DobeWan's Perpetual Adventure

That Chocolope is looking delicious there Dobe!

Thanks UA! I'm really looking forward to getting her down and getting a taste.

Thinking hard about my next batch of seeds too, and I have to admit, Green Crack and Blue Dream are big contenders. I was thinking of a "colours" theme, and running Green Crack, Blueberry, White Widow, and Purple Envy.

Time for the big weekly veg tent update!

veg-20171022-all-001-1050x700.jpg

The last time I showed you these ladies, last Saturday, I had just started in on some focused defoliation and training. After doing too little in previous weeks, and crowding the plants into too small a space, my goal was to give them some proper room and training, and to line up a nice even canopy before the flip to flower. These ladies are all going into the flower tent 5 or 6 days from now, when I chop down what's in the flower tent (Chocolope and 3 little 24K Golds).

I'm happy to say the training has been going well. Throughout the week I've been picking away at it and have both Royal Gorilla and RQS Critical in good shape for the flip. But Candida and Violator Kush were in the back of the veg tent all week and got less attention. They were due for more dramatic work this weekend to ensure everyone is ready.

veg-20171022-all-002-1050x700.jpg

My training was generally a mix of defoliation and bending tops to slow growth and expose others to light. All of the plants got a taste of it, however Candida with her 4 long tops probably got it most dramatically. Violator Kush was an interesting case this week as well. I had to cut one of the 4 main tops off fairly far down the branch. At one point it deformed, seemingly when I accidentally had the fan blowing on it during 1 day cycle (the oscillation wasn't working and it stayed fixed on VK). All subsequent grown from that top came out deformed and its overall growth was significantly stunted. I decided to cut my losses and let the plant focus energy elsewhere.

Violator Kush

Veg: 58 days

veg-20171022-VK-58V-001-1050x700.jpg

Violator Kush's shape looks far too vertical given my removal of a main top. She also didn't get the level of training I would have liked. I would prefer not to do as much defoliation at one time as I did, but I thought it was important to do as much as possible now so that she's in great shape going into the flip.

veg-20171022-VK-58V-002-1050x700.jpg

I thought as well that I could improve the canopy a little. I'll illustrate my thinking here. I saw the canopy at two levels. A top level...

veg-20171022-VK-58V-002-top-1050x700.jpg

And a lower level...

veg-20171022-VK-58V-002-canopy-1050x700.jpg

So, with some gentle but firm bending of the higher tops, I was able to make the canopy become more uniform.

veg-20171022-VK-58V-003-1050x700.jpg

These tops will recover before lights out at 2:00, but the process of bending will slow their growth enough, and start them from a slightly lower point, that it gives the canopy below better exposure to the light and brings them in line with one another.

veg-20171022-VK-58V-004-1050x700.jpg

I've used this technique already on the RQS plants, as you'll see, with some good success on getting them ready.

Candida

veg-20171022-CD-58V-001-1050x700.jpg

Candida's become a little bit overgrown as I've been slower to defoliate her than any of the other plants, given her thin, wispy growth. But it has gotten to the point where that has become problematic. Recall how she looked a week ago - the interior that was fairly bare has become a mass of growth as everything reaches for the light.

veg-20171022-CD-58V-002-1050x700.jpg

That meant more aggressive defoliation than perhaps I should have in one session, but again, she needed to be ready as early as possible and I wanted to allow her the week to recover without going too crazy with further defoliation.

veg-20171022-CD-58V-003-1050x700.jpg

She's had the most bending of her tops to get things lined up, and its been a slow process over the last few days, but we're getting there. I just want the highest possible chances for her to be successful. A little lower growth on her is no big deal given how thin the fans are - light should penetrate lower.

veg-20171022-CD-58V-004-1050x700.jpg

She's getting there, but I'm definitely not a fan of her structure relative to what I'm used to.

Royal Gorilla

veg-20171022-RG-58V-001-1050x700.jpg

Royal Gorilla has been all over the place throughout this grow, and was the slow starter of the bunch, but after a good recovery around pot up and a good response to defoliation and training, she's looking pretty good for the flip.

veg-20171022-RG-58V-002-1050x700.jpg

The weird angle of the stalk and the early struggles to get a decent shape have long since been forgotten. In the last week, I've really kept her clean and worked on getting the canopy lined up. It's pretty close, but I'll continue with minor adjustments like these as I go through the next few days to get things lined up perfectly, and then just maintain through stretch to keep things even.

So for today, all it takes is a little subtle work to the tops that aren't even...

veg-20171022-RG-58V-003-1050x700.jpg

And pretty quickly things are lined up nicely. Tomorrow, I'll do the same little maintenance as required to keep things lined up.

veg-20171022-RG-58V-004-1050x700.jpg

Critical

Veg: 50 days

veg-20171022-RC-58V-001-1050x700.jpg

The other RQS plant in the lineup is the champ from start to finish. I hope this is a good strain for me - and I think it will be - because I think this will be my best yield yet out of a 3 gallon pot.

veg-20171022-RC-58V-002-1050x700.jpg

She has the shape and level of defoliation I want at this point. Very little to do with her other than maintain day over day and keep her healthy and strong. There are a couple of tops below the canopy that I'm leaving for now, but I may take a little bit out to focus on the tops on the canopy - as there are many.

So, after all that, how does the tent look?

Royal Gorilla and Critical go in first. The Royal Queens look set to impress in flower.

veg-20171022-all-003-1050x700.jpg

veg-20171022-all-004-1050x700.jpg

Then in go Candida and Violator Kush. Both will have their challenges and won't produce like the RQS ladies will, but I bet both will still make me happy in the end.

veg-20171022-all-005-1050x700.jpg

Altogether, looking good and very much ready to impress in a week in the veg tent.

veg-20171022-all-006-1050x700.jpg

Bonus shots!

prop-20171022-all-001-1050x700.jpg

Propogation tent! 24K Gold mom was waaaaay too tall when it was time to go in, so I did some drastic defoliation and jammed her in, and hoped for the best. She survived, so I did another big defol today. Once she recovers again, I'll slowly take her down until she's a manageable bush. Kushy mom was growing vigorously, so I did a big defol on her as well - I topped her x3 to get her low and keep her bushy. I learned from the 24K mom that tall is bad when it comes to my mothers fitting in the propogation tent!

flower-20171022-all-001-1050x700.jpg

Flower tent! Chocolope is hogging the light as I push her to the finish line!

I won't be moving the flower ladies out of their positions again until it's time to chop, but I'll snap a few pics before next weekend, and during the chop. Can't wait to take Chocolope down and see how those buds shape up!

Thanks for following along!

Thanks UA! I'm really looking forward to getting her down and getting a taste.

Thinking hard about my next batch of seeds too, and I have to admit, Green Crack and Blue Dream are big contenders. I was thinking of a "colours" theme, and running Green Crack, Blueberry, White Widow, and Purple Envy.

Lol. I'll be running Green Crack and Blue Dream on my next run soon.

Lol. I’ll be running Green Crack and Blue Dream on my next run soon.

I had a bag of GC from a dispensary - purple pheno, and I loved it. A real "clean your house" kind of strain. Would love to get something like that.

I've never actually had Blue Dream! Near the top of my list of strains to try. If I order Purple Envy I'm thinking of picking it up as well. I have some freebie White Widow and Blueberry to try.

I'm at a loss as to which breeder has the best version of these popular strains but thought of giving Humboldt a try.

I had a bag of GC from a dispensary - purple pheno, and I loved it. A real "clean your house" kind of strain. Would love to get something like that.

I've never actually had Blue Dream! Near the top of my list of strains to try. If I order Purple Envy I'm thinking of picking it up as well. I have some freebie White Widow and Blueberry to try.

I'm at a loss as to which breeder has the best version of these popular strains but thought of giving Humboldt a try.

The Blue Dream I got was from Humboldt and the Green Crack was Crop King from POTM for last month. Still debating on the other two I will run with them but I gotta decide soon. I think I will be turning my 2x4 drying tent into a seedling/veg tent to cut the times down on everything by a few weeks. Probably start that experiment this week.

Veg girls look really proper. It's always hard to tell how tall people's plants are but those are going to be pretty big if they stretch accordingly. Hopefully you have the headroom for some monsters!

The Blue Dream I got was from Humboldt and the Green Crack was Crop King from POTM for last month. Still debating on the other two I will run with them but I gotta decide soon. I think I will be turning my 2x4 drying tent into a seedling/veg tent to cut the times down on everything by a few weeks. Probably start that experiment this week.

Veg girls look really proper. It's always hard to tell how tall people's plants are but those are going to be pretty big if they stretch accordingly. Hopefully you have the headroom for some monsters!

They are indeed pretty big. I'll measure for the next update. I was in the 1-1.5' range last flip and should be similar for this one. Chocolope went to about 4' in the end - if Candida stretches like that she's getting supercropped! The blessing and curse of these long veg times is the potential for things to get big.

Lots of roots hitting the sides of the pots too, especially from the RQS plants. You definitely have me intrigued about how the next batch will do getting RapidStart from the beginning.

I decided to get started on the Chocolope chop. Chopolope? Chocochop?

Time is short, so I figure I'll take her down bit by bit over the course of the next couple of days.

It feels odd to start so "early" - she turns 9 weeks old tomorrow - but trichs don't lie. And she's plenty amber.

I'll share some photos as I go. Too bad I won't get the big mid-chop photo with everything laid out this time though. But I bet my shoulders and back will thank me.

I did roughly 1/4 of the plant, 2 of the 8 manifold branches, in 3 or so hours. I took about 110g wet in buds so far. If this pace holds, I'll be over 400g wet, plus popcorn and trim. So I'd consider this a great start.

Buds are meaty, super sticky, and not very leafy - a testament to the superior feeding these ladies got perhaps? This plant was fed pretty close to Ase's schedule for the bulk of flower.

She stunk out the house tonight too - my wife had to open the window on the top floor with me in the basement. The house is going to be awfully stinky this week if I do the rest in stages.

Thanks G2HM! I'm really glad to know you have taken something away from my journals.

I'm not sure what I'll do with this trim. I've never tried sativa oil, and always understood my medical needs to be for indica oil. I'll dry and cure it while I think it over. I like the idea of curing my trim to bring out flavours and effects it might not otherwise have, because if it has no real medical application for me, at least then it will suit my tastes recreationally.

Looks like your slaying it again Dobe. Nice job

Thanks Derby! Still learning but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I can't wait to see what my next set of plants turns out like... but then again, I already know of things to improve for the next run. This is a fun skill to learn.

Getting caught up Dobe...Hell I am just starting flower and you are chopping them down already...my ex always accused me of" being slow":laughtwo:

Nice looking tents, getting that first grow under the belt really helps doesn't it...that first dial in and knowing the limits eases the stress factor a lot.

You are going to have a very nice variety of herb at your fingertips...and Christmas is just around the corner!:thumb:

Thanks G2HM! I'm really glad to know you have taken something away from my journals.

I'm not sure what I'll do with this trim. I've never tried sativa oil, and always understood my medical needs to be for indica oil. I'll dry and cure it while I think it over. I like the idea of curing my trim to bring out flavours and effects it might not otherwise have, because if it has no real medical application for me, at least then it will suit my tastes recreationally.

*I see what you mean. I believe there is always a place for Sativa despite my brain not being able to handle it, like camping trips, shopping, hiking, or going to see a movie. Or I will give my sativa to friends who would enjoy it more than me. But yah, I'm in the same boat. You could just put it in a ziploc and freeze it until you decide. Xmas is coming up, could make cute little doberman cookies?

Gniiite.

Getting caught up Dobe...Hell I am just starting flower and you are chopping them down already...my ex always accused me of" being slow":laughtwo:

Nice looking tents, getting that first grow under the belt really helps doesn't it...that first dial in and knowing the limits eases the stress factor a lot.

You are going to have a very nice variety of herb at your fingertips...and Christmas is just around the corner!:thumb:

Fast has definitely helped me! I've been able to learn and react as I go, and as I discover things other people are doing, I can incorporate them immediately regardless of whether they're for veg or flower. The instant feedback is a great fit with how I like to learn.

Speaking of dialing in - I really feel like I could knock LA Confidential out of the park now that I know what she responds to at what points.

I think for my dad, who is a picky hash lover, I'll give him a "make your own hash!" experience as a gift. :laugh:

While you were away, OTM, I finally tried White Widow - and absolutely loved it. Your comment about how well yours came out was not lost on me! I've all but decided to run one of my freebie Seedsman WW fems in my next run.

*I see what you mean. I believe there is always a place for Sativa despite my brain not being able to handle it, like camping trips, shopping, hiking, or going to see a movie. Or I will give my sativa to friends who would enjoy it more than me. But yah, I'm in the same boat. You could just put it in a ziploc and freeze it until you decide. Xmas is coming up, could make cute little doberman cookies?

Gniiite.

I do enjoy it, and exactly as you describe it. Before kids, a sunny summer morning of just me and the dog (and a road j) heading out before sunrise was a favourite weekend activity of mine. I don't have it much anymore, but I do enjoy the rare opportunity for a blast from the past like that. It's funny, but I'm so used to taking indica to keep the stomach in order that when I have a good stretch of minimal IBS impacts, I think, "Maybe I could have some sativa!" :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom