Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG

Has anyone ever tried this method with a flood and drain table? The thought of watering by hand using this method on a large scale would kick my ass, lol. Or even a flood to waste? I would assume watering from the bottom up, ie; flooding would be ok and if they are packed in tight, I doubt they would do any tipping over. Looking for advice on this one folks. I think this could revolutionize my garden.

I imagine you could use any method to get them water and nutes...flood table, Dutch pots, drippers, whatever... but for me much of the appeal of hempy is the simplicity. If you were using a flood table it wouldn't be hempy any more IMHO.

:Namaste:

Not sure what "hempy" actualy means, but flooding a table seems much more "simplistic" than watering by hand. In my situation I have lots of room and 10,000K of lights. Watering by hand would take days, lol.

Not sure what "hempy" actualy means, but flooding a table seems much more "simplistic" than watering by hand. In my situation I have lots of room and 10,000K of lights. Watering by hand would take days, lol.

Hempy was actually the name of the grower that came up with the idea. It caught on so much so that his method became known as a Hempy bucket or just plain Hempy.

He's not on 420 Magazine, and as I understand it his current method has evolved to using some type of coco medium... Originally it was 50/50 Perlite/Vermiculite, but pretty much anything can be used as the medium, it's really more of the bucket design with the hole in the side that makes it "Hempy"...to me anyway.

I do see your point with 10,000k of lights, but by simple I mean no reservoir, pumps, timers, etc. For a home grower it's a no muss, no fuss way to get their feet wet (pun intended!) with hydroponics. It sounds like you're in a totally different ball park!

420fied's setup with 10,000 watts would be something like maybe 1500+ plants by my guesstimation... :thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake:

lol, you got it bro. NICE GUESS! LOTS of room. I tried the CAP ebb n grow buckets with a little success, but dealing with a pump failure cost me alot time and money. Basicly the plants sat in stagnant water for 3 days which screwed with the roots leading to rot. I scrapped the grow and started over in soil.

This method seems like a winner to me. I see your point on the medium.
Soil won't hold enough nutrients for the entire cycle either. hmmmm. CoCo choir/Perlite 50/50 or SS mix #4 with 30% perlite might be good and hold water well.

I dont like to use timers and such on tables personaly. I like to give them what they need as they need it. The whole ebb n Gro system left a bad taste in my mouth. I prefer to fill up 55 gal tanks, adjust, and feed/water from the bottom. When the table is full of fresh nutes I like to let the ladies sit for about 20 minutes and then drain to waste. Thats my plan. I was growing 1 lb plants for a long time, but I see such a waste in electricity and the work involved in trimming and pruning and spraying and all that. Looking for a easier way. I was in 2 car accidents in the last year and my body is not what it used to be. :)

Friendly correction...I believe the original hempy was 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite.

Huh...I had always heard 50/50, 420fied's journal was the first time I came across 75/25, I'm glad to know that... I stand corrected!

Huh...I had always heard 50/50, 420fied's journal was the first time I came across 75/25, I'm glad to know that... I stand corrected!

Yeah...he calls for either a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. Here's the original unedited information by Hempy himself (I believe!):

"Hi every one i thort id add this system of growing i use and have used from the erly to mid 80s , As most of you that know me will all ready know that im a belive in simplicity and things that work and i only realy state facts that i have experencet from hands on.

I like the hempy bucket becouse of its simplicity and the price of the system (ITS FREE ) to make and has no moveing parts that can fail and once the plant has started its root system you can basicly water and forget it for 2 days or 3 depending on temps and you can grow eny strain from sativa to indica in it .

I basicly got the idear from my first hydro kit i ever got that was a tamato hydro kit and i found it realy easy to understand ,It was basicly an aquponic set up and the guy i had got it from i whent back a few years later telling him about my creation and how i got it from his idear and the look on his face and smile sed it all ,Iv spoken to a few people in the hydro industry about it and they all tell me it wont work it will couse root rot so on well there all rong becouse this method works and they say a picture is worth a 100 wards right lol.

I AM NOT SAYING THIS METHOD IS THE BEST BUT What i am saying is its a option and a easy cheep way to grow hydroponicly and nothing more, I have tryed a lot of methods and have all ways gone back to this.

To make a hempy bucket is simple all you need to do is this

Get your self a bucket eny colour but clear as you will end up with algy forming as the nutes react to the light .

The size of the bucket can very from 1 gal (4lt) to 5gal (20lt) ruffly i personaly like useing a 10 lt bucket and have had up to 14 oz yield from a single bucket but it depends on the strain and given phino .

Once you have your bucket then get a drill and drill a drain hole in the side of the bucket about 2 inch from the bottom , The drain hole can be around 7/16.

And the medium i use is perlite/vermiculite at around 3 to 4 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite.You can use volcanic rocks but personaly i found the perlite / vermiculite a lot better in meany ways.

All you need to do now is basicly add the rooted clone or seedling water with nutes and thats it,I would water it daily until the tap root and root system has headed down to the res but once you see a desent growth rate id then start to water every 2 days.

The only thing wrong with it is you need to hand water and you get run off from the drain hole thats it and as far as checking your PH well the only time you need to do that is when you mix your nutes i like useing a PH of 6.2

the diffrence (between this and DWC) is theres no parts no pumps nothing but a drain hole and a built in rez of about 2 to 3 inches and you hand water to top up the rez thats it in short , You need to look at the hempy bucket as i do in that it mimics nature in that soil has its layers and a water table low down were the tap root heads for thats wat this is in short.

Also its free to make and you have no risk of parts failing as theres no parts , you dont get root rot or do you have eny problem with nutrents needing ph ajusting once the plants are feed all you need to do is re water before the plant or plants run dry the only problem is the run off you will get from the drail hole thats it."

I'm all over this guy's. I will do a test run in my flower room right next to my soil grow. If it all pans out, I may have a new program. MANY thanks to you guys out here on this site. I am finding killer info all over this place.

that ballast still sitting on the fl?

only ask because a ballast that gets pretty warm durring operations shouldnt be sitting on a combustable surface (that green carpet)

also if for some reason your res spilt or something caused that carpet to soak up water then that ballast is right there to play in it, then you gotta buy another ballast.. just my 2 cents.. other then that your grow is fucking awesome man!!! loving the progress

that ballast still sitting on the fl?

only ask because a ballast that gets pretty warm durring operations shouldnt be sitting on a combustable surface (that green carpet)

also if for some reason your res spilt or something caused that carpet to soak up water then that ballast is right there to play in it, then you gotta buy another ballast.. just my 2 cents.. other then that your grow is fucking awesome man!!! loving the progress

This isn't my first rodeo. I've got it under control. Thanks for the kind words.

hey bro, just wanted to say thanks for this, I am close to completion of my first grow and this journal inspired me to not only join this site but start chopping up my empty diet pepsi 2 litres too, any tips you may be able to throw my way would be awesome, using general hydroponics now and am very excited to mimick your style yes on this one I am proud to plagerize (hope that's OK) using a 2x4 tent so this seems perfect 2 be able to pull 5 plants or so every week and have a steady even if smaller chop consistently. have a youtube video of my first cycle that's about done not good footage and as you can see I am learning about how different strains are as well as doing a little defoliation (way lait into flower but I saw a differance) thanks again
video-2012-01-11-22-08-06.mp4 - YouTube

hey bro, just wanted to say thanks for this, I am close to completion of my first grow and this journal inspired me to not only join this site but start chopping up my empty diet pepsi 2 litres too, any tips you may be able to throw my way would be awesome, using general hydroponics now and am very excited to mimick your style yes on this one I am proud to plagerize (hope that's OK) using a 2x4 tent so this seems perfect 2 be able to pull 5 plants or so every week and have a steady even if smaller chop consistently. have a youtube video of my first cycle that's about done not good footage and as you can see I am learning about how different strains are as well as doing a little defoliation (way lait into flower but I saw a differance) thanks again
video-2012-01-11-22-08-06.mp4 - YouTube

If you have questions PM me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom