Aloha from Maui

SurfWeed

420 Member
hey all just wanted to say hi from west maui. seems growing in hawaii comes with a lot of challenges. hope to contribute in some way once i have my own system down tho. cant believe how clueless i was before all this 'research'..still am.. but im so intrigued and hopefully ill be able to pull off my FIRST grow outside/inside (northern light autoflowers) with all the knowlege accumulated here on this forum. after putting in countless keywords on google search, @InTheShed had a post about bringing autos inside for additional light every night worked well for him, so this is what im going to be doing! :) seems photoperiod sativas are the best bet for outdoor hawaii though (ordered some maui wowie for next grow which i willl try to time my harvest in end of winter maybe? so it gets closest to 12/12 during flowering period naturally under the sun).. but i think i will be able to learn a lot from growing these autoflowers first. other hawaii growers-please reveal yourselves...the information on growing in hawaii is very limited and our medical marijuana from the dispensary is nearly $400 an oz .. $200 for any decent stuff i can get from NON dispensaries. go through about 2oz of dry buds every month. my growing endgame goal in my mind is this: mini greenhouse in the backyard for one or two plants in at least 7gal pots that i can supplement with extra light once the sun goes down. just enough for my habits which is roughly 20-25 oz a year. it is a trying time financially right now so it might take a little while to get to that point but its what im envisioning. would love to read some hawaii grow journals and see some outdoor setups..since some of you may know..hawaii had the most expensive electricity costs in the country. aloha all!

Hey! Glad to tell you that you can become totally weed independent in a few months from today! Especially with northern lights auto. They don't need much space or resources. I would recommend trying a perpetual grow where you start a new seed every 2 weeks. Then you can harvest an ounce or three every other week for as long as you want

Also, by your 2nd or 3rd harvest you'll have filled enough jars to last a while so you can start try other strains and not be S.O.L. of you didn't care for one

hey all just wanted to say hi from west maui. seems growing in hawaii comes with a lot of challenges. hope to contribute in some way once i have my own system down tho. cant believe how clueless i was before all this 'research'..still am.. but im so intrigued and hopefully ill be able to pull off my FIRST grow outside/inside (northern light autoflowers) with all the knowlege accumulated here on this forum. after putting in countless keywords on google search, @InTheShed had a post about bringing autos inside for additional light every night worked well for him, so this is what im going to be doing! :) seems photoperiod sativas are the best bet for outdoor hawaii though (ordered some maui wowie for next grow which i willl try to time my harvest in end of winter maybe? so it gets closest to 12/12 during flowering period naturally under the sun).. but i think i will be able to learn a lot from growing these autoflowers first. other hawaii growers-please reveal yourselves...the information on growing in hawaii is very limited and our medical marijuana from the dispensary is nearly $400 an oz .. $200 for any decent stuff i can get from NON dispensaries. go through about 2oz of dry buds every month. my growing endgame goal in my mind is this: mini greenhouse in the backyard for one or two plants in at least 7gal pots that i can supplement with extra light once the sun goes down. just enough for my habits which is roughly 20-25 oz a year. it is a trying time financially right now so it might take a little while to get to that point but its what im envisioning. would love to read some hawaii grow journals and see some outdoor setups..since some of you may know..hawaii had the most expensive electricity costs in the country. aloha all!
Welcome surfweed. Lots of great people here to help with your northern lights.

:welcome: to 420mag SurfWeed!
, @InTheShed had a post about bringing autos inside for additional light every night worked well for him, so this is what im going to be doing!
I'm glad I could inspire you! Not only has that worked for me (that post was almost four years ago), but my entire grow operation is based on moving plants inside and out every day (photoperiods too). It takes commitment but it works well for me.

:welcome: to 420mag SurfWeed!

I'm glad I could inspire you! Not only has that worked for me (that post was almost four years ago), but my entire grow operation is based on moving plants inside and out every day (photoperiods too). It takes commitment but it works well for me.
very cool. may be able to work it out so long as i dont drop my plant on the way in! i have an alternating morning/night job. do you think it will hurt much if i cannot bring them in for one night once in a while??

very cool. may be able to work it out so long as i dont drop my plant on the way in! i have an alternating morning/night job. do you think it will hurt much if i cannot bring them in for one night once in a while??
What are your temps at night? As long as it doesn't get too cold I don't see any problem. Are you worried about light timing? The only thing growing outside here are icicles.

is hawaii a legal state ?
if it was i'd be growing outside in a heartbeat. supposed to have some of the best conditions in the world.
jealous lol. :)

is hawaii a legal state ?
if it was i'd be growing outside in a heartbeat. supposed to have some of the best conditions in the world.
jealous lol. :)
I have herd differing opinions on the volcanic soil there. Whats your opinion? @SurfWeed if you can put your board down long enough to grab your phone and answer. :surf:

You need a medical card.

crummy. you need a med card here to get above a 4 plant limit. the majority just grow a couple over and stay quiet.

a card gets you legal for a couple dozen or more. a lot of folk with the cards don't even have room to grow limit, as most jurisdictions won't allow outdoor. 24 plants indoor becomes more than a hobby lol

Check out my Island Grow. Link it signature. It was my 1st grow in many years.
very nice man just checked it out. maui is so diverse in micro climates. i read you were in iao for those? they grew beautifully. im in lahaina. closer to the ocean, but not far from the base of kahoma valley. freakishly hot during summer tho and we get these freak gusts of wind once in a while that funnels through the valley. spells of humidity and rain..you know the deal in maui..very unpredictable but ive got a nice spot on the porch right now for a few plants that gets some good sun. my girlfriend's dad from philippines plants eggplants n okra, some vine veggies, gave him an autoflower seed to try as well. he used to work for HC&S and knew guys that grew in the cane fields. id really love to keep everything outside. will have to see how they fare. ive read sativas generally fare much better outdoors here..got some other seeds on the way as well. aloha cuzzn :)

very nice man just checked it out. maui is so diverse in micro climates. i read you were in iao for those? they grew beautifully. im in lahaina. closer to the ocean, but not far from the base of kahoma valley. freakishly hot during summer tho and we get these freak gusts of wind once in a while that funnels through the valley. spells of humidity and rain..you know the deal in maui..very unpredictable but ive got a nice spot on the porch right now for a few plants that gets some good sun. my girlfriend's dad from philippines plants eggplants n okra, some vine veggies, gave him an autoflower seed to try as well. he used to work for HC&S and knew guys that grew in the cane fields. id really love to keep everything outside. will have to see how they fare. ive read sativas generally fare much better outdoors here..got some other seeds on the way as well. aloha cuzzn :)
Thanks, those were up Kehalani. It is hot and dry like the west side. Friends grow primo out of lahaina, look for a sativa dom cross, they handle the heat. You really don't need to supplement light, plenty that. Buggas grow fast, if you don't want too big, cut veg time. There is a short season now. Shoot for a summer grow, the plants in the journal were started on Aug 1. Mid July is the soonest I would start a photo if you want for the porch. Aloha

Back
Top Bottom