1st Grow - Cheap Setup - Northern Lights

I've read a few comments where they've suggested to trim off those weaker lower branches that seem like they won't get enough light to make good sized buds or that will just use up food supply.

So it sounds logical to do.

I've smoked one bowl so far, but the jar still smells like chlorophyll . It was a lite head high, doesn't seem too potent right now, hopefully within the next 4 weeks that should happen and with proper drying and curing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I do trim the lower branches that aren't getting light or aren't strong enough to support some good-sized buds. This is more "logical" when using less powerful lights that don't have the penetration through the canopy.

Here's the lower section of a girl currently in flower:

DSCN32572.JPG

The potency doesn't increase that much during a proper cure, but the taste improves significantly. As the buds dry, the same amount of THC that was in the non-dry buds is still there, but the buds weigh less, hence the potency increase.

I would, however, expect your potency to increase significantly once the plant go through the full flower cycle. Those buds you harvested early were harvested WAY early. They will improve as the plant matures.

:Namaste:

I'm using a 600w hps, have been for 98% of the grow because the MH bulb busted after the first week, but Apollo horticulture replaced it.

Since the flower stretch and no where else to move the light higher or plants lower, I have turned the power of the light down to 75%. My runt has gotten pretty close so I've moved her off to the side.

Here's 2 bowls left of what I trimmed.

420-magazine-mobile833891710.jpg

I think it was the Samsung phone update two days ago that is preventing me from posting pics, but any who.

I got a bigger problem.

The microwave on a dry napkin cover buds with a damp napkin out into a Tupperware with lid almost closed all the way, nuke on low setting for 40 seconds at a time quick drying method works!!! I'm feenin and have 3-4 weeks left of harvest, but I'm getting high on my own supply....

I'm only cutting small popcorn branches off right now, but someone make me stop. I've read cutting branches late in flower reduces overall yield, please tell me that is true in a significant way so I can stop.

. . . . . .

The last two weeks before harvest the plants can put on 25%-50% of their weight. Don't harvest early and don't stress the plant while she's trying to put on more weight for you! ;)

The last two weeks before harvest the plants can put on 25%-50% of their weight. Don't harvest early and don't stress the plant while she's trying to put on more weight for you! ;)
Thanks for the info, My Runt's main cola had doubled already from 2 weeks ago, I can only imagine. I havnt been cutting big colas at all, only branches I should have probably cut a long time ago. But I sure won't stress her out anymore (only been cutting from Runt because she had a bunch of colas that didn't develop like some of her others)

But man I tell you even with what I've already cut she seems like she is going to put out more than Big Gal.

I released the ties from Big Gal, I was going to wait until the last 2 weeks or so to do that but since Runt is doing just fine so close to the light I might as well allow Big Gal try to stretch a tad since she is so much shorter than Runt.

Pics to come soon.

Thanks for testing the quick dry theory! Might use it to test some samples near harvest.... fingers crossed! I have kind of recently decided that my Matilda may be a bit if a runt , too, but I think she will hold her own when it comes to harvest.
Also had some issues with that latest samsung update... "smart" phones!
may the buds fatten and your harvest come quickly!

And yeah I wanted a sample and wanted to try a quick method, but a voice was also telling me to stop that shit.. But the method I tried worked pretty good, not harsh hitting ( and I'm using a glass bullet to smoke it) getting high and the munchies bad, I usually get the munchies regardless but I'm getting them bad now with this stuff.

I want to get a jewlers loup,a cheap one at least and study up on my trichomes amber amberness for a spacey head high and not couch lock high.

Couldn't go any longer without looking at them again.

Big Gal's main cola...
20160728_152021.jpg

And her awesome form she took from the LSTing

20160728_151945.jpg

Top View of Big Gal
20160728_151955.jpg

Size comparison photo
20160728_151857.jpg

Runt's Photo-shoot

20160728_151722.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of her main bud with better lighting, but here's the comparison photo
20160728_151620.jpg

Flushed them with 2 1/2 gallons of water each about 3 days ago. I know that's a weak flush but didn't have any more containers to let the tap water sit for a few days.

Fed them with 1tbs of molasses in 1 gallon of water. They took about a quart each before some runoff started to show. Thinking of feeding water next, then molasses again as the feeding sessions for the remainder of the weeks ahead before harvest. Having to feed about every 3rd day, the top soil is getting dry fast and pots get light fast, I think their root balls are massive, we will see in a few weeks.

Plants looking good this morning, still tons of white hairs and new bud growth on top.

On Aug 7th that will be the end of the 8th week since I switched them to 12/12....But still bunch of white hairs , like 99% are white (I know you don't go off the hairs to tell when to harvest) but only a week from harvest I thought some would turn orange/brown already..

My loup I ordered should be here by mid next week, so I'll be studying the trichomes then.

Also ordered a small scale so I can do the wet and dry weights. And some pruning sheers for the clippings at harvest....And a grinder lol. wish I could get a nice bong right now, but a homemade gravity bong will do the trick when I tire of my pipe.

Plants looking good this morning, still tons of white hairs and new bud growth on top.

On Aug 7th that will be the end of the 8th week since I switched them to 12/12....But still bunch of white hairs , like 99% are white (I know you don't go off the hairs to tell when to harvest) but only a week from harvest I thought some would turn orange/brown already..

My loup I ordered should be here by mid next week, so I'll be studying the trichomes then.

Also ordered a small scale so I can do the wet and dry weights. And some pruning sheers for the clippings at harvest....And a grinder lol. wish I could get a nice bong right now, but a homemade gravity bong will do the trick when I tire of my pipe.

Actually, Brother, you do go off those white hairs, just not entirely. About 70% of those white pistils should turn reddish brown and start getting absorbed into the bud. If your buds still look like "Q-tips" with the fluffy white hairs sticking out, you probably have at least a few more weeks before you need to start checking trichomes.

harvest55.jpg

Awesome info pic, boo to a few more weeks. But I can wait now that I got my weak fix after all my family left after 3 weeks of visiting, although them being here made those weeks go by kinda fast and they kept me from peeking at them every few hours.

Thanks again Mr. Krip

All caught up with your journal. Nice first grow! Very well done. I noticed some similarities between our 1st grows including the LSTing... having a 'runt'... and testing the immature trimmed nugs early. I'm gonna have to give the microwave quick dry method a try here sometime soon. Great journal, looking forward to seeing the rest!

:goodjob: :thumb:

It was weird my Runt really didn't like LST with my high ph or something. But after I took her ties off and let her go a few weeks she had really opened up.

Her main cola looks 2x the size of my big Gal's.

That microwave method works well just make sure that top napkin is damp each nuke.

The bud ends up smelling like crap, but it doesn't taste like it smells at all. And the bud I used wasn't harsh at all either.

As for an update, I flushed the girls too soon and they definitely don't like just molasses after a flush. Never again will I flush earlier than the very last week of flower time. All the fan leaves look horrible right now, I'm keeping a close eye on the buds.

Back
Top Bottom