Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

re: Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

well, having repaired my broken LED, I'm keen to see your results too.

I'll be following your grow as well. Your last grow had an insane yield with some massive colas.

I just read through the 22 pages of your last grow... definitely looking forward to seeing what you can do with the LED

Me too brother. I did good with CFLs, so I'm hoping I can grow well with the LED as well.

I thought I'd pop by & see how you're doing buddy. I'll catch up later & see what I've missed :)

Here's what you missed: grow journal outline. A few pictures of stuff. Picture of seeding with damaged cotelydon (I assume from the LED) and LED now off and using CFLs for seedling phase.

On my last journal (2nd grow) Power Flower yielded 30.82 grams, Cali Jack yielded 58.65 grams. CFL grow from seed to harvest.

So my goal for this grow is to beat my yield from 2 plants grown under 350+ watts of CFL, with an LED, on one plant. So I'll need to yield 3.15 ounces on this grow to meet my goal.

Great summary :) Shame about the damaged cotelydon & I think choosing cfl for seedlings is a wise choice. They seem to do better under them than LED when they're babies

Antics, how are the girls doing?

Antics, how are the girls doing?
Well for this grow it's just going to be one girl. And so far she's going through some intensive care now.
We had some slowed growth for a few days, the cotelydon damage, the tips of her real leaves show some damage as well.
And it's really not the worst, or slowest I've seen, but much slower than normal. I'll get some pictures in a little bit to show her progress. Last I checked yesterday she's looking better, and is showing some faster growth, so I'm just taking it day by day until we're out of the woods, so to speak.
And damn.. those LEDs are intense. Definitely not suggested for seedlings as others have stated.

I came across this and said - "Hey - that's the dude that helped me out with AC questions"

I'm in :)

Welcome to the party! After I get over this little hump with her recovering from LED shock, we should have a pretty cool grow going on :)

And here are current pictures as of 20 minutes ago:

2014-09-25_09-46-19_848.jpg
2014-09-25_09-46-34_347.jpg

I think the fairly slow growth is pretty obvious. So I'm taking it slow right now while she recovers a bit.

good move on taking it slow :) I'm sure she'll perk back up in no time with your gentle hand to guide her. looking good Ants ;)
-Strangler out :laughtwo:

Oh wow, I wasn't aware of the LED light intesity either, its good too know. Not too worry Antics, they are soo versatile buddy they will bounce back in no time.

good move on taking it slow :) I'm sure she'll perk back up in no time with your gentle hand to guide her. looking good Ants ;)
-Strangler out :laughtwo:

Slow and simple seems to work for me, that way I don't make any stupid "Hey guys watch this!" decisions lol.

Perfect gentle lighting for recovery. She'll do well!

She better do well now, I almost thought I killed it lol.

poor wee girl she looks cold lol

72-74F 22-23C. If she's cold she can put on a sweater :)

Interesting didn't know Led lights could cause a reaction like that to a seedling.

I did. And I tried it anyways! A few people told me about LEDs with seedlings, so I set my light to 24", and had my CFL also running just above the seedling, I figured the LED would add ambient lighting, while the CFL blocked intense direct light. I was way wrong.

Oh wow, I wasn't aware of the LED light intesity either, its good too know. Not too worry Antics, they are soo versatile buddy they will bounce back in no time.

See my answer above lol. I was worried for a bit man, she was probably pretty close to death. Buuuut so far it looks like we might still see a nice harvest if I keep her on the CFLs for another week or two.

wait, what? an LED did that? christ

Yes sir. See the above 2 replies. I'm using this LED from TopLED: https://www.topledgrowlight.com/led-grow-light-100x3w.html#.VCSkLRZBp58 (Link provided so nobody has to flip back to page 1) 100x3 watt. LED was 24" above the seedling too. The tips of both of her adult leaves are almost black. I tried to get a good picture of the tips, but my camera kept focusing on the soil every time. I'll give it another shot tomorrow and try playing with the zoom a bit to show you all what exactly they look like.

I wish I had some bag seed right now. I'd love to experiment with LED heights and young seedlings.

christ. my led is almost 2 feet above my seedlings and here was me thinkin about lowering it. ha! that ain't happening. is it a phone camera? on my phone if i tap the item i want to focus on, it focuses on it.

I heard that 18" /45cm is about the lowest they should go. But this can depend on the LED, the strain, and all those other things.

And yes, it's a phone camera, and I actually did try that, but I have a reallllly old phone. (Phone was released in 2011 lol) I do have an Android OS though! And it works for what I need. My girlfriend has one of those big digital cameras, Nikon or Canon.. can't remember which, with the big lenses and stuff, but I'd have no clue how to work it. Which is why I keep my old phone :)

Tapping my screen just refocuses hm but I think I had it on auto focus? Ill have to look some more into it tomorrow and see if I can figure out this phone lol

I heard that 18" /45cm is about the lowest they should go. But this can depend on the LED, the strain, and all those other things.

And yes, it's a phone camera, and I actually did try that, but I have a reallllly old phone. (Phone was released in 2011 lol) I do have an Android OS though! And it works for what I need. My girlfriend has one of those big digital cameras, Nikon or Canon.. can't remember which, with the big lenses and stuff, but I'd have no clue how to work it. Which is why I keep my old phone :)

Tapping my screen just refocuses hm but I think I had it on auto focus? Ill have to look some more into it tomorrow and see if I can figure out this phone lol

I've got cyanogenmod installed on mine and it has a different camera app.... i wonder if it's got a corresponding standalone version... hmmm .... and it does :) it's called 'oneplusone' and it doesn't work on my tablet, i just had a fiddle with it lol

Well I had a hard time getting the camera to focus. Even using zoom it would focus on the dirt.
I used one of my PH test cards held under the edge of the leaf to show the weird tip:

2014-09-26_11-38-34_584.jpg

Both leaves look like this. The new growth is perfectly fine, and looks normal.

Although the tip doesn't look as black as I thought, more dark green than anything. And the way the leaf looks, resembles new growth from a FIM, when you cut a leaf when it's starting out as new growth.

And now that I think about that, there was someone who posted a question, he was using LEDs, and it appeared that the LED had burned his plant in such a way, that it basically topped his plant, and he didn't do any cutting. I'm going to go look for that topic now, and will edit and add the link here when I find it.

Back
Top Bottom