Does Music Help Growth? If You Play This Kind Of Music It Could Kill Your Plants!

NewBoy420

I have been a big fan of Nikola Tesla, and his work regarding vibrations. He said “If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.”

One thing that got to me is that growers were saying that talking to plants helps them grow! People would say that could be due to the CO2 from our breath.
But what is talking, Nothing more than vibrations.

So I started to look into it what the claims of music was. This is nothing new and research has been going since the 1900s , or earlier.
I am by no means a expert so I'm asking the community if they would share their knowledge and experiences.

Here are some interesting facts, I will copy and paste.
1: In 1962, Dr. T. C. Singh, head of the Botany Department at India's Annamalia University, experimented with the effect of musical sounds on the growth rate of plants. He found that balsam plants grew at a rate that accelerated by 20% in height and 72% in biomass when exposed to music. He initially experimented with classical music.

2: Singh repeated the experiment with field crops using a particular type of raga played through a gramophone and loudspeakers. The size of crops increased to between 25 to 60% above the regional average.

3: Through his several experiments, Singh concluded that the sound of the violin has the greatest effect on plant growth.

4: He also experimented on the effects of vibrations caused by barefoot dancing. After exposure to dancers performed Bharata-Natyam, India's most ancient dance style, with no musical accompaniment, several flowering plants, including petunias and marigold, flowered two weeks earlier than the control.

5: He concluded that they react to the attitude with which they are nurtured

6:He also found that plants are sensitive to factors in the external environment, such as light, cold, heat, and noise. Bose documented his research in Response in the Living and Non-Living, published in 1902, and The Nervous Mechanism of Plants, published in 1926. In order to conduct his research, Bose created recorders capable of detecting extremely small movements, like the quivering of injured plants, and he also invented the crescograph, a tool that measures the growth of plants. From his analysis of the effects specific circumstances had on plants' cell membranes, he hypothesised they could both feel pain and understand affection.

7: Luther Burbank, an American botanist and horticulturist, studied how plants react when removed from their natural habitat. He talked to his plants. Based on his horticultural experiments, he attributed approximately 20 sensory perceptions to plants.

8: Dr. T. C. Singh also discovered that seeds that were exposed to music and later germinated produced plants that had more leaves, were of greater size, and had other improved characteristics. It practically changed the plant's genetic chromosomes!

9: Working around the same time as Singh, Canadian engineer Eugene Canby exposed wheat to J.S. Bach's violin sonata and observed a 66% increase in yield. Canby's research reinforces Singh's findings.

10: Plants exposed to Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, and Schubert grew towards and entwined themselves around the speakers. Another plant group grew away from a speaker that played rock music. That group even tried to climb a glass-walled enclosure in what appeared to be an attempt to get away from the sound.

11: Retallack later replicated the experiment with rock music (like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix) on a variety of plants. She observed abnormal vertical growth and smaller leaves. She also observed the plants to have damage similar to that associated with excessive water uptake. In the experiment, marigolds died within two weeks. No matter which way they were turned, plants leaned away from the rock music source. These findings were documented in Retallack's 1973 book The Sound of Music and Plants.

There is so much information out there! I encourage all to look into it and chime in!

I remember years ago doing a little digging around online to find information on this. I believe there used to be an agricultural product called "sonic bloom" or somthing like that which worked with some kind of vibration waves which were supposed to help plants grow faster and yield larger. I think there was some kind of foliar spray which was used with the device and If I remember correctly there was also bird chirps or something played over loudspeakers.

I remember they had a theory and research pointing to how birds chirp in the morning and at night and they had reached some kind of connection between bird chirps and plants reacting to them causing their stomata to open more and more gas/air exchange to take place.

I also remember reading a study that was done years ago that different types of music were played for plants and I too remember that classical music showed positive results, where rock/metal music yielded poor results.

Plants are definitely more "aware" of their surroundings than most people think. Pretty cool stuff!

Plants also communicate with VOC's and can release and "smell" signals from neighboring plants which can trigger SAR responses in plants. These studies have even shown that plants can increase trichome count by recieving "signals" from VOC's released by nearby plants. Trichomes are technically a protective measure against UV and instects for plants, so generally things that can Harm the plant will increase trichomes (such as UV light).

Very interesting stuff, great post!

I remember years ago doing a little digging around online to find information on this. I believe there used to be an agricultural product called "sonic bloom" or somthing like that which worked with some kind of vibration waves which were supposed to help plants grow faster and yield larger. I think there was some kind of foliar spray which was used with the device and If I remember correctly there was also bird chirps or something played over loudspeakers.

I remember they had a theory and research pointing to how birds chirp in the morning and at night and they had reached some kind of connection between bird chirps and plants reacting to them causing their stomata to open more and more gas/air exchange to take place.

I also remember reading a study that was done years ago that different types of music were played for plants and I too remember that classical music showed positive results, where rock/metal music yielded poor results.

Plants are definitely more "aware" of their surroundings than most people think. Pretty cool stuff!

Plants also communicate with VOC's and can release and "smell" signals from neighboring plants which can trigger SAR responses in plants. These studies have even shown that plants can increase trichome count by recieving "signals" from VOC's released by nearby plants. Trichomes are technically a protective measure against UV and instects for plants, so generally things that can Harm the plant will increase trichomes (such as UV light).

Thank you my friend and I have learned something new.
I will have to look into the bird chirps! It's amazing how interconnected everything is.

So now I'm thinking.... :lot-o-toke:.... a radio in the room linked into the light timer and tuned into something like jazz. I wonder how much confusion the noise from my fans causes them? White noise from the ballast? Confusion or satisfaction?

I know.... I'm overthinking it all, they are doing just fine for now.
Nice read though, I enjoy these kinds of tidbits.

I have been a big fan of Nikola Tesla, and his work regarding vibrations. He said “If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.”

One thing that got to me is that growers were saying that talking to plants helps them grow! People would say that could be due to the CO2 from our breath.
But what is talking, Nothing more than vibrations.

So I started to look into it what the claims of music was. This is nothing new and research has been going since the 1900s , or earlier.
I am by no means a expert so I'm asking the community if they would share their knowledge and experiences.

Here are some interesting facts, I will copy and paste.
1: In 1962, Dr. T. C. Singh, head of the Botany Department at India's Annamalia University, experimented with the effect of musical sounds on the growth rate of plants. He found that balsam plants grew at a rate that accelerated by 20% in height and 72% in biomass when exposed to music. He initially experimented with classical music.

2: Singh repeated the experiment with field crops using a particular type of raga played through a gramophone and loudspeakers. The size of crops increased to between 25 to 60% above the regional average.

3: Through his several experiments, Singh concluded that the sound of the violin has the greatest effect on plant growth.

4: He also experimented on the effects of vibrations caused by barefoot dancing. After exposure to dancers performed Bharata-Natyam, India's most ancient dance style, with no musical accompaniment, several flowering plants, including petunias and marigold, flowered two weeks earlier than the control.

5: He concluded that they react to the attitude with which they are nurtured

6:He also found that plants are sensitive to factors in the external environment, such as light, cold, heat, and noise. Bose documented his research in Response in the Living and Non-Living, published in 1902, and The Nervous Mechanism of Plants, published in 1926. In order to conduct his research, Bose created recorders capable of detecting extremely small movements, like the quivering of injured plants, and he also invented the crescograph, a tool that measures the growth of plants. From his analysis of the effects specific circumstances had on plants' cell membranes, he hypothesised they could both feel pain and understand affection.

7: Luther Burbank, an American botanist and horticulturist, studied how plants react when removed from their natural habitat. He talked to his plants. Based on his horticultural experiments, he attributed approximately 20 sensory perceptions to plants.

8: Dr. T. C. Singh also discovered that seeds that were exposed to music and later germinated produced plants that had more leaves, were of greater size, and had other improved characteristics. It practically changed the plant's genetic chromosomes!

9: Working around the same time as Singh, Canadian engineer Eugene Canby exposed wheat to J.S. Bach's violin sonata and observed a 66% increase in yield. Canby's research reinforces Singh's findings.

10: Plants exposed to Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, and Schubert grew towards and entwined themselves around the speakers. Another plant group grew away from a speaker that played rock music. That group even tried to climb a glass-walled enclosure in what appeared to be an attempt to get away from the sound.

11: Retallack later replicated the experiment with rock music (like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix) on a variety of plants. She observed abnormal vertical growth and smaller leaves. She also observed the plants to have damage similar to that associated with excessive water uptake. In the experiment, marigolds died within two weeks. No matter which way they were turned, plants leaned away from the rock music source. These findings were documented in Retallack's 1973 book The Sound of Music and Plants.

There is so much information out there! I encourage all to look into it and chime in!
We vibrate. Plants vibrate. Everything vibrates and is connected.
Pills, and synthetic drugs all change our vibration, some speed it up, some slow it down but cannabis and another earthly specimen both aid in understanding the vibrations pickEd up and put out.
Some use them recklessly and some demonize these tools in an attempt to camouflage the veil of lies strung up before us. To some though it is a hammer to shatter the veil and to heal each other.

Mythbusters tested this. The plants they used grew best when heavy metal was played for them.

Mythbusters tested this. The plants they used grew best when heavy metal was played for them.
I'll have to look the episode up, shame they no longer have the original cast!

My brother is in the Wine business and has been for a long time. One of his products is from a vineyard in France who play music continuously to their Grape vines and has been doing this for years. Now I don't know much about Wine or its production but my brother who I trust his knowledge on the subject claims this vineyards product is a superior product and it may be a coincidence but it is a well sought after wine by the public....

Dont let them listen to old country! Had 3 plants jump off shelves. Similar issue with Rap..only 2 plants ganged up and beat down the other plant. I give them smoooooooth jazz now and they mellowed out.

Well, these guys better not start chanting and doing the beat box, because...

Rap-Scallions.jpg

I just want normal scallions, not rap scallions.

Well, my gals had better like Blues!!!! If they don't - I will get different gals!!! :thumb: :theband:
Like a bumper sticker i saw once: My wife says if I go fishing ONE more time she's gonna leave me. I will sure miss that gal.

--------------

True story: Turned a very large indoor grow once. Trimmers were there for a week. They worked 20+ hours a day and played rap music ... LOUD.
I swear, the plants vegging in another room next door stopped growing. STOPPED.
I lost a weeks growth.

New rule: NO RAP MUSIC.

I already have a modern vibrating grow shed, with all the fans and exhaust blower going. Neighbor already complains... If I added music to the mix he would definitely draw the line...

Back
Top Bottom