AngryBird's Perpetual Organic Garden, T8 Lights, Homemade Food

Yes I always liked to spread my wings to fly around and learn new things.
People here are absolutely beautiful and I try to shine back :)

Thank you for coming to my 1st grow. :welcome: grab a pillow or sit in the sofa.. make yourself at home.
and I was thinking about lemons. I have been doing research on many things for the past 4 months trying to see what I can adapt to cannabis growing.
So You are from the land down under?? edit: saw your journal NZ ee :)) nice!!
I didn't know baking soda would lower anything.. so :thanks: for teaching me something new

Your baby is looking great, Birdie! :welldone:

FYI...the lemons (acid) will lower your PH and the baking soda (base) will raise the PH. Vinegar (acid) can also be used to lower PH. :Namaste:

Yes I always liked to spread my wings to fly around and learn new things.
People here are absolutely beautiful and I try to shine back :)

Thank you for coming to my 1st grow. :welcome: grab a pillow or sit in the sofa.. make yourself at home.
and I was thinking about lemons. I have been doing research on many things for the past 4 months trying to see what I can adapt to cannabis growing.
So You are from the land down under?? edit: saw your journal NZ ee :)) nice!!
I didn't know baking soda would lower anything.. so :thanks: for teaching me something new

Born in Australia. My Grandmother is native to New Zealand and both my parents were born there. As were at least 4 generations before my father on his side of the gene pool. On my mums side like I said my grandmother is native so that goes back quite a few generations.

Just to reiterate the baking soda is for ph up!

Just as a matter of interest I'm wondering what people think in regards to using Potassium Bicarbonate as a PH up instead of the Bicarbonate of Soda? I remember reading about the salts in BoS last year when I was doing a chemical grow and opting for PB instead, it may offer an alternative option and is pretty cheap too for how long it lasts.

Congratulations on your babies AngryBird, you're on your way to buds :)

Just as a matter of interest I'm wondering what people think in regards to using Potassium Bicarbonate as a PH up instead of the Bicarbonate of Soda? I remember reading about the salts in BoS last year when I was doing a chemical grow and opting for PB instead, it may offer an alternative option and is pretty cheap too for how long it lasts.

It would work great... a source of K! Here is the problem. To mix it up and have it break down, you are going to have to boil it.

Decomposition of the bicarbonate occurs between 100 and 120 °C (212 and 248 °F):

2 KHCO3 → K2CO3 + CO2 + H2O

Thanks Emilya, I was hoping for an answer with some scientific backing. I don't PH any more but I threw it out there as a possible alternative, I do boil water to add my Black Treacle and Molasses sugar though so it's good to know that I could always throw some into the mix if necessary. Thanks again :thumb:

Thanks Emilya, I was hoping for an answer with some scientific backing. I don't PH any more but I threw it out there as a possible alternative, I do boil water to add my Black Treacle and Molasses sugar though so it's good to know that I could always throw some into the mix if necessary. Thanks again :thumb:

I can see it being used in soil as a long term solution to acidic soil, but not in adjusting the pH of room temperature mixes... it would work, but then it would just sit there in the soil in that strong bond, not going anywhere and not adding to the grow other than to raise the soil pH. It's just not the best solution and you would get very little benefit from the K locked in that strong CO3 bond.

I can see it being used in soil as a long term solution to acidic soil, but not in adjusting the pH of room temperature mixes... it would work, but then it would just sit there in the soil in that strong bond, not going anywhere and not adding to the grow other than to raise the soil pH. It's just not the best solution and you would get very little benefit from the K locked in that strong CO3 bond.

Ok, I sort of see what you mean but as most soils tend to become acidic over time (from what I have read/misread) due to the nature of peat moss and acidic feedings etc would that not be a good thing, or am I completely off kilter here?

Ok, I sort of see what you mean but as most soils tend to become acidic over time (from what I have read/misread) due to the nature of peat moss and acidic feedings etc would that not be a good thing, or am I completely off kilter here?
I don't see why it couldn't be included in a soil mix that was designed to be used long term, considering it to be a slow release buffer to supplement the dolomite, oyster shell and other buffering agents that are added as a rule to these soils... but I am new to this soil building thing too and don't know near as much as I think I do. I read that it is approved for organic gardening use and it looks like something a farmer would apply to an acidic field as a fix to a problem, but my limited chemistry knowledge only takes me so far in my understanding of how you would use this in the real world, especially with weeds. I would ask this question in one of the soil building threads and get one of the real experts to answer instead of a fly by the seat of her pants and slightly insane natural farmer witchy woman like myself. :)

H2SO4 ... two hydrogen atoms, one sulphur atom and 4 oxygen atoms... nothing in there that can harm you or the plants. You are not using it in a strength that is caustic, all it is, is a bit acidic by the time you cut it down to 15:1.

Let's look at common vinegar as a comparison and ask how it can be a healthy choice. It is known to chemists as Acetic Acid, CH3COOH, and again breaking it down we find one carbon atom, 4 hydrogen atoms and 2 oxygen atoms... broken down it won't harm a thing... Acetic Acid in its pure form is actually pretty ugly.

The point is that all of these compounds break down as soon as they begin interacting with other things and eventually sort out into their base components. It is very possible to add things to your soil that break down into harmful elements, things you would not want to have in your smoke or your body. The acids we have been discussing are not those things... they are considered to be catalysts that break apart other compounds, but in themselves, especially in the dilutions that we are talking about, they are harmless to you, your plants and to the microlife living in your soil.

Lastly, let me give you this example... Coke has a pH of 2.252... quite acidic actually... you can feel the burn as you drink it. Battery acid has a pH of 1.0, not too far away from Coke, and yet you still drink that stuff. Let me repeat your question, how can THIS be a healthy choice?
Thank you for helping me with this. I always know you will explain WHY something is not a good choice :circle-of-love:
I will tell the Coca Cola part to my hubby... since he drinks a lot of it :)

Your baby is looking great, Birdie! :welldone:

FYI...the lemons (acid) will lower your PH and the baking soda (base) will raise the PH. Vinegar (acid) can also be used to lower PH. :Namaste:

Thank you for the clearing out. :thanks:

Born in Australia. My Grandmother is native to New Zealand and both my parents were born there. As were at least 4 generations before my father on his side of the gene pool. On my mums side like I said my grandmother is native so that goes back quite a few generations.

Just to reiterate the baking soda is for ph up!

I have always been fascinated with Australian Natives. and Now I need to read about NZ and their natives. Anyone living WITH nature has my FULL attention :circle-of-love:

Thank you I am a bit nervous as this is as far as I have come EVER!!

It would work great... a source of K! Here is the problem. To mix it up and have it break down, you are going to have to boil it.

Decomposition of the bicarbonate occurs between 100 and 120 °C (212 and 248 °F):

2 KHCO3 → K2CO3 + CO2 + H2O

I don't see why it couldn't be included in a soil mix that was designed to be used long term, considering it to be a slow release buffer to supplement the dolomite, oyster shell and other buffering agents that are added as a rule to these soils... but I am new to this soil building thing too and don't know near as much as I think I do. I read that it is approved for organic gardening use and it looks like something a farmer would apply to an acidic field as a fix to a problem, but my limited chemistry knowledge only takes me so far in my understanding of how you would use this in the real world, especially with weeds. I would ask this question in one of the soil building threads and get one of the real experts to answer instead of a fly by the seat of her pants and slightly insane natural farmer witchy woman like myself. :)
SO one question Em... using it in soil with lower PH ( say you don't have good soil handy..and you mix it up as emergency soil.
It doesn't harm the plants right? You just don't get the K benefits?
( Did I get it correctly?)

HEADS UP 2/8-2016

Babies are stretching up a bit so I supported stem with some soil. Still no new babies from the other 4 seeds, but I know it can take time.
I told myself ..wait until 8th of August.. THEN worry!

My banana peel Ferment is ready. What is it good for ...you might ask...well :
For bigger blooms and healthier plants, use fermented banana peels in your garden.

Here is how :

How do you ferment banana peels?
Put your peels in a mason jar, and cover with enough water so they’re submerged. You’ll want to put some sort of weight on the peels so they remain under the water.
Cover with cloth and rubber band or a loosely fitting top.
Let the mixture sit for a week while the good bacteria does its job and unlocks the nutrients in the peel.
If you see a cloudy must, that’s ok. If you start to see black mold, you’ll have to throw it away and start again.
As long as the peels are below the surface of the water, you’re probably okay. Let your nose and your judgement be your guide.
After a week, put the peels in a blender and puree (save the water for other plants).
Side dress your blossoming plants with the puree, being sure to incorporate it into the soil gently so it doesn’t attract unwanted critters like squirrels and raccoons.
If they’re a particular concern, dilute the puree in water to help it distribute into the ground better.

That is it for today as of update. I will be swooping over some journals to say hi :)

Welcome deep and cheesy little one. :love:

AngryBird said:
Deep Cheese welcome to the world !!!!
DeepCheese_1-8.png

...I have always been fascinated with Australian Natives. and Now I need to read about NZ and their natives. Anyone living WITH nature has my FULL attention :circle-of-love:

The history of my people (Maori) is one that's definitely interesting. We originated in Hawaii. Migrated south west to New Zealand. Revered for their advanced seafaring technology. They didn't use you're average canoe. It was comparable to a Catamaran yacht in it's design. My ancestor Hoturoa is the equivalent to the Captain of the May flower. He was the first to bring Maori to New Zealand. I stem from three main tribes. My family has land in the sounds that has never been built on by modern man. Is about as real as nature gets down there. Just thought I'd share a wee bit of info with ya! :)

Welcome deep and cheesy little one. :love:
:circle-of-love: Thank you!!
She had a bit of a heat stroke yesterday.. I noticed she was looking down so she got extra water and I opened the "door" so she got extra air. Now all is good again.
There is one thing I need to look into.. The leaves seems to be green-blackish.. no black spot or edges.. over all black ish... Looks like a N overdose.. so i need to be careful...

Hey there bird!
Hi Canna :love: Thanks for dropping by
The history of my people (Maori) is one that's definitely interesting. We originated in Hawaii. Migrated south west to New Zealand. Revered for their advanced seafaring technology. They didn't use you're average canoe. It was comparable to a Catamaran yacht in it's design. My ancestor Hoturoa is the equivalent to the Captain of the May flower. He was the first to bring Maori to New Zealand. I stem from three main tribes. My family has land in the sounds that has never been built on by modern man. Is about as real as nature gets down there. Just thought I'd share a wee bit of info with ya! :)

Mahalo nui loa:thanks: that would be the Tainui canoe? I read up on your ancestor. You must be so proud!!
Your land... sounds just like the place I want for me and my family ! Never built by man. WOW!!!! If you ever take pics.. I would love to see them.
And also you make honey.. It must be a real therapeutic one :)

:circle-of-love: Thank you!!
She had a bit of a heat stroke yesterday.. I noticed she was looking down so she got extra water and I opened the "door" so she got extra air. Now all is good again.
There is one thing I need to look into.. The leaves seems to be green-blackish.. no black spot or edges.. over all black ish... Looks like a N overdose.. so i need to be careful...

Hi Canna :love: Thanks for dropping by

Mahalo nui loa:thanks: that would be the Tainui canoe? I read up on your ancestor. You must be so proud!!
Your land... sounds just like the place I want for me and my family ! Never built by man. WOW!!!! If you ever take pics.. I would love to see them.
And also you make honey.. It must be a real therapeutic one :)

Tēnā koe e hoa:high-five:

I have a lot to be proud of in regard to my ancestry. Many men who did things that still echo today. Many women strong and spirited whose descendants make sure to continue that quitet ferocity beneath there gorgeous polynesian smiles ;) The most well know of Hakas the Kamate Kamate was created by my ancestor Te Rauparaha. My middle name is Tamihana. The man responsible for uniting the tribes of New Zealand to acknowledge a Maori King. During the invasion of the colonials. Awesome to have that connection with you Angrybird. I'll be sure to share some photos from our paradise :)

Tēnā koe e hoa:high-five:

I have a lot to be proud of in regard to my ancestry. Many men who did things that still echo today. Many women strong and spirited whose descendants make sure to continue that quitet ferocity beneath there gorgeous polynesian smiles ;) The most well know of Hakas the Kamate Kamate was created by my ancestor Te Rauparaha. My middle name is Tamihana. The man responsible for uniting the tribes of New Zealand to acknowledge a Maori King. During the invasion of the colonials. Awesome to have that connection with you Angrybird. I'll be sure to share some photos from our paradise :)

Wow, You have a strong middle name. Must be hard to live up to these days, but I am sure you make it.
I have always been a supporter of Natives anywhere. And this is so amazing.. I came to 420 because I liked the spirits I sensed here and ended up learning about NZ Natives and from a TOP man too.
This is truly amazing. Also i am grateful for getting to know you and hope to be learning a lot from you.

Got a little catch up to do... Subbed in here now :)

This is a great place for learning. What I love most is how those who have experience share it without bias or inflated ego's. I can be direct in delivering my information just due to my nature and influence from working in a scientific field. Secondly because I don't like to beat around the bush. With that said I'm the first to admit when someone has a more effective/efficient method or process. I was lucky to have the decade of mentorship that I was gifted by second generation dutch growers in the outback of Australia. Ideal sativa climate. Very close to the equator. But back to the point. I'm more than happy to answer any and all question you have. If I don't know I won't be shy in telling you. I just read your pm I'll try get back to you as soon as possible :) Hope you're having an awesome day! Ka kite anō

Back
Top Bottom