Aberration Goes Ker Bloom! - Perpetual

Re: Aberration Goes ker Bloom! - 2009

So someone asked me about humic acid in a private message. It's a growing knowledge question, so I think it's better to answer in the thread so everyone can benefit. I won't say who or quote directly, to be nice. :)

To quote Cervantes:

"Humic and fulvic acids chelate metallic ions making them readily transportable by water. This ability is dependent upon the pH level. Copper, iron, manganese, and zinc are difficult to dissolve. When mixed in a chelated form, they become readily available for absorption."

:peace:

I asked about it. I have the same info here. The reason I asked it up is because I read an article I believe and article in West Coast Cannabis about a guy that said he foliar fed with them (or something like that) and it helped keep his leaves green to finish. No yellowing.I asked around at a few dro stores no 1 knew much at 3 or 4 stores. I recently reincorporated nitrogen (the grow part of the 3 part nutes) into my feed regimen to do the same thing. I later read Cervantes says to avoid excess nitrogen as a control. So I again cut it out after reading this. I didn't originally want to post this in ur journal because I have questions and didn't want to thread jack. Any help in this are would help, been wondering about it.

I asked about it. I have the same info here. The reason I asked it up is because I read an article I believe and article in West Coast Cannabis about a guy that said he foliar fed with them (or something like that) and it helped keep his leaves green to finish. No yellowing.I asked around at a few dro stores no 1 knew much at 3 or 4 stores. I recently reincorporated nitrogen (the grow part of the 3 part nutes) into my feed regimen to do the same thing. I later read Cervantes says to avoid excess nitrogen as a control. So I again cut it out after reading this. I didn't originally want to post this in ur journal because I have questions and didn't want to thread jack. Any help in this are would help, been wondering about it.

Ah, I don't worry about thread hijacking, especially with a question like that. :)

I'm not sure how foliar feeding humics is going to keep a plant green, but I'm far from an expert. Myself, I do feed N during bloom as well. It's my understanding that N contributes the most to poor taste in over-fed and under-flushed cannabis, so I flushed well last time and got stellar reviews from everyone who tried it. As a result, I'm of the opinion that N through bloom is great. Just flush well. I start the flush with Clearex and then just drown them every other day for about 10 days.

If anyone else can speak to this or the humic acid question, please speak up. I'm curious as well.

---

I'm only feeding MTO2, OC5,and MTN1 tonight. Everyone else still needs to dry some.

Code:
--> MTO2 (*VEG*):
1. Feed: Water to saturation
   Per gal:
	  1  T Pure Blend Pro Grow
	  .5 t Companion
   Add PBP to 820 ppm
   Bring up with liquid lime to pH 6.20 @ 23.3 C
Code:
--> OC5, MTN1:
1. Pre-flush: 1/2 gal. 
   Per gal:
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
   6.20 @ 23.0 C

2. Feed: 1 gal. ea.
   Per gal:
	 2  t  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 1  T  Notrazyme
	 1  oz yucca
	 2  t  Biggest Bloom
	 2  t  liquid bone meal
	 2  t  Feather Tea
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	1/2 t  Carbon sweet
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
         1  T  Calcium Syrup
	 1  t  Companion
   1290 ppm
   Bring up with liquid lime to pH 6.30 @ 23.0 C

What does chelate mean? I can't seem to grasp the concept and I keep seeing this word. Figure it must be important. I looked it up and the definition includes the same word I'm trying to get the definition for. What's the point of trying to define a word that u can't define w/out using the word in the definition? Can U help me out Abberation? Saw u use it, but was too lazy to shorten the long ass quote so i typed all this.LOL

As best I can understand, organic molecules in the humic acid will attach themselves to the metallic micronutrients. They then end up part of larger molecules.

It seems that the metals will precipitate out (separation), which is pretty intuitive, but the larger combination molecule will happily float around in suspension. As far as I understand, this makes the metallic nutes easier for the roots to take up. And we all can see how that would be good. ;)

So chelation is the process of enclosing a metallic trace element in a complex organic 'floatie'... which plants like, cause they actually get to absorb the metals.

I can't sleep.. Damned knees.

---

Google "wiki humic acid" and in the Wikipedia entry, read the section titled "Humic acid as a chelator". It doesn't say much more, but every time you hear it re-stated, it'll get a little clearer.

---

I now present some random pictures. :bong:

Here are the veg ladies, shot by flash and one floro high overhead in their 3 hour night:

SS854984.JPG

Next is a shot into the bloom room:

SS854987.JPG

Here are some random shots:

SS854989.JPG

:Rasta:
SS854992.JPG

:surf:
SS854993.JPG

:smokin:
SS854996.JPG

---

I must figure out how to deal with these HID lights with my camera. When I take a picture, I get something random between the next two pictures here:

SS854997.JPG

:bongrip:
SS854999.JPG

So I just take a lot of snaps of every shot, and share the best ones. Sometimes, 'best' isn't all that good. <shrug>

This journal is one of the most informative and delightful reads I've encountered in a very long time. Your willingness to learn and dedication to everything you've touched really shows.

I know your proud of the accomplishments, and you should be.
Thank you for putting the same dedication in telling the story as you have in the garden.

Best of luck,

Mr-B

Code:
--> OC3, MTN2, MTO1:
   Per gal:
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
   6.19 @ 22.5 C

Per gal:
	 2  t  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 1  T  Notrazyme
	 1  oz yucca
	 2  t  Biggest Bloom
	 2  t  liquid bone meal
	 2  t  Feather Tea
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	1/2 t  Carbon sweet
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
         1  T  Calcium Syrup
	 1  t  Companion
   Dilute to 1300 ppm
   Bring up with liquid lime to pH 6.26 @ 22.2 C
Code:
--> OC1:
1. Feed: 1.5 gal.
   Total for 1.5 gal:
	 3  T  Pure Blend Pro Bloom (1-4-5, soil and coco formula)
	1.5 oz yucca
	1.5 oz Amino Blast
	 1  t  Carbon sweet
        1.5 T  Calcium Syrup
	1.5 t  Companion
   Dilute to 1300 ppm
   Bring up with liquid lime to pH 6.26 @ 22.2 C (booyah!)

CHELATION is a natural process. In order to prevent absorbed nutrients from precipitation resulting from the interaction of nutrients, such as iron forming precipitation with phosphorus, upon entering plant cells cationic nutrients will immediately form chelates with ORGANIC ACIDS such as citric acids, malonic cid, and some amino acids. This chelation process will then enable the nutrients to move freely inside the lants.

CHELATION in soil increases nutrient availability to plants. Organic substances in the soil either applied or produced by plants or microorganisms are the natural chelating agents. The most important substances having this nature are Hydroxamate Siderophores, Organic Acids and Amino Acids.

What are Chelates and Chelation?

Yeah, I did some reading on humic/fulvic acid and chelation today. Some of what I guessed was inaccurate. So I should now be able to restate more accurately, and in a more layman style:

Without chelation, some micronutrients will combine with other compounds to form molecules that the plants are unable to break back down. That means the micronutrients are not available to the plant to use. In chelation, an organic molecule will combine with the micronutrients instead, and as a result the plants are able to easily separate them again. This makes the micronutrients easer to use, or as they said, increases their bioavailability.

Thanks Soniq420. I saw where you got that by the way and it was a good place for me to start understanding it better. In fact, it prompted me to read up on mycorrhizae in some detail as well. I have decided to do a detailed survey of what is in the nutrients, supplements and other 'controls' I use, starting with the mycorrhizae.

I'll post my results as they are finished. This should be interesting, because in the process I expect to gain a decent understanding of why my feeding regimen works. With luck I'll be able to simplify my feeding recipes and better supply my plants with what they really need. Very exciting.

One of the beauties of growing cannabis as a hobby is that there are so many facets to learn, so many ideas to explore. Oh, and getting high is a pretty good perq as well.

I'll post again in a while when I have fed the girls.

Today I was informed that Matanuskan Thunderfuck (MTN/MTO) is 65 days, not 75. Suddenly, I'm a week late flushing MTN1! OC5 is close enough too. Looking at the trichomes, MTN1 is almost all cloudy, and OC5 is about 40% cloudy. Matty can keep going for a while though, so no worries. I'll take MTN1 down around the 13th or so, and OC5 around the 15th. In any case they both go into flush today.

Code:
--> MTO2, MTO3, OC6, OC7, MTN3, MTN4 (*VEG*):
1. Feed: MTO2 gets 3/4 gal; rest get 1/2 gal
   Per gal:
	  1  T Pure Blend Pro Grow
	  .5 t Companion
   Add PBP to 800 ppm
   Bring up with liquid lime to pH 6.19 @ 22.6 C

--> OC5, MTN1
1. Flush: 1.5 gallons water
         2 T Clearex per gallon

I realized my test case with PBP Bloom was not an apples-to-apples comparison. The nutes in my normal recipe are only in the last gallon, except the bone meal. However, I was giving the test case (OC1) enough nutes for the whole 1.5 gallons. I'm not confident that my alterations are even appropriate, and it's too late for this to be a properly scientific experiment with such a major flaw. However, I am going to follow through with this new recipe, and I will still likely draw a tentative conclusion based on taste and high. The two plants in question, OC1 & OC3, will be in flush in a couple weeks now anyway.

--

Actually, here is my tentative schedule for flushing and harvesting:

Code:
        Begin
Plant   Flush	Harvest
-------------------------------
MTN1:    9/04     9/13 or so
OC5:     9/04     9/16
MTN2:    9/11     9/21
OC3:     9/17     9/27
OC1:     9/19     9/29
MTO1:   10/04	 10/14 or after

---

Easy feed tonight.
Code:
--> OC3, MTN2, MTO1:
   Per gal:
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
   6.22 @ 22.9 C

Per gal:
	 2  T  Budswel (0.01-0.10-0.01)
	 2  t  PGE
	 1  T  Notrazyme
	 1  oz yucca
	 2  t  Biggest Bloom
	 2  t  liquid bone meal
	 2  t  Feather Tea
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	1/2 t  Carbon sweet
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
         1  T  Calcium Syrup
	 1  t  Companion
	 2  t  Bt-i
   Dilute to 1300 ppm
   Bring up with liquid lime to pH 6.27 @ 22.7 C
Code:
--> OC1:
1. Feed: 1.5 gal.
   Total for 1.5 gal:
	 2  T  Pure Blend Pro Bloom (1-4-5, soil and coco formula)
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	 1  t  Carbon sweet
         1  T  Calcium Syrup
	 1  t  Companion
	 2  t  Bt-i
   Dilute to 1300 ppm
   Bring up with liquid lime to pH 6.27 @ 22.6 C
---

Tomorrow I go to visit two relatives who toke. They have birthdays 2 days apart and they are getting together to get baked. I will participate. It will be glorious!

---

And because you know I love you guys, I took some random pics, even though my camera sucks. Here's what's worth lookin' at.

The foreground bud is OC1 @ 51 days (finishes @ abt. 75):

SS855015-oc1.JPG

Here's MTO1 @ 26 days (finishes @ abt. 65). I never got a focus on the pistils, but look at the surface of the leaves that are in focus! I love that Matty:

SS855022-mto1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom