1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Special

Re: 1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Spe

Hash, thanks for stopping by...I've been keeping an eye on your aeroponics setup. Very nice! Looks like you graduated! :)

Re: 1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Spe

Turttle, thanks for the tip. I'm definately going to start my seeds differently next time, but I haven't totally given up on the STG yet. On this round, I didn't soak the seeds in water at all or wait for a developed taproot before placing in the STG cubes. I just put them in a well-saturated STG cube, then put it in a humidity dome on a head mat for 36 hours. After 36 hours, I put the cubes into some STG inserts that hold the cubes and fit into netpots in my cloner. I put the water level about an inch or so above the bottom of the netpots figuring it would keep the bottom moist and help drive the roots down. I've also been supplementing with light surface misting when I no longer see condensation on the humidity dome.

From my "minor surgery" last night, it appeared that both seeds were taking, but they were having problems poking though the small center hole in the STG cube. They looked to be surfacing just off-center and were having trouble making it though the "skin" that covers the cube around the center hole.

Last night, shortly after my last post, I got a closer look at what was going on and then took some small (sterilized) scissors and cut back the skin of the STG cube making an area where the seeds could more easily emerge. I made sure the fibers weren't too "tight" and gently recovered the seeds by pulling some surrounding fibers back over. I also raised the light about to about 12" to try to encourage some stretching.

When I checked them this morning, they looked good and like they're just poking through now. I'll take some pics later and post them tonight.

I saw this really great method of germination I'm going to try next time...

I wish I could find the link so I could post it, but essentially, the guy makes a small tube out of a 4x4 piece of sandpaper that he rolls up & tapes. He puts the seeds in the tube and shakes the tube lightly for about two minutes to scuff the outside of the seeds. This supposedly thins the shell and helps them absorb water and break out easier. He then soaks the scuffed seeds for about 8 hours, then takes the seeds and puts them in a kitchen strainer (mesh screen bottom). He then wraps a wet towel completely around the strainer and puts it in a sink with the faucet set to just a drip (literally one drop every few seconds or so, just to keep the towel moist). That way, the seeds don't drown, either. He used older seeds that were stored in a freezer to show the effectiveness of the technique and in 36 hours had something like a 94% germination rate, even with the old seeds.

In any event, I think it might be better to get the taproot going before putting in the starter cubes. I always thought people did this because they didn't want to waste a cube if the seed didn't germinate, but I can see the advantages of getting to line up the seedling a more optimal way in the cube once it has a taproot.

Similar learning issue with S2G cubes. I started AFs (new type to me) as I do any seeds:First soaking for 24 hours in pHed water with some H2O2, then transferring to unbleached paper towel (very wet) and put in a dark place until cracked, typically another day or two. I then transferred to S2G cubes, but put them in too deep. The S2G fibers are too tough for the cotyledon to make its way through. Once I figured that out and cut up the fibers around where the seed would go I got great results.

STARTING DAY #8

Again, both plants are showing continued growth. I've been taking Lucy out of the humidity dome on and off several times per day to get her used to the environment. I'm a little concerned because the tips of the leaves on Pixie are starting to yellow a little, but I haven't started any nutes yet - Only some SuperThrive, Hygrozyme, and H2O2 at about 150ppm total. Should I be concerned about this?

Here's Pixie:

Pixie_2011-01-01_01.jpg

And Here's Lucy:

Lucy_2011-01-01_01.jpg

Thanks Hash...yeah, from what I've read it looks like I can switch to 18/6 just about anytime and it shouldn't be a problem. Until I go to 12/12 they shouldn't start flowering.

I did my weekly res change today, and before I did, I checked the PH and it had crept all the way up to 7.9! I'm sure that's the reason for the yellowing on Pixie's leaf tips since I haven't started any nutes and it should be too early for a deficiency.

I've noticed that, probably due to high temps running about 78*-80*F, I need to add about 1/2 gallon to each waterfarm every couple of days. I always PH the water first, but haven't been very good about constantly checking the res PH, which it looks like I need to start doing.

I also had the seedlings centered in the waterfarm, so I've really been watering by misting the plants a few times per day since they're too small for the waterfarm's drip ring to get to the roots at this point.

I replaced with PH 5.6 water and moved the plants adjacent to the drip ring so they are now getting a constant drip of good water. I'll keep a closer eye on res PH and hopefully, I'll see the leaf color improve in the next day or so.

Love the setup Mr. Krip! You did a very fine job on that cabinet. It looks like a built in option in your home. You'd have a nice cottage industry there if only things were legal! As I originally contemplated a cab grow thoughts quickly turned to environmental control. I think you've done a straight A job on processing your air, although disposing of it just may require you to fab an exit from the closet. That should be no big deal though as you're already in a discrete area.
I'm locked in for the ride and looking forward to seeing your kids grow.:thumb:

WnF - Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way the cabinet came out and how it's going so far. I've had several people here over the last couple of weeks and the room with the cabinet is right next to the guest bathroom and NO one has noticed anything! That being said, I hope I can grow as well as I can build a cabinet! LOL...And, when my grow cabinet grows up, it want to be just like your grow room! :)

(for anyone who want to check out a GREAT grow room, I HIGHLY recommend you check out WnF's journal!)

Hash - Thanks for catching what was possibly another rookie error. I've been PH'ing the water before I added to the res, but NOT PH'ing the res after I added the water. I did check it a few minutes ago, and so far, it seems to be holding. I'm gonna start checking res PH every other day or so and adjust in the res as needed. Thanks!

You're far too kind Mr. Krip! Thank you. I'm sure your growing will surpass even your construction skills. In fact, given that quality it'll take your wife/gf years to find out you have a habit. "gosh he's got a lot of socks".
Your passion is apparent and success is your only option.

Hash, yeah, I have been checking PPM too, but so far, only to the water I'm adding to the res. Again, I haven't really been monitoring the res on a regular basis, which it seems I need to start doing. I haven't been adding any nutes yet (I will when they get their 3rd or 4th set of new leaves), but with the H2O2, Hygrozyme, Superthrive and tap water, the PPM has been right at 150.

H2O2, Hygrozyme, Superthrive and tap water, the PPM has been right at 150.

You have all four of those in your solution right now? If so, dump it out and start fresh. Delete the H202 and Superthrive. Use the Hygrozyme at half the recommended dose.

H2O2 kills off all the good stuff in the Hygrozyme and Superthrive is better suited for orchards. Use the H202 for cleaning your buckets after harvest or as part of a clearing solution if you start to get root rot.

You have all four of those in your solution right now? If so, dump it out and start fresh. Delete the H202 and Superthrive. Use the Hygrozyme at half the recommended dose.

H2O2 kills off all the good stuff in the Hygrozyme and Superthrive is better suited for orchards. Use the H202 for cleaning your buckets after harvest or as part of a clearing solution if you start to get root rot.

Hash, thanks again but actually there's only three things in the water (plus the water makes four) including Hygrozyme, Superthrive & H2O2.

My understanding is that Hygrozyme is the ONLY one of the "zymes" that actually works with H2O2 (you can check this out in several articles including: Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 and Hygrozyme ). I'm using it for preventative measures because I'm in a very warm climate and my cab temps are running high (78*-80*F), so I'm hoping to avoid root rot before it sets in, which seems likely with my temps.

The Superthrive is supposed to be good for root development (so is the H2O2) so thought I'd try it out during the seedling & early veg stages. I'll most likely drop the Superthrive once I start nutes, but plan on continuing the H2O2 at 1 tsp per gallon throughout the grow to help prevent root rot.

Does anyone else have opinions on this?

OK...checked the res PH this morning and it had jumped all the way up to 7.3! I adjusted back down to 5.8 but am concerned at how quickly the PH is rising. If I were using hydroton, I could understand this, but not using the STG.

The yellowing on Pixie seems to be at the tips, which are touching the STG media since she's sitting so low due to the "faulty" germination. Perhaps the yellowing is because those leaf tips need to be "above ground"?

Here's Pixie as of this morning:

Pixie_2011-01-02_01.jpg

Do you think I should raise the light to encourage some stretching to get her off the ground? Although her leaves continue to get bigger, I haven't really seen any vertical growth in days. I've been assuming it's because she's focusing on root development, but am too much of a noob to know better! :)

As for Lucy, although the pic looks a little dark, she is doing well and definately had a much better germination but also had to adjust her res PH down from 7.2:

Lucy_2011-01-02_01.jpg

Almost forgot to mention that last night I changed the light schedule from 24/0 to 18/6

UPDATE: I raised the lights to about 10" and CAREFULLY cut away the top of Pixie's STG cube so her leaves were no longer resting on the cube. I'm hoping to see her start to take off soon, but don't see any top shoot yet. :(

STARTING DAY #10

Looks like Pixie's yellowing is getting worse. The only issue I can think of at this point that may still be causing this is over-watering, so I moved both plants back to the center of the waterfarm to let them dry out a little. Even though PH has been an issue, since they haven't been on any nutes, I would think the yellowing is either from watering too much, heat, or the fact that the leaves were laying on the cube itself.

You can see here where I cut away Pixie's cube to try to get the leaves in the air:

Pixie_2011-01-03_01.jpg

If you look close, you can see a nice, thick, green stem on this plant, but most of it is below the cube:

Pixie_2011-01-03_02.jpg

Lucy seems to be developing much slower, but is looking good and shows signs of continued growth:

Lucy_2011-01-03_01.jpg

I'm open to ANY/ALL suggestions on what else I can do for Pixie to make sure she's happy! :)

I'm not sure whats going on with pixie, if your ppm are around 150 and you keep the ph between 5 and 6 she should start growing quick. The roots are growing most right now but not if the cube is super moist all the time. Also, do you have a fan blowing on these babies? Its probably not really the cause of all that yellowing but it could help them photosynthesize better if the air isn't getting stagnant. Once you make sure all of these things are in order she should start getting better. Good luck :peace:

Back
Top Bottom