Dank's Adventures In Dankland

The smell isn't nearly as bad as people think it is......of course thats just my opinion. I have seen other members complain like it was the worse thing they had ever encountered. Ms Stank don't mind it....she gets the wiff every once in a while but even to her the positives FAR outweigh the negatives (that being having to take down the lights and the smell).

Doing it in a shed, with a humidifier on will be fine. I think most of the sulfur burners are rated for about 750 to 1000 square foot of coverage so you will be fine. If the sheds bigger, just adjust your burns for longer. I also like to keep a small fan blowing just to keep air moving in my enclosed space. Don't exhaust it...just keep the air moving.

So can you only burn in veg you wouldn't want that in your flower tent do you
I do my burns through day 50+ in flower with no issues at all. My main reason for continuing to do them in flower is PM. Even though I don't find any sulfur smells or tastes on my buds , I would much rather have that then lose a quarter or half a harvest due to PM. Since starting and doing the burns, I haven't seen a single sign of PM.

I lost about half my harvest this winter due to PM (My first time ever dealing with that shit) and that really set me back big time.....last time that will happen.

3-4 sulfur burns will have you mite free. I had the same thing.......I used to check all my plants for spider mites and other pests and didn't see anything. Low and behold a clone from someone had hemp russet mites. They are much smaller than everything else so I didn't even know what to look for. I was horrified when I found then on my plants and I was even more horrified that I had given them to @bobrown14 . Everywhere I read, all I heard was ditch everything, burn everything, start over......its impossible to get rid of them. I even burned a few plants that were just covered in them because I was paranoid (now I would just do the burns and have 100% confidence that I will be free from pests in a month)

Then I found some resources from outdoor greenhouse growers regarding sulfur burns and hemp russet mites. They had tried everything I was trying with no luck. Then they did the burns. Suddenly I had hope. They were also using SNS 209 who happens to be a sponsor here. I was lucky to have received a big ass jug of it from the POTY win so I started watering that in on top of the sulfur burns. Its basically rosemary oil which when watered into the soil, becomes part of your plants systemic defense. The rosemary oil causes internal issues on any pests that eat your shit and inhibits their reproductive capacity. So the dual approach seemed to work for all the commercial cannabis greenhouse growers....why not give it a try. I am SO SO SO SO SO glad I did.

I wish I had a greenhouse where I could do burns on my outdoor girls. If I get a greenhouse, I can promise you I will invest in one or two more burners and I will make it a part of my outdoor routine as well. I won't stop doing burns.....even when I know I am pest free. Its like a bullet proof vest for growing.....I know as long as I keep doing them, I won't have to worry about spider mites, hemp russet mites, leaf hoppers, or PM.

I currently do my burns through mid to late flower (stop around day 50 of flower) and haven't had it impact the product in the slightest. I haven't had anyone comment on any scent or taste stemming from the burns.
Thanks for that info very informative. I am like you my wife don't partake at all. If she can't smell it she don't care not sure how that's Smell would go over. My concern is even if you can't taste any difference in the finished product. Would there be any health concerns ingesting sulfur. I smoke and take edibles daily.

Well I already had another tent ordered before I realized what was going on. So I will clean the bloom tent thoroughly and put it away. If I stay in the same area it'll be one less thing to worry about.

I dig the discussion of this shitty topic. At least it's a learning experience. Hopefully for more than myself.

I wanted to say that when I took the clone it was Not rooted. Was just couple small cuttings with stems wrapped up in wet paper towels. I wanted to let everyone know that No soil was brought in. It just goes to show how easy these MF ers are able to be transferred place to place

Thanks for that info very informative. I am like you my wife don't partake at all. If she can't smell it she don't care not sure how that's Smell would go over. My concern is even if you can't taste any difference in the finished product. Would there be any health concerns ingesting sulfur. I smoke and take edibles daily.
I can't speak to the health concerns over it....no real background on the matter. Its not a huge concern of mine anyways as I do bud washes. Everything gets dunked and swished and rinsed. I feel far less concerned smoking my buds after sulfur burns (even up to day 50) than I do smoking anything sprayed with stuff from bottles. Its the 5th most common element found on earth.

I would recommend if its a real concern, seek someone with an appropriate background (and I don't even know what field that would be other than a MD). Wish I could give you a certified warm and fuzzy.....but I can't. I can tell you this....sulfur is used a dietary supplement for people with sulfur deficiencies. Our bodies need it in certain quantities.....but is that in the same form as the residue left on the plants?? I don't know. Spend some time on the ol' interweb and perhaps you can find the answer bud. Wish I could help more!

That's why I wanted to stress the point of the small clippings with no dirt. Hopefully it will help someone down the line.

I have plenty of erb to get me by. Hopefully we can all learn from my poor choices
Don't beat yourself up......you should only do that if you passed on infested cuttings on to other growers. I joke honestly....but thats what I did. I didn't care that I had them myself....but I was extremely distraught over the fact I had given them to a buddy, even though I was thorough in my inspections for pests. I checked anything in or out of my garden, was careful not to visit my tents if I had been working outdoors at all. I only went into my grow areas after a shower...and I still managed to catch and give away a pest I didn't know how to look for. I was looking with my little loupe but it wasn't powerful enough. Whats that old saying....shit happens? Despite my best efforts, I still screwed the pooch.

But you know what....I am so thankful for that painful lesson because I learned about how to check for THOSE pests as well as the invaluable lesson of sulfur burns. Now I just don't worry about pests or PM. There aren't going to be any, at least not spider mites or hemp russet mites. I can't speak to their effectiveness against aphids or other things....never really dealt with them indoors. It does seem to help against leaf hoppers and other insects that munch on leaves. I have some smaller plants that I have been letting grow outdoors, but I bring into my sulfur burn tent for a weekly burn. Their leaves stay untouched by pests while the leaves on my plants too big to do burns on are getting munched on by more different kind of bugs than I have ever seen before. I don't find bugs on the plants I do sulfur burns, even though they are sitting next to or surrounded by plants with all sorts of creepy crawlies. The plants with sulfur burns look like fake plants because there aren't any marks anywhere on the leaves.

You couldn't pay me to stop doing burns in my garden again. And you know what....and more its more important for me....growing is fun again. I love opening my tents, instead of fearing it. For my peace of mind, its worth its weight in gold!

I remember @Skybound was using sulfur mixed up in his hydro. Said it really brings out the flavor.

I'll wait a month or two then start a pile of seeds. My 24 x Chernobyl seeds were a really good cross. All 3 I grew everyone loved.

One was super frosty with a sweet lemon flavor. All had dense buds with no nanners. I'll probably crack at least a dozen of those looking for that pheno.

This journal will probably come to a end. I'll start another one when I get the grow going again.

Thanks again for all the input and following along. From the good plants to the bugs it's always a adventure in Dankland :D

Sulfur in the ferts is a different form than what's burned to deter pests, but the sulfur in the ferts makes the smoke taste a lot sweeter and I find this to be good for citrusy strains but not so much for the piney ones.

Damn sorry to hear aboit pest problem i just got off mine few months ago. I been burning sulfur for about a year but i definately would never burn sulfur in your house lol. Its toxic. Also i would never ever ever burn sulfur in flower bro . Youll taste it on your buds most definanately. Also its really hard on the plants it burns them. Most sulfur burners are used to cover i think 2000 square feet for industrial warehouse type shit. It was never intended to use in your small garden. Its awesome to use before you have plants in a room to clean out your equipment. Best thing you can do is chuck evrrything if possible if its that bad and just start over. Id hate to lose some special strain but in the long run youd be spending more time and stressing over keeping up on those old moms etc. I use to burn it in both my rooms. Weed came out lousy and tasted like nasty meh. You cant even oil that crap after cause the sulfur mixes into your hash and it tastes like crap.

If its that kind i would definately not use it in flower. I couldnt find nething smaller i think thats standard size. It works great for pm. I spoke to a few hydro suppliers and they dont reccomend it in flower at all i tried it and i seen some burn and the weed was horrible i litterally had like a pound of it in a few gallon jugs and it just sat there. Very harsh tasting. Ended up making dry ice hash with it and it wasnt too good. I know im not the foremost professional but ive had horrible experiences with using it in flower and vege . And if its a good burner itll totally make your area smell like shit for awhile few days maybe a week. It also gets on everythong furniture appliances everything heh.

Attachments

• 15953525156943252290329831891545.jpg
    15953525156943252290329831891545.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom