Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

What Lies Beneath

Here’s a shot of the world below the canopy. Btw - interesting to note, when you grow a canopy style grow and cover the tent space with your canopy, what you establish is two separate environments. One is above the canopy and one below. Take two temp/RH gauges and put one above and below sometime. The difference is dramatic. This is why I’ve found fans from below blowing up into your canopy works really well. They disperse the RH under the canopy into a higher heat zone where it can be removed. They help maintain a consistent environment both above and below. I personally highly recommend them, especially in bigger tents.

You may have to sideways this picture and blow it up a little to really see, but everything is stripped fairly well. I have a “bud zone” that is based on my assessment of the penetration power of my light setup. I’m pretty happy with this undercarriage, although the Bruce Banner could be done better. She’s tough in the dead center of the tent to work for me. She will be the one plant with an ounce of flarf I suspect.

IMG_5193.jpeg

Alien Cookies x Kush Mints from Seed Junky Genetics? Cookie strain.

I’ve found that if you want high yielding plants and big buds, any hybrid made with one parent that is a Cookies is a good place to look. It is used a lot as a pair in a hybrids to increase yield in the hybrid strain among other qualities.

Dies anyone know here know what “Capn Junky” refers to?
Capulator and Seed Junky crossed Alien Cookies x Kush Mints.. breeders cut is the hype but seeds will be close enough for the price difference 🤣

Ha! The pivot!! You’re good, Captain! And me too, although I went Rice on the Chex.
Rice Chex are also good but I like that corn flavor better. Just a preference though. Auto’s vs. Photos now I’m not sure 🤔 I agree. But it would depend on how long the veg was. CL🍀

IMG_0306.jpeg
IMG_0307.jpeg

We got some of them starting to pray finally.
They are having their second feed of the day when photos were taken. The yellow isn’t actually yellow

Culled the two solos today. We’re down to 12

Sorry I could ‘t show you, all but they neeed watering 3-4 times a day and no one round here had time to that -

Wow we’re having a bad grow 😂

Whatever - learning.

I’ve found that if you want high yielding plants and big buds, any hybrid made with one parent that is a Cookies is a good place to look. It is used a lot as a pair in a hybrids to increase yield in the hybrid strain among other qualities.

Yep - everyone calls in the Cookies genetics thing.

I have honestly never read it explained bettwr. My Farmer mate just shrugs and says “Cookies Genetics”

Your description far more useful!

Cap’n Crunch was a whatever but they gave away whistles in cereal boxes, but they gave the perfect tone for jacking long distance phone lines in the US. AT&T “Old Ma Bell”

Steve Wozniak from Apple all that mob did that stuff.

Cap’n Junky - a reference to that 100%

“We hacked a great strain” I reckon was their sentiment.

I’ll call them if I can track down a phone number for them.

Bit early US Pac time though! Especially for weed breeders 🤣

Nick

Capulator and Seed Junky crossed Alien Cookies x Kush Mints.. breeders cut is the hype but seeds will be close enough for the price difference 🤣
Thank you! And yeah some these people take the piss!

“Look into my eyes, look into my ryes, and you’re under!”

So yeah in another grow I have two Seed Junky Animal Mints BX1 so closely related.

From clones I bought online.

They look pretty average look much like the other 43 plants on the tent - umm only not as nice because the rest I grew from seed.

But i’d like to grow one out and use the other some breeding experiment.

Mints genetics seems to be a thing - want to cross it with a Gorilla Glue #4 x Bruce Banner #3 we have growing.

I suspect that just picking favorite strains and pairing then off doesn’t work Any better then trying to match make your friends in real life! But giving it a whirl!

IMG_0308.jpeg

The orange solos are the Seed Junky ones.

IMG_0309.jpeg
IMG_0310.jpeg

The rest the herd in better shape.

But not a criticism of the clones - its not just we didn’t grow them from seed they look in worse shape.

They spent two days in a cardboard box with no light and then had their nite regime totally changed. I’d be pissed off too!

The idea of paying more than say $10 a seed or clone is crazy!

Marginal gains all that stuff for that?

All BS

You read XYZ “Cut” costs $500 🤣

Look if “NickHardy” offered you limited edition “Cut” for five hundred bucks you’d laugh and pass, right?

We ain’t the best for sure

Your “cuts” are best for you.

Gwhunran is starting a grow of MAC right now, and it starts off with Alien Cookies too.
Crossed with Starfighter and Colombian as I understand it.
I wonder if it's comparable to Captain Junky? He said the sample which convinced him to give it a run was excellent.

Gwhunran is starting a grow of MAC right now, and it starts off with Alien Cookies too.
I wonder if it's comparable to Captain Junky? He said the sample which convinced him to give it a run was excellent.

“Its all about the genetics”

We’ve all heard some version of that, right?

Its like a lot of stuff in life people tell you. Mostly true

I love how cannabis strains I find can do different things. Something to make ME sleep? No Stilnoct or whatever in any quantities can do that nor it seems general anesthetics for more than 6 hours 😂

I want a smart boost and some energy then I’m thinking Bruce Banner I call “Limitless” like the movie - its fascinating how it can work. And I’m one of lowest consumers of weed on the site (ironic as I have 8kg in a cupboard 6ft Way! 😂)

But I want a breeder like @Barney's Farm for my strains - again I’m not sponsored or paid to say this. They’re a sponsor though and they have huge selection, their own and plenty of classics / and the germ success rate is really high.

Chasing the weird cuts and phenos?

Really for 99% of people start with 3 seeds each of 4 strains with similar finishing times in a 4x4

Cull 8 of them leaving your 4 plants of four strains in a 4x4 finishing 8-9 weeks post flip.

Target 100 days from germ to harvest

Nothing fancy.

Easy life.

Lot of people been talking in @InTheShed thread about a wionder strain called Captain Junky
I’m reallt trying to get some seeds.
Dies anyone know here know what “Capn Junky” refers to?
I believe it's Cap Junky (for "Capulator" as GV mentioned) rather than Captain (as in CaptainLucky) or Capn (as in Capn Crunch). It's a clone-only variety so the folks growing it from seed (as I will) have gotten them from someone who created S1's from a clone from the original plant. Close enough is the best you can hope for with S1's but I like the look of the ones I've seen enough to convince me to grow one.
“Look into my eyes, look into my ryes, and you’re under!”
Aaaaaand you're back in the room.

“Its all about the genetics”

We’ve all heard some version of that, right?

Its like a lot of stuff in life people tell you. Mostly true

I love how cannabis strains I find can do different things. Something to make ME sleep? No Stilnoct or whatever in any quantities can do that nor it seems general anesthetics for more than 6 hours 😂

I want a smart boost and some energy then I’m thinking Bruce Banner I call “Limitless” like the movie - its fascinating how it can work. And I’m one of lowest consumers of weed on the site (ironic as I have 8kg in a cupboard 6ft Way! 😂)

But I want a breeder like @Barney's Farm for my strains - again I’m not sponsored or paid to say this. They’re a sponsor though and they have huge selection, their own and plenty of classics / and the germ success rate is really high.

Chasing the weird cuts and phenos?

Really for 99% of people start with 3 seeds each of 4 strains with similar finishing times in a 4x4

Cull 8 of them leaving your 4 plants of four strains in a 4x4 finishing 8-9 weeks post flip.

Target 100 days from germ to harvest

Nothing fancy.

Easy life.
You ever consider running any of Ace’s strains? Guaranteed that they will rock your world 🌎. CL🍀

Aaaaaand you're back in the room.
Yep if you hadn't have got that you would’t be Shed!

“Brillliiiiant!”

They’re doing-some Fast Show specials this year.

You ever consider running any of Ace’s strains? Guarantee that will rock your world 🌎. CL🍀

No - heard good things though!

I ordered 4 strains from a company Washington State company called Exotic Genetix last week. Unusually for a smaller breeder they’re available here and the local Amazon equivalent had them but said “Ships in 2 Weeks” so ordered on COD basis. No money paid until they arrive at my door.

They are nice looking plants. Not high yielding style. They post their tests they get done in Nevada. Quite interesting - maybe I’m reading the tests wrong, I’ll hunt one out, but as a breeder very much started out with “medical” in mind, the strains I checked out only had THC as a cannabinoid, no CBD, CBG or anything else and the THC levels were in the 7-15% range - but then its rare our tests come in at 20% or more

i’m ambivalent as to whether or not they arrive. Expensive beans. $100 per 6? I think! Their website and that you get for your buck is unclear. In fact its one of the worst websites I’ve ever used! For anything 🤣

The reseller here has bought some boxes seems like and is selling individually. I think on balance I’d like them to arrive and do the 12 seeds for 4 plants thing I outlined above with them. They’d be a hard sell here. The market really isn’t very sophisticated here. Its tourists having some excitement, fun on holiday and some like really dedicated bong hitting stoners. The fancy beans I grow them? I mean my consumption is so low and I have so much weed they’ll probably last me for years so they’d better be good! And whilst I’m better than “It gets me high” when I try different strains - I’m not much better! I can tell you quite specifically the slightly different way my brain reacts to each one with some granularity.

They might have won all these awards but really? Offering up new strains all the time for limited periods suggests to me its just a consumerist exercise. “Newer - Better - Whatever”

I mean OG Kush a cornerstone strain was basically likely bag seed? Its origins are murky. So I take “magic” strains with a pinch of salt!

Oh on testing? Shed very kindly hooked me up with the name of the people in California he’s previously used. I want some fuller testing and its not really available here. California makes most sense because I can ship direct, no middle country and even it arrives in the US no need to cross state lines. Yeah. Not happening. Despite explaining I was in Thailand 15 hours ahead in time zone they’re response was generally only during the 5 hours or so I actually sleep 😂 So the conversation took about 4 days. I’m used to this - sometimes I have to work with people based there and the idea that the world has time zones other than Pacific to Eastern blows them away!

Eventually when they got on to the DEA stuff I said its OK. Started trying to explain the DEA (how ever much they try!) is just a US National body and no I had not had a discussion with them about the legality of my growing cannabis because they are not “World Police - fk yeah!”

Still no way do I want to piss them off!

😂 DEA if you’re reading - love ya and the work you do!

Is there an actual serial killer who would say, oh no, I really AM a serial killer? I’m pretty sure they’d lie about it, no? It would seem to make getting away with it harder if you confessed before you were caught on social media. I’m just trying to figure out this whole serial killer thing. I watch Forensic Files and stuff sometimes, and a show called Very Bad People that focuses on all the famous guys (and why are they almost always guys?) and I just don’t get it. These guys are so fricking insane yet somehow can come off just like you and me. It drives home the point that you just never know. People can be anything behind closed doors. The masks people wear in public are very often just that.

Like I said before, the things I read in this journal. Who wants to try and tie serial killers to growing weed? Anyone got a story?

:rofl:

A Few Words on Growing Big Autos

Not every auto will get big no matter what you do on your end. Others will get big regardless of what you do. Most are somewhere in between.

For me, growing autos, it’s strictly a yield and quality thing. Thus I use big pots, grow in coco mostly, and nutes. If you want to grow large autos, those three things are a solid starting point. Those things alone will produce larger autos compared to soil and/or smaller pots every single time without fail. One thing I’ve found is that, like fish in an aquarium, an auto will grow to the size of its environment. So to get bigger autos you need a bigger aquarium, ie, pot.

Using coco is simple - it makes larger plants than soil. Just does. Growth rate is faster. Overall size is bigger. You can do side by sides as many times as you want, the outcome will always be the same. That said - it also is a more expensive way to grow, as you have to water to runoff every day and they chew through nutes like crazy. So I do it only for yield, and only for autos. You also need a way to vacuum out your runoff growing in coco, unless you want standing water in your tent. It’s more work. More money. Know that. But, for me, it’s worth it for the increase in yield.

Nutes are also a no brainer as in coco you don’t really have a choice. Inert medium. The plant eats only what you feed it, as obviously it is not getting its nutrients from the soil. So good nutes is a plus, an no, they are not all the same.

No matter how you train or choose to shape your plants, if you want bigger autos and yield is your thing, this is your path imho. And I’ll be the first to tell you that every plant will taste and smell better in soil. Again, it’s a trade off for yield. The difference is such that unless you’re one of us you probably wouldn’t even notice it. To me it’s glaring, but I have all my people convinced that my weed tastes and smells great. Lmao! Point is, ultra yields from autos involve the acceptance of certain trade off and certain acceptances/compromises. But once made, you can outyield photos with autos. If you grew a photo and flipped it whenever the auto started to flower, which do you think will yield more? My money is on the auto, as a flip of a photo at day, say, 28 or 30, is less than ideal.

Anyway, a few words and my take on big autos. In the same vein, here’s a brief list of autos I have jarred 10 or more ounces from. That’s 10+ ounces of prime, trimmed, great jarred buds, no flarf. Huge autos by anyone’s standards.

- Trizkit - 20Twenty Mendocino
- Gorilla Cookies - 420FastBuds
- Watermelon Wedding Cake XXL - Growers Choice
- Platinum Mimosa Cookies XXL - Growers Choice
- White Widow - Original Harvest
- Cherry Pie - Blimburn Seeds
- Apple Fritter - Blimburn Seeds
- Chunkadelic - Humboldt Seed Company
- Blackberry Moonrocks - Blimburn Seeds
- Pineapple Express - Royal Queen Seeds

Thanks for stopping by!
Hey Jon.....out of the list of autos which one of those would you say is the best quality (or top 3) Enquiring minds wanna know!! Happy Friday!! 😎✌️

Yeah I have MAC 1 autos and photos in the next grow

Hey Jon.....out of the list of autos which one of those would you say is the best quality (or top 3) Enquiring minds wanna know!! Happy Friday!! 😎✌️
Hey @Scottay - thanks - imo the top of that list is always the Watermelon Wedding Cake XXL from Growers Choice. I just ordered five more seeds this morning of it. I’ve grown it several times and several different ways, and it’s easy, foolproof almost, pretty heavy feeder, medium to highish leaf volume, awesome internodal spacing, tons of side branching, and amazing, super frosty, extremely tasty, and pretty potent (28% ish) buds. It’s a massive yielder. It set my current record for jarred buds from one auto at almost 14 ounces. I don’t believe I’ve grown one yet that came in less than 10 ounces. Huge plants. I’ll be using a 15 gallon pot for mine this time. She gives 40-something days of veg, maybe more, and more than doubles in the stretch, which is a crazy thing to behold. Flower varies, but it’s been between 100-120 days overall if memory serves. Don’t think I’ve had one finish much below 100 days. To a man, all my musician buddies agree that it’s the best bud to play on, as it’s highly creative but very controlled, and has a great hybrid balance where you’re never couchlocked and never too sativa/wired.

I don’t have a stake in the strain, lmao. It’s just really that good, and I have stated in the past that it’s the closest auto to a guarantee I’ve found yet. I train it usually by topping above node four or five and spreading out the branches and then choosing which of the tons of side branches to keep or not to fill it in.

Since you asked…lol. I will say also that the Gorilla Cookies, which I included on the list because I can already see these two I have belong there, appears that it may also be in this vein. Certainly a faster finisher too. The one I have in the 10 of coco is likely a 12-14 ounce plant.

Helpful?

Skywalker Backup
Day 73

Here’s her tichomes and spears at the moment. Knowing this is a relatively lowish thc strain (24-ish %), and also having a small idea of what her buzz profile is, I am going to take this girl tomorrow morning or this weekend at some point. Before Monday. I want her as sativa as possible and as strong as possible, and to my eyes that’s pretty much nowish. Maybe another day or two. She’s right on the edge of all white > amber. The buds are super dense and not going to do anything else but tighten up, but they’re pretty damn tight now. I got my bud washing buckets all setup and ready to go. Always subject to change but I’m also sick of looking at this plant. Lmao.

IMG_5212.jpeg

2024-03-22-21-17-47-967.jpeg

2024-03-22-21-16-46-549.jpeg

2024-03-22-21-17-12-889.jpeg

Northern Lights Auto
2.5 Gallon Pot
Semi Organic
Jon’s Soil Mix with @GeoFlora Nutrients
Day 74

She’s just an almost perfect little plant, and getting close. From the first picture you can see how productive she is for her size. For perspective, I could fit four rows of four, 16 plants, if all 16 were exactly like this, in my 5x5, and they’d be less crowded than my current tent. That’s actually a decent idea, lmao. Anyway, besides her production/size, she smells like a dank dream, her buds are super dense, and while not the most outwardly frosty plant, she’s got more than her share of trichs, which you can see in the bud shots. I believe when finished this plant will be around 3 ounces jarred. So what I take from that (if I’m right or close) is, If 2.5 gallon organic = 3 ounces, a 10 gallon organic with the exact same training style (Dual Sombrero) should = approximately 12 ounces. Is it that linear? Let’s see how much I like it and maybe we’ll find out. Lol! I’m like Michael Jordan with growing at this point. Jordan needed nightly motivation. When he didn’t have an enemy or cause, he’d take something out of context and “invent” something to piss himself off and keep him interested and motivated. I’ll do just about anything that might make sense if for no other reason than to keep my grows from all looking the same. But it’s got to have a point that leads towards some form of better understanding.
:rofl:

IMG_5215.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5219.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom