AngryBird's Perpetual Organic Garden, T8 Lights, Homemade Food

2nd CBD Nordle and the auto Blow Mind has not cracked yet ... How long shall I wait?? They were 1st soaked in water for more than 12 hrs and then in wet paper towel since 27th July... :circle-of-love:

When you soaked the seeds, did they sink to the bottom?

I usually will soak them until they sprout a taproot and then put in Rapid Rooter cubes, but even if you don't wait for the taproot, the seeds will initially float and, if they're viable, usually they will sink to the bottom within about 24 hours (sometimes you need to push them down for them to sink!).

If it's a dead seed, typically it will stay floating on the top and not sink.

:thanks: unforgiven for keeping an eye open in my journal

I usually will soak them until they sprout a taproot and then put in Rapid Rooter cubes, but even if you don't wait for the taproot, the seeds will initially float and, if they're viable, usually they will sink to the bottom within about 24 hours (sometimes you need to push them down for them to sink!).

Hi Mr.Krip :thanks: for reading my posts
Thanks for input, and yes they all sank. I read somewhere that if they don't sink they are "empty".

:thanks: unforgiven for keeping an eye open in my journal

Hi Mr.Krip :thanks: for reading my posts
Thanks for input, and yes they all sank. I read somewhere that if they don't sink they are "empty".

Great! :welldone:
Then, with some time, I'm sure they'll sprout for you! :goodluck:

HEADS UP 31/7-2016

My pineapple Chunk that was born yesterday:
:love:

DSC_012027.jpg

And I just finished making molasses out of banana peels.

1. cut to small pieces
2. Dry in Sun / cover with paper for flies until all are almost black( you can dry on low settings in oven too)
3. I fry them to make them black and dry
4. Cool of ( place on paper for a day if you feel moist)
5. Blender to make small pieces.

What is this good for?? you might ask yourselves...well...:

This is what banana peel gives to your plants:

Potassium – helps promote general plant vigor; helps build up resistance to pest and disease; necessary in fruit development; is involved in regulating around 50 enzymes in a plant and relates to the oprightness of stems and the thickness of cell walls i.e. plant strength!
This is extremely important for plants like stag-horns which literally hang onto tree trunks in nature and vertical veggies like shallots, leeks and fruiting crops. 42% when dried

Phosphorus – strongly influences fruiting and flowering; is essential for good root and shoot growth; pollination; and is very important in seed germination and viability.

Calcium – the most important mineral in the soil and known as the ‘Trucker of all minerals;’ is the ‘ingredient’ of cell walls concerned with root development and growing stem points and helps ‘open up’ soil to allow more oxygen.
Manganese
Sodium
Magnesium
Sulfur

Don't forget..Aphids HATE bananas!!

I can't believe it took me this long to get here!! I'm glad I'm here now! You will be one of my "go to" people if we come into pests. I want to go as organic as possible for that issue. Your vast knowledge of E/O is pure awesomeness! Thank you!

:welcome:
:circle-of-love: Thank you for Coming Canna nice to have you here. I will gladly help if I can. :thanks:

Oh Angry Bird, you're going to become a go-to for all the stuff that makes Emmie's blood zip faster too. Lol! The two of you should be a very nice match. Maybe you should think about a partnered thread in the future? Like you're both not already overstretched, huh? :laughtwo:

Welcome little one. :love:

DSC_012027.jpg

Oh Angry Bird, you're going to become a go-to for all the stuff that makes Emmie's blood zip faster too. Lol! The two of you should be a very nice match. Maybe you should think about a partnered thread in the future? Like you're both not already overstretched, huh? :laughtwo:

Welcome little one. :love:

DSC_012027.jpg
Hi and thank you Sue
Love.gif
I have tried many things in my garden for years (I don't have a garden anymore) So I thought..why not adapt to cannabis grows?!
My back yard is not a soil/grass ground..it is all cement/marble so it is all in pots.
And the good things about oils and the other pest controls is:
if you have a little glass / jar or other container ( size depends on your grow) of essential oil next to plant.. it will repel the critters and it doesn't harm a healthy plant.
And if you want to apply on plant it is just a little oil with water and pad on leaves or use spray bottle
If I was in the same country.. I would team up with em in no time if she would have me :)
You would be a perfect partner for my Sweet Sue Canna Treatment Center :circle-of-love:

:ciao: looks like I got here just in time. Loads of good info here already. :passitleft:
Hi and :welcome: to my journal Thank you for coming. Grab a pillow and hang out with the rest of the gang :rollit:

Hi AngryBird :circle-of-love:

Here's the seed talk I was meaning to jump into! Got distracted earlier and lost it.

My method is 12-24hr soak until they sink, then paper towel in a baggie on top of the router. Usually in 24-48hrs I get 80%+ germ. A few stragglers over the next couple days sometimes.

Mr. Krip - Do you just place the seed into cube hole, or do you cover it with something?

Here's the seed talk I was meaning to jump into! Got distracted earlier and lost it.

My method is 12-24hr soak until they sink, then paper towel in a baggie on top of the router. Usually in 24-48hrs I get 80%+ germ. A few stragglers over the next couple days sometimes.

Mr. Krip - Do you just place the seed into cube hole, or do you cover it with something?

In the hole, taproot down, and cover the hole with pieces I break off the end of the cube.

In the hole, taproot down, and cover the hole with pieces I break off the end of the cube.

Hi and thank you for info.
I tried to answer earlier but it was not "my day" internet was off and pc messed...now finallyI can write:)

HEADS UP 1/8-2016

We have a new birth !! :love:
Deep Cheese welcome to the world !!!!
DeepCheese_1-8.png

She was the only seed that was placed in water for less than 12 hrs and then straight to soil in the same day. (27/7-26)
She is placed in a big pot and it is not necessary to re-pot later.

We had to mover into my hidden tent since nosy neighbors stated wondering...
:circle-of-love:

Well it seems you are chirping around the a lot of the journals I am following so I thought I'd come check out what you have going on. First and foremost even though I'm a wee bit late. :welcome::cheer::welcome: It would seem you have some great support and resources so far.

A couple of tips in regards to pH up and pH down. The two most common and most reliable home products are Lemons and Baking Soda. In a 5 gallon bucket of water; Approximately 10 drops of lemon juice will drop your pH from 7.5 to 6. Baking soda will bump your pH 0.5 for every teaspoon you use.

Lemons tend to be marginally cheaper than Limes. Lemons have slightly more citric acid and more sugar. Limes have more calcium and phosphorous than Lemons. So I tend to go with Lemons.

Cheers mate if you have any questions at all feel free to shoot them at me. I like to help where ever I can :)

Well it seems you are chirping around the a lot of the journals I am following so I thought I'd come check out what you have going on. First and foremost even though I'm a wee bit late. :welcome::cheer::welcome: It would seem you have some great support and resources so far.

A couple of tips in regards to pH up and pH down. The two most common and most reliable home products are Lemons and Baking Soda. In a 5 gallon bucket of water; Approximately 10 drops of lemon juice will drop your pH from 7.5 to 6. Baking soda will bump your pH 0.5 for every teaspoon you use.

Lemons tend to be marginally cheaper than Limes. Lemons have slightly more citric acid and more sugar. Limes have more calcium and phosphorous than Lemons. So I tend to go with Lemons.

Cheers mate if you have any questions at all feel free to shoot them at me. I like to help where ever I can :)
Yes I always liked to spread my wings to fly around and learn new things.
People here are absolutely beautiful and I try to shine back :)

Thank you for coming to my 1st grow. :welcome: grab a pillow or sit in the sofa.. make yourself at home.
and I was thinking about lemons. I have been doing research on many things for the past 4 months trying to see what I can adapt to cannabis growing.
So You are from the land down under?? edit: saw your journal NZ ee :)) nice!!
I didn't know baking soda would lower anything.. so :thanks: for teaching me something new

I have to jump in with my 3c of opinion here... I am totally against using baking soda in our gardens. The reason is the chemical composition of baking soda, NaHCO3, meaning it's made of one sodium atom, one hydrogen atom, one carbon atom, and three oxygen atoms. The oxygen and hydrogen atoms are fine, but the carbon atom is added waste and the sodium atom is a problem. Build up too much sodium and the roots will shut down... plants do not like salt. We regularly flush salts out of our soil that are left over after our synthetic nutrients break down, but by all means, do what you can not to add any additional salts to the mix. The problem with baking soda is that it takes so much of it to move the pH back up after adding nutrients, that the added salt does become a problem over time.

A much better kitchen product to use as a pH up is pickling lime, Ca(OH)2 . It is very strong and doesn't take much to raise that pH back up to where it needs to be, and note that not only does it not have salt, but it has calcium, oxygen and hydrogen... all needed by the plants. The only problem is that at room temperature pickling lime is a little hard to get mixed into the solution and you have to be patient with it... a little goes a long ways.

I found toward the end of my synthetic phase of growing that it was easier to use lye as my pH up, which you can get behind the counter at any hardware store. Again, a little goes a long way, but it is also a salt... it is just doesn't have the extra carbon atom to add extra waste to the soil and you use so little of it that the salt isn't much of a problem.

As far as pH down, lemon juice works, but it takes a lot of it to get good pH movement, and as it breaks down it attracts bugs to your soil. I needed a clean and cheap pH down, and I found it with battery acid, H2SO4. I would have preferred to use phosphoric acid, but it is a little exciting doing that chemical reaction at home and it is a bit expensive to buy.... but look at the chemicals in sulphuric acid... 2xHydrogen, 1xSuphur and 4xOxygen. This is all useful to the plant, with no waste! To safely use battery acid, just buy a $6 box at your local auto parts store, and a gallon of distilled water. Take out one cup of the distilled water and replace it slowly with one cup of battery acid. You now have a 15:1 water/acid mix that closely approximates the acid content of the popular pH down product at the hydro stores.... and you just made enough to last for a year, for pennies.

I have to jump in with my 3c of opinion here... I am totally against using baking soda in our gardens. The reason is the chemical composition of baking soda, NaHCO3, meaning it's made of one sodium atom, one hydrogen atom, one carbon atom, and three oxygen atoms. The oxygen and hydrogen atoms are fine, but the carbon atom is added waste and the sodium atom is a problem. Build up too much sodium and the roots will shut down... plants do not like salt. We regularly flush salts out of our soil that are left over after our synthetic nutrients break down, but by all means, do what you can not to add any additional salts to the mix. The problem with baking soda is that it takes so much of it to move the pH back up after adding nutrients, that the added salt does become a problem over time.

A much better kitchen product to use as a pH up is pickling lime, Ca(OH)2 . It is very strong and doesn't take much to raise that pH back up to where it needs to be, and note that not only does it not have salt, but it has calcium, oxygen and hydrogen... all needed by the plants. The only problem is that at room temperature pickling lime is a little hard to get mixed into the solution and you have to be patient with it... a little goes a long ways.

I found toward the end of my synthetic phase of growing that it was easier to use lye as my pH up, which you can get behind the counter at any hardware store. Again, a little goes a long way, but it is also a salt... it is just doesn't have the extra carbon atom to add extra waste to the soil and you use so little of it that the salt isn't much of a problem.

As far as pH down, lemon juice works, but it takes a lot of it to get good pH movement, and as it breaks down it attracts bugs to your soil. I needed a clean and cheap pH down, and I found it with battery acid, H2SO4. I would have preferred to use phosphoric acid, but it is a little exciting doing that chemical reaction at home and it is a bit expensive to buy.... but look at the chemicals in sulphuric acid... 2xHydrogen, 1xSuphur and 4xOxygen. This is all useful to the plant, with no waste! To safely use battery acid, just buy a $6 box at your local auto parts store, and a gallon of distilled water. Take out one cup of the distilled water and replace it slowly with one cup of battery acid. You now have a 15:1 water/acid mix that closely approximates the acid content of the popular pH down product at the hydro stores.... and you just made enough to last for a year, for pennies.

:thanks: I will read this over and over :) but how can the battery acid + distilled be a healthy choice?

H2SO4 ... two hydrogen atoms, one sulphur atom and 4 oxygen atoms... nothing in there that can harm you or the plants. You are not using it in a strength that is caustic, all it is, is a bit acidic by the time you cut it down to 15:1.

Let's look at common vinegar as a comparison and ask how it can be a healthy choice. It is known to chemists as Acetic Acid, CH3COOH, and again breaking it down we find one carbon atom, 4 hydrogen atoms and 2 oxygen atoms... broken down it won't harm a thing... Acetic Acid in its pure form is actually pretty ugly.

The point is that all of these compounds break down as soon as they begin interacting with other things and eventually sort out into their base components. It is very possible to add things to your soil that break down into harmful elements, things you would not want to have in your smoke or your body. The acids we have been discussing are not those things... they are considered to be catalysts that break apart other compounds, but in themselves, especially in the dilutions that we are talking about, they are harmless to you, your plants and to the microlife living in your soil.

Lastly, let me give you this example... Coke has a pH of 2.252... quite acidic actually... you can feel the burn as you drink it. Battery acid has a pH of 1.0, not too far away from Coke, and yet you still drink that stuff. Let me repeat your question, how can THIS be a healthy choice?

Back
Top Bottom