Bud Washing

So you use hot water skybound? Just heard of the hot water knocking off the trichs. Hey doc thank you for the reply, glad to hear you use room temp water & not hot anymore since you are the one who a me up with this, also thank you for your reply. That's what I'll do room temp cause the hot water scares me.

I've never used hot water. A chef---and super talented grower---used that process to blanche the final product and bring out color. I don't do it.

Ahh ok doc, sorry to be a hassle brother. It's been a while since I read this thread and it was like back in the 30's , I wasn't any where near harvesting or growing at the time and then I get back on here and it's 80 somethin pages. I was just asking due to I read in another journal that after experimentation there had come a new conclusion so I am just came to ask and make sure. Once again thank you doc for your time and knowledge

I didn't notice a problem at all when I tried the peroxide bath. I did it twice. No issue.

I dry buds in a room that ranges from 65 to 70 degrees, 55-60% RH.

Thanks for your reply Doc!
So i will just use the 1:3 H2O2 bath as intended and dry as you suggested!

Another fact that made me think:

As for lemon juice, there is fresh without sulfites and "Real" lemon that has sulfites. If you have no allergy or bad reaction to sulfites, I recommend the "Real" Lemon (or another lemon juice with added sulfites) because these sulfites are anti-fungal....which is why they are added.

I can get no lemon juice with added sulfites where I live...

Could I add extra sulfites to natural lemon juice, since I got signs of PM and want to make extra sure in addition to the H2O2 bucket?
If yes, which kind of sulfites should I use and in what concentration?

I love your method and how it adds to the aroma and appearance of the end product, even after just little time of curing!:thumb::Namaste:

So is the best thing to do is not use hot water anymore correct? I've read and read and can't seem to remember where I saw no use hot water anymore. I was gonna go 1 cup lemon juice& 1 cup baking soda, water, water. All room temp water. What do you guys recommend on my technique . I would love any kind advice

there are terpenes that evaporate at hot water temps..:)

Thanks for your reply Doc!
So i will just use the 1:3 H2O2 bath as intended and dry as you suggested!

Another fact that made me think:

I can get no lemon juice with added sulfites where I live...

Could I add extra sulfites to natural lemon juice, since I got signs of PM and want to make extra sure in addition to the H2O2 bucket?
If yes, which kind of sulfites should I use and in what concentration?

I love your method and how it adds to the aroma and appearance of the end product, even after just little time of curing!:thumb::Namaste:

I haven't done this yet....but all my wine-making friends use Meta K. It kills the native yeasts in the grapes, then they introduce whatever yeast they want for fermentation. It would work incredibly well for washing buds, but I think it is totally unnecessary unless we're talking about a giant harvest all with PM.

I personally won't let anything with PM out of the garbage can, but not everyone is able to toss plants and cancel harvests. I also don't have PM.

I haven't done this yet....but all my wine-making friends use Meta K. It kills the native yeasts in the grapes, then they introduce whatever yeast they want for fermentation. It would work incredibly well for washing buds, but I think it is totally unnecessary unless we're talking about a giant harvest all with PM.

I personally won't let anything with PM out of the garbage can, but not everyone is able to toss plants and cancel harvests. I also don't have PM.

lol

So you use hot water skybound? Just heard of the hot water knocking off the trichs. Hey doc thank you for the reply, glad to hear you use room temp water & not hot anymore since you are the one who a me up with this, also thank you for your reply. That's what I'll do room temp cause the hot water scares me.

I feel so stupid right now as all this time I've been under the impression that DB used hot water. None the less, I did 3 washes, all starting with the hottest my faucet makes which isn't that high. Next time I will try the wash with room temp water and see if flavors are better preserved. At any rate, my mistake for advising the use of hot water.

I feel so stupid right now as all this time I've been under the impression that DB used hot water. None the less, I did 3 washes, all starting with the hottest my faucet makes which isn't that high. Next time I will try the wash with room temp water and see if flavors are better preserved. At any rate, my mistake for advising the use of hot water.

No hot water for me! Definitely no ice water either.

I've stopped using the hottest tap water, too. Now it's more warm than hot - maybe 100 degrees.

I haven't had any complaints with the terps in my produce, but it just doesn't seem necessary, and it has to be easier on the volatile terpenes.

hey there everyone.
i was just wondering if doing the bud washing, can help with buds that didnt get a chance to be flushed before harvest?
i have an autoflower thats ready for harvest. it seems it passed the time a little bit, and the plant is starting to lose color little by little, top drying out little by little. (not nute problem i dont think. i think its time is just up, autoflower...).
im feeding with organic biobizz nutes, and blackstrap mollases, so they dont actually call for a complete flush. theyre just supposed to watered with regular water the last week, at normal amounts. i just watered them with nutes two days ago.
do you guys think if i chopped now, and did a bud wash, that it would help undue the effects of chopping before watering with plain water for a week? or is it best to let it go another week, even though the plant seems to appear to be finishing.

hey there everyone.
i was just wondering if doing the bud washing, can help with buds that didnt get a chance to be flushed before harvest?

The answer is yes, the wash can help, but it won't ripen the buds if they are removed prematurely. You should get a 30x - 50x magnification device and look at the trichomes to determine how close to finish she is, but any advise beyond that would be going beyond the scope of this thread.

I was looking at this pic I took, with the nice detail including the brown pistils still standing up, and I realized it would be a good example for anyone wondering if they really should dunk their freshly harvested buds in water, much less swish them around. :laughtwo:

I do one plant at a time, so I just fill both sides of the sink with tap water. One side gets warm water and a third cup each of baking soda and lemon juice. The other side gets cold water from the tap. I dump everything into the warm side, let it soak for a couple minutes, and then start pulling stems out one by one. First, I clear a space in the sink and swish the branch vigorously - enough to make suds if there was soap - and then hold it up to drip off, and submerge it in the cold sink to soak. The whole process takes maybe 10 minutes, and then I drain the sinks, pull each branch out, and hang 'em to dry. I'm not gentle. I'm not careful. And this is what my sativa buds look like when they're dry and ready to smoke.

:Namaste:

DSCN94621.JPG

I was looking at this pic I took, with the nice detail including the brown pistils still standing up, and I realized it would be a good example for anyone wondering if they really should dunk their freshly harvested buds in water, much less swish them around. :laughtwo:

I do one plant at a time, so I just fill both sides of the sink with tap water. One side gets warm water and a third cup each of baking soda and lemon juice. The other side gets cold water from the tap. I dump everything into the warm side, let it soak for a couple minutes, and then start pulling stems out one by one. First, I clear a space in the sink and swish the branch vigorously - enough to make suds if there was soap - and then hold it up to drip off, and submerge it in the cold sink to soak. The whole process takes maybe 10 minutes, and then I drain the sinks, pull each branch out, and hang 'em to dry. I'm not gentle. I'm not careful. And this is what my sativa buds look like when they're dry and ready to smoke.

:Namaste:

DSCN94621.JPG

I was hopng to see that nug picture again - great job :circle-of-love:

My friend grew some real nice outdoor incredible bulk this season and he didn't wash it. He gave me an ounce, been smoking it. Do you guys find that it is not just bad taste but also coughing and congestion, sneezing even sometimes? Even the next day I have lung butter.

My other friend grew a clone of it to and he listened and washed it, same strain, delicious and no allergy type reactions.

You are right we are weed snobs now who hate to smoke unwashed.

Back
Top Bottom