AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal - Ebb&Flow - Bubblelicious 2013

I think I see little stringy hairs or something growing out of some of those dark specks on on those leafs of your Bubb plant AG.

Sweet and informative update brother! I wonder if the cooler temps you're running might have something to do with the spotting?

Good update as always AG

Thanks Victor ;)

I think I see little stringy hairs or something growing out of some of those dark specks on on those leafs of your Bubb plant AG.

I think those hairs are normal Reg. Roll up some of your most psychedelic strain, walk into your tent, and rub your fingers in between all parts of the plant. You will notice a 'fuzzy' coat over the whole plant. Spliff is optional.

Oh man, Those buds are gonna be AWESOME AG:)

Those specs are weird, what if any, is the magnification on those pics?

Hey SweetLeef, thanks for stopping by. the magnification is 30x. It is a 30x-60x cellphone attachment microscope.

Sweet and informative update brother! I wonder if the cooler temps you're running might have something to do with the spotting?

What's up Sky. That is an interesting thought. Nonetheless, I will be observing the affected leaves in correlation to the 'purple-ing' of the plant as a whole.

>>>I did a res change today, leveling out the PPM to 900. I have decided that she will need at least another 2 weeks, maybe 3...so coinciding with not lowering the PPM incrementally weekly

Glad to hear you're being patient. Sometimes they will surprise you and in a matter of a few days you will see some amber trics popping up everywhere. The fact that it's turning purple is a great sign too. At this point I also take away the "grow" and florablend. Sometimes if I'm using too much N toward the end that will extend them out a bit.

>>I noticed a lot of 'black specs' on the underside of some leaves attached to the colas of the Bubb plant. At first glance they seem like overly mature resin glands...but then again I don't know.

Your first glance is correct :)

Are you using any bloom booster?

>>>I did a res change today, leveling out the PPM to 900. I have decided that she will need at least another 2 weeks, maybe 3...so coinciding with not lowering the PPM incrementally weekly

Glad to hear you're being patient. Sometimes they will surprise you and in a matter of a few days you will see some amber trics popping up everywhere. The fact that it's turning purple is a great sign too. At this point I also take away the "grow" and florablend. Sometimes if I'm using too much N toward the end that will extend them out a bit.

>>I noticed a lot of 'black specs' on the underside of some leaves attached to the colas of the Bubb plant. At first glance they seem like overly mature resin glands...but then again I don't know.

Your first glance is correct :)

Are you using any bloom booster?

Thanks for the advice on the Grow. I had already stopped the Florablend since week 8 of flower.

>>>Are you using any bloom booster?

Are you some sort of mind reader or something? If you are saying this is the cause then wow :bravo: Capn. I did in fact use Floralicious at week 8 of flower, mid-way between res changes. I used it once at 1ml/gallon.

I know I know...stick to the recipe :rofl:

What a quick catch Capn.

>>I did in fact use Floralicious at week 8 of flower

Are you referring to the "Floralicious bloom"?

prodimg_floralicious_fl_bloom_01.png

"This metabolic fuel solution is packed with powerful vitamins, complex plant sugars, protein building amino acids, seaweed extracts, carbon building blocks & aromatic oils all in a fulvic acid base."

There is nothing wrong with using a bloom booster in the last few weeks. In fact, I use a bit myself (kool bloom) but VERY sparingly. It is easy to get into trouble and add too much and dehydrate your plant, stunting growth. I used to use floralicious plus in veg thru first 2 weeks of flower, but stopped using it because it is so dark, and it is a "sweet" product. It could spark slime if conditions are not perfect. In dirt / organic, I use it for sure. In hydroponics, I think it would be a great addition to the tea at 1ml/gal. This would allow the microbes to eat up the sugars before adding them to your plant.

I wasn't suggesting that those amber spots on the bottom of leaves were a problem, or caused by using a bloom booster. I have seen those amber spots as well.

If you look with a jeweler's loupe, or other 30x mag, you will see tricomes on the underside of plants that don't have glands. IN fact, we can see them in this picture you took. These are called "non-GLANDular" tricomes. They usually only appear on the underside of leaves because they don't get light. I do believe the amber spots you are seeing under the leaves are simply some of those tricomes getting ripe.

20140110_075813.jpg

Did you know... ?

1. The "heads" or glands on tricomes actually perform a function? They magnify the light and this helps in the process of making THC.

2. Tomato plants have tricomes too. Did you ever smell your hands after touching tomato plants? You can see the trics on the stems and leaves all over tomato plants. Many other aromatic plants have them too, like mint.

hair.jpg

Did you know... ?

1. The "heads" or glands on tricomes actually perform a function? They magnify the light and this helps in the process of making THC.

2. Tomato plants have tricomes too. Did you ever smell your hands after touching tomato plants? You can see the trics on the stems and leaves all over tomato plants. Many other aromatic plants have them too, like mint.

hair.jpg

Capn, thank you for your fat nuggs of wisdom! You've taught me more than I know ;)

GREAT GREEN NEW YEAR TO YOU Mr.AfricanGrower CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR HARVEST. . . . :bravo:
SIR, I WAS INSPIRED FROM PAGE 1. . . ;)
THOSE CROUTONS GOT ME CONVINCE ON PAGE 3 AFTER TheCapn BLESSED US WITH HIS KNOWLEDGE :rollit:
Mr.AfricanGrower :high-five: FOR SHARING YOUR GROW WITH :420: + REPS . . . :passitleft:

FOR MAKING IT LOOK EASY. . . . .:laugh: . . . . :laugh: . . . + MORE REPS FOR YOUR HARVEST . . . . :clap: . . :clap:

SIR I STARTED MY CROUTON GROW AND I'M LOVING IT . . . . :tokin:
MAY THIS HARVEST BE ONE OF MANY. . . . .:Namaste: (*_*) PS. REPS TO TheCapn
"Each One Teach One"

Did you know... ?

Do you have a source for this story?

What i've heard is that the trichomes reflexs the light of the budds onto the leaves.-> protecting the bud(witch can't cool them selfves properly.)

and when light magnifies it doesn't become stronger but only more focused on one area.

What i've heard is that the trichomes reflexs the light of the budds onto the leaves.-> protecting the bud(witch can't cool them selfves properly.)

and when light magnifies it doesn't become stronger but only more focused on one area.

If this holds true, would it not already be common knowledge to jack the temps up higher to make our favorite plant produce more trics to better manage the added temps I'd through at them?

>>> Are you referring to the "Floralicious bloom"?

No I used the "Floralicious Plus" (2-.8-.02) that came with my GH starter kit.

That is pretty interesting there Exemp. I had no idea of ANY function of the 'head' besides getting me stoned :laughtwo: I will get to the bottom of this myself, as both you and the Capn has gotten me to think!

Thank you all for the words of encouragement!

Did you know... ?

Do you have a source for this story?

Tricomes have many functions. Here's a good read:

MARIJUANA OPTICS: An elaboration on the process that makes THC

>>>would it not already be common knowledge to jack the temps up higher to make our favorite plant produce more trics to better manage the added temps I'd through at them

Give that a try and let us know how it works out ;-) Just kidding.

>>>would it not already be common knowledge to jack the temps up higher to make our favorite plant produce more trics to better manage the added temps I'd through at them

Give that a try and let us know how it works out ;-) Just kidding.

I'll turn off the fans and lock the closet till harvest. That should get me up to 110º-120º! Jk, jk

Hey AG,

I'm getting my ebb and flow going for my second grow. Got the Journal up today. I am still in the planning stages. If you get a chance would you check it out? I've asked TheCapn to check it out as well. I learned quite a bit from both of you and would love your thoughts on my plans. I really appreciate the information you have shared and the lengths to which you have gone to gain some of that information. The link is in my sig.

Thanks, AG! ;)

An update would also be appreciated. I miss the Bubb!

18/1/2014

FLOWER DAY 80

Hello 420! I am here with another weekly update of the Bubb. First off I want to note that my brilliant cover image for this journal on PAGE 1 has been removed (voided forum guidelines), an image that became my goal at the end of this journey...I will upload it again (following guidelines this time Rico ;)) and let the poster-image for this journal arise again!

That being said, I can now confirm ONLY 1 more week until harvest:high-five: About 3/4 of the buds on the canopy are right where I want them for harvest, so I will be closely monitoring the trichomes of the mentioned areas throughout the week. Going by this strain so far, I can give up to a week and half for that 'perfect' harvest time!

This weeks photos were taken just before lights came on today. With help of some CFL back lighting, I hope to give a clearer view of how juicy these buds are becoming!

20140118_065241.jpg

I changed the res today, adjusting the PPM to 850 and completely removing the GH Grow. I also added 1ml/gal of bloom booster. I plan on incrementally topping off with water during the week to slowly bring the PPM down to around 600 by Friday.

20140118_072455.jpg

Here are some comparison shots of a normal sized BIC lighter, and a normal 24oz can of pop.

20140118_070136.jpg
20140118_070154.jpg
20140118_070211.jpg
20140118_070316.jpg
20140118_070259.jpg
20140118_070238.jpg
20140118_070607.jpg
20140118_070506.jpg
20140118_070520.jpg
20140118_070538.jpg
20140118_070422.jpg
20140118_070357.jpg
20140118_070412.jpg
20140118_070440.jpg
20140118_070732.jpg

Here are some EXTRA shots of some of the ripening-action going on deep in the foliage:morenutes:

20140118_065350_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20140118_065444_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20140118_065635_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20140118_065642_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20140118_065729_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20140118_065832.jpg
20140118_065850.jpg
20140118_065939.jpg

Out of the 4 colas that I TOPPED (aka 'back-building') this one has shown the most vigorous outward growth, creating a girth that encompasses my entire hand.

20140114_071503.jpg

Here are some more late growth happening after opening up some foliage days ago.

20140114_071345.jpg
20140114_071434.jpg

Okay on to some trichome shots. I decided to capture pictures this time around to get a clearer view of a specific area of trichomes.

20140118_080707.jpg
20140118_080605.jpg
20140118_075320.jpg

I say that I have a 90% concentration of cloudy trichomes and 8% concentration of clear, with only a 2% concentration of amber trics. I want to pull the plant with at least a 5-10% amber concentration.

Do you guys remember the sample I cut off the Bubb last week? Well I put it in the jar to cure 5 days ago...and VOILA! A fine specimen indeed.

20140117_012519.jpg

Even better than that, I took another very small sample from the purple' sections of the Bubb. Look what I came out with:yummy:

IMG_20140118_080920.jpg
20140118_170343.jpg

Well things are starting to smell wondrous in my house, to the point where I stopped using ONA Gel just because of how lovely the scent is. I can best describe it as a damp fruity smell, with the tiniest undertones of lemon zest. Oh this strain is going to cure great! Updated harvest predictions stand at 6-8oz.

Until next time friends :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom