1st Grow Experiment - CFL From Seed

hypesavlife

This is my first post and also my first grow. I am doing an indoor CFL grow in a small closet space (3.5ft x 2.5ft). I am a beginner but have been doing my research. i know a lot of the things i am doing right now arent the best choices for the best outcome but i am just experimenting and getting to know the plant. so with that said here is a list of my supplies and a picture of my setup. Just germinated 12 seeds and have five in soil and under lights. enjoy. please feel free to give me some advice and feedback.

Lights: 4 45watt cfl, 2 11watt cfl, 1 25watt cfl
soil: miracle grow planting soil w/ fertalizer (not the best but all i have)
vent: one computer fan on high attached to the ceiling, leaving door cracked
strain: purple champagne bagseeds (i know again not the best choice)
pots: going to transfer into 2 gallon pots, right now theyre in cups
stage: seedling, giving it 24/7 light with lights about 3 inches away

here is a pic of my little setup, i plan on picking the healthiest plant and booting the rest in the next weeks (because they are bagseeds and i only have enough lighting for one in the end) now i'll go enjoy some WoW i picked up today. apparently it placed in the connoisseurs cup in oakland the past weekend. -stay keyed- :roorrip:
100_8094.JPG

Re: 1st grow experiment, CFL from seed

good luck on your your grow but i got ask.you have proper drainage and if so that papers not gonna help your gonna mess you carpet up :hippy:oh and in my opinion dont be so quick to get rid of plant let them grow for while. i mean i know there bag seed but you still playing a number odd's game after all u do want a couple of fem plants right

hey everyone,

thanks for the feedback and advice. as to drainage i do not have anything on the cups. should i? but i set up a drainage system in my pots. im going to put them into 3 gallon pots soon. get some more 45watt cfl's and y-sockets to get better positioning and stronger lighting for when they get bigger.

i am going to keep as many as i can for my space. i have my fingers crossed i get atleast one girl. all 5 have sprouted and look healthy. i am just giving them about an 1/8 cup of distilled water in the evening. any advice on how much i should be giving them to drink right now? heres a few pictures of them:thanks:
100_8100.JPG
100_8099.JPG
100_8097.JPG

on cfls ,,i got 8 23w 1600 lumens 5000k...3 40w 2720 lumens 2700k for flowering...and 1 86w 4800 lumens 6500k...going to get a 105w 5800 lumens 6500k tomorrow...also going to get some more bulbs for flowing...right now i'm waiting for beans i ordered...good luck on your grow

thanks. i'll definitely add some drainage today. and will make sure not to hit the stems. i did not know about the stem rot. but will start keeping an eye out in case water has been touching them.

and another question i was digging around for on the forum but couldnt find.. when and how should i transfer them. i've heard transplants can be tricky so i want to do it once and do it right. thanks everyone for your help and advice!!! it really helps!! hopefully by the end of this grow i can shake off a lot of my beginner traits and start helping people with their grows also. ---stay keyed---:roorrip:

transplantings not too hard...wet the soil in your cups...let them set for 10-15 minuites...place your hand over cup..plant stem between 2nd and 3rd fingers..turn cup upside down...plant and soil should slide right...have soil in new container 1st..place plant with soil in new container...what you don't want is the plant roots exposed to the air when you transplant

hey everyone, here's is a little update on my seedlings. they are about 5 days old give or take some hours. i've been giving them about a quarter cup of distilled water when the top of the soil gets dry. The temp is ranging from 80-87 degrees fahrenheit. not good? i am using a fan on high to pussh out the air and have an a/c running in my room to cool down the recycled air but it still stays above 80 degrees. i really want to bring the temp down now so my seedlings stay healthy and i can give them more light support later. oh and i added some drainage holes to my cups. but i think its time to transplant soon.. any suggestions on when? i just got my second et of leaves coming in. here's some pics. :roorrip:

100_8103.JPG
100_8104.JPG

hey hyp whats good.the babies looking good in my opinion dont rush to transplant let them develope a nice root system before you do. if not might accidently snap the tape root and i think the 80-87 should b ok for now might be a problem when add the extra lights thow. but all an all looks good to me

Looking good ...me i would go ahead and transplant....i would't worry too much about that temp...what about the outside grows in Tex...look at all the 100 degree days they had ...in a row...my temp went up to 89 yesterday...i put ice in front of my fans..temp came down...as long as the temp and hum fluxuates they'll be ok...your seedling looks good..no brown spots...good color..U R doingit...peace out

Any kind of plastic or metal baking pan can work to catch runoff from your draining pots. Just set your pots in the trays and throw a couple of new cellulose sponges in there to soak up some of the runoff. Dump the trays if they get too full for the sponges to handle.

I've been using this method for years in my closet grow room.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

yee i just cleaned and used a cake pan, its doing the job. and yeah im not going to worry about the temp unless it gets into the 90's. glad they are healthy, they seem to like their home. i'll post some more pictures when they get a little bigger. as to transplanting i am going to wait a little longer. let the roots establish themselves a little more.

has anyone seen a thread or heard about singing/playing music for plants. haha i had always heard about this growing up. not in reference to mj but just in general that plants like special attention and music. my friend says he plays classical for his outdoor garden before he waters. dont know if it does anything but he grows some chronic. :yummy:

how u doing treezzz...i hear u on the large scale grow...i'm going to let mine get to about 4' before i start flowers...i'm in no hurry on this inside grow...i got 8 in the ground...due to come out next month..good luck on your grow
hey miwa i'm doin alright. i have 12 seeds in starter cubes and 5 are sprouting and looking good. i have 14 more germing now too. today i found out my WW seeds from amstredam that i ordered almost 3 weeks ago aren't coming because i sent the wrong kind of money order...

yee i just cleaned and used a cake pan, its doing the job. and yeah im not going to worry about the temp unless it gets into the 90's. glad they are healthy, they seem to like their home. i'll post some more pictures when they get a little bigger. as to transplanting i am going to wait a little longer. let the roots establish themselves a little more.

has anyone seen a thread or heard about singing/playing music for plants. haha i had always heard about this growing up. not in reference to mj but just in general that plants like special attention and music. my friend says he plays classical for his outdoor garden before he waters. dont know if it does anything but he grows some chronic. :yummy:

You could transplant them now, does your cake pan have holes for drainage. Playing music doesn't help though, what you are thinking about is singing to your plants, what happens when you sing to them is you are releasing co2 in your breath which helps the leaves and buds grow. To make a source of co2 you can make it cheap with a water bottle, sugar and yeast with water or vinegar and baking soda and putting a straw at the base of your plants, you'd have to replace it every few days because of mold and it will decompose fast.

Back
Top Bottom