Coco coir questions

CS21

Hi guys, brand new member here... super new to growing and I just have a couple questions when it comes to coco...
I started my seedlings in jiffy pellets, and today is day 9 and I put them in solo cups of double buffered coco mixed with perlite.
My question is since the coco is wet and the seedlings were still pretty damp do I need to water right away still?? I dont want to overwater...
Also, when do I start mixing in my coco nutes? Right away? TIA

Welcome aboard my friend

If all is damp , probably good till a Sprite or water in the pm

I'm not a Coco guy but pretty sure they start with like 1/4 strength nutes right away once true leaves firm on the seedling

Some great Coco how too' s here, do a quick search and I'm sure someone Coco growers will pop in soon

@Pennywise @EastCoastGhost @SamSmith

Hey guys, coco is a form of hydro. You want to water daily, you can’t overwater coco. I start with 1/4 nutrients from the start. You can increase nutrients as they grow. Watering daily means you can back off on the nutes as compared to soil.

Hey guys, coco is a form of hydro. You want to water daily, you can’t overwater coco. I start with 1/4 nutrients from the start. You can increase nutrients as they grow. Watering daily means you can back off on the nutes as compared to soil.

Ok... sounds great!! Thanks for your reply!!
So that being said, since everything was wet when put into cups they should be ok till tomorrow??

Here are some pics to help out as well
They are all still green and healthy looking I think
I made it, good advice Penny. welcome CS21, your gonna love coco once you get the hang of things.✌️
Thanks Ghost I am super excited about it and have heard good things.

Attachments

• 20181226_121017.jpg
    20181226_121017.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20181226_120950.jpg
    20181226_120950.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20181226_120937.jpg
    20181226_120937.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 44
Ok so you cant over water coco but while plants are small and roots are developing its better to allow the coco to dry between waterings, you dont want to keep it wet. This will force better root growth. You must always feed with nutrients for best results and never plain water until flush (as a general rule, there are excpetions to this). Keep PH in the 5.5-6.0 range for vegetative growth.

Still feed daily but dont allow run off, and make sure pots are light to lift up 24hrs later. Takes a bit of practice to get this but again this will serve 2 purposes, speeding up root growth and preventing fungus gnats. Fungus gnats can be a problem in coco as people tend to keep it overly moist.

I hate the term 1/4 strength nutes, that means nothing at all. Different nutrient brands have different concentrations in their feeds. 1/4strength of AN PH perfect wont be the same as 1/4 strength of Ionic for example. For hydroponic growing you should be precise in what you are doing. If you have a problem you want reference points of what you have been givin the plants. A difference of 0.2ec(100ppm) can be the difference to problems or a great plant.

Get a quality EC/PPM meter such as a Bluelab Truncheon. These are great as they accurately measure nute strength for years with very little maintenance and are reat for mixing nutes too. Start your feeds at 1.0EC(500pm) based on a starting tap water of 0.3ec(150ppm) or RO water with 0.3ec of calmag added. Then once there are 2 or 3 sets of real leaves and plants are under adequate light (min 400w m2) bump it up to 1.4ec(700ppm) and that will be fine for veg.

If you want to learn about rowing in coco coir read my how to grow in coco with feed schedule and have a look through my other journals. my newest journal doesnt have anything happening now so look through the completed ones. Everything you need to know is there.

Also you CAN OVER WATER coco if it is sitting in its run off, so never allow run off to be left in trays. A pro tip is to put a layer of clay pebbles at the bottom of your pots and on the top of your trays, this will prevent roots sitting in stagnant water and allow fantastic aeration for them.

Also you CAN OVER WATER coco if it is sitting in its run off, so never allow run off to be left in trays. A pro tip is to put a layer of clay pebbles at the bottom of your pots and on the top of your trays, this will prevent roots sitting in stagnant water and allow fantastic aeration for them.
Awesome... thank you for the advice... I have started a journal and would love great info like this as well if you were to join!! I have only gave ph water and rhizo by canna and now put them in calmag buffered coco... the next time I water will be first nute feeding!! All canna products
RO water
Coco A+B
Cannazym
Rhizo
Calmag
With 5.8 as ph
As for an ec meter i will have to get one asap

Back
Top Bottom