Durban Poison First Grow In Soil - CFL - 400W HPS

Re: Durban Poison First Grow In Soil - CFL / 400W HPS

Ha? Wait. What?! Damn... First time I hear about these bananas. I knew about "regular", early hermies. I checked for that early on. I thought I was safe from that.

Upon closer inspection looks like I have at least 2 plants like. What causes this? Dark period interruptions? Any kind of stress? Or is it just a feminised seed thing?
So what happens here basically? Are these seed pods turning to pollen sacks or new growth? How long will it take for them to pop and pollinate the females? And how long for seeds to fully form then? You sure these will be feminised seeds then? If so then I don't mind :)

Sorry about a million questions and :thanks: for noticing!

Yap, there's frickin bananas all over the place...
2012-03-04_Late_hermie.jpg

Too late. This crop is FUBAR.
Half the plants are hermies and the rest looks mostly pollinated. Some calyxes are open with ripe seeds popping out. Even found one in a dry bud I chopped a week ago and ground today. So it's a full blown disaster :thumb:

well in my opinion its not a disaster as seed is expensive, durban poison is a pure breed, the seeds will be female 95% or more, with a few hermies, i think the light stress is what caused it, you have a ton of beautiful bud, breeders work hard to get this, if nanners pop so what your not leaving this crop up much longer right? you can always just give it to me!! lol jm2c its not so bad brother, there is a very bright side, i would be happy as a pig with all that fem seed,,theres no male plant making pollen, theres no male chromosomes, so all female seed, scientifically impossible without a true male plant

Still not sure what to do exactly.
It's not a complete disaster if I do get VIABLE FEMALE SEEDS that are not hermie prone. Actually that would be awesome. It's just not what I had in plan for this grow.
I'm going for 2L SOG for next harvests so a bag full of fem seeds seems like a good alternative to cloning. Hell, I could even plant a DP forest this summer :)
But from what I've read yesterday it takes at least a month from pollination for seeds to be any good. So I should keep em flowering/developing seeds for several weeks more?

Also... how do I "disinfect" my grow room from all that pollen floating around? I have 15 (still) female clones in the other room that I wanted to move under HPS ASAP...

Still not sure what to do exactly.
It's not a complete disaster if I do get VIABLE FEMALE SEEDS that are not hermie prone. Actually that would be awesome. It's just not what I had in plan for this grow.
I'm going for 2L SOG for next harvests so a bag full of fem seeds seems like a good alternative to cloning. Hell, I could even plant a DP forest this summer :)
But from what I've read yesterday it takes at least a month from pollination for seeds to be any good. So I should keep em flowering/developing seeds for several weeks more?

well from the looks of it you have had nanners for a minute or two, i had the same thing happen last year with my trailor trash strain i have grown out several of those seeds i have seen two herms and about 30 females so far, you can check the buds for the current level of seed maturity, i find that 3 weeks is usually long enough for viable seeds, but i have heard different strains have different times, if you wanna wait to be sure i dont see that it will hurt anything,maybe pull a few test buds and quick dry and check for seeds, the colas look big and fat,letting seeds grow wont ruin or shrink them,they will swell more with or without seeds,the idea that seeds ruin a crop and or quality is not accurate in my opinion, i think seed banks kind of drive that idea to keep sales up, years ago before male culling was so popular you got seeds with your weed no big deal the weed still got you very high and tasted just as good
its what the plant does naturally it will not magically turn your plants into useless milkweed !lol it was done so ppl could have seedless weed and be lazy when rolling a doob! and helps the breeder keep his prized genetics from landing in everybodys garden, but in our situation here in this day and age many ppl are new and growing and fall prey to many myths, like seeds are bad! poppycock! without em theres no weed or at least no new strains
i have seen a single seed selling for as much as 30 bucks!! REALLY? can they sleep at night? we growers are not all made of money! i know clones,but thats if you want to keep a grow going at some level 24/7, hmm maybe i wanna go on vacation? so the current state of things is full of myth hype and just plain bullshit! again thats my personal opinion. you have to make up your own mind what works for you, i dont think your going to get a bunch of hermies from the seeds, many of the holy grail strains from the 60's 70's were known to be hermie very consistently, growers counted on that for seed!!
a 2lsog would be awesome with coco hempys, you'll have good yeild for sure, be sure you clean the grow space thoroughly after harvest to get up all the spare pollen,misting with water will neutralize pollen,sorry to rant i just want ppl to be educated and happy with growing, not programed to spend money blindly,,your dp's look awesome you did a good job and the next go round will be even better:thumb::morenutes::high-five::goodjob:

Thanks a lot for the info Doode! +rep to you sir
I'm not as bummed out as when I realized I'll get a bag of mostly seedy weed. Googled a lot of related stuff recently. From what I've read natural hermies produce hermie seed, but stress induced (late) hermies should produce fem seeds. What about self pollinated late hermie seed vs these hermies pollinating females? It's all the same?
I'll grow them for a few more weeks to get as much viable seeds and see what happens when with next crop.

And the next crop will be ~50 plants 2L SOG. What about soil? I still have some of it left and almost full set of soil specific 3(+2) part nutes formula from Hesi. I was thinking about some kind of manual or automated flood and drain setup. Will that work?

im in your shoes now my purple #1 just went all hermie on me from much light stress, i had ballast then bulb go out, anyway the hermie trait is not generally passed on by plants that herm with out stress its genetic, with light stress (your case) they do it to survive, i have had it happen before many times with my trailor trash strain and so long as they dont get light stress i have no problem,right now i have a girl 18 weeks in flower and no sign of herm she was a seed from a plant that hermed from light stress! so from personal experience i dont feel the trait is passed on necessarily, all you can do is grow them out an see, the ability to herm is in all cannabis plants, its causing it on purpose that gives us fem seeds anyway, good luck with your seeds it will be fun to see it play out:welldone:

Back with a major update here... was too lazy to post for the last month.

Gave the ladies an extra 3 to 5 weeks to see how this fem seed stuff plays out. It turns out only one plant was heavily pollinated. The rest are practically seedless... maybe 4-5 seeds per plant.
But the extra time didn't do any damage either. In fact the lower buds gained a lot of extra mass, and the trichs were still mostly milky.

I chopped one 3 weeks ago, another 4 plants a week after that and left the seedy one by the window for some extra light. Seeds seemed like they needed more time but i had to go away for a week and didn't feel like running HPS while im not at home for that long... and just for 1 plant.

I dried the first plant on a net all chopped up, the rest were hanged on a laundry rack.
Here are the (almost) seedless 4 this morning, after 2 weeks of drying...
2012-04-17_Drying_1.jpg

2012-04-17_Drying_3.jpg

...and the seedy one after 1 week:
2012-04-17_Seedy_1.jpg

2012-04-17_Seedy_2.jpg

And finally... the fruits of my labor...
Here are all the seedless goodies stuffed in jars. Well mostly. Ran out of jars for the last plant :p
2012-04-17_Jars.jpg

Total of 414g for 5 plants and the fat one is still hanging :cheer:
Plus 55g of trim...
Plus some seeds that mostly fell of during the manicure of the seedy one. And a chunk or resin i scraped from scissors :p
2012-04-17_Seeds.jpg

Maybe half to 2/3 look viable... anyway there will be a lot more where that came from.

I still can't believe I passed the 1g/watt mark with this strain. Dutch Passion claims yields of 450g per square meter, which is supposed to be in ideal conditions, and I stuffed mine in a 0.8x0.8m space with poor ventilation - one 80mm pc fan :)

On the down side the clones didn't turn out that well. As I had grow room occupid for the extra month I let them grow under 6 CFLs for the rest of flowering. Plus I really neglected them... Maybe I get an ounce or so from that misery...

To conclude with some bud shots. They don't look like much, and won't be winning any beauty contest any time soon, very leafy and fluffy but dam they're tasty... and the smell... sweet Jesus on a cracker. And very potent sh** :p
2012-04-17_Buds_1.jpg

2012-04-17_Buds_2.jpg

2012-04-17_Buds_3.jpg

The last pic is from the plant that got all purple by the end... Mn def or something. Didn't test that one yet but will prolly be OK.

That's it for now... and happy growing :)

Thanks for sharing your grow with us! :cheer:

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine! :Namaste:

I know this is old but can anyone tell me what there best yield off one Durban poison plant (indoors) please, thinking of growing it and would like to know the best way to get the biggest yield. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom