Bud Washing

We are not snobs, they are doing it wrong.

The annoying thing is, try to show them a better way and you get bugger all

im damn grateful to Doc for giving me the bug, i wish other people would be as grateful about it when you try to make them see

Well, I didn't read ALL 87 pages, but darn near.
Thanks Doc Bud and all other contributors !
I'm on my 3rd grow, inside a highly modified fridge and I just learned of this method.
I have had great harvests in the past, but I am looking forward to the taste test on this grow.
I will be chopping next week sometime.

Just a quick question tho...
All I read is using reverse osmosis water.
Can I use distilled water, or natural spring water, or can I just let tap water breathe for a few days?

Thanks !

I think the confusion about the hot water comes from the very first post in this thread by hiker and it reads "How do you do it?

My technique was based off instructions from Curso.

I use 3 5g buckets. The first bucket has room temp, ie not cold, water with the lemon juice and baking soda. The second bucket has the hottest water I can get from the faucet. The last bucket is the coldest water I can get.
"

Well, I didn't read ALL 87 pages, but darn near.
Thanks Doc Bud and all other contributors !
I'm on my 3rd grow, inside a highly modified fridge and I just learned of this method.
I have had great harvests in the past, but I am looking forward to the taste test on this grow.
I will be chopping next week sometime.

Just a quick question tho...
All I read is using reverse osmosis water.
Can I use distilled water, or natural spring water, or can I just let tap water breathe for a few days?

Thanks !

You will be good with any of those

I do filtered tap and let it sit for 24 hours to let cholorine evaporate

My RO filter would take about 3 hours to fill 3 5gal buckets

So I feed RO

Wash with tap

I also wash my fruits and veggies in the same filtered tap water so I am already ingesting what is in it

When I was a kid I would drink out of a garden hose

Sometimes it was laying in the hot sun all day lol now that was some nasty stuff
:peacetwo:

I wonder if using water ph'd to around 5-5.5 would help? some say its best to wash veggies in acidic water helps remove all the nasty shit, not sure if this would matter or not

I wonder if using water ph'd to around 5-5.5 would help? some say its best to wash veggies in acidic water helps remove all the nasty shit, not sure if this would matter or not

The baking soda and lemon are a far better surfactant than slightly acidic water.

Also, if you started with 'pH'd" water, you'd soon make it pH of about 9 with the soda, then bring it back down with the lemon juice, etc.

Believe it or not, this method actually works really well exactly as described on the thread.

Right after i posted it i realized that the lemon juice is acidic and would do exactly what i was suggesting, and i plan on using your method verbatim. Although i am nervous as this is my first full grow to harvest.
edit..
Doc You wrote "Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202."
In 5 gallons bucket would this be around 4 gallons of water 1 gallon of h2o2? I am not good with parts measurements

Right after i posted it i realized that the lemon juice is acidic and would do exactly what i was suggesting, and i plan on using your method verbatim. Although i am nervous as this is my first full grow to harvest.
edit..
Doc You wrote "Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202."
In 5 gallons bucket would this be around 4 gallons of water 1 gallon of h2o2? I am not good with parts measurements

Yes....but skip the H202 unless you have PM. Just use 3 buckets.

Would it be safe to just use the h2o2 i am not sure i am experienced enough to know if i have pm or not? I also dont want to take extra steps if not needed.

Would it be safe to just use the h2o2 i am not sure i am experienced enough to know if i have pm or not? I also dont want to take extra steps if not needed.

Do the leaves on your plants have a bunch of white stuff on them? Like round circles of a powdery substance? I'm not talking about the resin, but a white, powdery stain on the leaves, usually the lower, interior ones?

That's Powdery Mildew and I sure hope you don't have it. If you don't there is no reason to use the H202. Just do the 3 bucket method.

I have been washing my buds since this thread started. I am a big fan, can't see any reason to not wash buds.

Question for you chemistry leaning folks: Is there a duration of time that the lemon juice/baking soda mixture no longer is effective? In other words, will the combination weaken over time? Is there any degradation of the base and acidic mixture?

I usually harvest my main colas first, and wait for the rest of the lower plant's trichomes to ripen. Therefore, I prefer to have my buckets filled with the appropriate liquids stay ready for use whenever they are needed. Sometimes, I may only have a cola or two to wash. I have 3 food grade buckets that I keep my liquids in and also securely cap each one after use. When the liquids need replaced due to dirt, I just pour the old out, and put fresh ingredients in the buckets.

Back to my question: Assuming that the lemon/soda mixture is not too dirty, can I leave the lemon/soda mixture in a bucket without it losing any of it's cleaning power?

Much thanks to Bud Doc for making this technique readily available!

Ive washed every strain i grew...couldnt tell a difference in trichs before or after. Would post the pics of the frosted buds but dont know how to. But trust they didnt lose one...and one plant had PM used the peroxide trick and no signs of it afterwards...clean good smoke...thru amd thru....hot water trick did noticeably brighten up the buds i had chosen to blanch, they stayed a brighter green after drying compared to buds off same plant that i didnt blanch. Another trick i used was taking cutting of branches and placing them i vase with a litlle water and all natural lemon extract added, capillary action allows for the plant to uptake the water and extract...LEMON/strawberry cough super lemony smell to it

Thanks DocBud.....
Well mine was all GH outdoor. I didn't have any PM or mold, but used the H2O2 along with the lemon juice/soda, also 3 buckets rinse water. All buckets were mostly above warm tepid water except the last was faucet cold. I didn't see any cause not to use the H2O2 and I figured with all my homemade bug spray and folier ferts, june bug spit, lizard & bird crap, poo from couple green worms, global warming, why not!! And WalleyWorld $.88 cent/qt of 3% H2O2 cost, but cheap in my book for insurance. Came out awesome, clean, nice, potent!!! (figure I gave maybe 3 trichomes to the trichome Gods) Had lots, took more time to wash and hang, took time watching and eying my helpers to make damn sure they were doing way I wanted it done, but.... Only way mine will EVER be done again!!!! Never go back!!!

"Another trick i used was taking cutting of branches and placing them i vase with a litlle water and all natural lemon extract added, capillary action allows for the plant to uptake the water and extract...LEMON/strawberry cough super lemony smell to it"

loudpak....hummm, gave me a thought for the future. Would like to research this farther.

Has anyone tried adding lemon concentrate to thier flush water for a week? That might get the results you're after.

Wouldnt you rather grow a frosty lemony strain and try to improve the quantity and quality of the terps you will get?
Real Chocolate or Chocolate flavored? Real Bourbon Vanilla or Vanillin?
Champagne or Sparkling Wine?
:Namaste:

:thumb:

And isn't it nice to ''know'' the real taste of the strain/pheno and see how it develops during the curing.
Plenty of flavoured rolling papers and such out there if one wants to add taste.
Some people also put vanilla pods, cinnamon, coffee beans etc in their curing jars.

With organic growing(and terroir if outdoor), a wash and a proper cure one can get some utterly amazing flavours.

Back
Top Bottom