Dealing with moldy grass

Photoslave

So I harvested some nice flowers. I hung to dry and all was cool except here in Flo the 95% humidity. Even with a.c it's difficult. Fast foreward, the dried bud turned an off brownish green and smelled wierd of mold. With magnifying glass it's real fine white webbing fucking mold. But the bud loaded with trichomes. I'm pretty sure this happened after cut during cure. The smell is undeniable moldy mildew. I tried to salvage a piece that looked good. Put it in bong, took a hit, thinking okay taste wierd but smokable, then seconds later vomit coughing. So this is about the salvage plan if possible. Please input guys. So I took small mason jar of dry moldy cannabis. Filled 3/4 with water and rest with hydrogen peroxide. Shook it vigoursly for a bit. Got all foamy and bubbly, expanded a bit and swelled out of container a little. Gave 30 min sit time i think 15 would work. Still smelled like moldy bud. Filtered out nasty brown green water. Next i filled again with 91 iso. Shook and put in freezer for a day. Out of freeze into coffee filter and evap bowl. Still smells moldy. How could that be? Please explain. Why do docters swab the spot with alchohol before a shot if it's not killing bad stuff? I have iso hash experience too. This batch i didn't freeze because of the peroxide step. So now i have iso wash that smells moldy still. My idea is after evap of iso put in some glugs of 151 everclear dissolve again. Put in freezer and hope for some kind of particulation after a few days, filter again and maybe end up with something to dab. Whew. Thoughts please.

Here's what ya do: Get a big, black trash bag. Hefty will do, but a contractor bag is even better. Grab a stack of newspaper pages and wad each one up individually. Then do the same with a roll of paper towels. Make a nest in the trash bag with a mixture of these. Place the bud into the sack, then fill with the rest of the mixture of wadded up newspaper and paper towels - the goal is to have the bud be in the center, but it is not overly important to be exact. Now tie the sack securely shut.

Finally...

Pitch the sack into the nearest dumpster and walk away. Friends don't let friends smoke/consume moldy bud.

So I harvested some nice flowers. I hung to dry and all was cool except here in Flo the 95% humidity. Even with a.c it's difficult. Fast foreward, the dried bud turned an off brownish green and smelled wierd of mold. With magnifying glass it's real fine white webbing fucking mold. But the bud loaded with trichomes. I'm pretty sure this happened after cut during cure. The smell is undeniable moldy mildew. I tried to salvage a piece that looked good. Put it in bong, took a hit, thinking okay taste wierd but smokable, then seconds later vomit coughing. So this is about the salvage plan if possible. Please input guys. So I took small mason jar of dry moldy cannabis. Filled 3/4 with water and rest with hydrogen peroxide. Shook it vigoursly for a bit. Got all foamy and bubbly, expanded a bit and swelled out of container a little. Gave 30 min sit time i think 15 would work. Still smelled like moldy bud. Filtered out nasty brown green water. Next i filled again with 91 iso. Shook and put in freezer for a day. Out of freeze into coffee filter and evap bowl. Still smells moldy. How could that be? Please explain. Why do docters swab the spot with alchohol before a shot if it's not killing bad stuff? I have iso hash experience too. This batch i didn't freeze because of the peroxide step. So now i have iso wash that smells moldy still. My idea is after evap of iso put in some glugs of 151 everclear dissolve again. Put in freezer and hope for some kind of particulation after a few days, filter again and maybe end up with something to dab. Whew. Thoughts please.
Yeah you really need to do a double wash first wash with 25% isopropyl alcohol mix then lukewarm water don't go too hot or cold on the water or you lose trichromes then you do a vinegar and baking soda wash maybe a half cup or n lemon juice and baking soda and use half a cup of each in a little tub for instance in that rinses don't need to take more than 5 minutes to switch it around slowly and do a regular water Rinse and you should be good I've never had problems after that and I do mean I took some way way moldy weed that a guy was just going to waste and I did that to it and then made a good oil out of it it was good. Hopefully if you have that on your weed while it's still growing in your harvesting powdery mildew can be washed off with just hose water make sure to shake it after hosing it off so that it's almost dry.

Yeah you really need to do a double wash first wash with 25% isopropyl alcohol mix then lukewarm water don't go too hot or cold on the water or you lose trichromes then you do a vinegar and baking soda wash maybe a half cup or n lemon juice and baking soda and use half a cup of each in a little tub for instance in that rinses don't need to take more than 5 minutes to switch it around slowly and do a regular water Rinse and you should be good I've never had problems after that and I do mean I took some way way moldy weed that a guy was just going to waste and I did that to it and then made a good oil out of it it was good. Hopefully if you have that on your weed while it's still growing in your harvesting powdery mildew can be washed off with just hose water make sure to shake it after hosing it off so that it's almost dry.
If I did that type of bud washing (double wash using those ingredients) would I have less chance of getting mold/botrytis during the drying phase?

I would have thought that the wet buds (due to bud washing) would take longer to dry increasing the chances of mold, or no?

If I did that type of bud washing (double wash using those ingredients) would I have less chance of getting mold/botrytis during the drying phase?

I would have thought that the wet buds (due to bud washing) would take longer to dry increasing the chances of mold, or no?
Once you have rinsed or destroyed any pathogens you can dry with a fan, then let it hang
A dip in H2O2 is enough

The probability is that ISO will most likely put at least some of the trichomes into solution. But more importantly, even if you kill the mold, the Aflatoxin, produced by the mold/fungus is still there. Even the heat of smoking it won't destroy the toxin (needs over 300 degrees Celsius!). Aflatoxin, besides being toxic, is also a carcinogen (might not get you today, but in 10 years????)! Moldy weed needs to be destroyed, smoking it, making oils, or other edibles is just not safe!

The probability is that ISO will most likely put at least some of the trichomes into solution. But more importantly, even if you kill the mold, the Aflatoxin, produced by the mold/fungus is still there. Even the heat of smoking it won't destroy the toxin (needs over 300 degrees Celsius!). Aflatoxin, besides being toxic, is also a carcinogen (might not get you today, but in 10 years????)! Moldy weed needs to be destroyed, smoking it, making oils, or other edibles is just not safe!

^^^THIS!^^^

Okay I'll do more research into H202 and bud washing.
I started washing buds a few harvests ago and won't look back. There are quite a few articles out there, i have to look em up every time as i forget the exact quantities, but the basic jist is use 3 containers, 2 with plain water (RO if possible) and one with a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice (something like a quarter cup each per 5 gallons). You can either dip straight in to the lemon juice/baking soda mix then rinse it off in the other two buckets, or give it a rinse first, then lemon juice/baking soda, then rinse. The proof is in the liquid as to how well it works. Hang em to drip dry and dry as normal. As long as your drying room has the proper conditions, then you're all set. The only advice I would give is to consider using much larger buckets than you think you need. Last harvest I thought I'd just give 5 gallon buckets a try. I had 4 plants that covered about a 4x6 area that ended up taking me 8 hours to cut, wash, and hang. I couldn't believe it. Next go, I'll be going back to 55 gallon containers. Dunk and swirl the plant as a whole or cut in half, so much faster.

I started washing buds a few harvests ago and won't look back. There are quite a few articles out there, i have to look em up every time as i forget the exact quantities, but the basic jist is use 3 containers, 2 with plain water (RO if possible) and one with a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice (something like a quarter cup each per 5 gallons). You can either dip straight in to the lemon juice/baking soda mix then rinse it off in the other two buckets, or give it a rinse first, then lemon juice/baking soda, then rinse. The proof is in the liquid as to how well it works. Hang em to drip dry and dry as normal. As long as your drying room has the proper conditions, then you're all set. The only advice I would give is to consider using much larger buckets than you think you need. Last harvest I thought I'd just give 5 gallon buckets a try. I had 4 plants that covered about a 4x6 area that ended up taking me 8 hours to cut, wash, and hang. I couldn't believe it. Next go, I'll be going back to 55 gallon containers. Dunk and swirl the plant as a whole or cut in half, so much faster.
I grow quite a lot of plants so my dry room gets quite full, what I was concerned about is a dry room full of wet buds taking too long to dry and getting mold. That's why I'm wondering if lemon and baking soda kills botrytis spores?

I grow quite a lot of plants so my dry room gets quite full, what I was concerned about is a dry room full of wet buds taking too long to dry and getting mold. That's why I'm wondering if lemon and baking soda kills botrytis spores?

it can, but you can pick them up again even in the dry room if the conditions are right.

Back
Top Bottom