1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Special

Re: 1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Spe

Thank you for the kind words & I have checked out your set up. There is nothing wrong with the set up, we just need to tweek things a bit & I would be honored to help out:goodjob: I just want the world to either grow or leaves us alone & it doesn't matter which, if you know what I am saying, LOL.

Sorry about your babies, but your in luck we have nothing but time on our side!! We can get you to a high yeild small grow & I hear those waterfarms are the bomb! I with all the problemos I had & everybody says do this or do that & even all my local Hydro shops saying H2O2 + Hygrozyme; Bullshit it made my grow the snottest mess you ever saw. The only thing & it was so easy to use was Dutch Master Gold Range Zone, even the shop I bought from said the other products, a good thing I listen to myself for once. Hell I went out in a frickin Blizzard to get the stuff & if it had not working I would have probably given up on this grow, but the pics do not lie do they! And wait till you see them this weekend! Happy Grows my Friend ~H~:morenutes:

Re: 1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Spe

Hash, thank you...on your recommendation I raised the lights. Other than removing a bulb (which I always could do), there's no way to turn them off individually.

Chrgrs, thanks bro...I really appreciate any/all help and am looking for a high yield small grow, but right now, I'd just settle for a grow! :) I'm with you on the waterfarms. I know of people who regularly get 10+oz. per plant. I'm a little short on space, so was hoping to get 2-4oz for personal use. If I was a little more "ballsy" I'd aim for 6oz. but with the LED for veg, I'm not sure I can hit that number. Like I said, right now I'm just hoping to get through a complete grow. I do learn from my mistakes, but hate to kill my babies while making them!

Mr. Krip, just checking out your journal! I really like your cabinet, I would like to build myself one. I only need 1 main chamber, instead of 2, since I only want to grow 1 at a time, but I like your setup! If I was going to grow more than 1, I would for sure get the complete plans for it from ya! Good luck on those seedlings!! I'm subbed, want to see how things turn out for ya!

like the setup very stealthy!

ive heard bad things about those cubes. ive never heard them but ive had others tell me they didnt like them. Hydroton is great in those water farms.

i didnt read threw the whole thread so a little info up front would help.

what kind of water are you using?

what nutes did you feed them?

how wet is the medium staying? is the cub with the girl staying soaked?

what PH are you feeding? is it staying in range or is it raising?

how often are you changing out the res water?

whats ur water temps staying at?

i hope u made the holes on the 1st/top bucket bigger? when the roots get bigger and hit the res it would be a real good idea to add a air stone in the res for O2. basically make it a DWC once roots hit.

when their just seeds they dont need hardly any nutes, IMO seaweed is best to feed them for the 1st few weeks, it will also help ur plants sprout.

i would not put them in the farm from the get go, let the roots build up.

also be careful on how close u have ur lights. specially some leds will really hurt ur clones/seedling if too close. my old Jumbo 180w ufo use to fry my girls when too close at 1st something with their wavelength they use or something.

just from the looks of the pics i would say its the STG in the water farms and their way too young to handle that with all that moister. Hydroton is ur best best IMO in the farms. you can start them in the 1 STG cube but i wouldn't put them in all of the STG cubes with that water farm dripping on them all the time, drowning the girls before they have a chance IMO. Alge will be trouble with those STG cubes also. make sure to add a air stone when roots hit and make sure to make those root holes bigger, their way too small, make them bigger and ur roots will thank you.

:party:
Just let me know when your ready & we will go through this step by step my friend; just say the word & ask the questions! :rollit: Have you started new seed yet? Do you still have those funny grow blocks? I think I would get some rockwool, all we have to do is soak them in ph'ed H2O for 24hrs before use & all should be good or they also have rockwool conditioner out there but I think you really don't need it. How are you germin' the seed? What kind of seed are we talking? Do you have some access to bag seed if you what to try it again without feeling guilty if you make a mistake(nothing we cannot fix I think though)?:reading420magazine: You too will have Happy Grows, I promise!:grinjoint: Happy Grows ~H~

Irish,

Thanks for stopping by. Here's the answers to your questions:

I was using tap water that was left out, PH'd to 5.8ish, and just a drop of superthrive per gallon, with some Hygrozyme and H2O2 at about 1tsp per gallon. Since I lost the first two, I've started the next two seeds using distilled water.

I have not given any nutes yet. My plan was to use Advance Nutrients Micro/Grow/Bloom plus Big Bud, Bud Candy & Overdrive. However, the two waterfarms each came with some GH nutes which I here are good, easy & help stabilize PH, so I was going to use up the GH stuff on the first grow (or two) and then move to the AN when I got some more experience.

On the first two I killed, the medium was soaked and staying that way (STG instructions said to "saturate" the media") but for this go around, I'm just leaving it damp.

PH was definately raising (although, I hear that once the plants roots hit and I start nutes, PH should start to stabilize) and I was changing res once per week.

Water temps were about 78*F which I know is high, but no roots had really even made it to the res yet.

Yes, I did modify the waterfarms with more and larger holes and added an airstone and larger pump. (saw Scottyballs' waterfarm grow on that other site and got great tips)

The seedlings themselves are in STG cubes, but the material surrounding the cubes is actually STG Hail...it's a new product and supposed to be able to replace hydroton but doesn't need to be washed or PH adjusted. It's also non-wicking, so doesn't absorb water, but with my lack of experience in hydro, I put the last set of seeds right under the drip ring which kept the cubes saturated and I'm pretty sure is what lead to their early demise. :)

The waterfarms came with hydroton, so if I can't get the hang of this STG stuff, I'll switch over.

I'm only using the LED's for flowering (I know...everyone says they're better for veg, but I got one specifically designed for flowering). I'm using a T5 for veg. On my first post, there's links to the equipment I'm using if you want to check it out.

It's really good having you and these other experienced growers following and providing help and guidance. You're all right that smoking it isn't addictive but growing it is and it's driving me nuts right now that I don't have plants vegging!

Thanks & best!

Dude I can't tell you enough there is nothing wrong with your system, veg/flower/seedling side! None of it, you can use exactly what you have we just need to tweek your methods & how you use the equipment you have right now! No worries, brah!:bong:

Chrgrs, yes...I have another PE and another LSD germinating now:

UPDATE: Both new seeds are germinating fine using JCools technique. The new PE seed has been moved to an STG cube and the LSD I started yesterday is now in paper towels in a plastic bag on a heat mat.

I made sure the STG cube was only moist & not saturated with distilled water. I put it in a small plastic container on a thin layer of the STG hail media (so light didn't get at roots) and covered with plastic wrap that I cut some slits in for air. I have this under the T5's which are about 15" above the container. Temps are right around 82*F.

I expect the PE to sprout today or tomorrow and the LSD to be a day or so behind.

I was planning on keeping the sprouts under the humidity dome (plastiic wrap) longer than last time, but see that it possibly should be removed as soon as they sprout so as not to induce mold. Maybe this was part of my problem last time? Any opinions on this?

I think that before I put them in the waterfarm, when they're ready, I'm first going to move them to the bubble cloner and let their roots hopefully explode a little quicker, since it will take longer for the roots to hit the res in the waterfarm.

Obviously that stage between seedling and veg is pretty delicate so all guidance I'm getting here is greatly appreciated!

I do have some rockwool cubes, too, which again, if I can't get the hang of this STG stuff, I'll move to rockwool & hydroton. I do think the real problem isn't the media but my lack of experience with hydro. As soon as I have some sprouts from the current seeds, I'll post some more pics and we can figure out where to go from there. Again, I really appreciate everyone's help! :thanks:

No I think as soon as they sprout we move them into the cubes & into the bubble cloner to set out some roots & get going. This an extra step but I think it is one that will help guarantee success. I also want you to have the light on the bubble cloner on 22/2 thats 22 on & 2 off, temp in this area should be no higher then 75f if we can help it & nothing above 80f for sure. with the Light remember less is better sometimes, so not too much & not too close at first. In the cloner area I would raise the light to 24" above sprouts, watch them close for few days(except during lights out of course) & if they are not moving fast enough we can take the light down in 4" increments tell they go like crazy, very weak nute solution in bubbler water(do you have PPM & PH testers?). I would say at first no more then a quarter strength on a what ever nute you need to use up & I would ph to 5.5 (an get some DM Zone so we can keep the nasties from ever starting) & it will help keep the water ph stable also(has remarkably for me). No more then 250-300ppm in H20 & do not ph the water until you have the PPM's right. One more though, if you want to super oxygenate the water in the bubbler then we add H2O2 or Hydrogen Peroxide to the water 18 to 24hrs before we add nutes(so it can stabilize in water & not hurt seedlings). H2O2 is just 29% Hydrogen Peroxide & can be gotten @ most Hydro Shops or on ebay; but if we use H2O2 you will need to only add @ rate of 5ml/gal. It is amazing how oxygenated the water gets, it almost sounds like it is fizzing with the bubblers :bravo:

And remember we are not here for a long time, so lets have a good time! Happy Grows ~H~

Irish,

Thanks for stopping by. Here's the answers to your questions:

I was using tap water that was left out, PH'd to 5.8ish, and just a drop of superthrive per gallon, with some Hygrozyme and H2O2 at about 1tsp per gallon. Since I lost the first two, I've started the next two seeds using distilled water.
IMO too much stuff that young. why the H2O2 when that young? . super-thrive should be used very low at 1st. i wouldn't use none of it add feed them just Seaweed when u water the cube, it will do wonders trust me. has a ton of stuff in it.

I have not given any nutes yet. My plan was to use Advance Nutrients Micro/Grow/Bloom plus Big Bud, Bud Candy & Overdrive. However, the two waterfarms each came with some GH nutes which I here are good, easy & help stabilize PH, so I was going to use up the GH stuff on the first grow (or two) and then move to the AN when I got some more experience.
IMO AN is a big waist of money, i think you would be allot better off with GH Flora series, good stuff. AN is allot of money and you have to use allot, they make 50 different products when they could add allot of that stuff in 1 bottle but Big Mike likes Big Pockets. just my opinion. just remember keep it simple, less is more sometimes. Lucas Formula is a great way to go in setups like that.

On the first two I killed, the medium was soaked and staying that way (STG instructions said to "saturate" the media") but for this go around, I'm just leaving it damp.
smart move buy keeping it damp now

PH was definately raising (although, I hear that once the plants roots hit and I start nutes, PH should start to stabilize) and I was changing res once per week.
depending on the nutes and how much they drink.

Water temps were about 78*F which I know is high, but no roots had really even made it to the res yet.
68-70*F.

The seedlings themselves are in STG cubes, but the material surrounding the cubes is actually STG Hail...it's a new product and supposed to be able to replace hydroton but doesn't need to be washed or PH adjusted. It's also non-wicking, so doesn't absorb water, but with my lack of experience in hydro, I put the last set of seeds right under the drip ring which kept the cubes saturated and I'm pretty sure is what lead to their early demise. :)
ive seen it looks like cotton, Hydroton needs to be washed but is PH neutral

The waterfarms came with hydroton, so if I can't get the hang of this STG stuff, I'll switch over.
might be a good idea until you get more experience they try other things, but i would stick to whats proven and easy Hydroton, but thats ur call.

Oh, ya & I am going to say it! There will be a lot that argue with me but screw the Hygrozyme/liquid Karma/Witch doctor brew of the week! I have thrown mine out, it plugs my water lines & does not let the roots stay nice white + it's kinda nasty too when you have to clean out the lines to the net pots!:reading420magazine: Also sorry, I see by the last post you have H2O2, not one teaspoon either that is 7-10ml & you need no more then 5ml/gallon of H2O. Happy Grows ~H~

PS-Advanced is good nutes, hell I ended up with Sensi Grow A & B, because I though I would start out with Botanicare Pro Grow but is ORMI rated(100% Organic certified) & not compatible with H2O2 or Zone. Not so hip on the whole organic thing in water now though, if i want to grow organic 100% I will grow in the ground! LOL, Happy Grows My friend ~H~:nicethread:

Oh, ya & I am going to say it! There will be a lot that argue with me but screw the Hygrozyme/liquid Karma/Witch doctor brew of the week! I have thrown mine out, it plugs my water lines & does not let the roots stay nice white + it's kinda nasty too when you have to clean out the lines to the net pots!:reading420magazine: Also sorry, I see by the last post you have H2O2, not one teaspoon either that is 7-10ml & you need no more then 5ml/gallon of H2O. Happy Grows ~H~

just need a good maco and micro profile base nute. now H202 should be added at different rater depending on the % 29% should be used no more then 3ml per gal. should also always be added 1st before nutes. i think its needed unless you have to use it. all thats needed is 2 things Lucas Formula, and PH it will rock things out in DWC. people get way too out of hand adding all of these things and lose focus on their experiment.

AN is decent stuff but not worth the money IMO just a company that milks everyone for their money. but to each is their own. Organics is not good for water thats for sure. but ive seen GH in side x side smoke AN for allot less money many times.

Not just first but 18-24hrs before use to allow H2O2 to stabilize in the water. By the way have you invested in a RO filter yet? And I know the bottle says 3ml/gal but it is 5ml/gal if you are on well water or city well water such as myself!:bong:

Not just first but 18-24hrs before use to allow H2O2 to stabilize in the water. By the way have you invested in a RO filter yet? And I know the bottle says 3ml/gal but it is 5ml/gal if you are on well water or city well water such as myself!:bong:

i use tap water for years but just switched to filter water 8 stage filter and R/O, from the water mill.

H202 dosent need to be added unless you have a problem or bad water.

just the lucas formula is needed with R/O water thats PH in range. heres 1 plant with just GH micro and GH bloom aka Lucas form with a 400w HPS
002433.jpg
09721.jpg

in a DWC system no H202 or any additives.

i use tap water for years but just switched to filter water 8 stage filter and R/O, from the water mill.

H202 dosent need to be added unless you have a problem or bad water.

just the lucas formula is needed with R/O water thats PH in range. heres 1 plant with just GH micro and GH bloom aka Lucas form with a 400w HPS
002433.jpg
09721.jpg

in a DWC system no H202 or any additives.

Nice grow, & not doubting your skills, or what is working for you. I am a person who has had a lot of problems, and made many mistakes & have come out the other side of things. But this is a person who has had problems too & does have the products already and maybe would like some peace of mind, could have bad water & maybe does not sterilize enough. We are not there, and no I never said you have to use it, I said I like to use it & have had very good results from it! And if you've got it, why not use it as a safety measure?:reading420magazine:

PS- I completely agree with you on organics & DWC do not mix!!:nicethread:

Nice grow, & not doubting your skills, or what is working for you. I am a person who has had a lot of problems, and made many mistakes & have come out the other side of things. But this is a person who has had problems too & does have the products already and maybe would like some peace of mind, could have bad water & maybe does not sterilize enough. We are not there, and no I never said you have to use it, I said I like to use it & have had very good results from it! And if you've got it, why not use it as a safety measure?:reading420magazine:

PS- I completely agree with you on organics & DWC do not mix!!:nicethread:

i didnt grow that plant, just trying to show others they dont need whole nute lines.

we all make mistakes and thats how we learn.

you are right i dont know his water quality or his condition's. all i was saying is if you have things dialed in you dont need it. but is good to have on hand if needed.

different things work for different people

i didnt grow that plant, just trying to show others they dont need whole nute lines.

we all make mistakes and thats how we learn.

you are right i dont know his water quality or his condition's. all i was saying is if you have things dialed in you dont need it. but is good to have on hand if needed.

different things work for different people

:bravo:
No worries!
Now you're cooking with gas! I agree with you & some people have great results with nothing but tap water & nute; but I am not one of them, LOL! We need to get him to what is going to work for him & he needs this first success so he will continue & not get frustrated. I think everyone should grow if not MJ then fruits, vegies & flowers! It's all good my friend! Like I say we are not hear for a long time, so let's have a good time!!:party:

Happy Grows ~H~

Mr. Krip, just checking out your journal! I really like your cabinet, I would like to build myself one. I only need 1 main chamber, instead of 2, since I only want to grow 1 at a time, but I like your setup! If I was going to grow more than 1, I would for sure get the complete plans for it from ya! Good luck on those seedlings!! I'm subbed, want to see how things turn out for ya!

Guitar, thanks for stopping by! I really only wanted to flower one at a time, but I wanted to have a perpetual grow so I could take my own clones and not have to start from seed. So, that required a veg and a flower chamber. I'm just hoping to get to use the flower side soon!

Guys,

Thanks for all the guidance. Let me try to address some of the questions/issues and please correct me when you think I'm off base:

I did invest in a good PH/TDS Meter: Hanna HI-98130
And I have the calibration solutions (and storage solution).

The H2O2 was used simpy to help prevent bacteria/mold since I am dealing with high temperatures and it was only 3% H2O2 so it should have been a relatively light dose.

I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to get my temps much below 75* (at least in the short term) without adding ice to the res which I've seen people do. I'm in a very warm climate and room temps are about 72*F. I have been thinking about adding another fan, and think the temps will be more of a problem with the hydro than it will be for the plants (if you know what I mean?).

Irish, I hear what you're saying on the hydroton and am definately giving strong consideration to moving to hydroton, but would like to give it one more shot with the STG (I think!) before I do. Although, I have heard the hydroton does cause PH to rise unless is soaked well first in PH adjusted water. Has this not been your experience?

I have been using primarily tap water that's been left out for 24-48 hours, then add the superthrive, etc. and then PH adjust. I will most likely invest in an RO system at some point but would think I could get through a grow without it. I did start the new seedlings in distilled.

As far as nutes, I'm a big believer at this point, after being overloaded with nutes, (I bought the AN before I bought the waterfarms which came with the GH) that less is more. Scottyballs, who has the waterfarm grow I've referenced a few times, uses ONLY FloraNova Bloom for his ENTIRE grow. Nothing else. I believe that this actually is the Lucas formula (or has the same ratios), but I'm not familliar enough with Lucas and was going to use manufacturer directions dialed down at first to see how plants respond. My plan was to start nutes at 1/4 strength when the plant had its 3rd set of new leaves and gradually increase from there. I do realize that there's no value in trying to overload a plant with nutes and that the plant will take what it will take. I just need to make sure it can take what it wants without getting hurt.

I have no doubts I'll be getting frustrated along the way, but I'm also very determined to make this successful and with all your help, I'm confident I can get there. Your help and input is truly appreciated!

BTW...nothing has sprouted yet, so no good pics to post. Hoping that changes soon and that I didn't plant these girls upside down or something! I just made sure the taproot was pointing down. The LSD is still in paper towels/plastic bag/heat mat with the taproot only a few mm's.

the water temp rising high will cause allot of trouble IMO. H202 will help to put 02 into ur water along with a air stone. but if the water is staying low and just the room temp is higher then u should be fine as long as you dont get too hot.. air flow is the key.

yes the Lucas is also with just the FNB to. i think its 8ml per gal? or something like that.

IMO if things seems to still go bad you should think about going soil until you can learn the plant 1st. or at least 1/2 soil and 1/2 hydro so u can see what u like more. soil is allot more forgiving and it you have good micro life you dont need to deal with PH.

i am not saying give up, but its a great way to start out and learn about the plant more then worry about all the issues.

Back
Top Bottom