Doc Bud's High Brix - Strawberry Cough - Pineapple Express

Re: Doc Bud's High Brix: Strawberry Cough, Pineapple Express

wow, cant believe ive never heard of high brix before. the plants look great. now reading the other threads on high brix and im getting excited. good job DocBud and thanks for sharing with us :bravo:

wow yea deff like those pics..and somewhat embarresed by thm few pics haha..how much herb u think u pulled out tht picture..i wouldnt b at all..it all atleast came out good tho rite

Some of it came out very good indeed, the worst of it is still going to be decent, just not up to my standards. People will enjoy it, however, and I've got more plants waiting in the wings.

I learned some valuable lessons with those plants!

and your saying tht u popped those sprouted seeds in the soil went to flower and wala..ben hearing alot about putting seeds and clones into 12/12 on this site..taking a liking to the idea seeing how much you guys produce without veg like 420fields hempy sog..a master piece

I don't put clones in 12/12 right away. I like them to get some roots first, but my style is large plants, not a large number of plants. Seeds do very well on 12/12. In fact, that's all I do with seeds.

The misery of no plants to fool with till september! Other than the peppers and tomatoes anyway. At least I have these journals to read and some grow room projects to work on like improving ventilation, expanding on flat space and improving stealth.

Good things are happening:

The Strawberry Cough and Pineapple Express are on track to be superb.

I've got Shaman and Lemon Paki waiting a week or two to put into bloom. They'll be the first plants in the ProMix soil.....closer to a true High Brix soil than anything prior. The leaf shine is definitely happening....but some days are shinier than others, which is interesting.

The Purple Jack Here is sure looking grand.....I'm going to chop it tonite.

Picture_01164.jpg

Picture_002124.jpg

Picture_003125.jpg

Picture_004123.jpg

Picture_005110.jpg

Picture_00698.jpg

Picture_00783.jpg

Picture_00879.jpg

Picture_00975.jpg

Picture_01075.jpg

Doc...my plants do the same thing with the shinyness...some days there gleaming like there fake plastic, and some days there rather dull with a little bit of shine... I have been trying to make sense of my feedings, foliars and which ones are helping raise the brix but there are so many factors, its really hard to find the answer...

It seems to me my leaves are the shinyest (based on my notes) after a soil "replenishment" and then followed up a few days later with a compost tea feeding and foliar.. but like I mentioned before, I still haven't seen enough of a pattern to hypothesize..

Doc...my plants do the same thing with the shinyness...some days there gleaming like there fake plastic, and some days there rather dull with a little bit of shine... I have been trying to make sense of my feedings, foliars and which ones are helping raise the brix but there are so many factors, its really hard to find the answer...

It seems to me my leaves are the shinyest (based on my notes) after a soil "replenishment" and then followed up a few days later with a compost tea feeding and foliar.. but like I mentioned before, I still haven't seen enough of a pattern to hypothesize..

I'm noticing the same thing. They always look green and healthy, but half the time they look radioactive. The other half of the time they just look really nice.

We're getting there. BTW, no gnats this time.

Doc,

the gnats in my current grow may have come from the Dr Earth soil. I needed a bit for a clone and when I opened the bag I saw one flying around in the bag. Not to blame Dr Earth, but all I know is they are in that bag. Those home made fly paper strips I made are loaded with them in the grow room, but very few flying around.

What do you think of this idea for my next grow;
I want to use a big enough piece of landscape fabric to put in the pot before the soil, and big enough to wrap around the soil mass and tie it around the stem, sort of like the trees you buy at a nursery. Untie and water, then tie her back up. And I think the folds and pleats of fabric might stop roots from wrapping around the pot.

other bug occurrence I am seeing is with my veggies in buckets. different ferts in each bucket, but mineralized all of them the same. And I watered them all with Bountea 2x so far. I am noticing more flys around my veggies than I ever have before. They are all really green healthy looking plants. The zucchini plants have that shine the mj does.

Doc,

the gnats in my current grow may have come from the Dr Earth soil. I needed a bit for a clone and when I opened the bag I saw one flying around in the bag. Not to blame Dr Earth, but all I know is they are in that bag. Those home made fly paper strips I made are loaded with them in the grow room, but very few flying around.

What do you think of this idea for my next grow;
I want to use a big enough piece of landscape fabric to put in the pot before the soil, and big enough to wrap around the soil mass and tie it around the stem, sort of like the trees you buy at a nursery. Untie and water, then tie her back up. And I think the folds and pleats of fabric might stop roots from wrapping around the pot.

other bug occurrence I am seeing is with my veggies in buckets. different ferts in each bucket, but mineralized all of them the same. And I watered them all with Bountea 2x so far. I am noticing more flys around my veggies than I ever have before. They are all really green healthy looking plants. The zucchini plants have that shine the mj does.

I think you'd have a hard time getting the root ball soaked with fabric around it. Water would tend to find it's way out the bottom of the pot between the fabric and the plastic. It could be done, but I think you'll be OK just using large pots.

My yellow squash look like jewells growing under the most vibrant green leaves I've ever seen. Same with the tomatoes. High Brix works better so far in the garden than in the grow room.....I think this is due to the fact that the "container" size is larger, and the soil in my beds is 3 years old. Mineralizing it and using the kit has gotten me pretty close outdoors.

I'm getting there indoors.

Doc you ever experiment with top dressing with perlite or some other non soil substance the gnats wouldn't survive in?

Doc you ever experiment with top dressing with perlite or some other non soil substance the gnats wouldn't survive in?

Yup.

I've tried sand.....sank into the medium after watering a few times.
I've tried perlite....didn't stop the gnats.

I've tried Hygromite.....like kitty litter. It got smelly from all the organic material watered into it.
I tried diatomaceous earth, which formed a paste and kept the pots from breathing after watering.

The gnats don't hurt my plants, so I'll just use the Mosquito dunks and Yucca. No gnats now.

I suspect the gnats are a sign that not all is right with the soil. That's why I'm spending my money on soil tests before I buy the refractometer.

Doc

re. the mosquito dunks; do you just dissolve one in a gallon of water an use it or are you adding it to a tea as you water?

Yup.

I've tried sand.....sank into the medium after watering a few times.
I've tried perlite....didn't stop the gnats.

I've tried Hygromite.....like kitty litter. It got smelly from all the organic material watered into it.
I tried diatomaceous earth, which formed a paste and kept the pots from breathing after watering.

The gnats don't hurt my plants, so I'll just use the Mosquito dunks and Yucca. No gnats now.

I suspect the gnats are a sign that not all is right with the soil. That's why I'm spending my money on soil tests before I buy the refractometer.

Doc, I have tried all those same things minus the sand. The dunks work the best when I apply it directly to my water barrel. So everytime I use water for anything in my grow there is a little BTi in there.
I was really disappointed with the DE, yucky paste crap....
I have ordered the Yucca for my teas, but how do you apply it for gnat control?
Thanks.

:peace:

Doc

re. the mosquito dunks; do you just dissolve one in a gallon of water an use it or are you adding it to a tea as you water?

I apply mine directly to my water barrel and it keeps them at bay along with some fly strips.

:peace:

Doc,

My plants have been in my new soil mix for 2 weeks and I just flipped to 12/12.

Loaded with organic nutes and minerals etc.

Question is how long before you have to add more minerals to keep the soil where you like it? Or do you even have to add more? Signs you look for, or you just add to play it safe?.

I pruned a bit yesterday and there were only a leaf or two per plant at the very lowest branch that were a little yellowing. The rest were text book perfect and healthy green.

Doc,

My plants have been in my new soil mix for 2 weeks and I just flipped to 12/12.

Loaded with organic nutes and minerals etc.

Question is how long before you have to add more minerals to keep the soil where you like it? Or do you even have to add more? Signs you look for, or you just add to play it safe?.

I pruned a bit yesterday and there were only a leaf or two per plant at the very lowest branch that were a little yellowing. The rest were text book perfect and healthy green.

When to replenish minerals and energy.....

Well, the scientific way is with a soil EC reader, a tool I do not have.

The "natural" way would be to develop a relationship, or bond with the plants and use your gardener's intuition. Are the leaves less shiny? Is there a hint of yellowing? You know, the subtleties you pick up on the longer you grow.

Think, depending on container size, you could top off the minerals and organic material every 1 to 4 weeks. Just be careful you don't feed too much!

When to replenish minerals and energy.....

Well, the scientific way is with a soil EC reader, a tool I do not have.

The "natural" way would be to develop a relationship, or bond with the plants and use your gardener's intuition. Are the leaves less shiny? Is there a hint of yellowing? You know, the subtleties you pick up on the longer you grow.

Think, depending on container size, you could top off the minerals and organic material every 1 to 4 weeks. Just be careful you don't feed too much!

Much agreed with what Doc says...

I have been doing a topdressing of the rock powders about 1x per month... same as a good organic soil feeding 1x per month... The rest of my feedings are just compost teas with added amendments. I actually just topdressed yesterday and will be following with a compost/carbo/microbe tea :)

my philosophy or approach to this has been my concept of : add microbes/compost tea to increase soil life, then a light amendment feeding with organic nutrients (sugars, b vitamins, PGR's like seaweed, fish hydroslate) to give food to the microbes, then another microbe/compost tea/sugar feeding to again charge up the microlife, then a full earthjuice feeding to replenish the organics in the soil...then repeat...

I have been trying to keep this pattern up throughout the grow and so far it has been doing me well :) Im sure this isn't the only way, but so far its working for me :)

Much agreed with what Doc says...

I have been doing a topdressing of the rock powders about 1x per month... same as a good organic soil feeding 1x per month... The rest of my feedings are just compost teas with added amendments. I actually just topdressed yesterday and will be following with a compost/carbo/microbe tea :)

my philosophy or approach to this has been my concept of : add microbes/compost tea to increase soil life, then a light amendment feeding with organic nutrients (sugars, b vitamins, PGR's like seaweed, fish hydroslate) to give food to the microbes, then another microbe/compost tea/sugar feeding to again charge up the microlife, then a full earthjuice feeding to replenish the organics in the soil...then repeat...

I have been trying to keep this pattern up throughout the grow and so far it has been doing me well :) Im sure this isn't the only way, but so far its working for me :)

Yup. There's a multitude of things the soil will like....but the minerals and microbes are indispensable.

Here's a pic of Strawberry Cough and Pineapple Express, along with a full garden shot right after a foliar spray of Amaze. It's frightening when the leaves curl up like that, but they straighten out the next day.

I think the reason it does this is because the pH of Amaze is 3.something.....very acidic.

Anyways, I'm very pleased with this garden so far. The buds are forming really well, and the leaves are all healthy and shiny. Things smell good and feel good. I have some nice plants waiting in the wings, too.
IMG_28751.JPG

IMG_28762.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

Looking "Amaze"ing Doc!!!! I can't wait till you get a refractometer, actually I can't wait to start another grow!! I am addicted to foliar spraying and testing brix, too bad my ladies are getting to the "no spray zone" now, I may still hit em lightly from underneath though :)

Looking great Doc!

Back
Top Bottom