Durban Poison First Grow In Soil - CFL - 400W HPS

Re: Durban Poison First Grow In Soil - CFL / 400W HPS

No reason for panic.
I just sprayed them with some water so they can suck up all the epsom salt leftovers. It's 2 hours before 'dawn' and they are all up and ready for it. Almost as if they know it. Smart plants :)
2012-01-03_Droopy_tops_up.jpg

Yup, nothing to worry about.

It's day 5 of flowering. Pistils popping up, Mg def solved, but 2 plants got some nute burns.. nothing serious. Watered with 1/2 strength nutes solution.
2012-01-04_Pistils.jpg

Yea, as soon as possible hopefully :)
I took em out for feeding today. 100% mix this time. Here's a few pictures.

This is by far the tallest one. Over 2 feet. It's actually the one that got it's main stem broken by LST/fan a few weeks ago. 7 strong main branches.
2012-01-06_Tall_plant.jpg

The others are just over half the size on average but a lot bushier.
2012-01-06_Short_plant.jpg

A LOT bushier with lots of small branches popping up from the bottom where main branches were growing horizontally due to LST. Are these worth keeping or should I get rid of them and just keep the main branches?
2012-01-06_Bottom_branches.jpg

Now this is one weird branch. Its like 2 branches spliced together. Upper part of stem is 2x in width with 2 growth tips on top. No side branching at all. Just 6 fan leaves on each node.
2012-01-06_Wierd_branch.jpg

Here they are crammed back in the grow room. Really crowded over there. Makes me wanna have another 400W HPS. I guess for next time I'll go for 4 plants max.
2012-01-06_All.jpg

Oh... and feast your eyes on my super awesome and very expensive adjustable suspension system. Some really thin steel wire and speaker cable. It's what I had at hand at the time :)
2012-01-06_Suspension.jpg

Heh, thanks... I know I can do both, but I asked what would be more beneficial for yield, potency and overall convenience, not aesthetics. I intend to smoke these ladies, not keep em as decorative plants :)

But then again... I have 6 of them and I can experiment all I want.
So... I'll give each of these ladies a real lady name and put them on different regiments regarding lolypopping and defoliating. If nothing else, just to make things a bit more interesting...

More improvisations...

Trimmed all the little branches under the canopy of 3 plants and decided to use them as clones. Yea, not the best idea in flowering but what the hell... I used powdered rhizopon and veeery mild 1-2-1 nutrient mix. Here they are in coco pellets.
2012-01-08_Clones.jpg

And here they are under 40w halogen light, sitting in a tray of water (for heat distribution) over tupperware cased 11w CFL as heat source. Water temp in outer tray steady at 27C so its maybe a couple of degrees less for roots.
2012-01-08_Clones_3.jpg

Hope this works for now...

Anyone here growing in 2 - 2.5 gallon pots?
How often do you water them?
My 2+ foot / 7-10 tops ladies in 2 gallons of soil get dry in 2 days :)

Nice Little DIY Tray Cloner You think u Can give me specs on how you use a light to heat up You Cloning Tray?..Becuz were i live a humity dome, tray and, heat pad is just around $50 So if u could help me out by figuring out how you did this I can get Some Cloning done Real Soon!:thumb:

All extra expenditure I had was 8$ for humidity dome. Its 10x15 inches.

It's in metal baking tray that just fits so there is an inch of water between cloner box and baking tray bottom. For light I used one of the 2$ 11 watt CFLs I have tons of. Works like a charm so far. Its day 3 and all the clones are looking good and reaching for the light...

You can use any bulb, depending on your dome size and room temp. See what works for your conditions. Just make sure to keep the bottom warm and the heat will rise up. Anywhere between 70°F to 85°F will do. Mine is at almost 80.
Old school incandescent bulbs will give you more heap per watt, but then you can't keep them in plastic box like I do as it will melt/burn.
For best efficiency use dark metal tray and fill it with water. Metal is great heat conductor and capacitor and will also absorb heat radiation. Water is less so but still 30 times better than air. So heat will be evenly distributed across the tray and will take longer to heat/cool down due to environmental temperature fluctuations.

You can skip the water tray if you have a thick enough metal plate to put under humidity dome.

Can u please simplify That info Im a little medicated and its hard to understand!
:morenutes:

Hehe well... simplified... it's a light bulb, and ummm I put it under the humidity dome :p

It didn't all go as planned for the last couple of weeks. For reasons I wouldn't go into right now I had to move ladies down to the basement FOR 1 WEEK. So... it was 7 days of cold and complete darkness for them. Aside from mild chlorosis of new growth they took it rather well. They were showing some N toxicity symptoms (dark green / purple leaves) before their 7 day sleep and in fact looked healthier after it :)

This is today after a few days of 12/12, week 4 of flowering... if you count the 1 week in 0/24:
2012-01-23_Tops.jpg

One of the plants in normal light:
2012-01-23_Tiffany_1.jpg

Bud close up:
2012-01-23_Tiffany_2.jpg

Here is the new clone box. Clones were also in the dark for a week in humidity dome. Didn't even give them fresh air or anything. I'm surprised any of them made it.
So after 2 weeks, out of 24 cuttings 9 are well rooted and out in .5L cups and 8 still rooting in humidity dome.
The rest is lost to stem rot. These had really thin stems anyway so it was expected... it's just that I had all these cutting while I was lollypopping a few plants and didn't want to throw anything away.
2012-01-23_Cloning_1.jpg

2012-01-23_Cloning_2.jpg

Thx GodSpeed and good luck with this strain bigirishdoode.

A couple of more pics.
This is Nicole (yea I did gave em (slutty?) names, the one before was Jessica). She was 4' tall, over a foot taller than the rest of them. She wouldn't stop stretching so I moved her aside from the light to avoid burn and not waste lumens. But her tops were weakly illuminated this way...
2012-01-23_Nicole_1.jpg

...so I tied her down to be on level with other plants, unintentionally snapping a few stems in the process. Nothing a little paper and duct tape can't fix.
There you go Nicole. Hope you like bondage... and fractures.
2012-01-23_Nicole_2.jpg

Day 25 of flowering. Decided to defoliate half of the plants and see how it works out.

First 2 plants:
2012-01-25_Defoliation_1.jpg

I picked all the fan leaves off the first one...
2012-01-25_Defoliation_2.jpg

...and left a few on the second.
2012-01-25_Defoliation_3.jpg

The same for the one from previous post. Very SCROGly looking now.
2012-01-25_Defoliation_4.jpg

I hope they do. Your journal was one of the reasons I decided to defoliate :)

There is not much info on cannabis defoliation online and no real side by side comparison. I didn't find any so far. Just a lot of debate, even among veteran growers... do it, don't do it, defoliation rocks, no it's insane, fan leaves are power plants, no they are useless... We'll see...

I was just wondering... Now they should transpire a lot less so watering every other day will not be necessary?

Back
Top Bottom