Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Doc, generally speaking.

What ratio of calcium to magnesium should high brix soil have?

Also if we are having to supplement calcium and/or magnesium what ratio should we aim for?

I have seen 7 to 1, 10 to 1, and 3 to 1 ratios mentioned in other areas of the internet.

In an effort to find an answer to my own question.

Calcium to Magnesium ratio

Found at the bottom of the article linked above:
The obvious conclusion is that crop yields are not significantly affected by the soil Ca/Mg ratio as long as both nutrients are present in adequate amounts.

Essentially the ratio doesn't matter because the plant will show signs of deficiencies when the supply of a particular mineral is inadequate. Going off of what I understand calcium aught to be higher than magnesium since is calcium is used for several different things as a plant develops further. If a magnesium deficiency is showing there may as well be a calcium deficiency also.

Essentially the ratio doesn't matter because the plant will show signs of deficiencies when the supply of a particular mineral is inadequate. Going off of what I understand calcium aught to be higher than magnesium since is calcium is used for several different things as a plant develops further. If a magnesium deficiency is showing there may as well be a calcium deficiency also.

I found this quote from an earlier post of Doc's:

Ca/Mg should be 7:1....no more than 10:1 for our plants.

Ca should be 18 times higher than P or K, which should be equal with each other.

Nothing is more critical than calcium in the soil. The calcium/magnesium ratio is also critical.

The article you posted is applicable to sterile soil/salt farming methods.

What we're doing here is quite a bit different. Just as hydro rules don't apply to soil, sterile soil rules don't apply to High Brix, as the latter is focused on microbial life and living soil.

7:1 all the way up to 10:1 is where you want to be for High Brix.

I found this quote from an earlier post of Doc's:

Ca/Mg should be 7:1....no more than 10:1 for our plants.

Ca should be 18 times higher than P or K, which should be equal with each other.

Thank you for posting the information. I am still reading through this thread and haven't reached that particular post or overlooked it somehow.

Nothing is more critical than calcium in the soil. The calcium/magnesium ratio is also critical.

The article you posted is applicable to sterile soil/salt farming methods.

What we're doing here is quite a bit different. Just as hydro rules don't apply to soil, sterile soil rules don't apply to High Brix, as the latter is focused on microbial life and living soil.

7:1 all the way up to 10:1 is where you want to be for High Brix.

Thanks for the information. I won't get into details of my small grow, but I'll increase the ratio I had been using up to as high as 10:1.

Would it be a good idea to dip wet clone tips in Roots! powder before sticking them into rockwool plugs?

Or to sprinkle it in/around the hole of the plugs?

Not with rockwool, but perhaps with peat plugs. I use clonex and have virtually 100% success. The main thing is to grow roots in a medium of some sort, not in air or water.

Does the aerocloner work? Obviously, yes it does. I just like to grow the right kind of roots ASAP.

Not with rockwool, but perhaps with peat plugs. I use clonex and have virtually 100% success. The main thing is to grow roots in a medium of some sort, not in air or water.

Does the aerocloner work? Obviously, yes it does. I just like to grow the right kind of roots ASAP.

I was looking at the rooting hormones and it seemed like using any of them would be counter to what we do? Even Clonex? I realize its so early, if you are dipping clones in Eagle20 or Azamax or anything like that, who cares about a little Clonex eh?

Never used an aerocloner and it was my first time to use rockwool. Is rockwool not considered a medium? The last few clones I have got from people that were in Promix look like they have rockwool plugs in them. *shrug*?

I'll have to keep an eye out for some peat plugs.

I was looking at the rooting hormones and it seemed like using any of them would be counter to what we do? Even Clonex? I realize its so early, if you are dipping clones in Eagle20 or Azamax or anything like that, who cares about a little Clonex eh?

Never used an aerocloner and it was my first time to use rockwool. Is rockwool not considered a medium? The last few clones I have got from people that were in Promix look like they have rockwool plugs in them. *shrug*?

I'll have to keep an eye out for some peat plugs.

I don't really think Clonex is against what we do....there's no roots when the stuff comes into play.

I'm mostly talking about how we want "dirt" roots, not hydro roots.

Pics from an hour ago.

Picture_011225.jpg
Picture_010244.jpg
Picture_009252.jpg
Picture_008250.jpg
Picture_007276.jpg
Picture_006297.jpg
Picture_005316.jpg
Picture_004328.jpg
Picture_003337.jpg
Picture_002331.jpg
Picture_001339.jpg

Hello all,

I would like to invite you to my second grow ever and my first High Brix grow.

High Brix - PlatinumLED - AK48 - Wonder Woman

I have had a few hiccups, but I think I have everything back on track now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Talk to you all soon.

IMAG0260_BURST001_1.jpg

I can't begin to tell you how anxious I am for this. Doc this kit really is perfect for beginners. And things are only going to get better :thanks:

So true it always cracks me up when people are like I wanna do a normal easy grow before figuring out the kit. The kit is the normal easy grow, nature takes care of itself if we just let it and don't dump chemicals all over it :)

Back
Top Bottom