420Magazine.com Web Graphics Contest

Founder
We are seeking a new graphic website header and wallpaper.

Winner gets custom title, surprise package from our sponsors and an intern position at 420 Magazine.

The banner rotation will remain at top right, but the name, background and wallpaper all need replacing. It would be nice to squeeze our logo in there, but there just doesn't seem to be enough peace to make it look right.

Earth tones, all shades of green, maybe some earthy brown, however mostly greens.

Please send all entries to editor@420magazine.com

:thanks:

Re: 420Magazine.com Web Graphics Contest!

Awesome boss, I hope there are a few in our numbers that can code!
I think it would be great if we got more than a couple of entries and then let the members vote for our fav entry.
Or, maybe even give a top two a spot so members have a choice of skins.

At any rate, good luck to all participants, I am looking forward to seeing the entries!

I wish I could code! LOL I have wonderful ideas most of the time, but wouldnt know how to put it together. It will be fun to see the entries, something new and different.

420 do you mean to say you want to change the company logo again? Or just that you dont see it fitting in the picture?

This is the company logo, what you see in the header is not our logo, however it fits there. I have never liked it and want either our logo in there or something that looks better. The globe by itself looks silly, the text spelling out 420 Magazine is not great and the background nuggets have a huge black hole in the middle. The wallpaper is ancient, the whole thing needs fresh new life.
420 do you mean to say you want to change the company logo again? Or just that you dont see it fitting in the picture?

Thank you for the wonderful submissions so far guys, we are still looking for our winner. ;)

Are you still taking submissions? If there is enough time left, I can come up with a winning submission and I could definitely use the prize:thumb: I love this site, and I know exactly what you guys are looking for:surf: If there is time left, please let me know exactly how much so I can talk with my partner to get crackin at it. He does all my graphics and does an excellent job at it =]

The width for the header is fixed at 980px, but are we limited to 100px in height?

Yeah bro, its a great way to give back to a place that's helped me out so much in the past year.

submission sent.

Rob, I forgot to include my username in the email anywhere. Just look at the screenshots I sent and you can identify my username from there.

I am liking the way this is picking up.

I would also like to Thank Everyone:goodjob: who participates in this!
The Cannabis Community needs many forms of help and a push in many different ways, from all walks of life.

Plus Reps.:goodluck:

This is the company logo, what you see in the header is not our logo, however it fits there. I have never liked it and want either our logo in there or something that looks better. The globe by itself looks silly, the text spelling out 420 Magazine is not great and the background nuggets have a huge black hole in the middle. The wallpaper is ancient, the whole thing needs fresh new life.

The banner rotation will remain at top right, but the name, background and wallpaper all need replacing.

So, three separate elements to work on. I assume you prefer to have the Name element of roughly the same size as the original, at least in width (i.e. I take it you want to support a traditional banner size of 468 x 60 for ad rotation with sufficient margins between the 420 logo and the sponsor(s))

The header is comprised of the entire 980 x 100 px header area, including the '420 magazine' logo/caption, as well as the dried bud in the background. This is currently two separate elements superimposed over one another.

As to the 'wallpaper', I assume you're referring to the repeating tiled image, thus:

wallpape.jpg

(which in this case is lableled 'wallpape.jpg')

While I understand the value of separate elements in CSS, that also creates more variation and inconsistency in how the header info is rendered between the various browsers (of which there is some, currently).

(i.e. While a separate logo/wording and pristine header background images could (will) be provided that allow one to position the elements as one sees fit, the header could also be rendered in its entirety as one image (combining both header elements in Photoshop as separate layers and saved as a composite graphic) that does not need separate html/css positioning elements or dynamic layering in the sheet itself, reducing that inconsistency.

That way you can always go back to the originals if you need to change it (not that difficult), but to the end user it always has the same look and feel.
---------------------------

Personally I don't mind the 'inconsistency' of the current bud picture all that much, in fact I thought it might be somewhat intentional. There is a certain Japanese design aesthetic called Wabi-sabi (which roughly translates as 'the beauty of imperfection'), of which that is a perfect example of.

The background also drops out around the logo text, creating a nice contrast between the sides and the middle and further emphasizing the gradient within the text itself.

Life is not perfect, or symmetrical, and is oftentimes quite hairy, and transient - just like our favorite plants. ;)

A perfect Buddhist philosophy to represent the natural world and our desire to, and success in, choosing to live in harmony with it, rather than going against (or into) the current - the pursuit of which tends to expend (wastes) energy, rather than create it.

The reed that bends with the wind pops right back up when the breeze subsides, leaving it stronger than before.

(But WRT symmetry as a background for the logo, I understand your take also...everyone perceives things differently, no?)

Thanks to Rob for the site (and to any contributors to this contest), and kudos for all you do. :goodjob:

Cheers,

-TL

Back
Top Bottom