Drying and curing temps too high

I am thinking that it will end up costing a lot in electricity to make all the ice cubes and it will take a lot to cool down a room. A basic room air-conditioner might be the answer. Using window blinds and light colored curtains to block direct sunlight helps.

I would put the buds in brown paper bags and place those on shelves. Even when the room was the same temperatures that you have mentioned they would dry relatively slowly enough to be safe for becoming over dried.

Have you checked the threads on low and slow drying in a refrigerator?

i've dried in those temps before. it's not an issue. you might have to change the hang time a bit and work the cure in the jars more but it's really no issue.

what's your rh ?

Thanks for advice. feel better now.
Just checked room sitting at 22 and rh is 40. Regsrds

your rh is low for a long hang. you'll probably be a wk or under, instead of the proscribed 10 - 14 days. keep an eye on it. you want to get the buds in the jars while they still have 62% rh or slightly above.

it's better to go for a shorter hang and a longer burp and cure in the jars if you have to. the idea behind the hang is to reduce the chlorophyll and shed enough moisture to prevent mold in the jars from occurring.

edit: getting some hygrometers for the jars would help a lot in the cure and burp process as well. i'd also suggest some boveda or other rh packs to help stabilize the jars. the packs make curing a fair bit easier for new folk.

I live in Northern California and Oct/Nov is dry time for us folks. It can be a 100f in October. I finally bought a roll around a/c several years back. It’s worth it. And a humidifier or 2.
Keep temp 60f/ and rh at 60 for 14 to 21 days and no need for burping. Jar em up when the buds are about 58rh and store in the dark.

I live in Northern California and Oct/Nov is dry time for us folks. It can be a 100f in October. I finally bought a roll around a/c several years back. It’s worth it. And a humidifier or 2.
Keep temp 60f/ and rh at 60 for 14 to 21 days and no need for burping. Jar em up when the buds are about 58rh and store in the dark.

there's cheaper ways to do it. the hang isn't as important as the cure and burp. that's where the work and magic is. i've hung as short as three days. it's not hard adapt, but if you can spend the cash to create the optimum conditions i see no reason not to.

i'd for sure let it run longer if i had the conditions.

edit : also it's easier to adapt to dry rh than it is to excessive. i'm lucky that way.

Put my last chop straight in a cardboard box in the bathroom as UK was so hot and dry
Dryish only took 3-4 days, then straight into airtight tubs
They do need a bit more burping as the moisture evens out, so I've used wide flat tupperware rather than jars for the next week or so before the normal jar cure

I advice to hang in a tent or closet with an exhaust fan set on a dimmer. Put a termometer/hygrometer in the middle and a small fan blowing lightly in the bottom up towards the buds. Then dial the exhaust fan down til you reach 65% RH in the tent. Then the RH will gradually lower by itself til you reach 55-60% RH.

It's important to move or flip the buds every day to prevent mold to form. I use regular clothes hangers.

I don't like to jar early and many strains loose flavour and taste if you do so. Some may benefit but it's more rare than common. My two cents, Cheers!

I don't like to jar early and many strains loose flavour and taste if you do so. Some may benefit but it's more rare than common. My two cents, Cheers!

if you have to jar early and / or use bovedas you lose some flavour and terpenes. i do both and that is still my opinion.

i sometimes use stalks instead of a boveda to even the jar rh, then remove and will seal the jar solid for months when it hits optimum rh. that preserves both flavour and terpenes.

that said a pile of folk love how my stuff smokes. not so much for the potency, but the smooth quality.

I have a friend in glasgow the first time i gave him some smoke he remarked how smooth it was compared to whats on the street. Ah cant beat home grown especially our own

i don't remember the last time i knew anyone who bought some. given sure, but it was never commercial ...

your rh is low for a long hang. you'll probably be a wk or under, instead of the proscribed 10 - 14 days. keep an eye on it. you want to get the buds in the jars while they still have 62% rh or slightly above.

it's better to go for a shorter hang and a longer burp and cure in the jars if you have to. the idea behind the hang is to reduce the chlorophyll and shed enough moisture to prevent mold in the jars from occurring.

edit: getting some hygrometers for the jars would help a lot in the cure and burp process as well. i'd also suggest some boveda or other rh packs to help stabilize the jars. the packs make curing a fair bit easier for new folk.
This is true. You just have to catch em before they get too dry.

Thanks all for info. Thats what i like about this fantastic community. Regards

20230608_170053.jpg

20230608_170028.jpg

you can recharge those packs when they dry up and that dot turns blue. just seal them up in a bag with a little wet paper towel.

Back
Top Bottom