600w Coir Closet

darkpiece

After a long break, and moving states I am now growing again. Grab a joint and get ready, because you need to get caught up. We are on Day 18 now!!

On 6/19 I had 10 seeds at DAY 1

day117.jpg

I was 10/10 on

3 - Twlight by Dutch Passion (feminized)
2 - Super Lemon Haze by GHSC (feminized)
2 - Super Skunk by White Label (feminized)
3 - Bagseed from an ok bag

Here is the closet!

day1roomoverview.jpg

day1room.jpg

The closet is 3.5' wide x 4.5' deep and about 8.5' tall... height will not be an issue.

I had them under 8 - 23watt 6500k CFLs. I totaled it up to be about 12k lumens. More than enough for 10 babies for about 15 days or so.

Here they are on DAY 6

day63.jpg

The bottom middle is 1 of the superskunks... she is a runt for sure.

They get watered to saturation when they are about bone dry with pH ~6.3 water and SUPERTHRIVE.

The medium I chose, as you can see above is Sunshine Advanced Ultra Coir.

Here they are on DAY 11

day116.jpg

I added 5ml per gallon of Botanicare's Cal-Mag to the watering now, and will continue with it. I already began to see small Mag issues with 2 of them.

Here they are on DAY 13

day134.jpg

Here they are on DAY 16

day16-1.jpg

day16-2.jpg

The key to early vegging from seed: KEEP THAT CFL/T-5 CLOSE!!!

In my situation, it is important I keep the nodes tight and the plants bushy. NO STRETCHING ALLOWED :grinjoint:

I do not have a giant room, which is a good and a bad thing.

They also received their first dose of nutrients on DAY 16. A half strength serving of AN's Iguana Juice Grow. One of the more expensive blends of veg nutes, I have heard nothing but good things about it and I have wanted to use it for quite some time.

I will talk about what nutes I will use for flower as time goes on, but as of now, they will be fed Iguana Juice Grow, Cal-Mag and SUPERTHRIVE. I will probably pick up some great white mycorrhizae on monday and begin with that as well, but I don't see me adding much more than that in veg. AN has a number of products I'm very excited to try for flower though, so stay tuned to that!!

So Day 17 is here in a flash and it is time to get my exhaust hole cut out, and to get the real hardware going!!

First, the hole is drilled with a 6" flange attached.

day17hole1.jpg

Notice the hole was not perfect, and there was a slight opening... no big deal, nothing a little GORILLA TAPE can't fix (you will see later). The hooks were also installed.

And the mess that was created from the hole

day17-mess1.jpg

Don't worry, the girls were not in there when the hole was drilled.

day17-mess2.jpg

I did not mind the debris at all... I wanted to give the closet a quick scrub before I setup the hardware anyway.

Here they are on DAY 17

day17-beforeLST.jpg

This is right before I tied down all of the girls but the 3 bagseed.

Here is after the LST (low stress training).

day17-afterLST.jpg

In case you are unaware, when you use LST and you tie down the main cola/shoot, it causes the plant to release auxins (hormones) that tell the other secondary shoots to grow large. You end up with a bushier plant compared to the usual christmas tree style.

Here is the best looking Twilight on DAY 17

day17-twilightgood.jpg

Take a look at this SLH, her first node was alternating, and a secondary hasn't and probably will not appear out of one of the nodes!! Never seen that before! You can see right in the middle of the pic, just above the cotyledons.

day17-slhweird.jpg

I will tie down and top the 3 bagseed on Monday, I will also top the other 7 feminized girls on Monday as well.

Here is a shot of the upper area of the closet with the new hardware installed:

day17-setup.jpg

You see the gorilla tape sealing the flange I mentioned earlier. I have a 6" Active Air Intake, it is rated 400cfm, with my room being about 135 cubic feet, the fan is more than enough. I have it hanging on rubber bungee cords to reduce any sort of vibration. I went ahead and purchased a Speedster Fan controller for the intake as I do not believe I will have to run the fan at full power during any part of the grow.

You can also see the carbon filter, it is a Phresh Filter 4x12 - 200CFM. I have little doubt it won't do the job, but if for some reason it does not, then I can simply get a 400CFM filter and that will take care of things. I am not 100% happy with how the filter is hung at the moment. I need to fix the filter and how it is hung, it isn't a hazard right now, but I want to clean it up a bit, and use some different chain.

Finally, here is a pic of the aircooled hood. Excuse the lines, I will have to get a real camera to get better pictures as my camera phone cannot handle the magnetic ballast.

day17-overview.jpg

In case someone is curious, the proper way for a 1 light setup is to have the the airflow go like this:

carbon filter > bulb > intake fan > exhaust hole.

You want your intake sucking air THROUGH the hood... if you have your lone intake pushing air through the hood, you are doing it wrong!!

Here is a closer pic of the girls under their new 600w light. I forgot to mention, I am currently using a maxlume 600w HPS bulb. It is 90k lumens... a couple days before flower I will have a 600w Hortilux Super HPS running in there, you can count on that!!

day17-newlight.jpg

They are sitting a little less than a foot under the bulb.

I do not have a temperature gauge yet, but right now, with my intake running at half speed I can put my hand on the glass and its only slightly warm. Air cooled hoods are awesome!!! I estimate the room to be about 77 degrees with the door closed, which is perfect. Right now, I have a passive intake going as the edges of the door are not flush/sealed with the door frame. Being that the door is not perfectly sealed (with a lightproof intake valve) at this point, I would not feel comfortable flowering as I am sure a tiny bit of light can leak through, so I will have to fix that before flowering. I already have a plan for that so I am not worried at all.

TO DO LIST:
-get bigger drip trays for my plants as I will have to keep them on this stand for a week or so and
-buy great white myco
-top all plants 7/9
-tie down bagseed 7/9
-fix phresh filter fixture
-fix door seal/light leaks.

I plan to update this almost every other day, to keep track of my feeding, and rate of growth among other things. Still a lot of work to be done, and there will always be work to do on this, but that is my favorite part!!

In my next update I'll talk about clones, nutes and other plans I have for this.

Also, if you have been living under a rock, venture on over to this journal:

Aberration Goes Ker Bloom! - Perpetual

Abberation has been running a grow for a little over 3 years now and I have been following it from the beginning, the journal is a freaking encyclopedia on how to grow top quality organics indoor. The guy is a genius and someone I look up to as a grower. If you are on this site, and you haven't seen his journal I am unable to describe what you are missing.

Feel free to ask any questions!! Enjoy!

:Namaste:

Hi mate, well firstly...:bravo: Nice work!! Your growth from seedling is pretty impressive, i have 1 girl under a 400w MH and she been repotted once, but she has taken nearly 14 days to get to your growth at day 10 under your CFL's? But she is starting to settle now i think so hopefully she'll start to show bit better growth. What lighting where you giving your seedlings 24/0 or some dark? Anyways back to your girls.. They look really good and i m keen to see some of those babies bud up for ya! Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;):thumb:

Glad you guys are as excited as I am.

Smokem... a few things.

My day 1 was more like a true day 3, as it took them 2 days after they broke soil to get established, so you can factor that into the equation, I just like a true starting point for all of the seedlings.

As for your girl... seedlings do not fancy high intensity light... its overkill simply put. Much like seedlings aren't ready for nutrients, there is no way they are ready for 45k+ lumens... especially to just 1 seedling. CFLs/t-5s provide a softer, less intense light in the proper blue spectrum. I could probably make a little writeup on my cfl fixtures I made if you are interested. It cost about $45 for 2 - 4 bulb fixtures which gave me about 12k lumens. The fixtures work great and provide ample light to seedlings/early veg plants. I even plan to make one more 4 bulb fixture and use the 12 bulbs for vegging clones... I also didn't even use the biggest cfl's available, so I can even get more lumens out of those fixtures.

I had the cfl fixtures on a 24/0 for the first 9 days... I have been on 18/6 since and will continue till flower. I had no particular reason for the 24/0 for the first 9 days other than I was extremely busy and could never find the time to get to the hydro store and pick up the timer I wanted after work as they close less than an hour after I leave work. I knew 24/0 would not be an issue in early veg so I wasn't in a huge panic about it.. Anything above 18/6 is fine for veg though as far as I am concerned.

I attribute my rate of growth to a few things... mainly the medium I am growing in is a extremely airy and drainable medium. I STILL do not see roots at the bottom of the containers and we are at day 18 with about 5-6 nodes per plant. I can also attribute the SUPERTHRIVE to my growth. Superthrive is something I will never grow without and you can find it anywhere. It is truly a staple to me.

You mentioned you transplated your girl already...? How old was she?? Day 10 or something? I would not advise repotting until you can at least see roots at the bottom of your container. Transplanting causes stress and will slow rate of growth if done improperly and too early. I don't even plan on repotting mine for another week or so, maybe day 30ish...

And like I mentioned in the first post, a big key to early veg is getting the lights as close as possible. I am talking a mere half inch from the bulbs... you have to be careful and keep a close eye but its well worth it and very important to me. I like to reduce stretching as much as possible in veg.

Don't hesitate to ask anything else, I am here to give.

Thanks for your reply Dark;) Ok yeah then if i factor those times in well its about the same:thumb: Thats my opinion also, about the MH being bit much for seedlings..I use CFL's also - at the moment its like 14 hours MH and 10 CFL.. I keep my CFL fairly close and my node space is nice and close, Im startin to move my light up to try stretch her a little tho as im prob LST ing with her. In regard to replanting her, she had a great root system b4 moving, was in clear plastic cup so can see any roots on bottom so thats cool. She was growing her first true single scissored leafs. Thank you for your great info mate. Take it EZ and chat later. Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;):tokin:

Fed all the girls except Bagseed3 (she was still a bit moist).

They got their first full serving of Iguana Juice Grow, the last feeding on 7/5 was only 9ml of iguana juice.

I made a 1 gal mixture that contained
-5ml CalMag
-15ml Iguana Juice Grow (full strength)
-1ml Superthrive

the pH of the 1 gal mixture was 5.9

I realized that I do not have pH UP, as before all I was mixing in was superthrive and a little calmag. Now that I am adding this iguana juice grow, it really brings the pH down, so I will need to purchase some pH UP before the next feeding for sure so that I can get the pH to the proper 6.3.

Anyway, they were all watered to complete saturation and there is a nice pool of drainage that they can drink from for the next 24 hrs.

I did some more tying down on a few of them as well as they have already begun to grow bigger and turn upwards again.

Sorry for the delay on the update

Had a setback with the girls!!!!

So I for some reason I cannot find, Idecided to use bottled water for 2 feedings. It wasn't until a couple hours after the 2nd feeding (2-3 days apart) that almost all of the girls started to show signs of massive lockout. Just classic mag/cal and other mineral deficiencies. I waited a day and did a quick flush with 6.3 tap water and the pH runoff for all of them was 7.2 or so. The pH of my feedings have never been above 6.3 so I was confused. Then I realized the bottled water had sodium bicarbonate. lol... so basically I shocked the shit out of them with a very alkaline loaded solution. Since sunshine ultra coir does not have any lime I was screwed, but thankfully I flushed in time it appears and I transplanted into 2 gal pots with roots organic soil. The new growth looks just fine, but it appears this will have set me back about a week or so.

Only the runt super skunk might not make it, but its not a big deal because the other super skunk looks great.

Ill have a whole picture post probably tomorrow breaking down everything and updating where I am at now.

The good superskunk I have is already showing pistils and its only day 23.

Since the roots organic is already loaded with some nutes I am just going to feed just pH'd water with superthrive... I am now bubbling my water, and I will begin to introduce some beneficials next monday at the latest. I did not top any of them as they were already shocked enough but I think they will be ready to be topped this coming monday so like I said, it looks like I set myself back about a week.

Hopefully this Roots soil isn't too hot for them at the moment... I think I will be fine.

Sorry for the delay on the update

Had a setback with the girls!!!!

So I for some reason I cannot find, Idecided to use bottled water for 2 feedings. It wasn't until a couple hours after the 2nd feeding (2-3 days apart) that almost all of the girls started to show signs of massive lockout. Just classic mag/cal and other mineral deficiencies. I waited a day and did a quick flush with 6.3 tap water and the pH runoff for all of them was 7.2 or so. The pH of my feedings have never been above 6.3 so I was confused. Then I realized the bottled water had sodium bicarbonate. lol... so basically I shocked the shit out of them with a very alkaline loaded solution. Since sunshine ultra coir does not have any lime I was screwed, but thankfully I flushed in time it appears and I transplanted into 2 gal pots with roots organic soil. The new growth looks just fine, but it appears this will have set me back about a week or so.

Only the runt super skunk might not make it, but its not a big deal because the other super skunk looks great.

Ill have a whole picture post probably tomorrow breaking down everything and updating where I am at now.

The good superskunk I have is already showing pistils and its only day 23.

Since the roots organic is already loaded with some nutes I am just going to feed just pH'd water with superthrive... I am now bubbling my water, and I will begin to introduce some beneficials next monday at the latest. I did not top any of them as they were already shocked enough but I think they will be ready to be topped this coming monday so like I said, it looks like I set myself back about a week.

Hopefully this Roots soil isn't too hot for them at the moment... I think I will be fine.

Hi Buddy, Sorry to hear about the minor set back..Hoping they all recover well.. My soil is airy also, its holding alittle water but is regularly dry first 4 inchs down..Soil MM says just on moist at base, i only usually water her say 600ml in morn and same b4 sleep, as i was getting some cupping i thought due to over water, ive raised my light higher as my girl is kinda short n bushy but has good growth at nodes already, but i want her like 6 ft so im hopin i can stretch her a bit more over coming weeks but i like look of her atm i guess..I bought some distilled water and some spring water last week, SW's ph was like 4 and DW is bout 6.1, so i am hopin this is ok to water her with..Now is it important to check the run off that comes from ur soil? if that has a higher or lower number how can you adjust the runoffs ph, would it mean adding calmag or similar possibly?? Thanks- sorry just never thought to check run off...

LOL @ Glas.. True i get that thrown at me a bit! But yeah i treat her good, and every few months she gives me presents;)the smokable kind!!! Gotta update my journal 'Northern lights x widow-just over week from sprout'.. Check it out if ur bored! She's just startin out, and i shouldnt have given a light nute water yet( Goodluk guys, Happy Harvesting;)

After a long break, and moving states I am now growing again. Grab a joint and get ready, because you need to get caught up. We are on Day 18 now!!

On 6/19 I had 10 seeds at DAY 1

day117.jpg

I was 10/10 on

3 - Twlight by Dutch Passion (feminized)
2 - Super Lemon Haze by GHSC (feminized)
2 - Super Skunk by White Label (feminized)
3 - Bagseed from an ok bag

Here is the closet!

day1roomoverview.jpg

day1room.jpg

The closet is 3.5' wide x 4.5' deep and about 8.5' tall... height will not be an issue.

I had them under 8 - 23watt 6500k CFLs. I totaled it up to be about 12k lumens. More than enough for 10 babies for about 15 days or so.

Here they are on DAY 6

day63.jpg

The bottom middle is 1 of the superskunks... she is a runt for sure.

They get watered to saturation when they are about bone dry with pH ~6.3 water and SUPERTHRIVE.

The medium I chose, as you can see above is Sunshine Advanced Ultra Coir.

Here they are on DAY 11

day116.jpg

I added 5ml per gallon of Botanicare's Cal-Mag to the watering now, and will continue with it. I already began to see small Mag issues with 2 of them.

Here they are on DAY 13

day134.jpg

Here they are on DAY 16

day16-1.jpg

day16-2.jpg

The key to early vegging from seed: KEEP THAT CFL/T-5 CLOSE!!!

In my situation, it is important I keep the nodes tight and the plants bushy. NO STRETCHING ALLOWED :grinjoint:

I do not have a giant room, which is a good and a bad thing.

They also received their first dose of nutrients on DAY 16. A half strength serving of AN's Iguana Juice Grow. One of the more expensive blends of veg nutes, I have heard nothing but good things about it and I have wanted to use it for quite some time... MY NEW POST>>

Hey mate, i see your grow is coming along nicely.. My girl is about 20 days old( soil) 400w Mh, she's at about ur day 16 pics now, what stage did you begin to LST them, and when would you suggest feeding my girl sum light nutes?? Any suggestions appreciated.. I have journal 'Northern lights x widow-just ovr week from seed to sprout'..Shes actually C99 x Panama Red, but i do not know much about their growing traits..I want a 6 ft girl.. Thank you for your time bro.. SMokemup:thumb:

Back again.

Ok, time for pics...

Here they are on 7/10, last Tuesday, about to be flushed. They were in complete shock from the feeding (2 days prior) of the bottled water mix that had the sodium bicarbonate in the bottled water. Only the 3 bagseed remained essentially unaffected from the feedings.

I flushed with pH ~6.3 TAP water and the runoff for all the plants was 7.2-7.3.

All of these pics are about DAY 20-21 pics. These pics are very sad btw.

SLH1

2012-07-10_01_31_36.jpg

SS1

2012-07-10_01_25_36.jpg

Twilight2

2012-07-10_01_18_59.jpg

Twilight3

2012-07-10_01_18_37.jpg

Twilight1
2012-07-10_01_07_39.jpg

SS2

2012-07-10_01_11_58.jpg

SLH2

2012-07-10_01_02_471.jpg

Ok, glad that misery was over.

They were beaten, I was beaten up about it. It was a dumb mistake using bottled water, I didn't even have reasoning behind it, I just did it lol

I waited 2 days after the flush and transplanted all of them (on 7/11) but SS2.

I put SLH1, SLH2, TWI1, 2, 3 and SS1 into 2 gal containers of Roots organic. I wanted an already amended/semi-hot soil for the new roots to grow into that could help their transition back to a stable soil pH environment.

They got their first feeding of pH 6.3 water and superthrive on 7/14 in their new soil homes.

I am not feeding them anything other than water, superthrive, and some great white/myco for the next 2-3 weeks as the soil already has plenty of nutrients.

They are all feminzed btw and most of them are showing pistils, there is one thing to be cautioned about though.

Through a bunch of reading I have discovered that Dutch Passion feminized seeds go hermie 90% of the time. I have read about a few twilight grows around the web where almost all the grows talk about the femmed twilight going hermie at 3-4 weeks. My friend who gave me these seeds, grew one from the batch of seeds and said he encountered a few bananas and about 10 seeds in a plant that harvested ~10oz so that is something I am definitely going to have to keep and eye on. Hopefully I got at least 1 good pheno out of the 3 I have going.

Here is a pic of them, 2 days after transplant, on 7/13 (DAY 24). I wanted to wait a day after transplanting before tying them down again so I lost some time there. You can see SS2 on the far left, still in her 4" container... her new growth is good, but thats all thats left of her. I am hoping she eventually grows something that I can clone and restart her in. She was a complete runt from the start though and I might just end up abandoning her, unfortunately. The 3 bagseed are still in their 4" containers and will remain until they have been sexed.

Back left = twilight 1
back right = slh1
mid left = slh2
mid right = twi 2
front left = twi 3
front right = ss1

2012-07-13_09_59_51.jpg

Here they are again, 2 days later, this pic was taken Sunday morning 7/15 right before the lights go out.

2012-07-15_08_06_11.jpg

So now that they have been in their new home for about a week, I need to get caught up with TOPPING...

Instead of topping though, I wanted to FIM as I have never done it before. So I just cleaned some scissors in ispropyl, and

Here are some pics of it

Here is TWILIGHT3

2012-07-16_02_26_38.jpg

Here is a closeup of the main new growth...

2012-07-16_02_27_34.jpg

And the hopefully successful FIM:

2012-07-16_02_29_49.jpg

Here is the SS1

2012-07-16_02_32_20.jpg

Here is her main growth

2012-07-16_02_33_02.jpg

And the hopefully successful FIM

2012-07-16_02_34_58.jpg

Here is SLH1 after FIM

2012-07-16_02_41_55.jpg

I will FIM
-twilight1
-SLH2

as soon as their new growth is ready, which could be later today, or tomorrow.

I will try to update more frequently so I don't have these massive posts!!

watchu packin in that bubbler I see there sir?

BTW ive grown out twilight before... she TRIPLES atleast when you throw her in flower, of all the strains ive grown to date I have never seen one grow so much post the 12/12 switch then I have twilight. seems you have plenty of ceiling space though.... this is one of those plants that you throw it into 12/12 with a bunch of other BiGGER plants and it magically yields way more than all of them... mine was a bit airy with seeds but it still smelled awesome and smoked great. I hope you get a purple pheno =)

your plants look great though.... if a plant cant handle a little "sodium bicarbonate" then it's weak ass genetics anyway haha

Here is what I have had the pleasure of medicating with recently...

2012-07-10_02_23_05.jpg

Yep I am hoping like hell I get the magical purple pheno... it appears I have at least 2 diff phenos out of the 3, as Twi1 has been a very stocky and dense plant since the beginning.... very tight nodes compared to the other 2 twilights that like to stretch a little bit more.

I FIMd the 2 that I didn't yesterday, SLH2 and TWI1.

It was weird about the whole bottled water issue because the 3 bagseed plants had the same soil, and got the same feed, and had little to no signs of what the other 7 showed.

Yes they really rebounded well after that shock. I attribute it of course to the immediate flush and transplant. I probably ended up losing about 10 days because of it but in the grand scheme it is nothing.

I will just continue to tie down, tuck fan leaves and see how this FIM turned out.

I will make my decision on what type of myco to use before my next watering as well.

I am also very intrigued by H&G's Root Excelurator ( Roots Excelurator — House & Garden Nutrients #1 Root Stimulant )

I have read amazing things about it, and the only questionable things I read are people bitching about the price, but you are going to have that with almost every higher end nutrient. I really just want to see how explosive these plants can get with myco and Root Excelurator so I think I am going to pull the trigger and get it to see what kind of results I can get. I couldn't find any good grow logs containing the use of Root Excelurator so it might just be up to me to use it and show my results to everyone else.

As for myco, I'll either go with myco madness or great white... it will probably be a impulse decision when I goto the hydro store.

I will definitely be taking cuts of each of these plants, and I will take the best twilight and best slh... unfortunately it looks as if I will have only 1 SS at my disposal, although SS2 looks fine, its just so setback and I think ill just end up getting a cutting from it eventually and restarting it.

It looks like I will continue to veg for at least another 3 weeks, I will continue to train the hell out of them and keep them short and bushy.

I will definitely move them all to 5 gal buckets about a week before flower, so I am hoping to transplant in about 2.5 weeks or so.

Here is a 7 day difference of SS2

Here she is right as I flushed.

2012-07-10_01_11_58.jpg

And here she is 7 days later, just now.

2012-07-17_00_42_16.jpg

I don't think I will transplant her.

I'll just end up taking a cutting and letting her flower and seeing if shes any different than SS1.

She has been a runt her entire life.

Back
Top Bottom