AKGramma's Harlequin Soil Grow Fall 2018

Today is the 8 week mark, when the sources say that Harlequin should be harvested. Mine are far from ready.

* no sign of shriveled amber pistils, altho the pistils are still shrinking, looking more like fat pin worms than pistils.

*no sign of amber tricks, altho they are HUGE and numerous through the loupe.

*calyxes are still not fully plumped up

* seeds are still solidly buried in their calyxes, too tightly held to pick out

* Seeds are mostly pale, not fully brown yet.

Harley's fan leaves are showing brown edges, but I read that we dont give a high nitrogen fertilizer this late in flower. Some sugar leaves also show browning.

I'm still watering them regularly (approx once a weeik) till water leaks out the bottom.

Is there anything I should be giving them at this point?

I hopped over to Mouser's HHK grow, and saw what maturing seeded buds look like when they get closer to harvest. I was right. I have a ways to go compared with his June 3rd photos, about 9 weeks and some change after switch.

:popcorn:

I was using Botanicare PURE BLEND PRO Bloom at about 1 capful per gallon up until flush for mine. I have trouble bringing anything with more than a touch of sativa in it home without frying the crap out of it at the end. They seemed to finish well with the light feedings.

TY, Mouser! I may be too late to feed them anything at 8 weeks in flower, but a light dose can't hurt, eh? I see that YOUR HHK leaves turned brown around the edges near the end.

Until recently, I have always raised sativa-heavy hybrids. I didn't like how the mostly-sativas attracted mites, or how lanky they grew, even with heavy training. And they seemed to lose all their leaves and looked like survivors (barely) of a nuclear war by harvest. (bud on a stick)

Bubblelicious by Nirvana Seeds was always buggy, sick, and prone to losing leaves. I subbed AK 47 and AK 48 for the BBL, and was very happy with their growth and effects.

The Harley is very interesting, and generous with her buds, trics, and resins,, even though seeded. The Harleys were easy to grow and fast to veg and put out flower/pods. I'm going to enjoy growing out the offspring (HarxHar).

Miss Afghani is my first full-indica. I can see why growers get spoiled by growing Indicas. They add vigor and strength to a hybrid, which is why I have collected so much Afg pollen.

As for effects, ALL cannabis puts me down like a dead dog. We'll see what Harley and Afghani do for me. I'd like to be able to ingest them during the day and stay alert.

My Harley/Kosher Kush cross was by far the best plant I ever grew. Frosty and very tasty. I find it very relaxing, but my niece finds it energizing. I actually kept a jar of it for myself...dont tell her though :D

In the past most of my sativa leaning strains went all crispy critter on me in the end...probably due to not reading the plant right and over feeding. I kept the HKK on a light feed cycle the whole way and only burned a little bit at the end

My Harley/Kosher Kush cross was by far the best plant I ever grew. Frosty and very tasty. I find it very relaxing, but my niece finds it energizing. I actually kept a jar of it for myself...dont tell her though :D

In the past most of my sativa leaning strains went all crispy critter on me in the end...probably due to not reading the plant right and over feeding. I kept the HKK on a light feed cycle the whole way and only burned a little bit at the end

Yep. Looks like we have the same experiences with Harley (great results) and with Sativas (shitty) in general.

I have gotten sturdy plants, lots of resin, and great buds from AK 47, AK 47x Durban Poison, AK 48 (AK 47 x Ice), Autoberry (was one long cola from soil to tip), Jock Horror, Harley, and Afghani.

I don't think that what you got at the end was nute burn on the Harleys, as mine are doing the same thing, and I only fed her 3 times (pre-treated the pot weeks before transplant, once 2 months into veg, and once a couple weeks after the flip). Maybe it's the way Harleys use up their leaves at the end of the run.

I don't use foliar sprays, except when the mites show up, because I get better quality buds if I don't mess with them, and their leaves stay nice and green.

I looked in on the grow today, and I really think Miss Harley is done! Most of her remaining fan leaves are withered up, all the pistils are either shrunk down to nubs or amber, and the trics are standing tall and proud. They look all cloudy to em. There is a pleasant woody-earthy scent coming off her, nothing that screams WEED!!!!!!!

Lady Afghani has about a week to go, as some of her pistils are still long and white, altho she is eating up her fan leaves as quickly as Miss Harley.

The only suitable place I have to hang them is in the grow unit, so I'll have to harvest both at the same time, hang them, and turn off the lights. The other option is to trim out the buds and dry them flat. I'm going to hang them this time and put down something to catch any seeds that fall out.

Miss Harley was too cumbersome to hang so, I trimmed her out one stalk at a time off the living plant, dropping the trim in one container and the colas and buds in another.

Too much to weigh wet, so will give numbers after the harvest dries. I cut a couple of the larger (7" and 8") colas down so they would dry properly. I may still have to separate the florets from the colas, if they are too slow drying. Humidity in the house is 45%, with 75 deg. F air temp.

This is Harley trimmed out for reveg. I see new growth already at the nodes, so am going to give it a try. I blocked off a small cubicle with her own CFLs on 24/0 within the grow unit, leaving Lady Afghani to mature longer under her own 12/12 schedule.

This last photo is an attempt to capture how long the Afghani pistils still are, this late in the maturation process. It is supposed to be ready even sooner than Harley, but she DID pop up a tad later than the Harley, hiding in the bin where her mother used to live. One source stated that Afg was high in CBD, not as much as Harley, Catatonic, and the like, but enough that is IS medicinal.

Some strains never seem to totally finish, I think it's a desperate attempt to propagate. :Namaste:

Early in my grow "career" I had a sativa-heavy strain start to backfill (foxtail?) near the due date. I finally had to call it good at 120+ days in flower. The familly said it was a good smoke! ;-)

I decided to harvest Lady Afghani this morning. I left a bit of green for reveg. Now the whole grow unit is on 16/8. I know I have to wait for the leaves to catch up to the roots, so wont give them nutes until I see some good growth. I DID mist them to raise the humidity some.

So, it's time for me to grow some buds. I have 10 auto seeds: 2 Jock Horror and 8 Autoberry, all feminized. JH has an Afghani in its early ancestry, so just might be able to get some seeds, using a Afg father..

Autoberry is a lowryder-Berry-grapefruit hybrid that grows short. I dont have any ancestors to breed it to. So they will be a one-off grow. Maybe spread out the crop by month intervals, to use my limited space more efficiently.

Note to Admin: Once I post the dry weight and seed count of the Harleys, I'll ask you to move the journal to Completed.

I picked out about 300 seeds from the Harlequin buds. I estimate that about 45% of them are too immature to sprout. These are very pale. The rest vary from slightly spotted to spotted and light brown.

The bud material that is left is still really sticky and not dry enough to weigh.

Afghani seeds are larger, fewer, a bigger percentage are mature, but they are buried deep in very sticky buds. I DID pick out close to 100, but the rest is going to have to wait till the buds dry.

I expect the Harghani offspring to be very sticky and sturdy.

Back
Top Bottom