1st Grow: Jumping Into The Deep End, DWC

I plan on LST-ing my grow starting next week (Double Grape auto) … and I’m TERRIFIED at the thought of eventually removing anything! What if I take off too much? What if I take off something I shouldn’t have? Talk about a nail biter! @Rexer - I’ll be counting on you to hold my hand!

@LKABudMan - I’m gonna watch your grow here! Did you start with some hydroguard right from the start?

I plan on LST-ing my grow starting next week (Double Grape auto) … and I’m TERRIFIED at the thought of eventually removing anything! What if I take off too much? What if I take off something I shouldn’t have? Talk about a nail biter! @Rexer - I’ll be counting on you to hold my hand!
Hey no worries at all! I'll help all I can, just don't be shy to tag me anytime! I'd get a journal going right away, that way you'll have any easier time next grow. It gives you something to look back at, and a point of reference.

Hey no worries at all! I'll help all I can, just don't be shy to tag me anytime! I'd get a journal going right away, that way you'll have any easier time next grow. It gives you something to look back at, and a point of reference.
Yup - already putting everything in a note document so when I start next week its ALLLL there

Welcome @cjsbabygirl313 . Yes, hydroguard and z7
Kewl - how much Hydroguard did you start with once you got your seedlings into the buckets? (Your girls look great BTW!)

I also have well water - havent had it tested but its about 200ppm from the faucet now that we have a 3-stage whole home filtration system (before it was around 750ppm!)

What is z7?

Here is where you get to see a bit of my madness. I created custom nutrient schedules for all my girls in Excel. The spreadsheet will scale based on the volume I am mixing along with a 'scale' factor. The buckets only use 3-3.5 gallons of water, but I mix more to save for feeding until the next change.

The amounts on the right side of the sheet represent the recommended ml/L per the manufacturer. These numbers are multiplied by the number of liters (gallons x 3.78541) being mixed, then by the scale factor. The amounts on the left side are the amounts used when mixing my nutes. If a plant shows that it needs more nutes, I increase the scale factor. I started at 1/3 (.3 or 30%) of the recommended dosage, and am currently at 40%-50%, depending on the plant. I am measuring PPM & pH every day, and watching the plants to see when they may need more or less nutes.

All nutrients on the spreadsheet use the scale factor EXCEPT for Hydroguard and Z7. For these, I use the recommended dosage. They do not add to PPM, and I am terrified of root rot, so I figure I should use the full dose.

Z7 is an enzymatic cleanser. My understanding is that it helps break down organic solids. Here is a link to the Z7 FAQ Page.

200ppm is still a lot of dissolved solids. Most filters do not reduce the PPM, except for RO filters and ion exchange filters. With an RO filter, your PPM should be below 50. If the 3-stage filter system you have is an ion exchange filter, it may be replacing calcium & magnesium with sodium (not good). Without knowing what your water has in it to start, you may need more trial and error to see how you need to amend it. Good luck!

Here is where you get to see a bit of my madness. I created custom nutrient schedules for all my girls in Excel. The spreadsheet will scale based on the volume I am mixing along with a 'scale' factor. The buckets only use 3-3.5 gallons of water, but I mix more to save for feeding until the next change.

The amounts on the right side of the sheet represent the recommended ml/L per the manufacturer. These numbers are multiplied by the number of liters (gallons x 3.78541) being mixed, then by the scale factor. The amounts on the left side are the amounts used when mixing my nutes. If a plant shows that it needs more nutes, I increase the scale factor. I started at 1/3 (.3 or 30%) of the recommended dosage, and am currently at 40%-50%, depending on the plant. I am measuring PPM & pH every day, and watching the plants to see when they may need more or less nutes.

All nutrients on the spreadsheet use the scale factor EXCEPT for Hydroguard and Z7. For these, I use the recommended dosage. They do not add to PPM, and I am terrified of root rot, so I figure I should use the full dose.

Z7 is an enzymatic cleanser. My understanding is that it helps break down organic solids. Here is a link to the Z7 FAQ Page.

200ppm is still a lot of dissolved solids. Most filters do not reduce the PPM, except for RO filters and ion exchange filters. With an RO filter, your PPM should be below 50. If the 3-stage filter system you have is an ion exchange filter, it may be replacing calcium & magnesium with sodium (not good). Without knowing what your water has in it to start, you may need more trial and error to see how you need to amend it. Good luck!
Wow - thats in depth my friend! I may steal that idea (especially since I am TOTALLY a spreadsheet-driven kinda gal).

Yup, my 5-gallon buckets also take a MAX of 3 gallons and 3 quarts, that puts the water level AT the bottom of the net basket in the lid so I will also adjust nutes accordingly as well. Although from what I understand I shouldn't need to worry about any nutes until i see the first set of true leaves and then go SLOWLY with the nutes starting at 1/2 strength (or like you said 1/3 strength!). I will also be watching ph and ppm every day - though I have heard you shouldn't top off daily with nutes, just plain water and then at the week mark give all fresh nutes.

No, my filter doesn't do any kind of ion exchange - just filters out a LOT of that nasty stuff you get from well water (iron, sulphur, and all that other hard stuff).

I DO have a water distiller, so maybe I’ll have to go back to distilling water (ugh what a pain). BUT at least its a 100% clean slate.

When I top off the buckets daily, I am using the PPM change to determine how to top off. If the PPM is higher than the day before, I top off with water only. If it is the same as the day before, I top off with 1/3 nutes and 2/3 water. If it is noticably lower than the day before, I will top off with all nutes (and plan for a bucket change with a higher scale factor). Since I am using lower than the recommended dosage, I do not want my PPM to get too low between bucket changes.

When I top off the buckets daily, I am using the PPM change to determine how to top off. If the PPM is higher than the day before, I top off with water only. If it is the same as the day before, I top off with 1/3 nutes and 2/3 water. If it is noticably lower than the day before, I will top off with all nutes (and plan for a bucket change with a higher scale factor). Since I am using lower than the recommended dosage, I do not want my PPM to get too low between bucket changes.
Makes sense

Hey there nice grow!!!

I'm a soil user myself but you have some great Hydro support on your journal right now, Rex and Tok are great! @West Hippie also does ponic growing and all 3 are very seasoned at it. Take a look at their journals.

I do photos and autos so I do flip. I also don't always do LST w my autos, I am a fan of pruning. I don't do LST with my photos only HST. If you want any help or direction in those regards, don't be afraid to ask!

My journals are below as well. My best advice is to look at as many grows as you can and take what works for you from all of them and make your magic recipe.

@cjsbabygirl313 don't be nervous! It is called LST for a reason, LOW STRESS!!! You both got this!

Hey there nice grow!!!

I'm a soil user myself but you have some great Hydro support on your journal right now, Rex and Tok are great! @West Hippie also does ponic growing and all 3 are very seasoned at it. Take a look at their journals.

I do photos and autos so I do flip. I also don't always do LST w my autos, I am a fan of pruning. I don't do LST with my photos only HST. If you want any help or direction in those regards, don't be afraid to ask!

My journals are below as well. My best advice is to look at as many grows as you can and take what works for you from all of them and make your magic recipe.

@cjsbabygirl313 don't be nervous! It is called LST for a reason, LOW STRESS!!! You both got this!
Well it may be low stress for the PLANT, but not for me! I am the worlds worst worry-wort!

Hi Cjsbabygirl

I'll share this post, as it may be beneficial to you and LKABudman (who's grow journal this is- and I don't want to fill his grow journal up with back and forth that he hasn't asked for, out of respect).

And also, I'll here's a link for my perpetual thread, feel free to jump in with any questions- there's some knowledgeable folks following it who can jump in with hydro or plant issues to help. Feel free to skip to the end, or start halfway- there was a lot of issues at the start with the newer system I bought.

Thread 'How I perform low stress training on my plants: Lots of pics!' How I perform low stress training on my plants: Lots of pics!

And LKABudman, wicked spreadsheet, wish I was half as handy with Excel!

Welcome @West Hippie and @Krissi1982 , thanks for dropping in. This is my first grow, so if you have any hints or suggestions I am all ears! The plan right now is to switch to 12/12 tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Welcome @West Hippie and @Krissi1982 , thanks for dropping in. This is my first grow, so if you have any hints or suggestions I am all ears! The plan right now is to switch to 12/12 tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Happy to help if I can!
Did you mention somewhere in here how old they are and I missed it??

Alice (White Widow - Planted 9/18/21, sprouted 9/23)
Demeter (White Widow - Planted 9/12/21, sprouted 9/16)
Kini (Hindu Kush - Planted 9/12/21, sprouted 9/15)
Lorraine (Hindu Kush - Planted 9/18/21, sprouted 9/22)

Two plants are 5 weeks since sprouting and two are 4 weeks.

Alice (White Widow - Planted 9/18/21, sprouted 9/23)
Demeter (White Widow - Planted 9/12/21, sprouted 9/16)
Kini (Hindu Kush - Planted 9/12/21, sprouted 9/15)
Lorraine (Hindu Kush - Planted 9/18/21, sprouted 9/22)

Two plants are 5 weeks since sprouting and two are 4 weeks.
Do you want to veg them a little longer or are you set on 4 and 5 weeks. I personally like to veg 7 or 8 weeks. You have the space that's why I ask

For my first grow, my #1 goal is harvest. Not a huge harvest, just a harvest. For this grow, I am going to switch to flower early and keep learning as I go. For the next grow (seeds already germinated), I plan on vegging for 8 weeks before going to flower.

Is there any reason, besides reduced harvest, that I should wait longer to go to flower? Will I mess anything up by going to flower now?

For my first grow, my #1 goal is harvest. Not a huge harvest, just a harvest. For this grow, I am going to switch to flower early and keep learning as I go. For the next grow (seeds already germinated), I plan on vegging for 8 weeks before going to flower.

Is there any reason, besides reduced harvest, that I should wait longer to go to flower? Will I mess anything up by going to flower now?
No absolutely not. I think you have the right mindset-first go round just get the basics down, do things the right way, focus on managing the cure and harvest, taking notes on what was a pro this time around and what was a con and work all those factors into your next grow.

Less stress on you makes for a clearer head and keeping things nice and simple at first is the way to go! I applaud your approach and gumption. Also knowing that this is a stepping stone for bigger things.

Makes me happy to know you have the next set germing already! A man of both action and thought!

I am amazed at how quickly these plants are growing. Didn't I just say two days ago after defoliation that it was good to see some stalks. Where did they go?

So tonight I will switch to 12/12 lighting. I have been reading about switching to flower, and there are two things I am unsure about:

1. Do I go dark for 24-36 hours before the switch. I have read that this can force the plants to flower quicker, and maybe even avoid some of the stretching. Since I feel I need the stretch and perhaps another week of veg, I will not be going dark before switching the lights. I think a more gradual transition to flower will work best for these plants.

2. When do I switch from veg nutes to flower nutes? Right now, they are at around 1,2 EC, and they are eating and drinking well. I am using AN pH perfect 3-part, and their standard schedule calls for the same ratio in flower as I use in veg, with a few additions. I feel like I should leave them on their current nutes for now, and just move to week1 flower nutes with the next bucket change, which should be in 3-5 days.

So, right now the plan is to just switch the timer from 5a-11p to 7a-7p. Let me know if there is anything I am missing. Thanks for following along.

Back
Top Bottom