Durban Poison: where’s the stretch?

Vinny133

Hi growers. Looking for some advise from some of you more experienced folks. Growing two Durban Poison billed as 100% sativa by EC Genetics in eastern Canada. Very hearty plants, seeds popped quickly, all going well. Thing is, it’s day 10 since flipping to 12/12 and haven’t seen much stretch, maybe 3-4 inches. Given the fact that these are sativa, I was/am expecting significantly more. Wondering if my expectations at this point are unrealistic.

Growing in coco with 20% perlite, 5 gal GeoPots, feeding Gaia Green Organics dry amendments as well as worm castings. All under 320w PanthrX Mini V1 by Crecer Lighting.

AB1B1133-FE82-4B42-91D0-216E5DFB69FB.jpeg

0DE0A6E5-0C67-4AD5-A7A4-226F61715DBA.jpeg

DEC35BA2-E928-45E7-9470-45CE6149011D.jpeg

Can't comment on the stretch, but they certainly look healthy. What regiment are you using for the Gaiia Green amendments?
I mix the All Purpose 4-4-4, 3 tbsp per gallon of coco when making the pot then 4-5 weeks later and every 3 weeks after, top dress 1 tbsp per gallon. Near the end of veg, I do equal parts All Purpose and Bloom. As I get further into flower, I go heavier on the bloom. I also do a couple of tbsp per gallon of worm castings periodically from beginning to end. I water every other day at around 6.5 and only until I get a small amount of run off.

Hi growers. Looking for some advise from some of you more experienced folks. Growing two Durban Poison billed as 100% sativa by EC Genetics in eastern Canada. Very hearty plants, seeds popped quickly, all going well. Thing is, it’s day 10 since flipping to 12/12 and haven’t seen much stretch, maybe 3-4 inches. Given the fact that these are sativa, I was/am expecting significantly more. Wondering if my expectations at this point are unrealistic.

Growing in coco with 20% perlite, 5 gal GeoPots, feeding Gaia Green Organics dry amendments as well as worm castings. All under 320w PanthrX Mini V1 by Crecer Lighting.
Anytime I top my plants I always notice the stretch to be noticeably less.

Thing is, it’s day 10 since flipping to 12/12 and haven’t seen much stretch, maybe 3-4 inches. Given the fact that these are sativa, I was/am expecting significantly more. Wondering if my expectations at this point are unrealistic.
Hi Vinny... it sounds like you got a true 100% Durban, and that is a long running sativa. With its expected long lifespan we can expect some processes to take a little longer in this easy going plant. My Durbans took a good 10 or 11 days to switch to bloom after the flip, and it looks like yours are doing the same thing. Do yourself a favor and consider this the start of your bloom period... not 10 days ago when you hit the light switch early the first time... it does take a while to transition over to bloom, especially in the long running varieties.
Now that you are officially in bloom however, you can expect stretch to start, and she will stretch with the best of them... expect at least 2x the veg height. Be patient with this special lady... she is not going to let you hurry her.

Hi Vinny... it sounds like you got a true 100% Durban, and that is a long running sativa. With its expected long lifespan we can expect some processes to take a little longer in this easy going plant. My Durbans took a good 10 or 11 days to switch to bloom after the flip, and it looks like yours are doing the same thing. Do yourself a favor and consider this the start of your bloom period... not 10 days ago when you hit the light switch early the first time... it does take a while to transition over to bloom, especially in the long running varieties.
Now that you are officially in bloom however, you can expect stretch to start, and she will stretch with the best of them... expect at least 2x the veg height. Be patient with this special lady... she is not going to let you hurry her.
Thanks so much for the detailed insight, appreciate you taking the time. If I’m not mistaken, you helped me out last time.

I mix the All Purpose 4-4-4, 3 tbsp per gallon of coco when making the pot then 4-5 weeks later and every 3 weeks after, top dress 1 tbsp per gallon. Near the end of veg, I do equal parts All Purpose and Bloom. As I get further into flower, I go heavier on the bloom. I also do a couple of tbsp per gallon of worm castings periodically from beginning to end. I water every other day at around 6.5 and only until I get a small amount of run off.

I am going to give it a shot, many say that dry organic amendments are just not doable in Coco, but see many have done so with success. Your grow looks very healthy. From what I have read worm castings help considerably as they help give the microbes a place to populate and to keep the coco moist, never let it dry out or the microbes will go dormmate and the amendments will not have a chance to break down..

I think you might have your light a little low causing closer node spacing & less stretch. I say that because I see some Taco leaves. It could also be the strain itself. Never grew that one so I can't say if they are known to be smaller.
What are taco , leaves..never heard the term before.

Durbs should at least double in size. It takes about a month to 6 weeks for stretch to run it course outdoors. Have a look through either of my older journals for info on Durbs or if you want to see how they stretched.
Will do

I am going to give it a shot, many say that dry organic amendments are just not doable in Coco, but see many have done so with success. Your grow looks very healthy. From what I have read worm castings help considerably as they help give the microbes a place to populate and to keep the coco moist, never let it dry out or the microbes will go dormmate and the amendments will not have a chance to break down..
Well, I’m certainly no pro but I have been growing for around 3 years. With the exception of a couple of runs, I have always used coco. I found the yield a bit better and fewer pests than dirt. The dirt runs were either Foxfarm Ocean Forest or Happy Frog. Anyway, I have been told many times that coco and dry amendments don’t work well but the results speak for themselves. So much easier too. I just water every other day ph’d to around 6.5, +/- 1. I will attach some pics of past results.

8CC2F5E8-E747-4BDB-874B-9BA96A0D53CB.jpeg

32DC43F0-BA17-400F-8E9A-EF4CBC8653AE.jpeg

968D87D7-651C-4AB4-A131-7F25931E82BD.jpeg

8C13D5A1-64F1-44F5-A428-CB2707787902.jpeg

Well, I’m certainly no pro but I have been growing for around 3 years. With the exception of a couple of runs, I have always used coco. I found the yield a bit better and fewer pests than dirt. The dirt runs were either Foxfarm Ocean Forest or Happy Frog. Anyway, I have been told many times that coco and dry amendments don’t work well but the results speak for themselves. So much easier too. I just water every other day ph’d to around 6.5, +/- 1. I will attach some pics of past results.

8CC2F5E8-E747-4BDB-874B-9BA96A0D53CB.jpeg

32DC43F0-BA17-400F-8E9A-EF4CBC8653AE.jpeg

968D87D7-651C-4AB4-A131-7F25931E82BD.jpeg

8C13D5A1-64F1-44F5-A428-CB2707787902.jpeg
Looks like it is working just fine to me! Keep up the good work!

Well, certainly can't argue with your success, all look very good. See a bit of tip burn on one of the pics, so likely not short on nutrients.

Hi Vinny133

I agree with Emilya's and others' statements about Durban, the long-running sativa! I grew Durban this year in my now harvested grow, which was an outdoor grow. Durban started flowering weeks after all other strains, and the stretch was of course later. I harvested her last, on November 2. But this weed is the most enjoyable out of the grow, I have to add. What a great buzz and the aroma is just delicious! Enjoy!

Cheers

Emeraldo

AB1B1133-FE82-4B42-91D0-216E5DFB69FB.jpeg

0DE0A6E5-0C67-4AD5-A7A4-226F61715DBA.jpeg

DEC35BA2-E928-45E7-9470-45CE6149011D.jpeg
Beautiful set up.
Nice work Vinny.
A true sativa can take longer to start her stretch.
Are you phing everything to 5.8.
They do look a touch hungry. :Namaste:
Stay safe.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom