DobeWan's First Grow! LA Confidential & 24K Gold - LED - 3x3 - Coco

That's an awesome goal PW. Big benefit of the buckets. My next big goal will be some level of automated feeding, it'll definitely help me save time.

I run a diy top feed on a timer with the Starkiller. I used 6" rockwool cubes on a flood tray. Nute solution drained back into a rez for reuse. Ph was stable with that setup for the entire grow.

I need to look into flood trays I guess. My big time sink is watering to runoff, then draining the runoff from my saucers. Hand feeding still feels important to me at this stage as I continue to learn the ropes, but I'm getting to the point where I can afford to save some of that time.

I'll have a look at your Starkiller grow soon and check out what you did PW. I'll go have a chat with my friendly local hydro shop guys too, they've tended to steer me in the right direction. I like Ase's setup with the pots on a wire platform above the flood tray as well. Maybe I could start with putting together a solution for runoff but still hand feed, and then when I'm comfortable put together a simple top feed on a timer.

Hmm... there are most definitely tiny caylxes and pistils showing on Chocolope, who has only 1 12/12 cycle under her belt. This seems abnormal. Is it because of the long veg? She veged 64 days.

flower-20170823-CH1-2F-002-1000x750.jpg

I can't get it to focus right with my phone, but that should at least illustrate. Every cola has them, some of the tiny calyxes even have 2-3 pistils. The new top growth looks odd too, not distinctly leafy at the growth tip.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse - I definitely only see those on the nodes, not on the top of the colas yet. So yeah, definitely preflowers. I guess I just didn't see any signs of sex until 7ish days on my other plants.

I think I've settled on 4 different strains to start seeds with - Candida, Violator Kush, Royal Gorilla, and Royal Critical. Figure a heavy indica is the better bet than a hybrid, especially given that we've had some initial indications indica helps by wife, and indica is best for me. And Critical seems to have a good rep for medical use.

I tried my sample LA2 popcorn, and it works! :laugh:

I started the cure almost immediately after it sat on my table for a few hours. It was the smallest and airiest of the buds from the bottom that I used. It has cured for a week minus a day. It wasn't particularly frosty buds on a not particularly frosty plant. My expectations were low.

It had a spicy / peppery taste. Different taste on exhale. I'll wait until I've tried proper cured buds to really get into tastes. The high is relaxed and physical, from forehead to chest, and then working through the body. The head high is stronger than expected initially, and I suspect it'll mellow with a proper dry and cure. The physical high has potential. It took 15 minutes to properly settle in and felt heavy / sleepy when it did. That was a prime consideration for me.

I think with a proper dry and cure, this is going to work well for me. I can see how much potential the strain it has, and given all of my mistakes I'm sure I'll better unlock that potential in future grows!

Let it get a little more amber next time and see how that turns out for an evening med.

Considering how excited I was to harvest, I feel like I did pretty well in holding out while watching the leaves all burn to a crisp! But yeah, point taken, I've seen people go up 70 days, right here in KingJohnC's journal. His and mine looked like different plants altogether, though - his were healthy monsters. I'll let this round's LA2 go longer if I continue to have a healthy grow. So far so good. There's a noticeable difference in the LA2 and Kushy Kush though - the Kushy Kush colas have far greater potential. The LA's colas have that same wispy, weak look I saw in round 1, it's just on a far fuller and healthier plant this time.

I'll have a far more accurate opinion of LA Confidential's potential as a med for me once I get into the properly dried and cured buds and not the popcorn, but it definitely has promise. The mellow, anxiety-free nature of the high should go well with the physical effects.

Back
Top Bottom