Ase's Perpetual Fun With Coco

Hey Ase, feeding question for you. I'm starting flower week 7 on my Chocolope and 24K Gold. I want to use the KoolBloom powder, but I'm not sure how to calculate the NPK based on the dry powder unit of measurement being weight (g/ml) as opposed to strictly volume (ml/ml), as all of the other nutes are. GH says to feed 1.25 grams to 4 litres of water. I fill a 14 litre bucket, so I'll be adding about 4.4g of KoolBloom. How do I calculate what NPK effect that has?

Hey Ase, feeding question for you. I'm starting flower week 7 on my Chocolope and 24K Gold. I want to use the KoolBloom powder, but I'm not sure how to calculate the NPK based on the dry powder unit of measurement being weight (g/ml) as opposed to strictly volume (ml/ml), as all of the other nutes are. GH says to feed 1.25 grams to 4 litres of water. I fill a 14 litre bucket, so I'll be adding about 4.4g of KoolBloom. How do I calculate what NPK effect that has?

You bring up a good point and I don't really have a scientific answer for this one. Also, KoolBloom is some strong stuff so you can start with even a little less then that and see how they respond first and then bump it up to the full amount next time.

I just make sure my ppm is in line and take a stab. I never figured it out in detail but I use 1/4 teaspoon per 4 liters of water. I'm not sure if that is a gram or not but it might be close. The plant really isn't needing Nitrogen too much so it's really only getting Phosphorous and Potassium. Since Koolboom is just a boost of those it's ratio really is 1-22-14 NPK, but I don't know how to relate that to liters. I wouldn't go adding a bunch of Micro to get the Nitrogen up to hit the NPK ratios is the point I am trying to make. Just keep a watchful eye and try and read them more than anything. I really run Koolbloom for 10 days and I flush until finished, which is usally 10-12 days. That makes up my last two weeks.

I just saw you won the POTM contest for September! Well done and well deserved, Ase. Respect.
I’m finished setting up my replacement Flower Tent and just waiting for some seeds, so just warning you - I’ll be hitting you up for advice again soon! I’m sorry, it’s just the price you pay for winning multiple Plant of the Month contests....

I just saw you won the POTM contest for September! Well done and well deserved, Ase. Respect.
I’m finished setting up my replacement Flower Tent and just waiting for some seeds, so just warning you - I’ll be hitting you up for advice again soon! I’m sorry, it’s just the price you pay for winning multiple Plant of the Month contests....

Hah! I'd be helping whether I won or not. This one was definitely more well deserved than the other one that I won. I miss that Chemdawg already, the smoke was so good. I look forward to your questions here in a bit. I think it's time for you to do a journal. Even if it is just once a week updates. That way I can keep a watchful eye. ;)

Congratulations ASE! Wow, totally deserved! What a great accomplishment. high five!:bravo:

Thanks G2HM! Glad I don't have to start going up against the outdoor plants that will be finishing for most people this month. I didn't want to say it at the time because there are rules on promotion and talking about your plants, but I was hoping I'd get to chat with Sherry again soon. That promo with Gorilla Seeds that you told me about was good but free is better and at the time I was up on votes so I was just hoping I'd still win. I want to show her a picture of my Purple Envy and let her know how much I really do appreciate how generous she is.

I'm finished setting up my replacement Flower Tent and just waiting for some seeds, so just warning you - I'll be hitting you up for advice again soon! I'm sorry, it's just the price you pay for winning multiple Plant of the Month contests....

I agree, you need a journal so we can stay current with your grow. .

Auto Veg Week 1/Day 1 - Photo Seedling Week 1/Day 1

10 days in seedling phase and the autos were ready to be transplanted into their final pots. I sprinkled the roots with Great White and put them in 3 gallon smart pots. This time I decided to put a layer hydroton (make sure to rinse first!) in the very bottom of the pots to help the roots not sit in water. At times I noticed the bottom of the pots gets a little soggy and this is a small improvement I'm making this time. They were all starting to grow pretty fast and hopefully the transplant doesn't stress them out too much. They will be ready to be topped soon as well. Hoping to do that in a couple days.

Wait...that's a ten-day seedling? C'mon,...I just put sprouted seeds in peat pots two days ago, and they're a little less than a inch! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong here. I'm happy for you, but this is depressing.

Wait...that's a ten-day seedling? C'mon,...I just put sprouted seeds in peat pots two days ago, and they're a little less than a inch! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong here. I'm happy for you, but this is depressing.

Well it's hard to say without knowing anything about your grow! I use root enhancers early and I try to keep the coco the seed is in damp and not wet. I think it helps a ton. Also pre-charging the coco is a must so it has everything it needs. I don't use peat pots so I wouldn't know. Coco is extremely easy for seeds to grow in. I germinate in the ziploc baggies, use my root enhancers and then right into the pre-charged coco. No need for starter cubes or anything in my opinion. A couple of times I've started sets of seedlings in this journal. I'm pretty sure I show how I do it every time. I have had 100% germination rate this way and no problems. I'd start there and if you have any questions after that then let me know :)

Hope you stick around for the long run and thanks for stopping in!

Thanks G2HM! Glad I don't have to start going up against the outdoor plants that will be finishing for most people this month. I didn't want to say it at the time because there are rules on promotion and talking about your plants, but I was hoping I'd get to chat with Sherry again soon. That promo with Gorilla Seeds that you told me about was good but free is better and at the time I was up on votes so I was just hoping I'd still win. I want to show her a picture of my Purple Envy and let her know how much I really do appreciate how generous she is.

I'm so sorry I missed that social/contest cue. What a duh head, right in the middle of a contest. Shiz, man... And you couldn't say anything to me cause your lips are sealed. K, making sense now. Then that stuff about cks, oi vey.

Welcome to Alzheimers!

My apologies again. And you still won despite my broken brain. See, goes to prove your plants speak for themselves.

I digress ..

For what it's worth Ase, back to my question - I mixed a simple formula of Calmag and Bloom to roughly hit 1-4-4 and then mixed in the KoolBloom. PPM hit 600 and I was happy with that.

If I find out how to get the measurement exact between liquid and powder I will let you know. I googled for a while and couldn't find the answer but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. I'm guessing you have to measure the weight in g of a set volume in ml to get a conversion ratio. If I was to fill a teaspoon (5 ml) with water, the weight would be 5g, meaning a 1:1 conversion for water. But as the powder is likely lighter, my teaspoon of powder might weigh 2.5g (I didn't measure, just using an arbitrary example) so 1ml would be equivalent to 0.5g.

If that's correct, my 4.4g of KoolBloom would be equivalent to 8.8ml of liquid, and I could calculate the NPK accurately.

I'll need to do some reading on converting between g and ml for kitchen applications. Googling for things like "calculating npk combining liquid and dry nutrients" got me nowhere.

For what it's worth Ase, back to my question - I mixed a simple formula of Calmag and Bloom to roughly hit 1-4-4 and then mixed in the KoolBloom. PPM hit 600 and I was happy with that.

If I find out how to get the measurement exact between liquid and powder I will let you know. I googled for a while and couldn't find the answer but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. I'm guessing you have to measure the weight in g of a set volume in ml to get a conversion ratio. If I was to fill a teaspoon (5 ml) with water, the weight would be 5g, meaning a 1:1 conversion for water. But as the powder is likely lighter, my teaspoon of powder might weigh 2.5g (I didn't measure, just using an arbitrary example) so 1ml would be equivalent to 0.5g.

If that's correct, my 4.4g of KoolBloom would be equivalent to 8.8ml of liquid, and I could calculate the NPK accurately.

I'll need to do some reading on converting between g and ml for kitchen applications. Googling for things like "calculating npk combining liquid and dry nutrients" got me nowhere.

Yeah I've looked it up before. It had to do with density so you are on the right track. There is an equation for converting but I didn't want to do all that at the time and just haven't looked at it again. I would have been a biology major in college if you didn't have to do 3 years of chemistry first. I hated the technical things with chemistry and memorization you had to do. Wasn't worth it to me so I went to business.

I don't think it's extremely easy to figure out unless you know chemistry but I like educated guesses and yours sounds pretty good! It's fun to watch you understand and try to make sense of all this.

I'm so sorry I missed that social/contest cue. What a duh head, right in the middle of a contest. Shiz, man... And you couldn't say anything to me cause your lips are sealed. K, making sense now. Then that stuff about cks, oi vey.

Welcome to Alzheimers!

My apologies again. And you still won despite my broken brain. See, goes to prove your plants speak for themselves.

I digress ..

You figured it out! However, I don't really think it had to do with your brain. I had a couple people say things and I had to skirt it. No biggie! I just wanted to be careful.

Hello Ase, I was on the phone with my hydroponic guy pricing out GH, he told me floralicious plus was 60.00 CAD for a quart but mentioned it's 30% off from that because it will be discontinued.
I know lots that swear by using it with the 3 parts but I forgot to ask what the replacement is, what do you know about it. Is it just humic acid? Expensive shit for humic.

I get it for $36 USD a quart via Amazon. A little goes a long way since it's so concentrated. Also it's organic which doesn't matter to me but it's all derived from plant material. Haven't heard it's discontinued but it if it is I'll have to do some research. I don't use their whole lineup so I'm not entirely sure. I'm about to dive into nutrients soon and look at all options. GH series has treated me great but I love comparing things and the only thing I need to compare now is another nutrient lineup. Likely my next grow I will use the Dutch Master sponsor nutes and see what happens.
420-magazine-mobile130558804.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1552853636.jpg

Flower Day 37 - Veg Day 25

The fan leaves on the veg girls were too big and I clipped them. All of the energy is going to the 4 main branches left. These things will start booming in the next few days. I will start pulling at them the day after they kick into aggressive growth.

EBBEE33E-E6CB-4CF7-80FA-FC6F7E0A9EB8.jpeg

The flower girls are chugging along. The Purple Kush is drinking up water like crazy. I might start trying to feed 3 times a day with her. It got a bit of nute burn on the very tips and the runoff ppm was a few hundred more than normal due to it only getting 1 feeding the other day instead of 2. Not bad to finally have some sort of minor problem and I am 5 weeks into flower. I gave her a double watering (mini-flush) and got the ppm back down to what was going in. Love coco for that reason.

D8CAC0C3-EF39-489F-97D3-DFF7213F9DD7.jpeg

Lost Coast looking happy. Lots of frost already. Excited to grow it again and hopefully get a bigger plant.
92775F24-AC40-479E-9E33-E03B1AC430D9.jpeg

Purple Envy. So Pretty.
E00381E3-6BDA-4590-A0CB-CEFB26717709.jpeg

Lost Coast might be small but she looks great all the same. PK and PE both look like winners, can't wait to see the final product on those. You must be getting a lot of interesting smells by this point Ase?

Back
Top Bottom