AKGramma's Harlequin Soil Grow Fall 2018

I happened on a couple of sites discussing the brewing of tinctures in general (which apply to cannabis, as well). I learned something new.

1) you only need high-proof liquors if you are using fresh herb.

2) Dried herb needs the 80 proof, as the dried herb needs the extra water to re-hydrate, allowing the healing compounds in Cannabis to be extracted.

Since I use dried cannabis parts (everything but the stems and roots), I don't need to stress when my favorite store stopped selling high-proof liquors.

I recently made a couple of batches of tincture using Don Q and Bicardi 151. They were so strong they burned my mouth and throat going down. I ended up diluting the tincture so I could tolerate it. So, back to 80 proof plain vodka, which is a lot less expensive than Bicardi and Don Q. I did find the diluted rum less bitter than vodka, however. So it might be worth using Bicardi 80 proof for a batch to see how it tastes.

I'm not fond of liquor of any kind as a drink, so I'm woefully ignorant on mixing drinks. I really have no alcohol tolerance!

I did try using my tincture in a wine cooler, which was easy to take, gave me the pain relief I was looking for, without getting drunk. It DOES make me sleepy, so it's just for bedtime, and gives me a good, pain-free night's sleep.

What I'm discovering is that after consuming 4 oz of my wine cooler for a few nights in a row, I can actually go days without it, as it has a cumulative effect. Once that cycle of continual joint pain is broken, joint pain during the day greatly diminishes.

This and a very occasional occasional edible is all the cannabis I take. I don't smoke, and I don't ingest all day long.

I have learned a lot about what works for me, and am very pleased with the adage "less is more". :battingeyelashes:

I'll always vape but tinctures and oil are in my near future.

The huge advantage of tinctures, is that you can use most of the plant, not just the big beautiful buds. And you are getting ALL the healing compounds in the plant, male or female. You're not burning them off, since you don't cook/heat the herb using the old methods. You are brewing them.

Tincture may be the way to go for thc.

You'll get a lot more than THC from a tincture, because you don't normally decarb before pouring the liquor over the plant material. The month or two that you let it brew decarbs it naturally, saving more of the other compounds.

A month isn't too long to wait.

Not really. I have forgotten a brew for a couple months still in the lower kitchen cabinet. it gets better with age.

Oh, and you don't toss the left over mash when you decant it. Dry and grind the herb for cooking. It has a smooth, non-bitter taste, with a hint of whatever liquor you brewed it in. YUMMMMMM.

I refrigerate the tincture because it has plant matter in it,. It will keep a long time. The dried herb should last many years, without refrigeration.

I'm discovering some features of my digital camera, but I still have trouble with the focus on the "white" pistils. All pics at 32nd day since switch.

First two are the Afghani buds.

Various shots of Harley buds, seeded. Once I get the focus figured out, I might be able to show the seeds as they really are. The Black and white was to show off the Trics. The purple is from the LEDs.

So for like 15 bucks on Amazon or at your local grow shop you can get these glasses to protect your eyes from indoor grow lights. They adjust the color to look almost normal. I love using them to filter my camera if leaving the lights on. They also remove the magnetic ballast lines. Make shots look decent.

Yeah I have both a set of HPS and L3D glasses.

The The LED ones below are nice as they are wrap around fuller coverage. The HPS ones are nice because a flatter lens is easier to filter through.
61nxw4MuX3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg71BFZsT0SoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I also got some a while back from I think apollo horticultura that are nice but are obviously not fashionable and wearing them out gives you away to growers. But I like them the best as they are bigger and most glasses don't fit my head.

I FINALLY got a clear pic! One out of 10. I think the trick is backing away from the subject to get it in focus. The camera takes HUGE pics, so I can just crop to what I need.

One of the mini Harley buds with seeds. 33 days past the switch.

:yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom