DobeWan's First Grow! LA Confidential & 24K Gold - LED - 3x3 - Coco

Yeah, the shrinkage was pretty noticeable. I jarred after 10 days, when the buds were showing 65% in jars, but I actually think I should have held out. The buds aren't truly dry yet - I'm not getting any condensation on the jars, and I'm burping to be safe, but the buds were just a little damper than my preference yesterday. They gummed up the grinder more than they would have if properly dried.

So my 24Ks will get the full 2 weeks, while the LAs will now stay in jars with 62% Bovedas.

As long as you found no mold in ten days, then doing a full 2 weeks should work. It sounds like the cure on your end was still wet in the middle, you might have to burp them a few times a day for a few days before trying the Boveda, read it has only a 5% +/- window to be effective.

How did yours finish out Penny? You were a couple weeks ahead!

The 24K Gold is dried after 9 days. I jarred it for an hour with a sensor and got 60% RH. I didn't realize the fridge had gone lower than recommended RH for a couple of days, and I guess that sped the process. So I jarred it up.

I busted up a bud to make sure and confirmed it was good to go. So of course I had to try the bud. Wow. It's a strong, balanced hybrid. Reminds me of Super Lemon OG from DNA, but orange tasting instead of lemon. I tried #2 which I assume is the more Tangie pheno. Obviously my issues that affected yield and potency affected 24K2 less than the LA Confidentials because although it's a different strain with different effects, the 24K is clearly stronger.

Altogether very impressed with my first taste of 24K Gold!

As long as you found no mold in ten days, then doing a full 2 weeks should work. It sounds like the cure on your end was still wet in the middle, you might have to burp them a few times a day for a few days before trying the Boveda, read it has only a 5% +/- window to be effective.

How did yours finish out Penny? You were a couple weeks ahead!

I couldnt be happier with low and slow. Im using 65% bovedas in my jars for final curing but buds are really sticky and hard to grind/breakup. I may switch to 62% bovedas and see if they help.

I'm a longtime 62% user and love it. I find the bud texture at 62% to be perfect. I use the 500ml jars, one to a jar.

24K Gold #1 packs the same punch as #2, but sets in a little stonier after the head rush. #2 stayed a little more in the head. Now that I've smelled and sampled I'm pretty sure I got the pheno Feral grew in the spring. Still a pretty well balanced hybrid but more on the indica side than #2.

Now that they've been in jars a couple of days I figured it was safe to take a final dry weight - or do you guys think I should wait a little longer to make sure? I haven't seen any condensation on the jars whatsoever, and it actually feels like the 24Ks had dried a little too much and rehydrated a little overnight.

Now that I've sampled and reported, I figure the final dry weight is the last step as I don't have an immediate plan to use the trim - so it may be a little while before I could report those outcomes to the journal.

24K Gold #1 packs the same punch as #2, but sets in a little stonier after the head rush. #2 stayed a little more in the head. Now that I've smelled and sampled I'm pretty sure I got the pheno Feral grew in the spring. Still a pretty well balanced hybrid but more on the indica side than #2.

Now that they've been in jars a couple of days I figured it was safe to take a final dry weight - or do you guys think I should wait a little longer to make sure? I haven't seen any condensation on the jars whatsoever, and it actually feels like the 24Ks had dried a little too much and rehydrated a little overnight.

Now that I've sampled and reported, I figure the final dry weight is the last step as I don't have an immediate plan to use the trim - so it may be a little while before I could report those outcomes to the journal.

I don't suppose the stalks snap when ready in the refrigerator eh?

That is all good info, I have been taking them out for 1/2-1 hr in the AM when I tend to the others just to give them a taste of dryer air after I flip them.

No alfalfa smell yet like air drying, they actually have a piney, sweet mint smell that is quite pleasant,:yummy: the fluffy's are probably 50& cured, the dense is still pretty wet, but the colors are great!

The only thing I would add to those of you that want to try this is put you fridge in a room that has a exhaust fan, because it will stink up the house.:ganjamon:

Just curious, they might not. Is that the way it should be done penny. Never thought about that .

It was recommended in the Low & Slow thread, but I don't think there are any wrong answers with this - everyone is still learning the ropes!

That is all good info, I have been taking them out for 1/2-1 hr in the AM when I tend to the others just to give them a taste of dryer air after I flip them.

No alfalfa smell yet like air drying, they actually have a piney, sweet mint smell that is quite pleasant,:yummy: the fluffy's are probably 50& cured, the dense is still pretty wet, but the colors are great!

The only thing I would add to those of you that want to try this is put you fridge in a room that has a exhaust fan, because it will stink up the house.:ganjamon:

Mine contained the smell pretty well, but when you open the fridge, look out!

Alright folks, it looks like this journal is coming to an end! These ladies were full of surprises, right down to the finish...

FINAL DRY WEIGHT

LA Confidential 1 - 18.0g
LA Confidential 2 - 19.7g

24K Gold 1 - 27.2g
24K Gold 2 - 30.1g

TOTAL: 95g - 3.35oz

A few thoughts in closing, if you'll indulge me!

I'm really surprised about the yield, and have no idea how to explain it. Based on my wet weight, I expected to be around 70g total. Instead of the dried bud ending up at 20% of wet weight, I was around 25% on the LA Confidentials, and 25-30% on my 24Ks. And if there's one thing I DO know about the growing process as a noob, it's what dried bud feels like, so I'm convinced this is it. I've bought far damper bud many times over the years than this. The LAs grind exactly like my LP bud after 9 days in the fridge and 4 in a bottle. The 24Ks grind slightly worse than my LP bud, but so too did the LAs after only their first day in the jar, so I've been opening the jars once daily to be safe.

LA1 and LA2 have a really similar buzz, almost exactly the same. They have a little more in the head than I expected up front, but creep into a mellow, relaxed indica stone. This might be the best anti-anxiety med I've ever had - I had a rough week last week and it pushed every sour thought out of my head and made me feel calm and relaxed. It's not as potent as I'd hoped, but given 24K's potency, I believe my issues in mid flower affected both yield and potency. The 24Ks weren't affected nearly as badly and are much stronger. That said, it still does the job and I'm betting the LA2 I'm flowering now is going to up the potency a fair bit. I will definitely grow this again in the future, but from seed, and with the benefit of experience.

24K1 and 24K2 have a different buzz - it's very similar, but one leans a little more indica. 24K2 is a very balanced hybrid. The Tangie makes for a strong head high, the Kosher Kush for a strong body high. 24K1 is a little more on the indica side - the 15-30 minute creep makes it stonier. Both have a strong orange smell and taste like they smell. 24K2 tastes like tangerines, almost concentrated, with no real other taste or smell. 24K1 has a nasty edge to it, like the oranges went bad! It has already come down from that a little throughout drying and now curing, and it didn't taste "gross" when I sampled it yesterday - just not the pure orange of 24K2. The taste of Feral's got better and better over time as it cured and mine likely will too. The high is long lasting, and 1 filled Volcano chamber did me fine for 2 sessions and ~4 hours of effects, followed by going to sleep the instant my head hit the pillow.

I will admit to a little bit of disappointment in the LAs - their issues taught me a whole lot, but this is one case where I'd have been happy not to have had the learning experience. That said with a new LA2 doing great so far and a month and a half from finishing, I'll get over the disappointment quickly, and still have the benefit of the mistakes I've learned from. And I'll still get plenty of use out of the LAs. Even if it's not the most potent representation of the strain, it's a great strain and one whose attributes will serve me very well medically. And perhaps I'll eventually make oil out a portion of the trim and flower given that both my wife and I will benefit from the oil. If I get an ounce or two out of my new LA2 it'll make that decision a lot easier.

I'm not disappointed in the 24Ks. Considering my LA problems I did pretty well with the 24Ks. My yield is respectable for a first run, and the potency is on par with the best LP hybrid I've tasted (Super Lemon OG from Tw**d) and with any dispensary hybrids I've bought. This is proof that even a bumbling beginner can grow bud that is as good what they can buy (at least in places without recreational legality) with the right genetics and research + advice.

Maybe the best part about the 24K? My preferred pheno was also the better yielding, and I have a young mother of it in my veg tent doing well, and 3 flowering in a tiny corner of my flower tent. I still have seeds to take a shot at getting the 3rd pheno eventually. So a strain I'm impressed with is at my fingertips for the foreseeable future. That's a great outcome of my first grow.

Overall, I'm very happy with my first grow. I gained insight and experience that are paying immediate dividends. I put together a setup that I have proven works for my needs and that allows me significant flexibility and room for improvement. I got some great bud that will help me medically while also being enjoyable. And I met many fine people who gave me help, consolation, laughter, encouragement, support, conversation, and much more.

I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who stopped by my journal at any point throughout this grow. Your presence here has been truly appreciated. Your kindness, good humour, and advice benefited me greatly! I'll always be grateful for it.

I'll be continuing on in my perpetual setup in my new journal! Check my signature for the link, and I hope to see you all over there as well!

:thanks::thumb::peacetwo::thanks::allgood::volcano-smiley:

Back
Top Bottom