, but generally I am chopping the lower 2 nodes for my clones.

tead, loved the perlite and bag idea, just beware of mold. With my open bubble cloner mold never is an issue and I don't need to bag them because the RH is so high at the base of the plants, all I do is spray them twice a day from the top. I am also leaving a couple holes in the lid of the cloner specifically so that moisture can leap up and out of the cloner and keep my cuttings alive.

I would not recommend using nutes while you are trying to clone... just plain water is all they need... they can't feed until they get the roots. If you do use nutrients in your reservoir, go very lightly.

tead, loved the perlite and bag idea, just beware of mold. With my open bubble cloner mold never is an issue and I don't need to bag them because the RH is so high at the base of the plants, all I do is spray them twice a day from the top. I am also leaving a couple holes in the lid of the cloner specifically so that moisture can leap up and out of the cloner and keep my cuttings alive.

Mold or rot can be an issue... tho usually only intrudes when one is doing long running clones like flowering clones.
I live in a unique local world down here in The Big Easy. During the majority of the year, I clone without the bags or any other cover. When your humidity stays in the 80's and 90's humidity domes become a touch pointless.
I think the sterile perlite medium really helps here too. I used to see much more rot and decay when cloning in soil or other biologically active medium.

Another DIY cloner...

I had an old aquarium water pump and some microirrigation tubing lying around and threw this together. I had to go to home depot to pick up a bucket and lid ($5) and a couple of misting emitters ($6) because I couldn't wait for ultra cheap ones to arrive from China.

This was more to experiment with cloning; I have no space to do anything with clones, so I took cuttings from when I was topping and pruning plants to just experiment. They worked pretty well. A the 2 week mark, out of 5 clones that I took from flowering plants, 3 have rooted and probably should be planted (but I have no space. :) ) because their roots are now dangling into the water, and the other 2 show signs of wanting to root. The other cuttings I took from veg plants are now sitting some hydroton as I experiment with DWC. They look pretty healthy too.

I have an order of 50 misting emitters en route from China via ebay. When they arrive, I'm going to try making a larger cloner from a Rubbermaid container and try a SOG in a flood table for fun.

File_2018-02-04_10_50_48_AM.jpeg

The orange drippers are completely shut off; they were a failed attempt to see if I could make it work without buying new stuff, but not enough pressure from the pump to get up to the cuttings.

File_2018-02-04_10_50_25_AM.jpeg

Lol. Of course I’d have a regulator on there. What’s the normal max psi on the stones?

Edit.

So max rating of stones is 4 to 8 watts max. holy cow. going to need a very good regulator.

Edit.

120 watt pump does max 5 psi? that's hilarious

Think I'll get some clear tubing hot glue it to the bottom in 2 or 3 lines and poke some very small holes in the tubing. Run that to a regulator. Nice thing about my compressor is i piped the lines around my garage with PEX pipe. So easy to work with and is good for 300 PSI.

Good afternoon Emilya, I have a quick question if you don’t mind. How long do you allow your clone roots to get before planting?

Back
Top Bottom