A Swedish couple in newbies to growing

Hey there! Here's another Swede growing in Spain. :high-five: Let me know if you need any help. I can help on advising regarding equipment and stuff if you want.

A lot depends on your budget also.In a space that size I'd get a 4' x 4' x 7' tent. About a 600 watt LED, In-line fan & Carbon filter 6", Soil & some pots to get started. But have a little extra cash around for 2 oscillating fans, nutrients (I'd use Mega Crop nutrient) as it's all in one & little things like that. Once you get going & see what your temps & humidity are you may have to buy a few things to get that right. Do you have an A/C vent in that room ? If so you can use that to control your temps like I did here.
GEDC4685.JPG

Welcome @sWEED in BCN,

You have joined a great community here, not only for growing but also for information on they many uses and methods of using cannabis.

I started out here 5-6yrs ago during my 1st grow and met many great people, some I consider friend, and learned much from them. For the past 4 years, I was away and not on here but recently returned and am seeing some old names I remember, and some I had learned from have moved on, others have passed on and will be missed.

Once set up, I recommend starting a grow journal to document your grow. Others will pop in and help as needed and it gives something to go back and refer to in later grows.

RC

Looks like a Tent is the way to start?

Yes, you will need a tent to grow in that space. You also need a light, an exhaust fan, and a circulation fan. That's the absolute minimum apart from what's needed for your decided grow style. If you have to worry about smell, you also need a filter.
Decide what size tent you want. Select light/lights to cover that area, and calculate what size exhaust fan the tent size needs.

Hey there! Here's another Swede growing in Spain. :high-five: Let me know if you need any help. I can help on advising regarding equipment and stuff if you want.
Hi There, yes please, all tips are welcome. Tent size , i think we need to go for a 60-80cm deep x 100-120cm wide model to start with. any tips where we can buy a complete set with lights, fans, filters? or any Links?

Thanx so much for all info :) :)

For lights I’d have to recommend BudgetLED. They are more expensive than Mars but Well worth it.

I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the sponsors

:green_heart:

You can grow 4 - 5 full size plants easily in that & probably get close to 4 oz. per plant on your 1st grow. Your yield will increase as you get better at it & learn some tricks.
Hi There, yes please, all tips are welcome. Tent size , i think we need to go for a 60-80cm deep x 100-120cm wide model to start with. any tips where we can buy a complete set with lights, fans, filters? or any Links?

Thanx so much for all info :) :)
I have 3 different size tents, a 4 x 4 x 7...a 5 x 5 x 8...and a 4 x 8 x 7......but I think a 4 x 4 x 7 would be perfect to start :thumb:
read up on how to train for a scrog and you can get much more from your hard work and love :high-five:
4 x 4 scrog, harvested 21oz off of 2 plants

I have 3 different size tents, a 4 x 4 x 7...a 5 x 5 x 8...and a 4 x 8 x 7......but I think a 4 x 4 x 7 would be perfect to start :thumb:
read up on how to train for a scrog and you can get much more from your hard work and love :high-five:
Nice Grow & Yield !!! I think I've gone through every tent size except the Huge ones. Started with a 2 x 4 x 6, then 4 x 4 x 7, then 4 x 8 x 7, then I had all 3 of those going at once. Then sold them & bought a 5 x 5 x 7, a 5 x 10 x 7 & a 3 x 3 x 4. Now I have a 2.5 x 2.5 x 6 with 3 plants in it. Building a Grow Room in my shed so this will end up a seedling tent when I'm done.

If you just want something small you could get a whole set up for $250 - $500 depending on the size, brand, lights, etc. I started with cheapo 600 watt LED's I bought on Ebay for $50 each. I wanted to make sure I could grow before investing Lg. sums of money for equipment. My last 2 lights were P 900's that cost me $1050.00 each. So it can get expensive if you want to get Mega Grows of 1 lb. per plant. I've never hit that. 9 oz. was my max & only did it once. I usually pull 5.5 - 7.5 per plant.

Thank so much your feedback and reply, doing research now and will probably start building in a month or two. We have a big event now in March here in Barcelona called Spannabis 2020. so i have some time in planning and start preparing..

Thanx again for help so far :) :) :)

If you plan to continue growing for a while & you are going to use a 4' x 4' tent you could probably get away with 1 Mars Hydro TSW 2000. They run $250 each. That's what I use. The Budget LED series are really nice but are more costly ... but worth it. QB (Quantum Board) lights are real popular also. All 3 of these lights put out white light that is suppose to be most like actual sunlight.
I use to use the regular reddish / purple looking LED's but you can see your plants much better in the white light which makes it easier to tell when you have a plant problem. Lights can be a matter of preference & budget. If you keep up grading little by little it costs a lot more than just buying some decent stuff that will last you a few years. A decent set up will probably break down something like this: 4' x 4' x 7' tent = $120 - $150, Light $250, 6" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter $100, 2 - Oscillating Fans $40, Fan Speed Controller $20, Temp & Humidity Monitor $20, some solo cups to start seeds, some 1 gallon & 3 gallon pots for up-potting, decent soil (something like Fox Farms Ocean Forrest or Happy Frog) works great. Order some Mega Crop all in one plant food from Greenleaf Nutrients & get a bottle of Cal Mag. A pH pen & TDS meter & you're set for at least 3 - 5 years of growing. By time you finish your 2nd grow the free weed will have covered the cost of what you spent easily.

LED light? :) I know i need lights, how do i choose and what is the difference? Newbie as f@ck ;) :)

As Buds Bunny said, much of lighting is preference. I started my first grow with CFLs and still use them for seedlings. Before flowering my first crop, I invested in a Mars II 900 which did well for me but I didn’t like the “Blurple” light and those early Mars lights really didn’t have enough cooling power and didn’t last as expected.

From there, because I have an engineering background and am always looking to improve on things, I started playing with white LEDs and building my own lights. I still use my 400w 3200k white LED in my seed tent.

Last year I invested in a 4x8 tent and 2 630w CMH lights. These are a High Intensity Discharge light, like MH and HPS, but have a broad spectrum white light and are a newer technology. More efficient, broad spectrum and have UV spectrum.

Pros and Cons of each type of light

MH and HPS

are the cheapest and have been used for decades as grow lights. Both are narrow spectrum with the MH at the blue end and HPS at the red end. They work very well and will grow some great bud, but for truly good grows, you want both and use the MH during veg and the HPS during flower. Also they out put a lot of heat requiring substantial cooling/ventilation depending on your climate.

LED

2 main versions - Blurple and White

LEDs are generally highly efficient and produce low heat, again depending on your local climate, you may have to ‘add’ heat for your plants under LED.

The Blurple versions have a magenta colour making diagnosing problems harder and from personal experience, because they lack (or have little) of the yellow/green spectrum, you miss out on some of the terpenes.

The White LEDs will also grow great bud, and from personal experience provide the best terpene profiles.

The major disadvantage of LEDs are their penetrating power. My home grown 400w white LED, which has 5w CREE chips and is quite powerful compared to most off the shelf LED lights, when kept 6” (150mm) from the canopy top, penetrated about 10-12” (250-300mm)

Training your plants to have a “flat” canopy is the way to get the most out of any light but even more so with LEDs

CMH lights

These are a high intensity discharge (HID) light but use ceramic rather than quartz in the discharge tube with is more efficient than the other 2 HIDs and has a broad spectrum white output.

The 630w DE lights I invested in have an output close to a 1000w MH/HPS, run cooler, and have a 3100k Spectrum. This is a good spectrum to use for your entire grow, seedling to harvest. They have excellent penetrating power, lights @ 12” (300mm) above the canopy will penetrate 18-20” (450-500mm) down into the plants.

As they are relatively cool compared to MH/HPS, and as they have a broad spectrum white output, they are better at producing terpene profiles than the other HIDs. Also they have UV in the spectrum that promotes more potent bud. Also, as they run cooler, bulbs last longer.

The only con I can see with CMH is that they cost about double the price of MH/HPS but you only need one bulb.

I know that is a lot to digest, but to sum it up, I would say if you can afford the CMH (about $380 cdn) , you get the best bang for your buck.

RC

Back
Top Bottom