1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Special

Re: 1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Spe

After two weeks into Flower, I would take clones of the plant which would root for two weeks, and veg for another six weeks, before flowering for 8 weeks.

Krip, it is not recommended to take clones from plants that have transitioned into a flowering cycle. The only reason to do this would be if you were growing non-feminized seeds to guarantee female clones- but you don't have this problem. In my experience I have taken clones the week before I switch the lights over to 12/12. This is a time when the canopy is full and there are plenty of branches to take clones from.

Another word of advice from a fellow cabinet guy on your veg time. No freaking way are you going to be able to remain in veg for 6 weeks with such a small space. Your current seedlings (and future clones) are going to fill up that area in 3-4 weeks and you will be forced to start flowering in week 4 or 5 so make sure you have your lights and nutes ready so you don't have to scramble around at the last minute.

Other than the logistical challenges of more frequent moves, res fills, etc. the only real issue I see is space and lighting.
I'd really love to get some suggestions on how you would all handle a perpetual grow of two strains with this space.

I would suggest that you take 2-4 clones from each strain after week 3 and flower your moms to completion in one half of your cab while nurturing your clones in the other half of your cabinet. You'll get to see how the plants grow and have a good idea about how many plants you can grow next time from clones. About 4 weeks into flowering you will be able to take clones from your original clones in preparation for your next crop. 4 weeks later you will be drying your first harvest and will be ready to move some of your clones into the flowering chamber on a veg cycle until they fill the canopy. 2-3 weeks later you'll be switching them to 12/12, 8 weeks later you'll be drying crop # 2. You'll be a cloning master at this point and will have your next batch of clones ready to go into the flowering side for 2-3 weeks of veg, 8 weeks of flowering, etc. You will continue to use less clones than you flower so you have moms in the veg side for future generations, harvesting every 11 weeks.

Re: 1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Spe

Jcool, Thanks again for the tips. I had heard you can take clones at any time, but if it's after the 2nd week of flower, they may need to revert back to veg stage, which can take some time. I do agree that a 3-4 week veg would be ideal. You said above not to take clones during flower, but then said I should take my clones 4 weeks into flower. I assume you mean 4 weeks into veg I should take the clones?

About 4 weeks into flowering you will be able to take clones from your original clones in preparation for your next crop.

Krip- Sorry for the confusion. if you follow my plan you will be flowering and vegging at the same time in separate sides of your cab. You would take clones from the veg side 4-5 weeks into the flowering cycle (on the flowering side) so they will be well rooted and ready to go when the flowering cycle is completed.

Jcool....OK...I got it....take clones around week 4...then, 4 weeks later flower the plants I took the clones FROM, then four weeks later, repeat the process...This makes sense, I just need to figure out how to fit all of those plants on the veg side. I don't think I want them all in the same cloner since they will be on different nute schedules, so either two cloners in the veg side, or one cloner and two more Waterfarms...Thanks again for the help!

PIC TIME AGAIN!!!

I hope nobody minds that I'm (at least at this point!) posting pics every day. I realize there's gonna be some days with not much change, but it is helping me to document this, so here's the kids at the start of Day #4:

I would definately be worried about Kandy if I didn't have the LSD seed germinating, which I handled MUCH better than the first two seeds and is looking real good. Kandy doesn't appear to have much progress at all and it looks like the cotyledons are starting to brown:

Kandy_2010-12-28_01.jpg

Pixie, on the other hand, is doing great and starting to look real perky. You can see her first jagged leaves getting bigger and starting to open:

Pixie_2010-12-28_01.jpg

It looks like the LSD seed may push its way out sometime today or tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her pass Kandy real quick since she's getting a much better start to life.

Thew1sest, Thanks for the good words & reps (that was my first reps! :) ). I'm subbed on your grow also...it will be good comparing notes!

For anyone interested, you can checkout Thew1sest's grow at:

Thew1sest's First Closet Hydro, SCROG, CFL Journal

OK all...time to introduce you all to Lucy (the LSD I just started germinating 4 nights ago)...I think I have the technique down with these STG cubes.

Just as a note, which may be obvious to some of the experienced growers...the STG cubes have a circular hole in the center that's about 1/4" deep. The bottom of this hole is perforated with an "X". According to STG, the seed can either be placed above or below the perforation as desired.

The first two seeds I placed about 1/4 below the perforation (without any pre-soaking or preparation) figuring it was really only 1/4" below the surface and with the perforation broken, they'd easily break the surface. Again, I don't know if this was too deep, or I placed them the wrong side up, but both seeds ended up NOT being able to break through the perforation and were growing into the sides of the cube until I dug around them to free a path.

With Lucy, I soaked the seed for approximately 16 hours until I was just starting to see a taproot. Then, I placed the seed in the saturated STG cube with the taproot facing down and the seed placed and held directly in the "X-perforation". She's been in a humidity dome on a heatmat in the dark since (and still is...I just took her out for the picture). This way, as the taproot grew down, it easily pushed the seedling up.

Here's the result:

Lucy_2010-12-28_01.jpg

You can see how much better this looks than the first two! :)

As one last note, I'm familliar with many of the other germination techniques, although, admittedly, have only tried a few. I know many people use some form of paper towel germination with great success (i.e. in a plate, plastic bag, etc.).

The reason I prefer to germinate directly in the STG media is that, according to my understanding, 1) some paper towels (especially white) are bleached and the bleach can harm the plants and 2) if you don't catch them in time, the towels can dry out and/or the fine fibers on the taproot can start growing into the paper towel and it can stress the plant when they are ripped from the towel to transplant to the growing media.

I'm by no means saying this was the best way (or even a good way!) to do it, but it certainly seems to be working for me so far and hopefully anyone starting with STG cubes can benefit from this.

Happy growing!

Presumably I would need the light some minimum distance from the TALLEST plant, so I'm concerned that the plant that's 4 weeks behind would be somewhat light-deprived for its first four weeks of flower (then, the other would be harvested and it would become the tallest).

That is what books are for...especially encyclopedias!!!

1) some paper towels (especially white) are bleached and the bleach can harm the plants
We have started many many seeds in paper towels, and if you ask most people on this forum if they have they will say yes.

Babies are looking good!

Hey Mr Krip I was just re reading your thread is your plan to LST and top? Or where you thinking about a ScrOG? I did some research on the strain I chose to clone. GDP, and found out it is a smaller indica that makes denser buds, I was sold. That, however it does not take well to a SOG or sea of green.

"But hey when life gives you lemons, you say F*ck the lemons and bail ;)" I'm going to try an LST and ScrOG anyways. You have your nutes dialed in, and your air temps right there. They'll thrive no matter what way you choose to grow.

Good luck homeskillet

:roorrip:

Tmac - Good thinking on raising the plants instead of trying to move the lights! In my last post I acknowledged that many people use paper towels to germinate very successfully. I was just giving my reasons for wanting to use an alternate method.

TheW1sest - I'm planning on using Uncle Ben's topping techniqe along with LST. I have done a lot of research on SCROG (and SOG) and would really love to try a SCROG but I'm thinking with hydro it will make the res changes and moves much more difficult, especially if I'll be vegging in a cloner and flowering in the waterfarms. I have seen some SCROG setups where the screen was attached to the lid of the cloner res, but it seems to me that SCROG is just another form of LST, so figured I do it the manual method.

STARTING DAY #5

Pixie is starting to look like a real plant! :)

Pixie_2010-12-29_01.jpg

Lucy has shed her outer shell, though still has a little of the inner casing attached which I may remove later today if she doesn't shed it herself. I gave Kandy to a friend to see if he can get her healthy (since I don't have the time or room) and this morning I moved Lucy to the Waterfarm. I definately did a much better job of germination on her and she's already the tallest and growing nicely right out of the center of the STG cube:

Lucy_2010-12-29_01.jpg

STARTING DAY #6

Both plants are looking good and getting bigger and greener.

Here's Pixie:

Pixie_2010-12-30_01.jpg

And you can see the difference in Lucy with just one day. Getting green, shed the inner casing, spreading the cotyledons, and you can see the first jagged leaves just starting to form:

Lucy_2010-12-30_01.jpg

Technically, when should I start the "Veg" period? I'm guessing it's about 2 weeks from the time they sprouted but really not sure when to start the clock.

Thanks!

STARTING DAY #6

Lucy_2010-12-30_01.jpg

Technically, when should I start the "Veg" period? I'm guessing it's about 2 weeks from the time they sprouted but really not sure when to start the clock.

Thanks!

When my seedlings open up fully and start to grow leaves (like little Lucy above) I count it as Day 1 of veg. :morenutes:

Hey Bro, great job with the setup. Your off to a good start. I wouldn't worry too much about using the paper towel method. I've been germinating this way for years with near perfect results. One tip I would add would be to place the bag with the moist paper towel and seeds on a cable box, as this will act as a heat mat. The only thing you need to be careful of is to be sure to cjeck once or twice a day to make sure it is still moist. I woulnt worry about any bleach or the taproot getting stuck, just be sure to take a peak each day to see when the taproot first emerges. Then all you have to do is plant it taproot down in whatever medium you desire. Anyway, I hope this helps, happy grow, and be careful, its extreamly addictive!

Thanks NEP... I do understand this, but it just seems to me that if germinating in a paper towel works so well (which I don't argue that it does!!!), then I would think germinating in an STG cube would be similar except I wouldn't have to transplant later to an STG cube. I am in NO way questioning the viability of germinating in a paper towel, it just seems to me that germinating directly in the cube is more efficient and less stress on the plant. Perhaps there's some real advantage of germinating in a paper towel I'm missing?

STARTING DAY #7

Not that much to report early today except everything is still looking good.

Pixie is a nice lush green color and continues to grow. I haven't seen any roots emerging from the bottom of the netpot yet:

Pixie_2010-12-31_01.jpg

Lucy also shows some slight growth since yesterday:

Lucy_2010-12-31_01.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEARS, ALL!!! :ciao:

Quick question for anyone with experience:

I've started both seedlings under 20/0 lighting. Should I switch to 18/6 and if so, when?

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Back
Top Bottom