AngryBird's Perpetual Organic Garden, T8 Lights, Homemade Food

Emilya, thanks for this good info. I've watered my plants with my expensive delivered water. 4 of the plants are in the last few weeks and I know it's time to start flushing. Can I use the tap water (with high PH) to do that? I hate to waste the bottled water because it's just going down the drain during flush.

the rule i used, and not sure if it really mattered, was that the first and last gallon of my flush was done with correctly adjusted water. The rest of it came right out of the waterpic showerhead in the tub, and went right down the drain.

Some people with high pH water get by with watering with their high pH water one time, and then mixing it with their nutes the next time... and the balance between the two extremes, without extra adjustment, just happens to balance out into the proper pH range in their containers.
That's me! lol. I grow in a peatmoss based promix and use RO water with 7.0 ph. I bring my ph down with synthetic nutes then back up with the RO water. I figured it out a few years ago after learning about ph and messing around with a ph pen to see what's what. Now i can look at my plants and know what direction the ph needs to go. Learning is fun!

Hello AB :thumb: your girls are looking very good !!! Sorry we took so long to drop by just had a bit going on and trying to pop in on as many as we can but, we will be keeping up best we can. Good info here for sure, we enjoy learning new things so keep the info coming :circle-of-love:
No probs you came now :)

hey birdie, girls are happening eh.

don't sweat the PH so hard with soil. it is very forgiving of things. tends to act like a natural filter for the plants. running soil, I don't PH at all, and my water runs 7.5-8 at the best of times. overthinking will do more damage than good.

have fun eh
It is scary since the other seeds haven't shown..that is why I wonder about PH and soil too.. maybe it is too high.

and the other side of the argument is that pH can be very critical, and it depends entirely on the line of nutes that you choose to use. Most people who run synthetic nutes and who do not adjust pH, have trouble. It makes no sense to spend money on nutes and then not use them correctly and let most of it run out into the drip tray. Some nutes work just fine with bad water... generally these are expensive nutes designed with buffering agents in them. Some people with high pH water get by with watering with their high pH water one time, and then mixing it with their nutes the next time... and the balance between the two extremes, without extra adjustment, just happens to balance out into the proper pH range in their containers. These are very lucky people and mother nature is looking out for them.. but in the final analysis, they also adjusted their pH... they just didn't realize it. Sometimes overthinking does a whole lot of good... and sometimes ignorance is bliss... it all depends on your perspective.

That's me! lol. I grow in a peatmoss based promix and use RO water with 7.0 ph. I bring my ph down with synthetic nutes then back up with the RO water. I figured it out a few years ago after learning about ph and messing around with a ph pen to see what's what. Now i can look at my plants and know what direction the ph needs to go. Learning is fun!

Thanks for input from all of you I trynot to hink too much..but knowing soil has 7-7.5 PH and water is 8.. you know you are not soo goood here...

ignorance is bliss??? wtf a wee bit argumentative?

well I will turn the other cheek and walk away.

good luck on your grow here,

and have fun eh
unforgiven... no one intended to offend you.. please don't feel bad.

KHCO3

Carbon is not a problem in the soil food web, in fact it's a very necessary energy source. Many forms of micro biology use ingested carbon. Plants excrete carbonate compounds (root exudates) in order to attract and support certain types of biology in the rhizosphere.

With that in mind, plus the added K, you can see why Potassium Bicarbonate is an attractive PH up.

I've never had an issue using phosphoric acid as a PH down.

Speaking of acids and catalysts, some greens like spinach need additional acids (dressing with vinegar or citrus acid) for us to make the iron available when eating them.

:circle-of-love:

+ reps for all of you

and the other side of the argument is that pH can be very critical, and it depends entirely on the line of nutes that you choose to use. Most people who run synthetic nutes and who do not adjust pH, have trouble. It makes no sense to spend money on nutes and then not use them correctly and let most of it run out into the drip tray. Some nutes work just fine with bad water... generally these are expensive nutes designed with buffering agents in them. Some people with high pH water get by with watering with their high pH water one time, and then mixing it with their nutes the next time... and the balance between the two extremes, without extra adjustment, just happens to balance out into the proper pH range in their containers. These are very lucky people and mother nature is looking out for them.. but in the final analysis, they also adjusted their pH... they just didn't realize it. Sometimes overthinking does a whole lot of good... and sometimes ignorance is bliss... it all depends on your perspective.

Great points! :welldone:

Regarding the nutes & PH, a lot can also depend on chelation, if any and what types.

Morning birdy :) hope all is well in your world and your girls are doing well. Always nice to have new babies in the house :)

HI Arctic :welcome:
Thank you for stopping by. I still only have 2 of 7 and I am getting sad for the other seeds that didn't pop...

Hello AngryBird, I love organic growing and like what I see here, so you got a new subscriber, like the info regarding natural pest control, great. I have a few questions to ask. What soil are you using. It looks very rich so I suppose a compost from leftovers. How big are your pots? Do you consider putting few worms into your pots and feeding them crushed leftovers? The worms aerates the soil and produce manure.
I like your journal so far, so keep up the good work. And do not worry everything is gonna be alright.

Hello AngryBird, I love organic growing and like what I see here, so you got a new subscriber, like the info regarding natural pest control, great. I have a few questions to ask. What soil are you using. It looks very rich so I suppose a compost from leftovers. How big are your pots? Do you consider putting few worms into your pots and feeding them crushed leftovers? The worms aerates the soil and produce manure.
I like your journal so far, so keep up the good work. And do not worry everything is gonna be alright.
HI Tomula and :welcome: to my journal
Grab a seat.. light a :bong: or a :joint: or have a brownie. Feel yourself at home.
It is a test run. My soil is a bag I bought and some added things..coffee grounds and banana peels.
Thing is soil has high PH as is.. so coffee grounds lowers the PH.
My pots are at the moment only one. it is 35 cm diam. ( don't know in liters ) I have my Deep Cheese baby in there.
The Pineapple Chunk will be getting a big bag 20 liter or more...

I was thinking of worms but I wasn't sure you could actually put them in with the plants. I have another pot with soil and leftovers (peels etc) that I was thinking of putting them in.
If you want.. send me a PM of where in Europe you are. I am there too.

:thanks: for coming

I can happily see my babies are growing, but my other seeds are still a no show and I am sad about that.
It makes me worry and feel insecure to order any seeds.
Is it the soil??? The weather??? what?? 2 out of 7 seeds is a really BAAAAAAAAAAAD grow ratio.

I can happily see my babies are growing, but my other seeds are still a no show and I am sad about that.
It makes me worry and feel insecure to order any seeds.
Is it the soil??? The weather??? what?? 2 out of 7 seeds is a really BAAAAAAAAAAAD grow ratio.

That shouldnt happen with commercial seeds, but it does happen. I have had some really bad luck starting seeds lately too. I have traced it down to my method, and one batch of immature seeds. I have recently killed my seedlings via low pH in two unique ways... first using jiffy plugs not started with pH adjusted water, and second, trying to start them in little miniscule mini solo cup containers that looked real cute, but ended up amplifying the acidity of the soil I was using because of the small container. If it makes you feel better, my last attempt at some very expensive seeds yielded 2 out of 10, and the survivors are right now being featured in my journal:
Emmie's Breeder's Run - Chemdog IBL BP#6 x Blowfish F2 By Santero

That shouldnt happen with commercial seeds, but it does happen. I have had some really bad luck starting seeds lately too. I have traced it down to my method, and one batch of immature seeds. I have recently killed my seedlings via low pH in two unique ways... first using jiffy plugs not started with pH adjusted water, and second, trying to start them in little miniscule mini solo cup containers that looked real cute, but ended up amplifying the acidity of the soil I was using because of the small container. If it makes you feel better, my last attempt at some very expensive seeds yielded 2 out of 10, and the survivors are right now being featured in my journal:
Emmie's Breeder's Run - Chemdog IBL BP#6 x Blowfish F2 By Santero

Well thank you, but it makes me more sad... since I was thinking of the solo cups and
the soil together with the PH.
I thought it would be ok since soil had high PH as i was... I don't know..
Just I feel I can't order seeds just yet I don't have the experience or the money to do that.
I just feel such a loooooooooooooooooooser at the moment....

Page 8, but I'm here for the show. Some fantastic discussion, information, and opinions being dropped here.

:passitleft:

:welcome: and thank you for joining,, I am a bit down today... but no worries...

Well thank you, but it makes me more sad... since I was thinking of the solo cups and
the soil together with the PH.
I thought it would be ok since soil had high PH as i was... I don't know..
Just I feel I can't order seeds just yet I don't have the experience or the money to do that.
I just feel such a loooooooooooooooooooser at the moment....
You, my dear, are far from a loser. In the small amount of time you have been here, you have made many people's days by your bubbly personality, the info you have for the natural way to do things, and come on, the BBQ recipe?

You are a fantastic person who I would never call a loser.

Have a great day, it'll all come together when the time is right.

You, my dear, are far from a loser. In the small amount of time you have been here, you have made many people's days by your bubbly personality, the info you have for the natural way to do things, and come on, the BBQ recipe?

You are a fantastic person who I would never call a loser.

Have a great day, it'll all come together when the time is right.

:love:

As for the ph, first grow I used 7,0 tapwater without an issue, my friend now has 7,4 rainwater and the drain from soil is 7,1. That left spots on lower leaves, so he used nitric acid to get the water to 6,5 and no more spots have appeared so far. As for the seeds I've done only 4 with 100% success. Even 2 years old seeds from fridge were good. But that depends. When I sprout hemp seeds to eat, it takes some of them up to 5 day just to crack a bit, I put them in water and then moisten 2 times a day (a bunch of them). I do not put it in water when I want to put one in soil, but instead use 2 circular cotton pads for make up removal or whatever. Stick them in dark place add bit of water to keep them moist. Then into small rockwool cube root down and under light. After the root gets through then it goes straight to the big pot. I used seeds from Natural Seeds which are from local seedbank with great prices- feminised, 6 for 16 dollars. I dunno if this helps but I hope it does.

Back
Top Bottom