Votes: 15 14.9%
  • <$250

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • <$500

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • $1000 or more

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
you are right in a sense with the height of the hid, but from the source to a foot away from the source you lose no lumen's, from 1-2 FT from the source your lumen's start dropping, then after three ft they drop dramatically... So if I have a 4 inch plant and my light is 6 inches off the top then I am still getting my 35,000 lumen's from my MH... Now if I had to keep it up over a foot off the top then yes, you may get stretch.... I never had a problem with stretching until i decided to give the 18/6 a try. This was my own personal experience and I will try it again here to see if I get the same results...
You are doing a fine job XS, this is a nice an informative journal, and it is nice to have a friendly debate that will help other growers in the future..... :peace:

i agree with you beIrie, it's nice to debate without throwing poo lol maybe 24/7 light makes the plant more at ease, because if there is always light never dark, the genetic code responsible for survival doesn't have to work as hard. maybe darkness makes plants stretch. maybe there is some spectrum of light you could have on 24/7 that stops stretch entirely, maybe blinking LEDs is the answer, maybe a strobe light grows the biggest buds lmao

that's why I love these forums, you can debate and everyone is cool with it :) maybe it's cuz we all smoke... haha anyone see the connection?

picture update! 2nd topping has turned out perfectly, switching to 12/12 in a few days while under the weak floros untill i determine sex, then into the flowering box under 12,800 lumens for SCRoG!!!!!

032109_001.jpg

to be honest this is only the second time I have done this, but here are my thoughts just the same:

I think that topping for indoor growing is mandatory if you want good yields. I also think that SCRoG is basically LST'ing with a screen, rather than individual strings on single branches, except it happens during flowering rather than the veg cycle. I thought about LST'ing my plants but decided that it would be too much work, and not the most ideal technique for me seeing as I have no real height constraints, which is primarily what LST'ing helps you overcome. Thus, SCRoG became my method of choice. I have been very methodical in assuring that my canopy developed evenly, and that all plants had a uniform number of growing tips so that when I do finally install my screen, I will have a semi-predictable yield from each plant (I hope).

Feel free to comment on, disagree with, or inquire further on any aspect of my journal, as I love the conversations I have here!

hey buddy, could you do me a favor and describe topping and SCRoG? i know SCRoG means screen of green, but not entirely sure what that means... and i have no idea about topping

hey buddy, could you do me a favor and describe topping and SCRoG? i know SCRoG means screen of green, but not entirely sure what that means... and i have no idea about topping

certainly - i copy/pasta'ed from the inventor's page:

When a length of poultry netting is stretched over the grow area, it eliminates the need for conventional training methods. Tying, bending, and crimping are replaced by using the netting as anchors to keep shoots in position. The netting can also be perfectly shaped to make best use of the light. The netting is known as the screen, hence the name Screen Of Green or ScrOG for short.

Plants are topped to promote branching, as the plants grow into the screen and their shoot tips start to grow through the holes in the screen, they are pulled back under the screen and guided to the next hole in the screen to continue their horizontal growth, all the time maintaining the profile of the screen to maximize light use. Growth is extremely robust. While now getting the same light intensity as the primary shoot tips, secondary growth seems to blossom, and from the secondary growth comes tertiary growth, etc., all at the top of the canopy, and all receiving maximum light intensity. How many plants are used depends on how much time the grower wants to take to fill the screen to a point where it will be full with buds at harvest. This will largely depend on the growth traits of the variety he uses, but one can fill a canopy with only one plant if desired.

When flowered, only the slow growing buds typical of the post stretch phase are allowed to grow through the holes in the ScrOG. The resulting harvest profile is indeed a Sea Of Green but with much fewer plants and the increased yields gained from making use of the void spaces found in a conventionally trained non-SOG canopy.

In a nutshell, the ScrOG concept is easy to understand, but putting it into practice often finds a person wanting for details from the moment he places plants into his system to the stretch phase of flowering. Viewing some resources about those details is advised before starting your first ScrOG project.

Very good job maintaining an even canopy XSV! They are gonna be big by the looks of em. Are you moving out of those 2gal containers after sexing? Your cab looks a bit small so I was just wondering what you plan on doing.

So far you seem to have accomplished what you set out to do, props for that and good growing. :peace:

Very good job maintaining an even canopy XSV! They are gonna be big by the looks of em. Are you moving out of those 2gal containers after sexing? Your cab looks a bit small so I was just wondering what you plan on doing.

So far you seem to have accomplished what you set out to do, props for that and good growing. :peace:

agreed, good job XSV. can't wait to see the SCRoG!

Back
Top Bottom