Applegate's 1st Grow - Tangerine Dream & Jack Herer

LOL! I'm 5'5 in stocking feet but have shoes on in the picture so it's more like 5'6. If this keeps up pretty soon I'm going to feel like a wee person wondering in a terrarium.

:biglaugh:
And welcome to that day!

My oh my, my dear friend! :hug: im afraid you might be in trouble :hug:
:bitingnails:

My oh my, my dear friend! :hug: im afraid you might be in trouble :hug:
:bitingnails:

Oh yes...definitely trouble on the horizon! :oops:

I tied down the tops of the two amazon plants last night. I'm hoping it's early enough in flowering to do so. In any case, I'm playing the "It's my first grow" card to justify this lunacy!

Will you hold me while I cry a couple of weeks from now? :laugh:

Not much to report this week. The main crisis was in the chicken coop where one of my hens dropped all her feathers in a stunning three day molt. I'm used to seeing a naked bird in my frying pan but to see one running about is somewhat of a novelty.

In the garden I ended up tying down the main branches of everything but the fimmed Jack which hasn't been so vertically ambitious. The plants seemed to have tolerated the bondage well and while I doubt I'm done with stretch I think I have things under control.

It's 20 days into flower so let's call it three weeks. I had the timer failure that left the lights on for over 24 hours 5 days into the 12/12 cycle but it didn't seem to have too much impact. All the girls appear to be on their way.

k_December_11_2015_020.JPG
k_December_11_2015_019.JPG
k_December_11_2015_016.JPG
k_December_11_2015_014.JPG
k_December_11_2015_013.JPG
k_December_11_2015_012.JPG
k_December_11_2015_011.JPG
k_December_11_2015_010.JPG

So do you have babies vegging?

Alas, no. I don't have a separate light tight area set up in the grow room yet. And it's a shame too, because while I initially thought both the Tangerines were identical twins, one has emerged as an exceptionally special plant. You can see it in her bones and the smell...a bold tangy citrus with a layer of pine forest and a whiff of skunk. She would have made a great mother.

Day 68 from seed - 25 days into flower.

The major stretch is over - the girls continue to grow albeit slowly. I'm now finally confident that I'm not going to run into height problems. I can report that the natural girls (1 Tangerine & 1 Jack) that have had their tops bent are by far the most prolific with the flowers. The nodes are tighter and much more filled in. The fimmed Jack isn't shabby but the nodes are longer and I don't think they'll fill in as robustly as the natural Jack. The fimmed Tangerine seems a little behind the other plants and its nodes are longer too, just like the fimmed Jack. The laggard just shows just a trace of frostiness while all the others show an unmistakable film of crystals.

The other variable between the plants is that the natural plants are closest to the white wall and are likely benefiting from the reflected light. If I were a good scientist I'd shuffle the position of the plants and see if it's the natural state of the two nicest plants or the white wall that makes the difference. But these plants look so nice I'm reluctant to yank them out a spot where they are obviously happy.

I'm also itching to hit the Super Lumen switch on the ballast but I can't find enough information on it. I'm not running CO2 so I don't want to surpass the light saturation point. If the plants are doing well is there any benefit to amping up the light mid-flower?

I doubt I'll be entering more here until next weekend so everyone have a warm and cozy Christmas!

The view at the garden door.

k_december_17_2015_015.JPG

Jacks in the front, Tangerines to the rear.

k_december_17_2015_003.JPG

The flower shots

k_december_17_2015_009.JPG
k_december_17_2015_005.JPG
k_december_17_2015_013.JPG

The fimmed Jack has longer nodes. Is there any hope that these will fill in?

k_december_17_2015_011.JPG
k_december_17_2015_001.JPG
k_december_17_2015_010.JPG

The fimmed Tangerine. She's okay but not showing the progress of the other girls.

k_December_11_2015_020.JPG

Super lumens adds 10%, also reduces life of the bulb by 10%
Prettty sure you wouldnt go over the saturation point. Cant say itd be worth it or not..

We can hope those buds fill in nicely!

Hope you have a fabulous xmas, and hope santa brings everything you asked for!:circle-of-love:

Edit: 7000 lumen per sq foot, is a good number according to richard richardson.

38 days since going to 12/12 and I have to say that this stage seems to have all the excitement of watching paint dry. It is only by viewing older photos of the plants that I can see progress - and there definitley has been progress but it's not the daily "holy crap, she grew 2 inches overnight" progress that was readily apparent in the vegetative stage.

The trichromes are coming out in droves but I worry about my ability to interpret them. No matter how I view them (60x loupe) or through an enlarged photo they all look milky to me. Both the TDs and the Jacks have a reported 70 day flowering period so we're about halfway there. If the trichromes truly are milky at this point how long will they stay that way? From what I've read, I don't want a ton of amber trichromes for the effect I'm trying to achieve but I do want properly ripened buds. I feel like I'm totally out of my element at this stage of the game.

I'd sincerely appreciate any input that will help me naviagte this next critical month!

Tangerines
l_december_28_2015_008.JPG

Jack Herer - they are showing trichrome development on the fan leaves too! That's been a surprise!
l_december_28_2015_015.JPG

Random bud tops
l_december_28_2015_012.JPG
l_december_28_2015_011.JPG
l_december_28_2015_003.JPG

Close up of trichromes - they all look milky to me - or is it a trick of light?
l_december_28_2015_010.JPG

NEWS YOU CAN USE...beepedy..beep..beep..beep:

DO NOT mix molassess into water, seal the jugs and then let them sit for a week before feeding it to your plant! I thought I was going to give the girls and the soil a treat but immediately after soaking the pots the entire grow room smelled like a great dane had taken a massive dump and then died. It was eyewateringly AWFUL! And it took two full days for the odor to fade away. Who would have thought that a tablespoon of molasses in a gallon of water would create such a stink? Needless to say, I'm saving the rest of my jar of molasses for baked beans.

We're 6 weeks and 5 days into flower - 3 of the plants stand about 5'7" and one is about 5'2".

Fimmed Jack (Big Jack) has 4 beefy colas each measuring right at 11 inches and numerous side branches bearing buds that run 3 - 6 inches.

Natural Jack (Top was tied over) has 9 top colas each running about 7 inches and many thick side buds that are about 4 inches long. All the buds on this plant are FOX TAILING! This is the shorty plant in the bunch and all the buds (higher and lower) on the plant are fox tailing so I'm confident it is genetic and not heat stress. This is an exciting development!

Fimmed Tangerine is loaded with smallish buds, the biggest are about 4 inches. This will be the lowest yielding plant of the four.

The natural Tangerine (top tied over) has at least thirteen 7 1/2" buds and a full complement of really nice side braches with multiples of smaller 1 1/2 - 2" buds.

I know that as a first timer grower my yield will be much smaller than what an experienced grower could produce but, at the rate weed is consumed in my house, this could end up being a 5 year supply! Upon consultation with BeaverIslander, I'm starting some seeds for a high CBD cultivar. I'd like to have some babies to stick in there once the current tentants are evicted.

Thanks for stopping by to take a gander. I'm pretty tickled with the results so far.

Tangerine
m_january_8_2016_019.JPG

m_january_8_2016_011.JPG

Little Jack and her fox tailing buds
m_january_8_2016_023.JPG
m_january_8_2016_007.JPG

Big Jack
m_january_8_2016_004.JPG

m_january_8_2016_003.JPG

Garden Pics
m_january_8_2016_018.JPG
m_january_8_2016_016.JPG

Wow, check out the size of those colas, very impressive applegate, they are beauties!

(Oh, thought you might be interested in knowing a have a nice looking Durga Mata ll CBD clone in a 2 gallon Smart Pot :)

(Oh, thought you might be interested in knowing a have a nice looking Durga Mata ll CBD clone in a 2 gallon Smart Pot :)[/QUOTE]

Great! So the clone took - that's wonderful! I'll be looking forward to your report on the Durga once it's cured. I like the cost effectiveness of cloning and I'll have to give it a try at some point in the future. I kind of went nuts buying seeds because I want to try to grow all sorts of varieties and am holding enough beans for 2 years of on-going grows. The Painkillers are nestled all snug in a moist paper towel. I'll be revisiting your completed Painkiller journal to reap all your sage advice!

Thanks for dropping by, Spart! I appreciate your kind words. I've been both fortunate and LUCKY with this first grow. As I round the final lap I'm stressing about harvest and cure - 1) because I've never done that before, and 2) I'm really attached to these plants and dread having to give them the old snip, snip.

Back
Top Bottom