1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Special

Re: 1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Spe

Hey K, Well since everyone else is chiming in I though I might. While I do agree that grow medium is not what it is cracked up to be, I would also have to say I see nothing wrong with the seedling! Ya it's taking its time but does not have any indications of problems; Leaves are starting to enlongate & stem color is very good, as well as, leaf color. Do not really think it is stunted due to fact it is growing but it is taking it's sweet ass time! But what have I said before, we have nothing but time!! And I know your out there watching just had to rib ya a little!!:cool: Got whitey on the right road I think, once we get him situated that is. Sorry about all the trouble you're having with that LS* seed stock:sorry: Maybe putting one in soil & pulling some clones is the way to go with this variety, I building my own Aeroponic/bubbler cloner right now. Talk to ya soon, Happy Grows ~H~

Re: 1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Spe

Guys, thank for the input...I was starting to worry, too, since I've been looking at 10-day old seedlings that were FAR ahead of mine and did notice the leaves starting to droop over last few days as they've grown, but didn't know if this was OK. I'm not sure going with soil is feasible right now, but I have moved the netpot out of the cloner and placed it in a plastic container with some paper towels lining the bottom to help draw out the water. The bottom of the cube inserts are definately soaked, so I can't imagine letting them dry a little will hurt anything. I'm really hoping she will recover quick, though. Thanks again for looking out!

Smokey, great to have you onboard! I definately agree that all life wants to live and will do its best to survive, and this plant is especially sturdy, so unless I do something to prevent its survival, I should be OK. I just need to figure out how to best do this and I must admit, this hydro is certainly proving more challenging that I expected, but I'm in it for the long haul.

UPDATE: I didn't want to leave the netpot sitting on the paper towels under lights overnight fearing it may cause a fire. When I went to check it before I went to bed, the media was basically already dried out (certainly FAR from saturated!). I guess the NON-wicking action of the STG was no match for the "quicker picker upper"! So, I just put her back in the cloner BUT I turned the cloner pump off. Since the water level was about 1/2" below the bottom of the netpot, the media is staying dry. When I checked on her this morning, she had definately perked back up. Her leaves are starting to straighten back out from being in the "m" shape and the new set of leaves, although small, should now be visible when I post pics later today. Thanks everyone for helping me catch this early! And, I've learned something, since I think I can now spot when the plant is getting waterlogged! :)

OK...Here she is...still no roots out of the bottom, but definately getting some more/faster growth now with the new set of leaves pretty clearly visible. Again, thanks to all for helping me catch this soon!

Pina_2011-01-19_01.jpg

Pina_2011-01-19_02.jpg

Pina_2011-01-19_03.jpg

:party:

Got something for ya K~

phChart2.jpg

Picture_1163.jpg

That Dutch master is the Shizz, 2.5 week into Flowering!!! Purple Kush
Picture_1154.jpg

Thought you might like the chart my friend!! Happy Grows ~H~

UPDATE: As much as it pains me to report this, it looks like Pina is a gonner. I woke up this morning and she was all drooped over, her leaves twisted upside down, and looks like the cotyledons went from a nice green color to something resembling black. It looks like she dried too much too quickly. I think a big part of the problem is those STG cube inserts not letting the roots get to the res quick enough. I cut the cube out of the insert this morning (only a couple small roots showing out of the cube) and put it in a smaller netpot and then back in the cloner to try to save her, but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm really upset since it's just cost me a couple more weeks of time and another $30 in seeds. I just need to get a stable plant. Strongly considering using Rockwool for my next attempt and even possibly moving to hempy buckets. Right now, I think I'm just going to spend some quality vape time while I contemplate my next move. :bong:

Sorry to hear this. I think you need to stop using the STG cube. Use anything but that stuff.

:sorry: K~

I have to agree, I think it is time to use power plugs, rockwool, anything but those frickin STG cubes. I think I would need my Vape too if I was using those! No more mister nice guy, time to chuck'em & use something else!! Talk to ya soon, ~H~

TMac & H, oh yeah...I'm definately moving away from the STG cubes. I already have the rockwool out for the next round and started germinating another PE seed. I've had good luck getting the PE to germinate, so maybe using Rockwool & Hydroton I'll have some better luck? I definately did not think it would take this long and this many tries to get a plant!

I think I may also try to move the LS* which stilll hasn't sprouted in the STG cube to rockwool. I only have one more LS* seed and two more PE seeds to play with.

Make sure to soak rock wool for 24hrs in PH'ed RO water or will drive you crazy on ph swings!!!:reading420magazine: Talk to ya soon, ~H~

Yeah...I already have the rockwool soaking. I did check the LS* in the cube, and although it hasn't sprouted yet, it's definately got a nice taproot working, so I decided to let that one go.

I've decided on this round to NOT use the cube inserts in the 3" netpots. I have another cloner I made that uses 2" netpots that fit the cubes perfectly. Once I see some roots cominig out of the cube, I'm gonna move to that then move to the waterfarm with hydroton instead of the STG hail.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

UPDATE: As much as it pains me to report this, it looks like Pina is a gonner. I woke up this morning and she was all drooped over, her leaves twisted upside down, and looks like the cotyledons went from a nice green color to something resembling black. It looks like she dried too much too quickly.

Krip- I'm sorry for your loss. I think you may have had some kind of mold/mildew thing going on there- the last few sets of pics showed some very dark shading on/in the STG cube by the base of the plant. The twisting of the leaves was another sign of malaise. If the plant dried up it would have done just that- the plant turning black again points to some type of creeping death that infected your cube or plant. Either way it sucks, I know what it feels like to want to get going and have sh*t happen that puts you back at square one.

Funny thing is that I was exactly in your shoes at the beginning of December. I had some seeds that I wanted to get going and I tried to start up another hydro grow after being away from it for 9 months or so. Damned if I didn't have the same issues you're having with getting seeds to germinate in the paper towels! The f*ckers would crack and stick out a little tap root then NOTHING! Then I managed to get one going and I fried it in the cabinet by being too "aggressive" with my lighting :trance: and then I finally got another one going and I did it again! I realized that my schedule was different and I did not have the time to monitor the environment as frequently so I had to come up with another plan. I ended up doing a soil grow which has worked out very well.

So I'm just trying to say "Been there, done that, done that again, f*cked that up some more, then came up with plan B". It sucks to burn through your premium seeds during the process (did that too). Part of my plan B was to grow a male and do some selective pollination which I am happy to report has succeeded! 2 weeks from now I will have a fresh crop of Easy Ryder II and enough seeds to grow a few more batches if I feel like it.

So keep trying and keep an open mind about how you are going to grow your plants- you'll get there.

JC,

I had some algae growing on the top of the cube. Last weekend, I swabbed the top of the cube with a Q-tip dipped in a solution of 3% h202 in about a 50/50 mix with water. That caused he green to darken and my swabbing spread it out, but I don' believe that was the problem. Also, I was exaggerating a little when I said that the cotyledon had turned black...it's just a little brown at the tip and really shrivelled. I think I just let it dry out too much.

I'm definately not tied to any one method of growing yet, but, I assume whichever method I choose, I'll run into some issues on my first attempts, so I'm just reluctant to abandon any single method with just one failure. That being said, IMHO (along with many others who have commeted here) the STG either isn't for me, or isn't for growing mj, or both!

I'm also considering putting the sprouts/cubes directly in the watefarm and bypassing the cloner entirely (until I take some clones!), which was original plan after the last failure, but I had decided to go with the cloner in spite of the plan.

I'm going to consider this grow a failure and keep this journal active for another week or two, but when I get new sprouts, I'll start a 2nd journal and I WILL have better luck there!

Yeah...I already have the rockwool soaking. I did check the LS* in the cube, and although it hasn't sprouted yet, it's definately got a nice taproot working, so I decided to let that one go.

I've decided on this round to NOT use the cube inserts in the 3" netpots. I have another cloner I made that uses 2" netpots that fit the cubes perfectly. Once I see some roots cominig out of the cube, I'm gonna move to that then move to the waterfarm with hydroton instead of the STG hail.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

Yeah sounds like they were a little overferted and water log.But all is good this how we learn what works and what dont.As for the cloner Ideal sounds awsome.I am also in the process of doing the same with the mini net pots that the rock wool will fit perfect.I think I am going to cut the bottom of the net pot out so that I can pull the cube out with out tearing roots when I transplant.I would leave the plants in the cloaner till they are about 6 inches tall.With your water farm roots have a long way to go before they hit the res.I think 3rd times the charm my friend.:welldone:

Turrtle, I was thinking the exact same thing about cutting out the bottom of the netpots. I think (on my 2" netpots) I can just cut out most of the "ribs" so there's enough to support the cube, but the gaps will be large enough that it will be easy to get the smaller roots through when transplanting. You are also correct...the reason I went with the cloner was to give the roots a head start before putting them in the watefarm, but right now, I'm more concerned with getting a success (not that I have decided against the cloner...just not sure yet on the plan). I started this about a month ago now, and am basically back where I was a month ago just starting to germinate seeds. I'd rather spend an extra month getting a healthy plant than killing another one sooner, if you know what I mean! :yummy:

I apprecate the good wishes and 3rd time will be a charm! :party:

Back
Top Bottom