Cure All Cure: 420 Magazine's Connoisseur Cure Technique

Vicki....In my experience you don't need to and shouldn't leave the apple for more than a few hours at a time. I did 4 oz of Durban poison last year and left the apple for over a day, turned the buds dark brown and needed to be exposed to air to let some of the moisture out. This season I used a slice about 3/8 of inch thick in a 3 liter glass mason jar for an hour and that seemed to do the trick. My advice use the apple slice but check it every once in a while.

I should have explained that I had cured it to a little on the dry side, so the 1 day thing was to bring the rh back up..
nice catch LilSteve.

Been there......done that and got the T-shirt. The grow part is easy compared to a proper harvest and cure. I almost hate it when it's time to harvest my plants, that's when the real work starts. Getting your buds cured properly is the hardest part growing your own meds.

damn straight.
I definitely concur. harvest time hurts.
literally.
without the proper cure, it's just weed...

great thread! i used to use grapfruit and orange peels cherry tree blossoms, ect. I always had to watch closely for mold and check 2-3x's a day. I have always used 1000ml canning jars and when i need to hydrate a little for the cure, i switch out lids, one with a 16penny (1/8"+) size nail hole in the middle. i take a cotton ball and get it wet, put it over the hole and cover the whole lid with foil. come back the next day and switch back to the solid lid. problem solved.

Absolutely NEVER use organic methods to re hydrate your curing buds.. If you need too do so.. buy the simple hydrate disc's on-line or at smoke shops.. If you cant do that.. a small clean one by one inch square of moistened paper towel, in the jar for 12 hours.. or less or more depending on you and your buds needs! Check it every few hours, if the paper is dried out.. re moisten and put it back in the jar till the buds are firm. Lay the jars on their sides and upside down, changing often.
This method works with out the possibility of destroying your hard won crops! Adding fruit skin or other organic options( celery, carrot etc) to your jar and will change the flavor, taste and look of your buds.. and possibly introduce mold spores.. Not worth it.. damp paper towels, very simple fix.

Nice product radogast! You did read my post? If you are unable to procure humidity disc's or balls etc.. a clean piece of paper towel works quite well. I don't often have to add moisture during or after curing.. but when I started this hobby, well lets just say.. I had a few incidents!

from what i saw on another thread on this site is that is u r jar curing and have a rh meter that can fit in the jar . put the bud in the jar and seal it up wait a few hrs and check it it its above 70% then it needs to dry for for a few more hrs . once u can get the jar to read under 70 % u can begin the cure . u want to burp the jars a few times a day until u get a steady rh of 65 . then u can cure for months sealed..

this si not my info . and with this info i still fked up my cure .everything was going great .. outside was drying and the inside was sticky .. i checked thee rh in a jar and it was 75 . here is were i fucked up.. i was getting impatient and put a fan blowing into the closet for a few hrs .. came back and i was devastated the buds were super super dry now .. i put them in the jar and the were like 63%. crispy..has an ok taste and smell but it was way better the day before when i sampled a bud .. the fan killed my cure.. i read a guy above say he dreads harvest and cure .. i am so with u . let me grow it and then someone else can focus in the cure ... teamwork

from what i saw on another thread on this site is that is u r jar curing and have a rh meter that can fit in the jar . put the bud in the jar and seal it up wait a few hrs and check it it its above 70% then it needs to dry for for a few more hrs . once u can get the jar to read under 70 % u can begin the cure . u want to burp the jars a few times a day until u get a steady rh of 65 . then u can cure for months sealed..

this si not my info . and with this info i still fked up my cure .everything was going great .. outside was drying and the inside was sticky .. i checked thee rh in a jar and it was 75 . here is were i fucked up.. i was getting impatient and put a fan blowing into the closet for a few hrs .. came back and i was devastated the buds were super super dry now .. i put them in the jar and the were like 63%. crispy..has an ok taste and smell but it was way better the day before when i sampled a bud .. the fan killed my cure.. i read a guy above say he dreads harvest and cure .. i am so with u . let me grow it and then someone else can focus in the cure ... teamwork

Umm , ok where to begin.. ?

I guess the best thing I can offer here is this.. TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN DRYING AND CURING!! You can't rush it man!

As someone wiser than I posted on this site once " Why spend 3 plus months, all the time money and energy growing this awesome plant , only to rush one of the most important steps" Ok, I'm sure I paraphrased that.. but you get the drift, right?

Oh if you find that you have over dried, either during cure or at any time really.. take a tiny corner of paper towel, moisten it.. not wet, dripping.. just moist.. place in the cure with said dry buds.. leave over night.. check in morning.. still dry?. do it again ,checking on and off till to the desired humidity..

You cool now? Good.. good luck always!!

okay, i am new. i have never cured and i just started to harvest im on my second plant. now, i have grown before, but i have never had to harvest the crop myself and never cured either. im reading these posts and im afraid now. i was pretty confidant on what i was doing, now not so sure.
my buds are not many, they are airy, but they have a TON of crystals. ive been told by many that its the most crystals they have ever seen (was feeding with brown sugar, did the trick). anyway, so now i have had them out as of today after i trimmeed them (as i seen in many videos) for 4 days, and teh first day it was left on and hung up, so five total days its been out but trimed and sitting out for 4 days. it seems pretty dry and you can bend stems but not totally dry....
i was gonna do in jars for the first week open up for two hours and maybe a little at night (if i think it needs it) and continue to do this for the first week. after that, i was gonna air them out once a day for 30 min. does this seem right? safe???? and when i air them out, i should dump them onto something *gonna use what i trimmed on, its been cleaned and steryl*, but when dumping them out, wouldnt crystals fall off? anyway, other than the falling off part, is the rest of what i said good to do? will this work. i saw a guy suggest 2 and half hours every day, but didnt say how long and for how long he kept in jars. another said 30 min twice a day for first week. another said 15 min once a day for first two weeks!!! so i was gonna go 2 hours a day, first week... and see where they look from there. but im not sure what exactly im even looking for.

okay, i am new. i have never cured and i just started to harvest im on my second plant. now, i have grown before, but i have never had to harvest the crop myself and never cured either. im reading these posts and im afraid now. i was pretty confidant on what i was doing, now not so sure.
my buds are not many, they are airy, but they have a TON of crystals. ive been told by many that its the most crystals they have ever seen (was feeding with brown sugar, did the trick). anyway, so now i have had them out as of today after i trimmeed them (as i seen in many videos) for 4 days, and teh first day it was left on and hung up, so five total days its been out but trimed and sitting out for 4 days. it seems pretty dry and you can bend stems but not totally dry....
i was gonna do in jars for the first week open up for two hours and maybe a little at night (if i think it needs it) and continue to do this for the first week. after that, i was gonna air them out once a day for 30 min. does this seem right? safe???? and when i air them out, i should dump them onto something *gonna use what i trimmed on, its been cleaned and steryl*, but when dumping them out, wouldnt crystals fall off? anyway, other than the falling off part, is the rest of what i said good to do? will this work. i saw a guy suggest 2 and half hours every day, but didnt say how long and for how long he kept in jars. another said 30 min twice a day for first week. another said 15 min once a day for first two weeks!!! so i was gonna go 2 hours a day, first week... and see where they look from there. but im not sure what exactly im even looking for.

I vote to leave them in the jars when you air out. I like to put the largest buds in last so they have maximum air exposure.

Your plan sounds solid.

Do listen for a distinct crack sound when bending branches during the drying stage.

After the first two weeks of burping the jars, we tend to start smoking/sampling so the jar is open every day or two anyway. If it were just me smoking on weekends, our longer term storage, I am using the Boveda packs to maintain humidity. I'd still burp the jars once or twice a week for the first month of cure.

I was cleaning out my storage closet to arrange it for the most recent harvest and found this little jewel sitting at the back behind the remainder of my 2014 jarred harvest. She was in this bag in a 4 oz herb jar.
She is the final bud from my 2013 TGA Querkle grow. So I went back and viewed the pictures of her grow, wow, I am ready to do her again.
Last night was my G/F's and my 3rd aniversery of being together so we did a few bowls of her. Very nice cure as she was still very pliable, broke up into pieces not powder, had a wonderful burn, taste and high.

Here are a couple of pics of the final bud, eariler pics of her buds, and one pic taken just before chop.
Pre harvest, just before chop 12/9/13
20131209_181831.jpg

Vacuum sealing the mason jars after drying and burping the sealed container for two weeks. Continued to burp the jars weekly for about a month and a half.
20140101_134428.jpg

A bud after 5 months in vacuum jars
20140419_214415.jpg

Loaded bowl, 5/5/15
20150506_080951.jpg

Ready to burn
20150506_081028.jpg

5/5/15 Last of the Querkle, Note the purple coloration is still visible even after all this time.
20150506_081051.jpg

Going to miss her.

GR

We all like to experiment and try to economize by trying mates suggested re-hydrating techniques but if its gonna cost you even an Oz of your stash to mold then its false economy, I like to experiment but I wont take any chance on losing my nugs, if dispensaries only use Boveda humidity packs why try anything else?
They are precise two way humidity control packs which can't be beat, no paper towels or peel of any kind has that two way precision to maintain the perfect 62% RH needed.
As you can see from the picture below, they come in a variety of moisture controls levels but well worth the peace of mind.

DSC_5473.jpg

Don't take the chance!

Red58

We all like to experiment and try to economize by trying mates suggested re-hydrating techniques but if its gonna cost you even an Oz of your stash to mold then its false economy, I like to experiment but I wont take any chance on losing my nugs, if dispensaries only use Boveda humidity packs why try anything else?
They are precise two way humidity control packs which can't be beat, no paper towels or peel of any kind has that two way precision to maintain the perfect 62% RH needed.
As you can see from the picture below, they come in a variety of moisture controls levels but well worth the peace of mind.

DSC_5473.jpg

Don't take the chance!

Red58

Red if you look at the pics of the Querkle in the jars you will see the Boveda pack in the jar. I love em!
GR

Back
Top Bottom